• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, but it's either making these interactions for every character and then not getting new ones (like Navigation for Joker or Gruntilda for Banjo) or sharing the workload between interactions and not getting as many for each.

Either way, in game dev, blood sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

I'd still be happy with Phoenix, even if we got no special interactions with him.
I'm glad that they're sticking with the guidances for each base game regardless, even if Viridi's VA is much lamer now. Less complicated that way (even if Grunty rhymes would take the least effort, they'd still need Rare approval).

At least :ultlucas:doesn't feel left out despite being a Brawl veteran anymore.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think any Smash related dream I had will surpass maximilian dood revealing his father as the last DLC fighter.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
All right, y’all, who’s ready to have no idea for the rest of the week before TGA, suffer and squirm in agonizing uncertainty, only to have the character definitively leaked the day before/of the event, when you’re finally willing to just deal with it and wait?

Because such is the way of the universe.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
One think that makes me sad is that if Phoenix gets in as DLC. We won't get some Ace Attorney material that could totally be in if he was in the base game.
Like some secret chatting with Maya. The gag potential is huge there.

Like this:

Makes me wish to see more for the full cast.
I love this. If we get one for Joker, they should definitely reference Mask DeMasque.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
God, even though I still want to hype responsibly and err on the side of caution, last night I had a dream that he really was revealed at TGAs. Sakurai even made a surprise appearance to intro the trailer.
I keep getting confused about who you are since you changed your pfp.
I once had a dream where the fighters where against a giant wind-up toy of Wario that was just sitting there, and whose head was severed, while also having to dodge :bobomb:s.

My dreams are so boring...
Dude that sounds sick

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sora not looking good is a huge shock to me, but I could also see him being kept under lock and key. And yet, still no definitive Capcom update. Interesting.

I keep getting confused about who you are since you changed your pfp.
Sorry~. If it helps, I plan to stick with this one for a long while.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Didn't the KH producer said no Sora by the time we were getting closer to Heros reveal? I personally don't think he'll ever happen in Smash, but I'd say that was already a bad look for the current FP anyhow.
And hey, another disconfirmation with no word on Capcom, I thought surely they'd be next if this train continued.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I had a dream of a Phoenix/Shadow dual reveal.
Basically it's a usual Ace Attorney case, with Joker as the defendant and Shadow as the prosecutor, due to the fact that Shadow's invitation was the one that Joker stole in his reveal trailer.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Just relaying this out there, but Sabi has said something about Sora and it doesn't seem good.
https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1203001016762822656?s=19
Sora seemed kinda obvious to deconfirm because we already have an Square Enix character. Yes. I know he's owned by Disney. But to get him, you have to go to Square Enix and talk to Nomura.

Capcom and Phoenix Wright have been the hot topic since the Namco and Level 5 deconfirmation. Why did Sabi bother to get info on Sora instead of you know... the actual hot topic??

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So basically everything is disconfirmed except Capcom, and Dante, Wright's only real competition, has been specifically namedropped and disconfirmed. I think it might be time.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Now the conversation has switched from Phoenix VS Sora to Phoenix VS Sol Badguy.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The Geno thread seems to be going full steam ahead on Sol Badguy. They believe Capcom got deconfirmed despite the arguments about it.

I still don't understand when his name started popping up. But it kinda came out of nowhere and people just started accepting it as fact.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
So basically everything is disconfirmed except Capcom, and Dante, Wright's only real competition, has been specifically namedropped and disconfirmed. I think it might be time.
God, I wish I had this optimism. I have the hope. I just don’t have the optimism. I honestly had more confidence that Banjo was in than I do about Phoenix. I need someone of repute to name-drop him, just once. Then I can start to approach believing.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Now the conversation has switched from Phoenix VS Sora to Phoenix VS Sol Badguy.
that's a win win for me!
But seriously, while all these disconfirmations are good for Wright, it doesn't guarantee he's next. Sakurai and co could easily surprise us, whether it is a character barely discussed or breaking patterns from all 3rd parties/no dupes on companies already in the DLC. I'm optimistic, but I don't think jumping to conclusions will be good for any of us until at least one of our supposed leakers gives the ok at least (and even that can be wrong).
I'm surprised ArcSys wasn't kicked out alongside Falcom though

Krankees

Smash Ace
It's possible and I would still be hyped if it was Sol, but we already got Terry. I doubt we would get two characters with quarter circle motions in the same pass.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, I don't think it's Sol that might beat out Phoenix. It's Travis Touchdown. Imo it's Phoenix or Travis.
I agree with this. With how many companies are out of the running, Travis is low-key increasingly likely. He really is probably Phoenix’s closest competition.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The Geno thread seems to be going full steam ahead on Sol Badguy. They believe Capcom got deconfirmed despite the arguments about it.
Well, the deconfirmation for Capcom came from the Geno thread, and that thread pretty much lives in its own little bubble, so I'm not surprised.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I imagine Sol just popped up by process of elimination from notorious 3rd party JP devs that haven't been disconfirmed yet (debatable as that term might be, although I guess ArcSys earned a reputation boost after FighterZ). I wouldn't take his chances too seriously for fighter 5, no matter how much I might wish for it if Capcom is out of the running.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If Sol gets in. I'm calling it. The traditional fighting game character becomes the new anime swordman.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Sol gets in. I'm calling it. The traditional fighting game character becomes the new anime swordman.
I still would prefer that honestly. I just think most fighting characters don't bring anything new to the table as those characters tend to feel the same as the game they come from.

A lot of the fun of smash for me is seeing characters fight you wouldn't normally see fight in that environment and seeing how Sakurai can possibly make them work.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While I don't think Sols gonna happen next (or probably throughout the entirety of the DLC tbh), calling him niche and then saying Travis is Phoenix main competition is uh....you guys know NMH is quite the sales bomb right? I think Travis Strikes Again might have sold even worse than NMH2 lol.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
While I don't think Sols gonna happen next (or probably throughout the entirety of the DLC tbh), calling him niche and then saying Travis is Phoenix main competition is uh....you guys know NMH is quite the sales bomb right? I think Travis Strikes Again might have sold even worse than NMH2 lol.
It is true how smash speculation tends to stay in a small bubble. And in that small bubble forms even smaller bubbles that ignore the other smaller bubbles until its a character they all agree with.

I think Travis is one of those characters and the Smash community tends to overestimate how likely and how wanted he actually is.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I thought Travis was already deconfirmed by the creator of NMH. That's what I heard anyway.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I think Travis is one of those characters and the Smash community tends to overestimate how likely and how wanted he actually is.
Yes and no. I mostly think he has a shot because so many actual contenders are out of the running. When you wipe out almost the whole field of most likely characters, someone like Travis starts to have a shot.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sora (...) being kept under lock and key.
I don't know which is worse: the fact that this seemed unintentional or the fact that this is peak humor according to my current mental state.

Either way... at this point, if I can't even bet on Sora if Phoenix gets shot down... there's a good chance I'll be disappointed in CP5, because I also can't see anyone double dipping.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It is true how smash speculation tends to stay in a small bubble. And in that small bubble forms even smaller bubbles that ignore the other smaller bubbles until its a character they all agree with.

Like, it's not that I find Travis impossible, I'd even agree he's likelier than Sol in particular, if only because the first game is considered a Wii cult classic (despite later getting ported to PS3 and the game being frankly nothing short of a mixed bag in reception given how particular it is in its design), but I find ridiculous that a 3 entry franchise that only had some surprising sales on the west in contrast to the disaster that it was in JP with the first game and has only gone downhill since in terms of sales could be considered more pedigree and recognizable than THE anime fighter that's been going on for a good 2 decades and I believe introduced concepts such as air dodges, bursts and cancels to the genre.
Neither are super well known in the end, but I believe one does have the benefit of having a larger history and influence at least compared to an action game that probably wouldn't have gained anywhere near as much traction if it wasn't on a system with such an unremarcable 3rd party support as the Wii (I know this is another point of debate).
And don't take this as me hating the idea of Travis in Smash, I just don't think he's this underdog with hidden amazing chances to get in the game that some claim he is although I'll say I don't really care for his potential moveset

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sora not looking good is a huge shock to me, but I could also see him being kept under lock and key. And yet, still no definitive Capcom update. Interesting.

Sorry~. If it helps, I plan to stick with this one for a long while.
I'll get used to it, but you'll always be piano girl to me.

(Maybe I should start actually looking at people's usernames too, but reading's hard~)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Besides Capcom who hasn't been deconfirmed (Whatever if the Geno thread wants to believe in a random post), I don't see many other candidates that aren't niche. I know Terry was niche. But he represents an entire company that influenced the fighting game genre.
It could be.. Sol? Travis? Sakura? Neku Sakuraba?
Or it's a Nintendo character and it has been under our noses the entire time.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
It feels like the biggest contender are Phoenix, Sol, and Reimu. I would honestly love it if any of them is fighter 5.

Now watch us being all wrong, with Amateratsu being fighter 5.

StormC

Smash Hero
I always take Sabi with a heaping amount of salt, but Sora as #5 was never on the table for me. Feels more like a wave 2 character.

Top Bottom