• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Most CiNG characters are out then because they were published by Nintendo or Marvelous

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's not a matter of the dev/publisher as much as whose the owner of the IP. It's why often KH was such a mess to discuss about as there was a lot of confusion on who owned what for a while.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sabi has officially gotten tired of this ****, it looks like:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I can agree with this, it really is the damned Grinch/box debate all over again.

It's funny how THQ came back despite filling for bankrupt not that long ago. Wouldn't a Darksiders character be their main choice if it happened tho? Maybe I'm overestimating how popular that is.
I got no clue on how Gearbox gets along with Ninty post WiiU, but I'd probably see someone from borderlands over Duke Nukem with how that feels like their poster franchise at the moment.
Maybe, but it'd be a missed opportunity to not have :ultmario: square off against who used to be a character who rode off of his own success back in the Commodore days. It'd be poetic, really.

In any case, I never overlook the possibility of Sakurai being inclined to go for who's the most memorable underdog, over what's recent and popular.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Like, I don't believe verge without a shred of a doubt, but I don't think sabi is doing any favours just saying they have lost all credibility when all she has done is disconfirm as well, even if not to the same extreme as verge lol. I guess we won't know until the very last moment or until someone else with a supposed good record comes to chip in on their look on the matter of fighter 5 (I think papagenos dubbed piranha plant the guy who leaked some Nintendo stuff beforehand?).

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Like, I don't believe verge without a shred of a doubt, but I don't think sabi is doing any favours just saying they have lost all credibility when all she has done is disconfirm as well, even if not to the same extreme as verge lol. I guess we won't know until the very last moment or until someone else with a supposed good record comes to chip in on their look on the matter of fighter 5 (I think papagenos dubbed piranha plant the guy who leaked some Nintendo stuff beforehand?).
After Geoff claimed he was the only one who knew about Joker, I'm starting to cast doubt on all leakers. This is probably what Geoff wants.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh and by the way, PushDustIn decided to toss a silly theory into what's already a huge pile of them:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Oh and by the way, PushDustIn decided to toss a silly theory into what's already a huge pile of them:

And then at least one person on GameFAQs proposed it in earnest as a point of discussion.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

This is way too silly... It's just an anniversary picture.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It also feels like how the team would spread fake leaks, they wouldn't want to spread "It's Sora" or "It's Waluigi" and give fans hope, so we're getting these weird "deconfirmations" when that's not how leaks even work pwshh

As for the Daisy thing, yeah, I can't believe some people are actually taking it seriously...! They needed balance to the picture and had Piranha Plant, a DLC character, next to Mario, and decided to balance it with the other Mario character new to the series, but oh well, if people are having fun then go ahead!

We're 5 days away and it seems like these leakers have sort of...quit! They have to suspect they're being messed with too, I wonder what they might say in the next few days!

Krankees

Smash Ace
How did things get so out of control. Everything seemed alright a few days ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I honestly thought this whole week would be boring, then suddenly yesterday went from "Sora ain't in yet" and "Ultimate probably won't be at VGAs?" as the biggest news to last evening being "everyone died, the end".

By this Thursday, everyone is going to want to scream this out:

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I honestly thought this whole week would be boring, then suddenly yesterday went from "Sora ain't in yet" and "Ultimate probably won't be at VGAs?" as the biggest news to last evening being "everyone died, the end".

By this Thursday, everyone is going to want to scream this out:

After all this mayhem, I'm not entirely sure the Smash community won't just explode into a billion pieces if they don't reveal a fighter at TGAs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After all this mayhem, I'm not entirely sure the Smash community won't just explode into a billion pieces if they don't reveal a fighter at TGAs.
Maybe then, at least the general thread would become tolerable, for once.

People need to learn that they have no control over reality, only the ballot affects most of the outcome, even if only a little.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I mean, everytime there's leaks things get out of control. But ever since actual names that were suggested like Hayabusa or Doom Slayer got the axe and since we've mostly gotten "no, it's not x", things only got worse as there's no real frontrunner or something. If things looked chill here, it's because our character of choice had been surviving all these slaughters so far, what doesn't help is that Verge now decided to kill almost every commonly discussed character from the last few months so people just don't know what to believe in anymore, whether who the hell is next or if these leakers even have any credibility left in them.
While I'm curious to how things will turn out, I honestly have more important things coming up this week than whatever they announce for Smash to worry too much about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I'm curious to how things will turn out, I honestly have more important things coming up this week than whatever they announce for Smash to worry too much about it.
Yeah, you should do something to pass the time anyway, just talking about this is making it slower than it should be.

On my end, the next Nitro-Fueled Grand Prix should be announced on Wednesday, so I'll definitely be kept busy on the day of the VGAs.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll say that this thread isn't too bad about how things are going right now, if anything, we had jokes ready for our worst case scenario
>Vergeben upon seeing everyone hoping for Phoenix Wright to pull a turnabout and make it into the Fighter 5 spot...
I love how perfect for dumb reactions the old AA animations are. Although to be fair, verge probably feels more akin to those moments where neither the defense or prosecution even know what's going on anymore and both are just left sort of astounded at the newly presented evidence.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If it doesn't happen, we'll all still be around, waiting in the wings for our boy for the next year or so, let's be honest.

Minutes? With Sabi, it could be weeks before we get a (non-committal) answer.
Honestly, I just want Sabi to suddenly go all-out completely at-odds with Verg, if for no other reason than to generate discussion. Verg Thanos Snapping the entire game industry makes for fairly dull pre-TGA speculation. It won't happen, but I want it to.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I love how perfect for dumb reactions the old AA animations are.
Seeing some of these reminds me just how good the old sprite art is. I wish Capcom would do a rerelease with the GBA sprites instead of the IOS ones someday, they had more charm imo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If it doesn't happen, we'll all still be around, waiting in the wings for our boy for the next year or so, let's be honest.

Honestly, I just want Sabi to suddenly go all-out completely at-odds with Verg, if for no other reason than to generate discussion. Verg Thanos Snapping the entire game industry makes for fairly dull pre-TGA speculation. It won't happen, but I want it to.
I dunno, all the back-and-forth on who or what to believe is pretty tiring imo. If someone's gonna say something at this point I'd rather the character just get revealed.

The slow stream of disconfirmations was neat because it was like a slow guessing game but at this point everyone's so blindsided that there's nowhere else to go.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, all the back-and-forth on who or what to believe is pretty tiring imo. If someone's gonna say something at this point I'd rather the character just get revealed.

The slow stream of disconfirmations was neat because it was like a slow guessing game but at this point everyone's so blindsided that there's nowhere else to go.
That much is true, yeah, but at this stage, the alternative to Sabi going completely against Verg isn't a character reveal, it's just bland, unhelpful agreement with Verg's Big List Of Nope.

But yeah, the two best options right now are someone just dropping the character unequivocally, or everyone shutting up for a few days so we can just have them revealed organically.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Whatever Sabi will reveal, I just hope she doesn't straight out say the name of the 5th character. In general I hope the character doesn't get leaked beforehand. At this point I just want to be surprised during the Game Awards. Best case scenario: She contradicts Vergebens claim by saying that the sources were mistaken.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Seeing some of these reminds me just how good the old sprite art is. I wish Capcom would do a rerelease with the GBA sprites instead of the IOS ones someday, they had more charm imo.
imo, the updated iOS sprites are horrible. The reduced frames really make the animations look super choppy, and I dunno, the cleaner look makes them feel less expressive somehow. I don't neccesarily dislike HD sprites, but I hate when they try to apply that to a pixel based sprite game, it's why I also can't stand the updated look of TWEWY.
Somehow, someway, there'll be some dumb text leak that'll have gotten fighter 5, like it happened with PP. It just probably won't be believed until the reveal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Verg and Sabi be like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twt26nSn8Y

Somehow, someway, there'll be some dumb text leak that'll have gotten fighter 5, like it happened with PP. It just probably won't be believed until the reveal.
That's the safest bet at this point, honestly. Bonus points if it's ALSO from 4Chan.

everyone shutting up for a few days so we can just have them revealed organically.
I can't tell you how much I want this. Don't care whether the next character matters to me or not, I just want everyone to shut up and move to something else.

It's not fun to speculate if your opinion constantly gets shut down by some random fan, user or party.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I can't tell you how much I want this. Don't care whether the next character matters to me or not, I just want everyone to shut up and move to something else.

It's not fun to speculate if your opinion constantly gets shut down by some random fan, user or party.
Twitter is probably the worst at this, I don't really bother checking general threads here, but social media feels more like "it's not who I want, so no way it's happening". There's at least some degree of worthwhile arguments in the few threads where I post in SB.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Smash speculation has collapsed in on itself, so much even the leakers are just throwing up their arms as if to say "it's whoever you want it to be, sure".

All I have to say on the matter is:
daisytheory.jpg

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Out of all "leaks" that are literally just text on a forum post... this is the one I'm most inclined to believe.

Why? Well, it predicted Terry's release date (accurately so, even if it's not hard to guess) and Phoenix Wright as Fighter 5... and that's it. It got straight to the point and only gave the bare minimum details, without saying anything else that would seem ridiculous like "Phoenix Wright's reveal will coincide with Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy 2 on Switch, including Apollo Justice and the Investigations games, and an Ace Attorney 7 reveal" or "Phoenix Wright will be revealed at the Game Awards along with all these other super specific announcements like Marvel vs. Capcom 4 and a Monster Hunter remake".

Granted, this is still just a text leak, so I'm not saying it's absolutely true, just the one that seems the most believable to me.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Out of all "leaks" that are literally just text on a forum post... this is the one I'm most inclined to believe.

Why? Well, it predicted Terry's release date (accurately so, even if it's not hard to guess) and Phoenix Wright as Fighter 5... and that's it. It got straight to the point and only gave the bare minimum details, without saying anything else that would seem ridiculous like "Phoenix Wright's reveal will coincide with Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy 2 on Switch, including Apollo Justice and the Investigations games, and an Ace Attorney 7 reveal" or "Phoenix Wright will be revealed at the Game Awards along with all these other super specific announcements like Marvel vs. Capcom 4 and a Monster Hunter remake".

Granted, this is still just a text leak, so I'm not saying it's absolutely true, just the one that seems the most believable to me.
I've been following the speculation scene and this leak appeared before people were even speculating the November 6th date.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman

It's definitely true that most accurate text leaks are ones that give the least detail, but at the same time, I can't imagine how many low-detail/low-effort text leaks get posted that just aren't circulated because they aren't seen as interesting enough to circulate. I'm not inclined to believe this leak, but if Phoenix was in, I wouldn't be surprised that an apparently-unremarkable leak like that was the one that called it.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Just for those of you who missed the Piranha Plant leak - this was the leak that got no recognition at all beforehand:

96acaa675ead616624d306d975da9e9d29c2933er1-1280-720v2_hq.jpg

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712

I want this to be true, and it sounds credible... but I can't help but wonder if I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses or if my bias is making this sound more credible than its worth. It has things going for it (those things being its lack of things), but I'm airing on the side of caution and skepticism.

Krankees

Smash Ace
What made me want to believe it was the fact that out of all the possible characters, Phoenix wright was the one that showed up.

Still trying to keep my expectations low though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom