• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Vergeben is most likely being cautious. He hasn't had a great year predicting stuff, and he purged a lot of credible sources from his contacts thanks to Star Fox Grand Prix being fake.

He probably feels like his credibility is hurt and he really needs to get this Smash character correct in order to regain his standing. That's why he refuses to deconfirm any companies he's not entirely sure about.

This is all just a giant assumption though I've never met the guy.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Meanwhile, some info that's actually worthwhile has been leaked by the most unlikely source:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

10 new games and projects at the VGAs. Chew on that for a bit...
I wonder what “bad information” he is referring to the internet having. Obviously he’s talking about incorrect leaks, but what? I haven’t heard many.

The only decent rumors/leaks I’ve heard is “new Crash game” and RE3 on PSN, which maybe just won’t be revealed at TGA but rather at Jump Festa, but that seems odd.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope those come with actual footage instead of boring drawn out cinematic trailers of nothingness.

Because I will need coffee for that night. I might need to order some from Godot to stay awake like last year.
I can reliably expect the next Crash project to have some, after all VV shouldn't have worked on thin air for the last couple of years.

StormC

Smash Hero
Vergeben is most likely being cautious. He hasn't had a great year predicting stuff, and he purged a lot of credible sources from his contacts thanks to Star Fox Grand Prix being fake.

He probably feels like his credibility is hurt and he really needs to get this Smash character correct in order to regain his standing. That's why he refuses to deconfirm any companies he's not entirely sure about.

This is all just a giant assumption though I've never met the guy.
Like I said in the other thread, if he's wrong about this and a company/character he deconfirmed is FP5, his Smash credibility is donezo. It's a do or die moment for him.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have to watch someone else stream TGAs or something, because there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to sit through the whole thing unfiltered as I wait for a single trailer.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Like I said in the other thread, if he's wrong about this and a company/character he deconfirmed his FP5, his Smash credibility is donezo. It's a do or die moment for him.
That said, the last time it happened was the Grinch Leak, and we all know how it ended. Really doubt he'd put this much credibility at stake if he wasn't sure of it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm going to have to watch someone else stream TGAs or something, because there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to sit through the whole thing unfiltered as I wait for a single trailer.
I was watching it on mute we work last year. I stopped paying attention and tuned back in right at the Joker reveal. Let's just say I was confused for a good few minutes.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I was watching it on mute we work last year. I stopped paying attention and tuned back in right at the Joker reveal. Let's just say I was confused for a good few minutes.
In fairness, I was watching with sound almost the entire time (a mistake), and I was also confused for several minutes after Joker's reveal.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just think it's fun to watch with friends because you can either get excited by trailers, make jokes during the sillier bits, and generally have fun watching people fall all over themselves to talk about videogames. Plus sometimes it's a fun event and crazy **** like Joker happens.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
this is how I've been watching just about every game event for the last 5 or so years-ish, really helps poke fun at how drawn out some segments are and some of the sillier bits (like all the prizes RDR2 won last year).

StormC

Smash Hero
I'mma just have it on low volume and be playing Pokemon while waiting for the Smash reveal that will probably be at the very end.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What sucks is that it's right before 2 finals I am scared for. Am I am gonna be tempted to watch it instead of studying.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
What sucks is that it's right before 2 finals I am scared for. Am I am gonna be tempted to watch it instead of studying.
Just think about the nightmare scenario in which you waste a whole evening watching TGAs and there isn't a Smash reveal, though.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
As someone who was working on an college essay the same night Joker's reveal happened.
Leave the transmition on and study at the same time. You will be so bored by the VGA that you are going to end up lowering the audio and focusing on studying anyway, and when you finish. You will see the reveal happening (Was that my prize for finishing the essay on time, God?).

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Just think about the nightmare scenario in which you waste a whole evening watching TGAs and there isn't a Smash reveal, though.
I do more than think about it. I expect the nightmare scenario :v

As someone who was working on an college essay the same night Joker's reveal happened.
Leave the transmition on and study at the same time. You will be so bored by the VGA that you are going to end up lowering the audio and focusing on studying anyway, and when you finish. You will see the reveal happening (Was that my prize for finishing the essay on time, God?).
I'm not really good at multitasking like that. I can't even listen to music because I get to preoccupied finding a song I want to listen to and not wanting to listen to it anyway after I play it for a few seconds.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn't go to bed until after the Smash Bros. Lifelight orchestra. I've been preparing myself for this event by going to bed earlier every day, as often as possible. Mostly because it's boring on here right now.

Also, I can go take a leak (natural needs, not the Internet!) if stuff I don't care about comes up. Also also, brush my teeth before it starts.

I was confused when Pepe the King Prawn showed up. I'm not sure how they decided to have a Muppet show up as a guest, so it made me think the event was a fever dream for a bit.

Incidentally, that's what I thought about last year. I was ready to give up when midnight approached, until the power went out.

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I know how you feel, in the same dilemma, I won't even get time to celebrate if he is in, cause I'm busy the next day too.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Man, people really hate the game awards here. I look forward to them every year. I'm having a couple friends over for a viewing party like usual, and I'm pretty excited.

Edit: I gifted them both ace attorney trilogy for switch so they have no excuse not to play it. Now they're both rooting for Phoenix in smash, and it's the first time we all agree on a smash character. If he gets in at tga it's gonna get loud.

Ironically, now I'm super jealous of the nice new graphics of the switch version and I might splurge to get it myself.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Man, people really hate the game awards here. I look forward to them every year. I'm having a couple friends over for a viewing party like usual, and I'm pretty excited.
I don't "hate" them, per se, I just think they're too protracted and fairly uneventful, and the trailers aren't usually that exciting for me.

It doesn't help that I don't care for awards shows in a general sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Edit: I gifted them both ace attorney trilogy for switch so they have no excuse not to play it. Now they're both rooting for Phoenix in smash, and it's the first time we all agree on a smash character. If he gets in at tga it's gonna get loud.

Ironically, now I'm super jealous of the nice new graphics of the switch version and I might splurge to get it myself.
As long as at least a few things are exciting to me, it's worth it. Even for the year only Shaq Fu and Psychonauts 2 were noteworthy in my eyes.

I just wish the event didn't air before a work day, it's a little impractical. At least it's near the end of the week.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I have never been interested in watching the game awards. Only reason I'm doing it now is because Joker was revealed last year.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Crazy theory...maybe the confusion is coming from Capcom being post-pass? As in we get a Nintendo character for fighter 5 and then, of course... "OBJECTION!"

I doubt it but that would be one hell of a surprise.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I have a fairly neutral opinion on TGA, I never tuned in because it never seemed to be anything I'd be interested in watching, not even last year. I still remember waiting in line at my GameStop to get the pre-order copy of Ultimate I and dozens of other people had been waiting for, checking my Youtube subscriptions while I'm waiting and... what the heck? Smash news? But the game just came out today? DLC confirmed? And who's this Joker guy?

I'm giving it a chance this year for obvious reasons. Only events I watch regularly are directs and Nintendo's E3, usually never tune in to anything else. Although I did sit through Microsoft's E3 last year just because I heard the incorrect rumor that Miyamoto was going to be there. iirc, the journalist who said that confused him with Keanu Reeves, lol

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Any Nick reveal that doesn't start with an objection before transitioning into the reveal trailer is a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

I treat the Game Awards as essentially another E3, watching it more for the announcements than anything. I certainly don't regret tuning in last year for the announcements of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker in Smash, as well as the year before when Bayonetta 3 was announced and the first two games were ported to Switch.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The show was right after finals last year for me, so seeing Joker right after all those nerve wracking tests may have hurt my life expectancy a little lol

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Any Nick reveal that doesn't start with an objection before transitioning into the reveal trailer is a wasted opportunity.
Phoenix’s reveal trailer is just a leaker stepping onstage during TGAs, leaning into the mic, and saying: “It’s not Capcom,” followed by a maximum-volume OBJECTION! that deafens the entire crowd.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Oh yeah Bayonetta 3 is still a thing, maybe they'll show some progress on that now that Astral Chain is done and SMT5 but that's me being too optimistic the thing hasn't been canceled
I'm aware Atlus apparently commented on the matter.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Phoenix’s reveal trailer is just a leaker stepping onstage during TGAs, leaning into the mic, and saying: “It’s not Capcom,” followed by a maximum-volume OBJECTION! that deafens the entire crowd.
Another fun idea for a Wright reveal: remember how Mortal Kombat 11 was announced at last year's Game Awards? Ed Boon came onstage to present the award for Best Sports Game... then a spear breaks through the screen, and it transitions into the Mortal Kombat 11 announcement.

Imagine this year... Shu Takumi himself comes onstage to present the award for a certain category - let's just say Best Family Game - and tells us that, despite his presence, nothing Ace Attorney-related will show up at the Game Awards.

Then, just as the screen shows the "Best Family Game" graphic...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't really care about award shows, so I never bothered with the game awards, now I'm forced too just in case a smash reveal happens

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Another fun idea for a Wright reveal: remember how Mortal Kombat 11 was announced at last year's Game Awards? Ed Boon came onstage to present the award for Best Sports Game... then a spear breaks through the screen, and it transitions into the Mortal Kombat 11 announcement.

Imagine this year... Shu Takumi himself comes onstage to present the award for a certain category - let's just say Best Family Game - and tells us that, despite his presence, nothing Ace Attorney-related will show up at the Game Awards.

Then, just as the screen shows the "Best Family Game" graphic...
I like it. But the problem is you could easily pass off Ed Boom giving the reward without anyone thinking twice about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anything, the only JP creators I can think of that could handily :troll: the audience are Kamiya and Suda. Especially the latter.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if :bowsette: will show up. The moment with :mybodyisreggie: wearing that :ultridley: shirt immediately after :ultjoker:'s reveal was too good.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If anything, the only JP creators I can think of that could handily :troll: the audience are Kamiya and Suda. Especially the latter.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if :bowsette: will show up. The moment with :mybodyisreggie: wearing that :ultridley: shirt immediately after :ultjoker:'s reveal was too good.
Would certainly be interesting, since it was one of Reggie's last public appearances as NOA's president. Having the next president appear there with another villain in his shirt would be a cool "passing the torch" moment in my eyes.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I could see Harada pulling a jest on the public tbh, it sure would be something if after all the twitter drama he revealed Sora or something for the end of the FP.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Would certainly be interesting, since it was one of Reggie's last public appearances as NOA's president. Having the next president appear there with another villain in his shirt would be a cool "passing the torch" moment in my eyes.
If they do this, Bowser has to be wearing a Samus shirt. He's the Bowser to Reggie's Mario, so he should be the Samus to Reggie's Ridley, too!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I have a question. Why is Phoenix not considered a famous bigshot lawyer after he beat Manfred in court? Ending his spotless record was like the biggest accomplishment a defense attorney could achieve.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I have a question. Why is Phoenix not considered a famous bigshot lawyer after he beat Manfred in court? Ending his spotless record was like the biggest accomplishment a defense attorney could achieve.
Because in Japan, defense attorneys rarely get any respect.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The judge honestly says "I can tell you're grasping, but I can't deny the possibility", I figure the public sees Wright floundering around too and begin to murmur about his Ace Attorney status but write it off as luck until they see more.

Top Bottom