• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. It seems odd. The special presentation at the end could be Ace Attorney.
My current theory if Phoenix is actually in Smash is that any potential announcement was saved for a Nintendo Direct to contextualize his reveal. Think about it, a lot of people probably wouldn’t be too familiar with Ace Attorney, much like how Hero was controversial in the US due to lack of familiarity. However, Hero’s reveal was paired alongside that large block dedicated to XI, which allowed more players to learn about Dragon Quest before he was playable.

I might be too hopeful, but I believe that a 4-6 collection will be announced in a September direct alongside a reminder of the 1-3 collection to entice the smash players who have never played AA to dive head-first into the entire series. After all, it would make little sense to reveal a new collection at TGS if it was just going to be highlighted once again in the same exact month.

I also believe that AA7 isn’t in development as of now and collections (as well as Phoenix in Smash) are being used to test the waters for any demand. It happened with Megaman, it’ll happen again with Ace Attorney. It’s simply the Capcom Way™.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It has been changed to the adult masterpiece collection. It was a mistranslation on Gematsu's behalf.

Big F.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Wait, do you mean the event on the schedule or the Discord channel?

If it is the former, then we could still get something post-TGS. If it's the latter, then... yeah, F.
The discord channel is still there, the event on the schedule was a mistranslation.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really don't think Ace Attorney is as unknown as people say. Maybe the series, but Phoenix the character is super iconic among so many circles, especially "OBJECTION!".

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I don’t recall if this topic has been brought up before, but his icon would definitely be the little shiny thing, right?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Symbol is that or his badge.

Both could work in case it somehow gets another character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Weird question - I know it's not going to happen, but let's say Ace Attorney gets a series item for Smash. What would it be and what would it do? I'm thinking maybe something related to Steel Samurai, but I dunno...

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Weird question - I know it's not going to happen, but let's say Ace Attorney gets a series item for Smash. What would it be and what would it do? I'm thinking maybe something related to Steel Samurai, but I dunno...

Just like the Franklin Badge, except everyone gains the ability to shout “Objection!”

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
For items and an assist trophy? I could see a few things...

The attorney's badge could work. It could build up your attack power as you wear it.

For assist trophy, I believe Trucy with magic or Gumshoe with his old pal Missile and Metal Detector combo would work excellently.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Several things to address in regards to some of the conversation topics:

About Ace Attorney not being at TGS - it is unfortunate, but it doesn't prevent the possibility of there being a new game announced during a Nintendo Direct. I do believe it's happened before...Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, IIRC. Anything's possible really, but if we're gonna go with the best future, it'd be revealed next direct with a Phoenix Smash reveal. If there is a game, it's most likely a second trilogy or a new game.

About the Ace Attorney news channel on the Capcom Discord...that could mean anything, but there are miscellaneous things they could post about. I was thinking about the Wright Anything Contest they held a few months ago but that had its winners announced last month (should've worked on my piece for more than a day...). Probably is just there for future-proofing.

About the series icon, yes, I do agree it should be the shine. It's on every single Ace Attorney logo. However, if they don't opt for it, a simple justice scale could do, or an Attorney's badge. I don't think it should just be Nick pointing though.

About an item...this is pretty tough. I was thinking an Attorney's badge but I don't know how exactly it would work. How about Kay's Little Thief? Maybe it recreates the battle from thirty seconds ago, and the opponent would have to dodge your hologram's past moves, despite that being weird.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I always figured the best choice for an item would be the Thinker clock. Have it be a melee weapon with short reach, high damage, no knockback and stun opponents. Since it's a clock, maybe it could also do something on time battles?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Really interesting item ideas... I like the badge in particular - JustMyself13 JustMyself13 's post gave me an idea - what if the badge made you immune to counters and reflected projectiles? As in, the opponent has countered you, but you objected to their counter?

I don't see too many uses for it, but it could be a unique function for an item, I guess.

Also, an update from Sabi:

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1167183592495009792

Looks like the possible Direct is "SOON". She also says that an October release for Overwatch is looking likely, so the best time to announce that would be in September.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Several things to address in regards to some of the conversation topics:
About an item...this is pretty tough. I was thinking an Attorney's badge but I don't know how exactly it would work. How about Kay's Little Thief? Maybe it recreates the battle from thirty seconds ago, and the opponent would have to dodge your hologram's past moves, despite that being weird.
That sounds both really cool and confusing. I don't know how they could pull that off, considering you also have to take in effect of FS's that change camera angles. Not to mention that the Little Thief didn't really interact with the real world, so having it be something to confuse players instead of damaging them would be cool.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ace Attorney items? Well Trucy would be a really cool assist trophy, making things disappear, tossing cards, all sorts of magical stuff, I agree she'd be fun! As for, uh, not an assist trophy... I guess the Magatama! Hold it up to an opponent to stun them and hit em with locks as long as no one interrupts you! Kind of like Robin's nosferatu!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
For items, I was thinking of the Samurai Spear. If you hit an enemy with it, it deals 50% damage. If you miss you trip and are stunned for a few seconds (like shield break).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ace Attorney items? Well Trucy would be a really cool assist trophy, making things disappear, tossing cards, all sorts of magical stuff, I agree she'd be fun! As for, uh, not an assist trophy... I guess the Magatama! Hold it up to an opponent to stun them and hit em with locks as long as no one interrupts you! Kind of like Robin's nosferatu!
Hmm, I dunno, I think the Magatama and the Psyche-Locks work better as a grab in Phoenix' moveset (in fact, I think you said so in your video, even).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
How about Missile? Or a metal detector? I have no idea what either of these could possibly do, but they come to mind.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Ah, RIP TGS. I think if we're getting news now, it's only coming from the Direct. Current prediction on possible AA-content would be an AA4-6 trilogy game, followed by a reminder that the original trilogy is already out on Switch, and then go quiet on that front until the end of the direct until bam, Smash reveal.

Let's see, AA-series items? For an Assist Trophy, if she's not a part of his moveset, I could see Maya, or Pearl if Maya does get used in Wright's moveset. Their appearance and spawning would be situational, only have a chance of spawning once a certain condition is met. In a battle with three or more players, for any player that has already been defeated/ran out of stocks or stamina, Maya/Pearl would "channel" the fallen fighter, and whoever they choose gets revived for a time to continue fighting, maybe ~30 seconds? They'd also have a unique color palette based on the spirit medium, no matter what costume the player originally used. After the time's up, the spirit would be ejected from the medium's body, who would strike a cheering pose before vanishing, returning the player that briefly controlled her to being out of the match. Additionally, getting KO'd/losing your stock will make the channeling abruptly end, effectively KO'ing Maya/Pearl in the process.

For a normal item, hm... sorta taking this from an idea I had for Apollo in Smash as a Special, translating it to an item. His iconic Bracelet would be an equippable item, and last significantly longer than something like the Frankling Badge, Bunny Hood, or other wearable items. It has no immediate effect or benefit, but silently tracks the actions of the player closest to them. Using an attack or evasive movement (such as rolling, spot-dodging, or air-dodging) will make a sweat drop appear on the character's head. This will go away after 3 seconds, if another player becomes the one closest the wearer, or if they use the same attack or evasive maneuver they just used again (Ex: Fair, and then fairing again before 3 seconds pass or while still be the one closest to the wearer). In the latter case, a "Gotcha!" speech bubble will appear, and the opponent is slowed down like the Timer item does, leaving them ripe for punishing. The Bracelet will then fall off at this point, or will otherwise fall off after 45 in game seconds. The idea behind this item is to notice and punish "nervous ticks", or in this case, punish for using a move twice in a row within a short time.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hmm, I dunno, I think the Magatama and the Psyche-Locks work better as a grab in Phoenix' moveset (in fact, I think you said so in your video, even).
Yeah, I like it as Phoenix's grab too, but the Banana Peel item and Diddy's down-b both exist, and when I think "item" in Ace Attorney, the Badge and Magatama are the two most consistent, memorable, iconic things, and while I love the badge, the Magatama is easier to implement since it's got the chains and locks n stuff!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Hey. I think you guys would apreciate this tweet:
For some context, at some point in StarTropics II, Mike time travels to London and meets Sherlock Holmes (at night, but still).

Northadox

Smash Apprentice

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Okay, grain of salt time:

https://twitter.com/DrSaltXXL/status/1167539194538995712

Emily Rogers is apparently hit or miss, but a Direct seems likely enough as far as leaks go.
Just think, we could be seeing Phoenix in Smash in less than a week! Then again, they might pull a “3.0 info later!” sort of thing again. Or even worse, they might reveal a different Capcom character altogether without any AA news at all...

The worst of times are when lawyers have to force their biggest smiles.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I have a kind of weird idea for a gimmick for the courtroom stage.

So i was thinking like some other people have suggested, different characters would appear at the defense and prosecution's desks, probably like mia, apollo, and athena for the defense and edgeworth, klavier and blackquil for the prosecution. what i was thinking was that each prosecutor would have a different hazard - like blackquil doing slices that do high damage, for example. and then, each defense attorney would basically augment the prosecutors effect, like if it's apollo and blackquil, the slices will also apply the flowery effect, but if it is mia and blackquil, it'll apply the slow effect, or something.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Looks like the next character will be Ryu Hayabusa.

Shouldn't be too disappointed as NG is close to AA in terms of sales, meaning there's precedence for looking at smaller series if they have a solid Nintendo past that appeals to a certain demographic.

However Doomguy will 100% take over the speculation scene due to often appearing alongside Hayabusa in leaks.

Guess we'll see, but Ryu being next is very likely.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Shouldn't be too disappointed as NG is close to AA in terms of sales, meaning there's precedence for looking at smaller series if they have a solid Nintendo past that appeals to a certain demographic.

However Doomguy will 100% take over the speculation scene due to often appearing alongside Hayabusa in leaks.

If anything, I feel this is bad for the Namco characters, not Phoenix.

Of all companies in Costume theory, Namco was always the weakest link, the one everyone could see giving a spot over to another new company. If Hayabusa really comes, that means Doomguy will become the next Erdrick, but it doesn't mean we're out of the running yet. Remember, Capcom still has the most content in Ultimate of all third-parties and they love their crossovers.

It's not over until the Pass ends. ;)

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

I don't think Ryu makes much sense for a DLC character. Maybe as a classic addition in a new game. Heck, I'd love a fighters pass where it's all old franchises. We could get Ryu, Crono, etc. Remember to never believe in leaks.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ryu makes much sense for a DLC character. Maybe as a classic addition in a new game. Heck, I'd love a fighters pass where it's all old franchises. We could get Ryu, Crono, etc. Remember to never believe in leaks.
A couple things about this leak throw me off too, mainly the fact that Shifty (the guy who leaked it) stated that he knew about Ryu since the beginning of April. This makes no sense, as he didn’t know anything about Banjo or Hero, who were actually confirmed to be in development by that time. It is also unlikely that Ryu had any work done on him around that time as well, seeing as he would’ve had around ~7 months of devtime when Hero likely only had around 4-5. Not to mention that Shifty specifically said that he only reports on leaks when all of his sources agree, which implies that they haven’t for literally every other character so far.

Also, on Discord, Sabi apparently said “Verge doesn’t believe him, I talked to him earlier.”

EDIT: More against the Ryu leak

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Haven't seen anybody mention this yet but:

Nintendo's Youtube channel dropped this I believe either earlier today or yesterday, can't quite remember. But Capcom's got a Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy Collection coming out, and not only that, it's been announced in it's own video, separate from a Direct. Does anybody else think this dampers or kills the possibility of a PA AA4-6 Trilogy from being announced soon, or am I just being too paranoid about this?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A couple things about this leak throw me off too, mainly the fact that Shifty (the guy who leaked it) stated that he knew about Ryu since the beginning of April. This makes no sense, as he didn’t know anything about Banjo or Hero, who were actually confirmed to be in development by that time. It is also unlikely that Ryu had any work done on him around that time as well, seeing as he would’ve had around ~7 months of devtime when Hero likely only had around 4-5. Not to mention that Shifty specifically said that he only reports on leaks when all of his sources agree, which implies that they haven’t for literally every other character so far.

Also, on Discord, Sabi apparently said “Verge doesn’t believe him, I talked to him earlier.”

EDIT: More against the Ryu leak
Hmm, I don't think him not knowing about Hero or Banjo and Kazooie is enough to discard this. Because even if the Challenger Packs had no work done on them, the characters themselves had already been decided. I mean, Vergeben knew about a Square character before the base game's release, even, and we know for sure that no DLC characters had any work done at that point except for maybe PP.

And I don't think he would absolutely need to know about the other characters in advance. No one called Joker. Vergeben only said something about Banjo after the Shinobi leaks. That guy who called Cloud in Smash 4 (forgot his name lol) only calls Square info because he only had Square sources, not Nintendo. There are several plausible reasons for why he wouldn't know. And leakers may or may not come to a consensus, so other people not having heard that isn't necessarily a hard deconfirm.

I have to say... I'm a bit stunned by Smashboards' reaction to this leak. I have no attachment to NG or Hayabusa at all, and yet I feel like people are trying to poke holes into this because they don't like the way it sounds.

Thankfully, this leak probably has a quick expiration date, as a Direct next week is looking more and more likely, and the guy said Hayabusa IS the next character... so if this leak is fake, at least it will die fast.

But good lord, I'm starting to think I might want to avoid Smashboards for a few days as we approach the final reveal. Because the salt levels will be immeasurable, especially if there is no more content post-Pass.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Haven't seen anybody mention this yet but:

Nintendo's Youtube channel dropped this I believe either earlier today or yesterday, can't quite remember. But Capcom's got a Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy Collection coming out, and not only that, it's been announced in it's own video, separate from a Direct. Does anybody else think this dampers or kills the possibility of a PA AA4-6 Trilogy from being announced soon, or am I just being too paranoid about this?
I think the Zero Collection might have been supposed to be revealed at TGS, and they only announced it now because it got leaked.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
The bad news if Ryu Hayabusa is our next DLC character: It's not Phoenix Wright.

The good news: It's not a Capcom character, which means that even if it's true, the dream is alive and well for a few more months.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Even though the original trilogy was rereleased this year, I think the AA franchise is slowly dying, not having a TGS panel is a huge blow and the leaking scene isn't giving me that much hope either.
I still have hope on Smash, but I have my expectation set to 0 at this point.
But well, we'll probably know the answer very soon.

Top Bottom