• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Keep in mind, Terry and SNK where hardly talked about before the Smash website goof up. I'm aware that this'd have to be an even more obscure company after all these disconfirmations, but Smash fans hardly show to be good guessers for whose to come. For all we know, it might even be a defunct company with an IP lost to time or something.
The only thing I'd absolutely cross out are meme picks from horrible games people just jump on because apparently being a bad franchise makes you worthy or something stupid like that, even if it's ironic, everytime I see somebody mention something like Bubsy I want to tear my hair out.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Eventually, Sakurai is going to push so far against making obvious choices that the next season of DLC ends with an OC designed by one of his interns.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, Terry and SNK where hardly talked about before the Smash website goof up. I'm aware that this'd have to be an even more obscure company after all these disconfirmations, but Smash fans hardly show to be good guessers for whose to come. For all we know, it might even be a defunct company with an IP lost to time or something.
...CiNG???

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eventually, Sakurai is going to push so far against making obvious choices that the next season of DLC ends with an OC designed by one of his interns.
I actually joked about this idea earlier today, but eh, I think going for an OC during DLC is...a risky move, to say the least, for a crossover game like Smash that is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, I just remembered, Grasshopper Manufacture still hasn't been mentioned by Verge, and most think Travis is deconfirmed due to Suda apparently thinking he isn't worthy yet.

It feels like outright lying is something Suda would do.

I keep telling people they're sleeping on League, but they never listen. XD

Jokes aside, even if you forego Sony and CDPR there's Riot, Valve's other IPs, Type Moon and Cygames. Still a few companies alive.
I think about Interplay (none of you bring up Jim's creator for a second or I'll throw a :bobomb:, Konami are also jerks and we still got their characters).

Come to think of it, Granzella has Irem's IPs, right? It could be Gen-San.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Vergeben just had to update while I was sleeping. I guess I'll keep a small grain of hope left just in case.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll be honest with you guys, I don't think I've ever heard of cing, granzella or irem until this very day lol.
Okay, I just remembered, Grasshopper Manufacture still hasn't been mentioned by Verge, and most think Travis is deconfirmed due to Suda apparently thinking Travis isn't worthy yet.

It feels like outright lying is something Suda would do.
Suda is a prankster, but aren't Marvelous and Ubisoft the publishers of NMH in the east and west respectively? If that doesn't matter, I guess you could call him a frontrunner for what speculators normally pick.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll be honest with you guys, I don't think I've ever heard of cing, granzella or irem until this very day lol.

Suda is a prankster, but aren't Marvelous and Ubisoft the publishers of NMH in the east and west respectively? If that doesn't matter, I guess you could call him a frontrunner for what speculators normally pick.
NMH has never stuck to any one publisher (NMH1 HD was by Konami), it's as much a Marvelous property as :ultbayonetta: is a Nintendo one.

Heck, Travis Strikes Again was published by Nintendo themselves on the Switch.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Finally...Kyle Hyde gets the respect he deserves.
Actually, Verg said no Spirits either, as I recall, so unless we're getting a non-Kyle, non-Ashley Cing rep, they're out too. The DLC's new official tagline: NO ONE IS HERE!

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Well, i got back to my senses, i guess. I don't really know what to believe anymore, but nothing is lost until the FP5 get's confirmed.
I'm still praying for Phoenix!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
It should be mentioned, Sabi has yet to comment on the issue. Probably still sleeping after the joke post she's made.
Also worth mentioning is that Jon Cartwright (GameXplain's resident British dude) just got preeeeetty incensed at Sabi/Verg on Twitter, and basically stated they have absolutely nothing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also worth mentioning is that Jon Cartwright (GameXplain's resident British dude) just got preeeeetty incensed at Sabi/Verg on Twitter, and basically stated they have absolutely nothing.
Sounds to me like he despises the entire Smash leaker scene by principle now and just tells people to be bloody patient, and doesn't appreciate seeing his name getting dragged around and taken for granted.

At this rate the entire thing will end with everyone being left in stunned silence by FP5, and completely stop researching info for a few months.

It's just a game, you know.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Here's something else to keep in mind. Geoff was the ONLY one on the TGA team to know about Joker. Geoff could be spreading misinformation to deter leaks.
Do I think the leakers could be fed this misinformation? Yes. Do I think our blue boy could still have a chance? Most likely.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's something else to keep in mind. Geoff was the ONLY one on the TGA team to know about Joker. Geoff could be spreading misinformation to deter leaks.
Do I think the leakers could be fed this misinformation? Yes. Do I think our blue boy could still have a chance? Most likely.
Sounds legit. Everyone thinks big companies do the baiting, but the culprit is the one that no one takes seriously. His revenge for people making fun of last year's VGAs.

But just in case, I'll still assume it's not someone big at all.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
while I agree it's good to take leakers word with a grain of salt and that verge/sabi sources could be given all sorts of false information, I don't really like the wording on how they stated their conspiracy theory isn't crazy just because verges latest claim is nutty. Might be a me thing, but more often than not, these sort of "verge/sabi is wrong" sound more like upset posters that their favorite were yeeted out by these 2 than super rational theories. Not like it's news that smash fans can be assholes about trying to prove their point anyhow.
Either way, I don't really feel too hopeful about anyone that I care about being next, regardless of whether all of verges claims are true or not, so I'm just pretty eh on who fighter 5 could be as a whole now.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Worth noting that verge did post in a "No sony disconfirmation?" thread where he mentioned Cloud was in a game for a Nintendo system before (however small that cameo was) before getting into Smash in reply to another of the comments. Does it mean anything? Eh, probably not, I might be reading too much into it, but for those who were jumping on the Sony bandwagon already...
I do wonder how wilder things will get if TGA comes and there's no fighter 5 in sight after this turn of events.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Worth noting that verge did post in a "No sony disconfirmation?" thread where he mentioned Cloud was in a game for a Nintendo system before (however small that cameo was) before getting into Smash in reply to another of the comments. Does it mean anything? Eh, probably not, I might be reading too much into it, but for those who were jumping on the Sony bandwagon already...
I do wonder how wilder things will get if TGA comes and there's no fighter 5 in sight after this turn of events.
Well, ostensibly, he doesn't actually know who the character is at all, and is claiming he's only been told who it's not, himself. So it's likely that, if he indeed has a source, and they indeed know who it is, they just haven't told him (or he for some reason hasn't asked) if it's Sony or not.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I’m still holding out hope for the Ultimate Turnabout, where Phoenix proves Sabi/Verge guilty for their crimes against the speculation scene, but I really don’t know who to trust at this point. Either way, I can’t wait for whoever it is!

Sonsa

Smash Champion

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Lets suppose Geoff is messing around with leaker sources for the sake of surprises, then my question is...why is this seemingly just for Smash Ultimate and nothing else? Isn't that kind of weird? I know Smash is big, but so are a lot of the supposed games that sabi and others teased (like the new Crash and Rocksteady Batman game). I don't get why he'd just play this strategy game for that alone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And. Here. We. Go.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Lets suppose Geoff is messing around with leaker sources for the sake of surprises, then my question is...why is this seemingly just for Smash Ultimate and nothing else? Isn't that kind of weird? I know Smash is big, but so are a lot of the supposed games that sabi and others teased (like the new Crash and Rocksteady Batman game). I don't get why he'd just play this strategy game for that alone.
It's simple; he knows just how much the Smash Effect increases publicity for things, and milks it for all its worth now that the relatively young VGAs has the chance to feature a Smash game. Exclusive info that no one but his event knows about, when he gets the chance.

Heck, he cited how Joker's reveal was his fave moment from last year.

Also...

I actually joked about this idea earlier today, but eh, I think going for an OC during DLC is...a risky move, to say the least, for a crossover game like Smash that is.
Maybe, but people fondly remember MvC2's Amingo and Ruby Heart to this day, so you never know I guess. Even :ultpiranha: got embraced after the fact. :drshrug:

:ultmiifighters: are supposedly Smash reps, but are still based on an existing concept.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I really hope it's Phoenix but if not, I just want it to be a character I can be hyped for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so among other Western devs that aren't deconfirmed yet…
  • THQ Nordic, who currently own the Giana Sisters license
  • Gearbox Software, the current owners for Duke Nukem
  • Digital Extreme, the developers for Warframe (granted, DE's VGAs announcement may not be related to Smash at all, but I won't overlook them)

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
2b was developed by platinumGames

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
2b was developed by platinumGames
nier/drakengard is owned by Square, that's a supposed no (not like I needed verges comment to expect no more SE characters anyhow).
Okay, so among other Western devs that aren't deconfirmed yet…
  • THQ Nordic, who currently own the Giana Sisters license
  • Gearbox Software, the current owners for Duke Nukem
  • Digital Extreme, the developers for Warframe (granted, DE's VGAs announcement may not be related to Smash at all, but I won't overlook them)
It's funny how THQ came back despite filling for bankrupt not that long ago. Wouldn't a Darksiders character be their main choice if it happened tho? Maybe I'm overestimating how popular that is.
I got no clue on how Gearbox gets along with Ninty post WiiU, but I'd probably see someone from borderlands over Duke Nukem with how that feels like their poster franchise at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom