• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
INo, I mean, HOW can he fight? purposely or not, kinda like Isabelle, I guess.
You mean like lorewise? He just has insane durability in the games. No reason for it he can just take a beating from anything and he'll make it out just fine.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How you guys think Phoenix's chances are looking right now? I still think he is the front runner to be the Capcom rep if there even is one in the Season Pass.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Guys, there will be no AA at TGS: Link
I still have hope for a Nintendo Direct with something AA related, but these are bad news indeed.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Guys, there will be no AA at TGS: Link
I still have hope for a Nintendo Direct with something AA related, but these are bad news indeed.
Hmm... this is kinda strange, isn't it? Didn't they tease something AA related "soon"? Or is my mind playing a trick on me?

Because if that was the case, then it's bad news for TGS, but great news for a potential September Direct...

How you guys think Phoenix's chances are looking right now? I still think he is the front runner to be the Capcom rep if there even is one in the Season Pass.
At this point, I think that if a Capcom character is in the Pass, it's either Phoenix or someone from Resident Evil.

There are a few other possible Capcom contenders, but if we're talking frontrunners, it's those two.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Durability wise, Wright...
Fell off of a burning wooden bridge into the ravine below, directly into a freezing, rushing river at the bottom, passed out there, and somehow not only survived, but suffered from only minor injuries and a cold. He went back to work on his case only a day later, like nothing happened.
There has to be some merit to that.

Aw, shame there'll be nothing at TGS. Might show up in a September Direct, but if the news is coming from a Direct rather than Capcom's own event, I feel it might be a rerelease (such as possibly a new trilogy, AJ-SoJ package) rather than a new release like AA7.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
If anything, Nick has a higher chance now of appearing in a direct. Whether it’s AA7 or Smash. Or both.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Long-time lurker, finally got my account up and running! I believe I recognize some of you from the Ace Attorney subreddit and one from roster prediction threads on a certain other notorious website...

Anyway, I believe that the lack of a TGS panel may indicate that the trilogy release on switch outsold every other platform to the point where Capcom decided to market any future AA releases to the Nintendo audience, which would be in an upcoming Nintendo Direct. This slightly boosts his chances in Smash as well, as any reveal would most likely be paired with an announcement of a new game, and since there’s no TGS panel, a Nintendo Direct is the next logical place to announce something (though I think I’m just being a bit too hopeful...)

Also, I have some reason to believe that a Resident Evil rep (mainly Leon) and a Monster Hunter Rep aren’t as likely as we think, as we know that DLC was all decided at once in November before the game launched. Theoretically, a Monster Hunter rep would’ve been the first to be released, as it already had an extensive amount of content in the base game. However, holding out on revealing one for this long after we got Banjo goes against the surprise factor of every reveal we’ve had so far, making me believe that Rathalos is the only representation we’ll get. Furthermore, Joker was the second DLC character released (including Pirahna Plant) and features a grappling hook, pistol, knife, and kicks in a ton of his moves, all things that Leon would rely on. I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would give Joker all of these moves if the full intention to include Leon was there from the get-go, as it would make the two seem incredibly similar. I don’t know, I’m chalking it up to me just being overly optimistic for Phoenix again, but he would be such a good fit!

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Joker was the second DLC character released (including Pirahna Plant) and features a grappling hook, pistol, knife, and kicks in a ton of his moves, all things that Leon would rely on
As a RE fan, just because he uses these tools don't mean a thing, Bayo uses a gun (4 of them, in fact) and Snake as well. Some characters will have similar tools, yet they can work differently.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
As a RE fan, just because he uses these tools don't mean a thing, Bayo uses a gun (4 of them, in fact) and Snake as well. Some characters will have similar tools, yet they can work differently.
I love RE too, but it’s the way Joker uses these things that bothers me. Snake doesn’t put his launchers on his feet, and Bayo’s pistols charge while Joker’s fire continuously. There are only so many ways to fire a gun, and I feel that Joker fires it in the exact way Leon would. Not to mention I can’t think of any recovery for Leon other than Ada’s grappling hook, which would again work exactly like Joker’s does. Joker’s tilts, aerials, dash attack and smash attacks all feature moves that I couldn’t see Leon without, which makes me feel that Leon isn’t going to be the RE rep. I’m not discrediting every RE rep, as I still think characters other than Leon have enough diversity to make the cut. I’d want Leon the most though just to hear what cheesy voice lines they give him...

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh...I mean...I suppose it's possible that, as part of some deal, Nintendo would ask Capcom to save announcements for a Direct, uhh... I guess Marvel vs Capcom was shown at a Playstation thing, announcements are shown at different things even if it's just a tease to make business people happy I guess...?

And while a deal like that would make more sense iiif Phoenix waaas in Smash... Ace Attorney 7 and Phoenix in Smash in the same direct? That's probably too good to be true! But maybe AA7 isn't ready yet anyway, those games take a LOT of translating and they have to adapt to new systems, at least the Switch. PLUS, the team might be busy with just porting AA4,5,and 6... Soooo, maybe thooose get announced at a Direct and then it ends with Phoenix in Smash? That's still really good, but not toooo good to be true, y'know?

Umm... hmm... I haven't processed if this is good or bad, I guess cause now we're in an all-or-nothing scenario haha
But I do believe Phoenix is the frontrunner for Capcom reps too, and one of the last competitors for DLC with a truly solid case! Phoenix's only issue is that I guess his amount of popularity makes him more of Assist Trophy material. That feels more right, but other characters have bigger issues I think, like RE's lack of fan demand, it's there but honestly - looking for it as hard as I could, it was actually kind of rare? Plus I think their zombie experiment people are disturbing and sad and clash with Smash... Crash has different designs based on where on the planet you are and maybe that's an easy fix but personally I wouldn't know how to approach that, umm... Well I guess Doomguy and Lloyd would be fine and make people happy, I'm just biased cause I think we have enough guns and swords... Still Phoenix has everything you need, except, maybe, popularity...?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, if we get one, it should be within next week. Oddly enough we're Thursday now and still no peep of an announcement yet. And I don't trust the supposed Sept. 12 "leak", not even Jon trusts it: https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1166403111973511170
Who is it from GameXplain that always posts a image of a Otter on Twitter within a period of time before a Direct is announced? Is it Jon? I ask because one of the GameXplain guys posted the Otter image on Twitter a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, if we get one, it should be within next week. Oddly enough we're Thursday now and still no peep of an announcement yet. And I don't trust the supposed Sept. 12 "leak".
... which one do you mean, dude? There are like... 15 of them every day.

All equally fake if you ask me...

But yeah, plus isn't there a release for RE on the Switch in the next few months? Cause if so... I smell Capcom in the water for next Direct.

Remember: so far every DLC fighter (sans PP) was announced at a very specific timeframe - the best possible one for that character. So if we're getting releases during holiday... no time like the present.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Who is it from GameXplain that always posts a image of a Otter on Twitter within a period of time before a Direct is announced? Is it Jon? I ask because one of the GameXplain guys posted the Otter image on Twitter a couple of weeks ago.
Jon, yes. Although his otter pics don't always mean something is coming, sometimes he posts them because he feels like doing so. Although the signifiance of it can be delayed due to circumstances (see :ultisabelle:).

I was told to look at his Gamexplain videos for clearer hints, but that obviously backfired with EVO...

So could Maya be a Echo of Phoenix if he get's in?
I don't think anyone else considered her as anything other than a moveset partner.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
All this direct talk reminds me of a dream I had a while ago, it was a regular direct that featured the reveal of a 4-6 collection where Athena replaced Phoenix in every game (I recall a segment where two Athenas were having a conversation). The direct ended with a “please take a look at this” fade out to a black screen, and transitioned into a plain empty white room where Inkling, Mario, and Link were angrily staring at something off screen. The camera then panned to a really low quality model of Phoenix t-posing in the distance, which then turned into multiple Phoenix models no clipping through the ground behind and next to the original. The camera then panned up with the dramatic whoosh sound effects from the first ultimate teaser trailer to reveal that the t-posing Phoenixs were in the formation of the smash logo. The camera stayed on this for a while and finally faded to another white screen, ending the direct in silence with the words “SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X” the same t-posing Phoenix model. It was a wonderful dream.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
All this direct talk reminds me of a dream I had a while ago, it was a regular direct that featured the reveal of a 4-6 collection where Athena replaced Phoenix in every game (I recall a segment where two Athenas were having a conversation). The direct ended with a “please take a look at this” fade out to a black screen, and transitioned into a plain empty white room where Inkling, Mario, and Link were angrily staring at something off screen. The camera then panned to a really low quality model of Phoenix t-posing in the distance, which then turned into multiple Phoenix models no clipping through the ground behind and next to the original. The camera then panned up with the dramatic whoosh sound effects from the first ultimate teaser trailer to reveal that the t-posing Phoenixs were in the formation of the smash logo. The camera stayed on this for a while and finally faded to another white screen, ending the direct in silence with the words “SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X” the same t-posing Phoenix model. It was a wonderful dream.
The part that really got me was all the Phoenixes forming the Smash logo. top shelf stuff

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well ****.

Are we ever getting that seventh game?
Im guessing they are trying to figure out a way to realistically make a sequel with a cast as bloated as Ace attorney without getting anybody angry or annoyed or are trying to find a new director, didn't Yamazaki leave after 6?

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
... you know anything about this? I'm curious about what the hell this is supposed to be, but there's no way I'm following that link.
This Discord is spammed multiple times by one person over and over again in every single Smash-related thread on 4chan’s /v/ board with the same exact Hero picture. Ignore it and move on, it’s not even Phoenix-specific.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This Discord is spammed multiple times by one person over and over again in every single Smash-related thread on 4chan’s /v/ board with the same exact Hero picture. Ignore it and move on, it’s not even Phoenix-specific.
I mean, I was gonna ignore it anyway, but thanks for the heads-up.

Btw, you might wanna remove the quote from your original post, because it still has the links in it even though the user is gone.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That sounds like a nightmare to be honest.
Im guessing they are trying to figure out a way to realistically make a sequel with a cast as bloated as Ace attorney without getting anybody angry or annoyed or are trying to find a new director, didn't Yamazaki leave after 6?
Dunno, did he? That would be good news to me, didn't fall in love with his direction.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That sounds like a nightmare to be honest.

Dunno, did he? That would be good news to me, didn't fall in love with his direction.
I vaguely remember hearing that he left because he moved to a different division of Capcom. I could be wrong.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So could Maya be a Echo of Phoenix if he get's in?
Not really! While she is also capable of yelling Objection or slamming a desk, she never does in the games and has more potential doing her own things that Phoenix can't do. But what would be best is for her to be part of his moveset so they kinda work together like in other crossovers!

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Not really! While she is also capable of yelling Objection or slamming a desk, she never does in the games and has more potential doing her own things that Phoenix can't do. But what would be best is for her to be part of his moveset so they kinda work together like in other crossovers!
I really couldn’t imagine a playable Phoenix without some incorporation of Maya or his other partners, they always end up saving the trial in some way and always play a part in Phoenix’s success, whether through holding onto crucial evidence or in Mia’s case leading him to the right conclusion fairly directly.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You mean like lorewise? He just has insane durability in the games. No reason for it he can just take a beating from anything and he'll make it out just fine.
Also it's a cartooney video game.

People need to stop looking at realism in a fantasy setting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be frank, I can't see anyone being a good echo for Phoenix. Despite all of the "Take that"s and "Objection"s, I feel like any other character just doesn't have close enough mannerisms (or in some cases, body type) to work properly. Even the closest suggestions, like Apollo and Edgeworth, would feel wrong as Echoes imo.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
No Ace Attorney panel at TGS?
That's bad.

Final nail in the coffin I am afraid. It's the first time in years there is no panel for it. Looks like AA7 might be an elusive entry.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be frank, I can't see anyone being a good echo for Phoenix. Despite all of the "Take that"s and "Objection"s, I feel like any other character just doesn't have close enough mannerisms (or in some cases, body type) to work properly. Even the closest suggestions, like Apollo and Edgeworth, would feel wrong as Echoes imo.
With Dark Samus, I think if the moveset fits they can account for the difference in mannerisms/personality.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hmm... this is kinda strange, isn't it? Didn't they tease something AA related "soon"? Or is my mind playing a trick on me?

Because if that was the case, then it's bad news for TGS, but great news for a potential September Direct....
Has to be the latter. I don't remember that recently. Google searches yields no results.

I do find it odd that the official Capcom discord added an Ace Attorney news channel two weeks ago only for it to have no TGS panel. Every other game with a channel IS at TGS.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
With Dark Samus, I think if the moveset fits they can account for the difference in mannerisms/personality.
Normally, yes, but it's just... hm. How do I put this... I feel like some of the stuff Phoenix does in UMvC3, for example, wouldn't look as good with Edgeworth. For reasons I can't fully grasp, admittedly, I feel like the gap between them is bigger than Samus and Dark Samus or even Ryu and Ken.

Has to be the latter. I don't remember that recently. Google searches yields no results.

I do find it odd that the official Capcom discord added an Ace Attorney news channel two weeks ago only for it to have no TGS panel. Every other game with a channel IS at TGS.
Aah, yes, that was it! Is there a possibility that this could be for any non-TGS stuff?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They did have the languages coming to the trilogy in the news channel, which I imagine prompted them to add it, but they didn't mention the latest digital sale in it. Seems rather odd to add a channel for that only.

They also have an unused capcom-news channel. So if Ace Attorney is supposed to have little information, you'd think they'd add it there.

I don't know. It seems odd. The special presentation at the end could be Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

We might be looking at a not-very-well-hidden secret surprise reveal.

I don't know if AA7 would be big enough to be a surprise. Smash though? Hmmm...

Top Bottom