• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
that was for tatsunoko vs capcom
That's pretty much what I implied though, hence the "by MvC3".

In any case, TatsuCap is a true alignment of the stars that won't happen again, considering the rights issues for the various Tatsu properties that had to be negotiated. Even completely removed a character from the roster just so it would actually be possible to release it in the West, given that Hakushon Daimaou had the biggest red tape.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, it did last time with the Fantastic Four in MvC3 and the X-Men in Infinite... not sure how that works, bu depending on how the rights were divided...
Fantastic Four weren't in MvC3 due to a lack of resources, not because of anything to do with movie rights. They were planning to have them but couldn't make four characters so they compromised by making Super Skrull, who has all their powers.

The X-Men characters were victims of a corporate mandate from Marvel Entertainment president Ike Perlmutter, who infamously forbade characters whose movie rights were owned by Fox from featuring in other media, in order to weaken the IPs and thus lead to Marvel recovering them - which, given how things turned out, might have actually worked. This only happened with Fox characters - Spiderman, with his incredible popularity, has always been safe. Given how much Japan loves Spiderman, and how Sony (a Japanese gaming titan) is involved with the rights, I think Spidey will continue to have a future in videogames.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's pretty much what I implied though, hence the "by MvC3".

In any case, TatsuCap is a true alignment of the stars that won't happen again, considering the rights issues for the various Tatsu properties that had to be negotiated. Even completely removed a character from the roster just so it would actually be possible to release it in the West, given that Hakushon Daimaou had the biggest red tape.
perhaps they could try something else like studio ghibli vs capcom

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Fantastic Four weren't in MvC3 due to a lack of resources, not because of anything to do with movie rights. They were planning to have them but couldn't make four characters so they compromised by making Super Skrull, who has all their powers.

The X-Men characters were victims of a corporate mandate from Marvel Entertainment president Ike Perlmutter, who infamously forbade characters whose movie rights were owned by Fox from featuring in other media, in order to weaken the IPs and thus lead to Marvel recovering them - which, given how things turned out, might have actually worked. This only happened with Fox characters - Spiderman, with his incredible popularity, has always been safe. Given how much Japan loves Spiderman, and how Sony (a Japanese gaming titan) is involved with the rights, I think Spidey will continue to have a future in videogames.
Just to give a final note in this: I know the corporate mandate came from the Marvel side, not Fox, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I think there was even a proibition on Marvel artists drawing Fox-associated characters by then, though I couldn't recover the tweet that basically confirmed this.

And yeah, Spiderman games are by no means over, the discussion was mostly about him in a hypothetical future MvC game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just to give a final note in this: I know the corporate mandate came from the Marvel side, not Fox, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I think there was even a proibition on Marvel artists drawing Fox-associated characters by then, though I couldn't recover the tweet that basically confirmed this.

And yeah, Spiderman games are by no means over, the discussion was mostly about him in a hypothetical future MvC game.
Well, I doubt there was a prohibition on drawing Fox characters because X-Men did continue having comic appearances (albeit there were attempts to phase them out in favor of the Inhumans).

As for Spiderman in MvC, that's included in what I said about Spidey in games. I don't think there's any risk there. If anything the risk is that MvC as a franchise is dead.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, I doubt there was a prohibition on drawing Fox characters because X-Men did continue having comic appearances (albeit there were attempts to phase them out in favor of the Inhumans).

As for Spiderman in MvC, that's included in what I said about Spidey in games. I don't think there's any risk there. If anything the risk is that MvC as a franchise is dead.
I meant drawing Fox characters in the context of game shows and panels where MvC news were revealed, not in general.

...boy, I'm simply not doing well trying to convey my thoughts today, am I? XD

Speaking of panels... what are everyone's expectations for AA in TGS? And if there is a Direct in September, do you think it would come before or after that?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of panels... what are everyone's expectations for AA in TGS? And if there is a Direct in September, do you think it would come before or after that?
I'm hoping for at least an Apollo Justice HD. Maybe an Ace Attorney Trilogy HD 2 with AJ, DD and SoJ

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I meant drawing Fox characters in the context of game shows and panels where MvC news were revealed, not in general.

...boy, I'm simply not doing well trying to convey my thoughts today, am I? XD

I expect that Ace Attorney will have some presence.

Not much but the last time I expected something I got... Not something. So my expectations are super tempered.

Hoping for Smash Bros.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ace Attorney is bound to be at the TGS. Whether or not the news appeals to you is another matter.

I think we have the following possibilities:

1. "Apollo Justice" trilogy coming to all modern systems and devices. This one seems fairly likely in their branching off the series to assure people are prepared for AA7 while being accessible.

2. Apollo Justice anime...and what better way to help that bundle with an anime season of AJ? While I kind of doubt it, it's possible?

3. New musical and merch. The former's already been confirmed, but they may discuss it more.

4. Ace Attorney 7. People expected it last year. People know it's there despite no official confirmation. It might be time to show it.

5. This one is wild, but: another crossover or appearance in another game.

If they all happen - great! But I'd expect one or two to happen at best. If I had to guess, it would be #2 and #4.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
How would we all feel if, somehow, Ace Attorney's only presence at or around TGS was Phoenix's inclusion in Smash? No new Ace Attorney game; no HD re-release of Apollo Justice through Spirit of Justice? Not that I find such a scenario especially likely, but would the former be any consolation to you in the absence of the latter, particularly AA7 yet again being absent?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
How would we all feel if, somehow, Ace Attorney's only presence at or around TGS was Phoenix's inclusion in Smash? No new Ace Attorney game; no HD re-release of Apollo Justice through Spirit of Justice? Not that I find such a scenario especially likely, but would the former be any consolation to you in the absence of the latter, particularly AA7 yet again being absent?
I would be 100% okay with this. If it means more people will play the original trilogy. Heck, Hero got me to play the Dragon Quest 11 demo and now I'm planning to get it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Conflicted. Phoenix in Smash would be awesome, but I really want AA7 already.

I sincerely doubt TGS will have a Smash reveal. A direct will be shortly after and I do not think Nintendo are attending as a company. I do not remember if the VGAs had confirmation or not of that, though...

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Conflicted. Phoenix in Smash would be awesome, but I really want AA7 already.

I sincerely doubt TGS will have a Smash reveal. A direct will be shortly after and I do not think Nintendo are attending as a company. I do not remember if the VGAs had confirmation or not of that, though...
Yeah, that's why I included "around" - I figure it's pretty unlikely for Nintendo to have any direct (no pun intended) involvement at TGS, but a Direct the week before or after seems plausible, at which Phoenix might theoretically be revealed.

But yeah, I'd be pretty torn - I've been aching for a new AA game for ages, and while I'd be cool with just a localization of Dai Gyakuten Saiban, we both know that's not happening.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would be delighted. We know AA7 is coming down the line, and if they're taking long with it to either make it look like a really next gen console game, or to hammer the story into place, that's great. And we'd also get the guy in Smash which is just the dream.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I loved how everyone had an air dash, I guess cause it fit the anime theme - everyone flying around all strong?, and Orbital Ring Systems Cargo Bay is one of my fav tracks ever <3 Too bad Phoenix and Franziska couldn't join the party as intended. Viewtiful Joe, Roll, and Completely Out of Character Frank West were pretty fun though!

Really hope we get a vs Capcom someday that gives the fans more of what they want, I think MvCi just gave em Megaman X? There was DLC like Venom but the prices were insulting and Monster Hunter was so clearly ready for the base roster... But yeah, uh, Gene from God Hand and Asura's Wrath are who I hear those most about from fan requests, so sure, get em in!

Aww and I remember rumors of Apollo getting in MvCi, and even Blackquill which I thought would be so weird but then thought of his sword, using Taka, using handcuffs for a command grab, a sped-up fight version of his theme <3

Really hope we get a new Capcom vs...well anything, Capcom vs Capcom would be great, could get more Ace Attorneys in there! I really think Trucy would make for a fun character doing all sorts of magic tricks! Using a magic box to teleport, using magic panties to make opponent projectiles disappear, doing some tricks with cards as an homage to Gambit from MvC1, using Mr. Hat, using Apollo, using her power to perceive, would be a lot of fun! Ooh and a fight version of her theme would be so goooood!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I freakin love the Vs. series and I wish Capcom would go ham with the licenses and branch out further. Marvel's getting a lot harder to deal with unfortunately (thanks Disney) so let's reach out to some other places.

Picture this: Jump Vs. Capcom
Mike Haggar vs. Kenshiro, Viewtiful Joe vs. Kinnikuman, Demitri Maximoff vs. Dio Brando

It would be the licensing nightmare from hell but it'd be so worth it and everyone would love it. Imagine taking Vegeta to court with a Phoenix Wright level 3.

some Heritage for the Future acknowledgement would be super neato too, Capcom

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think they completely gave up on multiple fighting crossovers these days. Which is especially annoying, because they're once again hyper-focusing on a handful of their IPs and ignoring the rest.

Heck, Ono wanted a Nintendo Vs. Capcom, but the big guys aren't budging in regards to that. Probably settled for waiting until the next time the Smash staff asks them for characters to use.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the Marvel Vs. series ended with the Ultimate version of 3, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Ow ,That's sad. Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM is a really underrated game
Yeah, one of several cases of Capcom somehow deciding not to milk something, just like with Pocket Fighter.

I freakin love the Vs. series and I wish Capcom would go ham with the licenses and branch out further. Marvel's getting a lot harder to deal with unfortunately (thanks Disney) so let's reach out to some other places.

Picture this: Jump Vs. Capcom
Mike Haggar vs. Kenshiro, Viewtiful Joe vs. Kinnikuman, Demitri Maximoff vs. Dio Brando

It would be the licensing nightmare from hell but it'd be so worth it and everyone would love it. Imagine taking Vegeta to court with a Phoenix Wright level 3.

some Heritage for the Future acknowledgement would be super neato too, Capcom
I mean, if J-Stars can be brought over...

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
UMvC3 was definitely the last good one, but I really feel for the part of the MvCi team that truly tried their hardest for the fans...they are appreciated and damn, it was just such a lose-lose for everyone...

I still have some hope, I also wanna ditch Marvel and have Capcom vs something else, but they see people still play UMvC3 and even MvCi and like, last week or something there was that event in SFV where you could fight Shadow Lady and she was doing huge Marvel combos and shooting missiles, I really hope that's a test or tease at things to come...!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Infinite had potential to be a really great game, I think most of it's problems just stemmed from Disney being Disney.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
nobody else want copcom vs studio ghibli then?
I somehow really doubt that Studio Ghibli would really lend its properties to a fighting game. Kinda goes against the message and feel of many of their films.

Imagine a Shonen Jump vs Capcom, though. . .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
nobody else want copcom vs studio ghibli then?
I somehow really doubt that Studio Ghibli would really lend its properties to a fighting game. Kinda goes against the message and feel of many of their films.

Imagine a Shonen Jump vs Capcom, though. . .
Also, Miyazaki was enraged the last time people adapted his films into video games, so I'd say it's a hard no on that one.

Mushihimesama (among others) is as close as you'll ever get to a Ghibli game. On that note, Switch port when?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also, Miyazaki was enraged the last time people adapted his films into video games, so I'd say it's a hard no on that one.

Mushihimesama (among others) is as close as you'll ever get to a Ghibli game. On that note, Switch port when?
Now I'm curious, what Ghibli movies got made into games?

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Ni no Kuni is the only game series Studio Ghibli is involved in, and that's because the series was inspired by Studio Ghibli films.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Best case scenario imo, Smash can get a lot of people into the series, more fans equals more demand for new games, its an absolute win for AA fans.

Top Bottom