• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
One week remaining. This is the beginning of the end. A verdict will soon be passed. May the decision fall in our favor.

This Capcom "deconfirmation" is giving me weird vibes because people seem to be disagreeing with each other in the inner circles about it.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Ok, I'm watching papagenos video mostly to see if I missed on anything, and my god, I hate the juggling gymnastics going on with sabis apparent source knowing who our fighter 5 probably is. I'm not sure if I'd like a hint thrown as that'd probably just open pandoras box and make things a whole lot worse than staying quiet or just revealing who it is.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Ok, I'm watching papagenos video mostly to see if I missed on anything, and my god, I hate the juggling gymnastics going on with sabis apparent source knowing who our fighter 5 probably is. I'm not sure if I'd like a hint thrown as that'd probably just open pandoras box and make things a whole lot worse than staying quiet or just revealing who it is.
Not to mention one week is a long enough time for some big info to be revealed. Which is both interesting and terrifying.

I know I already posted this article before but if anyone needs some extra hope for an eventual Phoenix Wright release, you can read this.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/...ant-to-watch-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-124/

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Is it weird I find Wright in Smash to be the more plausible outcome, somehow?
I'd say so, I think it's natural AA would take a few years of hiatus while deciding how it'd push the series forward now that cheaper handheld releases aren't an option (unless you opt for mobile exclusivity I guess), releasing anything on 3DS during these last 2~ish years would have been a pretty bad choice if the latest M&L remakes are anything to go by.
I haven't been too fond of the series direction as of late so I'm not as pumped for an AA7 as I'd be for Phoenix getting in Smash, but hey, I'm always willing to welcome a pleasant surprise regarding a games quality.
At the least, I'd hope the series has a good jump in production values akin to P5 (and unlike Pokemon or FE), and the music is still good. Also for the love of god make VA a more prominent feature.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We may not get Phoenix in Smash, but can we all agree AA7 would be a very welcomed surprise?
AA7 or an Investigations dual pack/second trilogy HD release would be lovely. I've been an AA fan for over fifteen years at this point. I remember the wait between AJ and DD. I remember not getting AAI2. I remember fearing we'd never get PLvAA. The fact that we have an anime and the original trilogy on modern consoles is in itself an incredible feat.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
We may not get Phoenix in Smash, but can we all agree AA7 would be a very welcomed surprise?
Depends on how they present it. I said a few a pages back then how I would like to see a new AA engine made with 2D anime art in HD.
But is it confirmed that Yamazaki is doing AA7? I think he has talent, but his 3DS mainline outputs have been a little rough by the edges. AAI2 was his peak as a director and writter, in that game he surpassed Takumi to me (Bring down the pitchforks, I haven't played the fan translation of DGS yet). But at this point, and judging by Turnabout Time Traveler, he's probably tired of the series too.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
Gods, i hope that Phoenix is revealed at TGA, he is my Most Wanted and i find really weird how there is literally no Ace Attorney content at all in Smash.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Gods, i hope that Phoenix is revealed at TGA, he is my Most Wanted and i find really weird how there is literally no Ace Attorney content at all in Smash.
I don't understand how they could resist making some spirit jokes in the base when there are literal spirit characters in the Ace Attorney series.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While I know these 2 never had to coexist in the same event, a reveal of AA7 with no Phoenix in sight for Smash would kinda make me worry if we'd eventually get a spirits event around the release of the game or not. I guess we can only wait and see how fighter 5 turns out though.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
I don't understand how they could resist making some spirit jokes when there is literal spirit characters on the Ace Attorney series.
Yeah, also Maya's VA is the one that sing Lifelight.
Talking about Spirits, who do you think that would be a Legend Spirit?
I'd say that either Manfred, The Wright Anything Agency, Shelly de Killer or Dahlia.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm so ready for another Ace Attorney.

It is pretty strange to me that Phoenix Wright is arguably the frontrunner going into this reveal. Though I guess as Papagenos said that doesn't mean a whole lot when there's so much confusion surrounding it. Things could change so easily.

Last edited:

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
As far as spirits go, I think geoff had the best take on the matter
Pretty good, though i'd say that is weird that Franziska is 2 stars while other main prosecutors are 3, Larry being 1 star really fits with him being a loser, Steel Samurai should be 2 stars imo, and we are missing a Ladder and Stepladder spirit.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think the ladder and stepladder spirits where later posted as a joke, and rarities are all subjective, the only thing I'd say it's a lock is only 1 legendary, and I'd guess that's going to be Edgeworth.
You just made me realize how big they could make his spirit board of they wanted to. Damn.
Yup, sames goes for P5 and DQ11 if they decided to incorporate a more general take on their series or involve a few more secondary characters to those 2 particular entries really.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Pretty good, though i'd say that is weird that Franziska is 2 stars while other main prosecutors are 3, Larry being 1 star really fits with him being a loser, and we are missing a Ladder and Stepladder spirit.
Don't worry, Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts and JustMyself13 JustMyself13 already got us covered with that.
step ladder.png

ladder.png

Yup, sames goes for P5 and DQ11 if they decided to incorporate a more general take on their series or involve a few more secondary characters to those 2 particular entries really.
I'm still salty about not having my Junpei and Mitsuru spirits.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yup, sames goes for P5 and DQ11 if they decided to incorporate a more general take on their series or involve a few more secondary characters to those 2 particular entries really
It has been really strange how both Joker and Hero were based off only one game instead of being a celebration of their game series as a whole. Hero had some alt costumes but he is still considered strictly from the new Dragon Quest game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Aye, P3 spirits would have been the dream, I don't really care for the PT outside of Yusuke, so I ended up ignoring most of the P5 board. If only they at least had some of the confidants like Sojiro or Hifumi.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Aye, P3 spirits would have been the dream, I don't really care for the PT outside of Yusuke, so I ended up ignoring most of the P5 board. If only they at least had some of the confidants like Sojiro or Hifumi.
My biggest disappointment when Joker got in was that we didn't get a Persona 2 music track. (a boss battle theme would have been perfect) I wish we could have gotten at least one.

It seems like they want to forget the first two Persona games happened. :p

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
My biggest disappointment when Joker got in was that we didn't get a Persona 2 music track. (a boss battle theme would have been perfect) I wish we could have gotten at least one.

It seems like they want to forget the first two Persona games happened. :p
this always gave me the biggest MK vibes you could imagine
I don't think P2 is a very fun game to play, but boy is that plot fascinating. I got nothing on P1 however, I think it's unremarcable in just about every aspect besides being the start of the series.

Krankees

Smash Ace
this always gave me the biggest MK vibes you could imagine
I don't think P2 is a very fun game to play, but boy is that plot fascinating. I got nothing on P1 however, I think it's unremarcable in just about every aspect besides being the start of the series.
I haven't played P2 yet but the final boss theme is pretty good.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How long as AA7 been hinted at? I swear it seems like forever since we were told it it's existence but then we got the trilogy instead.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
How long as AA7 been hinted at? I swear it seems like forever since we were told it it's existence but then we got the trilogy instead.
I think one of the reasons it hasn't happened yet is that the director for 5 and 6 went to a different division of Capcom?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I thought Dual Destinies sales were considered good in the west given its digital only status? And selling like 250k copies on its release week in Japan? I have no idea how SoJ and DGS fared commercially however.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The DGS games were commercial bombs if I remember right lol

It's the main reason we never got the games in the west, Capcom has the belief that the series only sells if Phoenix is the protagonist, rightfully so since everytime they deviate from this it always fails somehow.

Krankees

Smash Ace

It's the main reason we never got the games in the west, Capcom has the belief that the series only sells if Phoenix is the protagonist, rightfully so since everytime they deviate from this it always fails somehow.
Except for Investigations those games were Ace Attorney gold.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The DGS games use specific Sherlock mysteries that are still under copyright, so the rights issues were a nightmare.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Except for Investigations those games were Ace Attorney material.
I mean your not wrong for Investigations 2, (Investigations 1 wasn't all that good) but unfortunately investigations 2 bombed due to bad timing as if I remember right it came out after the 3DS did.

I feel bad for Investigations 2 because that game was easily the best thing the 5 and 6 director ever gave the series.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

Huh, I thought Apollo Justice sold pretty well.
Except for Investigations those games were Ace Attorney gold.
That doesn't indicate a commercial success however, I'm reading they did fine in Japan, but the first one sold pretty bad in the west apparently.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Huh, I thought Apollo Justice sold pretty well.

That doesn't indicate a commercial success however, I'm reading they did fine in Japan, but the first one sold pretty bad in the west apparently.
In Apollo justice's case it was more fan backlash than commercial failure.

The entire reason 5 and 6 rely heavily on fanservice and callbacks was because Apollo justice didn't have old characters like Pearl, Edgeworth and Maya and fans complained about this.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

The entire reason 5 and 6 rely heavily on fanservice and callbacks was because Apollo justice didn't have old characters like Pearl, Edgeworth and Maya and fans complained about this.
I personally really enjoyed the Apollo Justice series. It was refreshing to give someone else the spotlight for once. It's not like we would never see Nick again.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I absolutely loved Dual Destinies and feel that that **** got super obnoxious to the detriment of both the characters and series as a whole with 6, but man, living through the AJ backlash was such a ****ing bummer because I loved AJ for everything it gave us. I'm glad time has been kinder to it, generally speaking. The main villain is my favorite villain in all of fiction to be honest.

AAI2 is one of the best games in the series and it's criminal that a lot of people didn't get to play it especially because it ties directly into Dual Destinies and contextualizes a lot of the story, making it a far richer experience as a whole.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I personally didn't mind the focus on brand new characters from AJ, but I didn't really like any of the cases, and I hated hobo Phoenix. I can't say I enjoyed any of the secondary/case exclusive characters either (Wocky sucks, Zak might be one of the worst trashbags in the series no matter how they might try to paint him, that whole magicians subplot is just kind of a mess imo).
I feel bad for Investigations 2 because that game was easily the best thing the 5 and 6 director ever gave the series.
Pretty much how I felt after I played it, I expected nothing given my meh feelings on the first game, but wow, I was surprised and then some by the end of the whole thing. Somehow became my favorite in the franchise after nothing really ever beating my experience with the first game after all those years.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It really bums me out that the Apollo justice trilogy cast never really got time to shine as well as the Phoenix wright trilogy cast did because of all the callbacks and fanservice.

Dual destinies had a good idea going with Apollos backstory in it, but because he has to share screentime with Athena, Blackquill, Fullbright, Phoenix, Edgeworth and others there's never really time to breathe and give Apollo great moments like Phoenix was able to have. And on top of that Trucy and Klavier were just thrown the wayside even though 4 made them out to be new main characters alongside Apollo.

And 6 was just dumb, I can't really describe it any other way. Having the juggle both trilogy casts as well as a bunch of new characters who I can't remember the names of really hurt my interest.

Top Bottom