• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I could totally see Hayabusa and Phoenix being the two last reveals, they're characters with very different skillsets and appeals.

Though if color theory is true then we ****ed.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Even though the original trilogy was rereleased this year, I think the AA franchise is slowly dying, not having a TGS panel is a huge blow and the leaking scene isn't giving me that much hope either.
I still have hope on Smash, but I have my expectation set to 0 at this point.
But well, we'll probably know the answer very soon.
Have there been many major TGS leaks, this year? I haven't heard any, although I'm sure some might exist. Provided there aren't a whole lot, though, I wouldn't expect necessarily for an AA title to be leaked.

The lack of a panel is a bit disconcerting, though.

I could totally see Hayabusa and Phoenix being the two last reveals, they're characters with very different skillsets and appeals.

Though if color theory is true then we ****ed.
Not necessarily! If they use Ryu's modern design, his color could ostensibly be black, leaving blue open for our boy.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People, people. Just because a game isn't visibly talked about frequently doesn't necessarily mean it got cancelled. This isn't like MM Legends 3.

If Shin Megami Tensei fans can remain confident despite not hearing about SMTV for years, surely you can be assured that AA7 will get finished eventually.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
People, people. Just because a game isn't visibly talked about frequently doesn't necessarily mean it got cancelled. This isn't like MM Legends 3.

If Shin Megami Tensei fans can remain confident despite not hearing about SMTV for years, surely you can be assured that AA7 will get finished eventually.
Not to mention KH and FF fans. But I digress.

We could still get a second trilogy announcement or maybe something minor. Sure, not as good as AA7, but hey, the series is getting love and exposition to a whole new audience.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
We could still get a second trilogy announcement or maybe something minor. Sure, not as good as AA7, but hey, the series is getting love and exposition to a whole new audience.
Don’t forget, we still have that AA news channel on the Capcom Discord, and I doubt they added it when they only planned on using it for the language update. Keep in mind that franchises like Viewtiful Joe, MvC, Darkstalkers, and Dead Rising do not have news channels.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, the fact that we even got AA5 was a miracle to me at the time. A new AA is never guaranteed and I try to appreciate it when one comes rather than expect one to come.

Ah, the joys of being a fandom oldie.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Calm down people. Unless we get another Capcom character, Phoenix has a chance.
Also, no one, not Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo said that the Fighter Pass would be the end of DLC.

Just wait and see what happens on February. Don't act like the sky is falling. Getting tired of people taking 4's supposed "precedent" as gospel.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
This could also somehow be a crazy error, as someone else pointed out for some reason the nintendo official site claimed the z-suit amiibo was compatible with ducktales, if i recall correctly.

...I wish z-suit was compatible with ducktales, that would be amazing.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
This could also somehow be a crazy error, as someone else pointed out for some reason the nintendo official site claimed the z-suit amiibo was compatible with ducktales, if i recall correctly.

...I wish z-suit was compatible with ducktales, that would be amazing.
Honestly, I really, really hope this is a crazy error, and not even because I don't want an SNK character - I'm pretty neutral on the idea. But the entire fanbase being united in their belief in an SNK rep for better or for worse, only to have that belief utterly shattered by a completely different character being revealed in the Direct would be absolutely delicious.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Man, DLC#4 had a weird ride in the past few days. First it was Tracer. Then it was Hayabusa. Now it's this.
I'll admit, I don't know a lick about SNK games. Not gonna say "whoa, I was hoping for X character this whole time!" like people faking the hype for Richter or something. Though I have seen Metal Slug and Metal Slug looks pretty cool, so that please.
So yeah, one more shot for Nick now. I really don't think we'll be getting another Fighters Pass this time around - at most, maybe a bonus character, and I don't think Phoenix would fill that role.
In summary, rally and rally hard, my fellow Nickbros. If not this season, maybe next time for Super Smash Bros Infinite or whatever

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think this is good for us really as it proves that it's not Doom Slayer. We're the most requested Capcom fighter at the moment (though I think combined RE might beat us) and I'd be surprised if Capcom doesn't get anything. A Capcom rep is low hanging fruit, people love them and they're really easy to negotiate for.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Unless there are any SNK games that have recently been announced to have DLC close to February 2020, I’m not sure if this is the case. Seeing as the pack 3 page is down entirely and the pack 5 page has nothing revealing, something is definitely up here.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think this is good for us really as it proves that it's not Doom Slayer. We're the most requested Capcom fighter at the moment (though I think combined RE might beat us) and I'd be surprised if Capcom doesn't get anything. A Capcom rep is low hanging fruit, people love them and they're really easy to negotiate for.
Not to mention, it's a relatively "safe" way to close the Pass. Again, don't lose hope, people.

Unless there are any SNK games that have recently been announced to have DLC close to February 2020, I’m not sure if this is the case. Seeing as the pack 3 page is down entirely and the pack 5 page has nothing revealing, something is definitely up here.
It could be a regular oversight, but if the only example like that is the ZSS thing... I'd say this is about 95% confirmed.

I see very little reason for the credit to just have been copied from, say, SNK Heroines, if the DLC 5 page displays the regular companies.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention, it's a relatively "safe" way to close the Pass. Again, don't lose hope, people.

It could be a regular oversight, but if the only example like that is the ZSS thing... I'd say this is about 95% confirmed.

I see very little reason for the credit to just have been copied from, say, SNK Heroines, if the DLC 5 page displays the regular companies.
Well, it has been noted that on all other similar DLC pages for Smash, they list all associated companies, and not just the one from which the DLC comes, so it could really go either way.

But I'd much rather believe this is true, because
1. SNK has a lot of material, so even if I believe it, I still have no idea who's in, and
2. If it's not SNK at all, I get to be absolutely flabbergasted by the reveal.

Win-win!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, it has been noted that on all other similar DLC pages for Smash, they list all associated companies, and not just the one from which the DLC comes, so it could really go either way.

But I'd much rather believe this is true, because
1. SNK has a lot of material, so even if I believe it, I still have no idea who's in, and
2. If it's not SNK at all, I get to be absolutely flabbergasted by the reveal.

Win-win!
Not really. Someone posted Hero's on the Newcomer thread. It just has Armor Project/ Square Enix and the associated companies. No Microsoft, Atlus, Sega, Capcom or others.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Someone posted Hero's on the Newcomer thread. It just has Armor Project/ Square Enix and the associated companies. No Microsoft, Atlus, Sega, Capcom or others.
Yeah, I was just reading that and realizing I had incorrect information. So there's still a chance it's a mistake, but it's not quite as significant a chance. This ought to be interesting.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
If it's anything, one of the recent leaks says something that could point to an SNK character. But I do hope that it's just an error.

The leak in question:
Female with mecha.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Adding on to this case, there’s a character from an SNK fighting game on switch who has the exact same copyright. They also happen to be the fourth character to be released for it as well as having the exact same file size, though this isn’t saying much as Joker also has a 4.19 Mb size. This could very well be a mistake, but we’d really need to wait and see. They are taking an awfully long time to fix this if it’s real, as the Overwatch case and even the Galaga Medley were removed really quickly.

EDIT: It’s also important to note that the SNK copyright features “ALL RIGHTS RESERVED,” which is a statement NOT found on any Smash DLC copyright listing, including Hero’s.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
This oughta be interesting, whether it's a flub or not. Reminds me of the Smash Youtube channel uploading Castlevania music a day before Simon/Richter were announced, although a bit more drastic, since I don't think anybody can say for certainty we're going to suddenly get a Nintendo Direct dropped tomorrow with the 4th character announced, that's at least a few days away, if not more, and we might not even get character #4 news then.

I have no prior experience with any SNK game, but that stands true for Dragon Quest and Banjo Kazooie as well, so I'm curious both who it could be and how they'll play.

And before we get japed and the last three slots are an Overwatch rep, Ryu Hayabusa, and an SNK rep.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
During all this, I just realized that, like, about when Sabi tweeted a pic of a bird or whatever, a phoenix is a bird! Ha! Anyway, still hoping for Phoenix, but yeah, oof.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
During all this, I just realized that, like, about when Sabi tweeted a pic of a bird or whatever, a phoenix is a bird! Ha! Anyway, still hoping for Phoenix, but yeah, oof.
Speaking of Sabi, she apparently just posted on Discord that she didn't believe this to be a mistake, so double oof.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Has Sabi's track record ever been established? We should find out until we trust them.
She tends to know things, but it's hard to say really how much. Usually she only gets her info a few days before it's revealed to the public, and I believe she claimed at one point that she shares a source with Verg, or something?

I'm not as familiar as I could be, but I'd say she's pretty trustworthy for short-term announcements.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'm gonna be honest, I literally know nothing about SNK, so if this turns out to be true, I might get a little disappointed with this character when it gets revealed. What are the most popular SNK games, if I may ask?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well thats nintendo uk's site alright, how peculiar

maybe somebody is doing what i would do and just messing with people

edit: actually checking it out none of the other fighter passes seem to have there own pages like this one so it could be a very elaborate fake

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
...ha! Couldn't really have it any other way I guess! Hayabusa, Tracer, no presence at TGS, now this, I guess things really gatta look as bad as possible before the big turnabout! Guess it really has to be as clutch as to hope for #5...! Ummm... Pwsh, I dunno, 50/50, I guess its still possible but yikes pffft

Flyboy

Smash Hero
...ha! Couldn't really have it any other way I guess! Hayabusa, Tracer, no presence at TGS, now this, I guess things really gatta look as bad as possible before the big turnabout! Guess it really has to be as clutch as to hope for #5...! Ummm... Pwsh, I dunno, 50/50, I guess its still possible but yikes pffft
Apparently fighter pass 5 has no new copyrights, just the ones already in. It could be a placeholder, or...

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If you ignore Banjo, and SNK is indeed our next character, I think it might actually be good for us, in a certain overly-optimistic sort of way. Persona is a moderately large, but not enormous Japanese franchise from a company with a niche following. Dragon Quest, although enormous in Japan, has always done only moderately well worldwide, and could use a nice boost. SNK has a storied history as an arcade developer, but has never sold extraordinarily well on consoles, and again, could really use a boost.

Sakurai has said in the past that he's interested in using Smash to promote Japanese games on a worldwide scale. What Capcom franchise could you say does pretty well in Japan, but struggles to push big numbers overall? Ace Attorney.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has said in the past that he's interested in using Smash to promote Japanese games on a worldwide scale. What Capcom franchise could you say does pretty well in Japan, but struggles to push big numbers overall? Ace Attorney.
Arguably MH as well, but I think the MH dream is pretty much dead at this point.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I don't think Nick would have it any other way.

Watch him be revealed with a triumphant "OBJECTION!" as the last fighter, when everyone had lost all hope.
What if Sakurai rolled out all 5 fighters, and then after some trailer video for character 5, we get a last second "OBJECTION!"? A turnabout for Wright fans, making a miracle happen when it seemed all hope had been lost?

What if Sakurai worked himself to death even harder just for this meta joke

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What if Sakurai rolled out all 5 fighters, and then after some trailer video for character 5, we get a last second "OBJECTION!"? A turnabout for Wright fans, making a miracle happen when it seemed all hope had been lost?

What if Sakurai worked himself to death even harder just for this meta joke
That... that actually sounds like something Sakurai would do, if I'm being honest.

Sakurai, go rest, you madman. Take a vacation. Don't the Game Freak people travel for references, go with them. Stop using IV drips, please.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Adding on to this case, there’s a character from an SNK fighting game on switch who has the exact same copyright. They also happen to be the fourth character to be released for it as well as having the exact same file size, though this isn’t saying much as Joker also has a 4.19 Mb size. This could very well be a mistake, but we’d really need to wait and see. They are taking an awfully long time to fix this if it’s real, as the Overwatch case and even the Galaga Medley were removed really quickly.

EDIT: It’s also important to note that the SNK copyright features “ALL RIGHTS RESERVED,” which is a statement NOT found on any Smash DLC copyright listing, including Hero’s.
However, the SNK copyright is consistent in their other guest appearances in Tekken and Street Fighter, meaning it's their thing.

Top Bottom