• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So here's a bit of a random topic: What would you all want Phoenix' Smash render to look like? Traditional objection pose, or something else?
perhaps a combination, pointing forward in his usual pose with his other arms on his side like in his smug pose

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
So here's a bit of a random topic: What would you all want Phoenix' Smash render to look like? Traditional objection pose, or something else?
I think we'll get some kind of Objection pose, but not an exact replica of his Objection pose. Smash renders don't copy iconic poses one-for-one, they sorta do their own thing. But who knows, maybe Nick would be a special case.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
To let people know exactly what kind of person Phoenix is looking at his render alone, he should be pointing with one hand while exclaiming something (i.e. his mouth is open as if yelling), and then holding some sheets of paper in his other hand. Just based on that, you can tell he fights with "evidence and proof" while making accusations, which makes him stand out in a fighting game like Smash.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I wouldn't mind a more expressive render of the trilogy artwork. The one where he poses with a grin and the pointer finger, but also hope they just cook something new that fits.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If Phoenix doesn't point in his Smash render, I'll be pretty disappointed. If there is any video game character known for pointing, it's definitely Phoenix Wright.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If Phoenix doesn't point in his Smash render, I'll be pretty disappointed. If there is any video game character known for pointing, it's definitely Phoenix Wright.
I suppose you have a point there. Arguing this would truly be pointless.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and the other whos famous for pointing he was in a crossover with

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
How would y'all feel about getting an animated Smash trailer from Funimation? Something casual compared to Joker's animated reveal (more like Isabelle's smash trailer). Personally, I think it would be a nice change of pace.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How would y'all feel about getting an animated Smash trailer from Funimation? Something casual compared to Joker's animated reveal (more like Isabelle's smash trailer). Personally, I think it would be a nice change of pace.
itd be bones for nick though wouldnt it?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Funimation only dubs stuff. They are not an animation studio.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
A-1's quality for Ace Attorney varied way too much. I know they'd have a bigger budget for this probably, but I'd rather Bones.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think it would be oddly charming if his render is the one sprite where he has his hand behind his head.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I assume phoenix would will probably have an alt, so i imagine he would have some variant of him pointing for his main one, and the other would be the hands on hips pose.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not too sure Phoenix would have a modern alt. I could see Phoenix coming with the trilogy look and that's it. It is his iconic design.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I don't think any of Wright's costumes will have an alt. But if he does, Hobo Phoenix is pretty much a shoe-in, I'd think.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They didn't even give it to him in Marvel, a game co-created by Capcom. Why Smash?

DD Phoenix hasn't appeared in any game other than the two recent main line games. The design gets ignored for crossovers.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I can see the modern look get half the skins like Cloud and Bayo, but I'd prefer they all be the trilogy design personally. Maybe it could just get two like Joker? Hobo Phoenix is really cool and I want it to get spotlight, but it ruins a cool surprise, so no...I mean, Smash would do cool stuff despite spoilers, but just a no from me for ruining a really cool moment for people who could be introduced to Phoenix through Smash...

Mmmmm! Y'know what! Just call it the "beanie" costume instead of his
Badgeless, Kicked outta Court Forever Look
and fans might think it's just a disguise he wears or an homage to another character and then we can get away with it, keep it vague!

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I can see the modern look get half the skins like Cloud and Bayo, but I'd prefer they all be the trilogy design personally. Maybe it could just get two like Joker? Hobo Phoenix is really cool and I want it to get spotlight, but it ruins a cool surprise, so no...I mean, Smash would do cool stuff despite spoilers, but just a no from me for ruining a really cool moment for people who could be introduced to Phoenix through Smash...

Mmmmm! Y'know what! Just call it the "beanie" costume instead of his
Badgeless, Kicked outta Court Forever Look
and fans might think it's just a disguise he wears or an homage to another character and then we can get away with it, keep it vague!
I doubt that hobo Phoenix is something they'd hesitate to spoil. And let's be honest, in comparison to some other story elements in the games, it is really, really minor.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I think if he were to have an alt, it would be his open jacket design from Dual Destinies. Imo it's different enough to warrant an alt and is not spoilery.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They didn't even give it to him in Marvel, a game co-created by Capcom. Why Smash?

DD Phoenix hasn't appeared in any game other than the two recent main line games. The design gets ignored for crossovers.
Personally I've never been a fan of this design so I'm cool with it not showing up in crossovers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

you mean the corssovers that debuted before the design? marvel vs was two years before dual destinies, layton vs wright was the year before, project x zone 2 aure, but it can only apply to 1 out of 3

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's a good point. And looking into it, found some Ace Attorney stuff in something called "Puzzle & Dragons" and he looks cool here!

Here's the full link for more art, info, including Apollo, Maya, and Rayfa! https://aceattorney.fandom.com/wiki/Puzzle_&_Dragons
I guess I just personally don't like Phoenix and Apollo's looks in the 3D games. I think the team did a great job and everything, but even after all this time it's not something I just could get used to, they really look awkward and off a lot, really prefer their sprites or 2D art... I like how they look in the anime cutscenes and I like Phoenix PLvsAA model, but there's something about the new one that just seems... off to me, annoying I can't describe it better haha

Oh, especially when they did that little flashback moment in Dual Destinies, where they put the new model in the beanie outfit for a sec! No matter how much I look at it, my brain doesn't click that it's the same guy.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I didn't know they were in a puzzle and Dragons game, that's so weird.
They seem to guest star in a lot of Japanese phone games which makes me jealous haha, I'd definitely redownload Fire Emblem Heroes if Phoenix and Maya visited Ylisse again, but anyway, here's an incomplete lift of stuff! https://fictionalcrossover.fandom.com/wiki/Ace_Attorney I don't think I see it here but I know court-records reported Phoenix and friends guest starring in another Japanese phone game...can't remember the name of it for my life but I know it was like 10 characters, a nice big chunk, and Phoenix was like S rank rarity and Larry, Pearl, and Gumshoe were less rare...

Weird there's no Ace Attorney stuff in Teppen yet! Kinda feels bad when they're not included in those things, I mean, dodging MvCi was good, but still, ouch a bit...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Weird there's no Ace Attorney stuff in Teppen yet! Kinda feels bad when they're not included in those things, I mean, dodging MvCi was good, but still, ouch a bit...
I wouldn't worry. Teppen seems to have relatively little content for now... probably for balancing issues.

I mean, Jill Valentine wasn't a playable character until... last month, I think? And some series bigger than AA also have few or no cards, as well as some smaller ones (Darkstalkers) that were included already, too. I think AA content for Teppen is inevitable, really. Even if it takes a while to happen.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I kind of like the idea of having modern Phoenix as a costume. It doesn't really spoil anything either. The other idea I had would be an Apollo costume (like Alph, the koopalings and the heroes), no real spoilers either and he has his own game, but would only work if Maya is not in Phoenix's moveset. (unless they can somehow replace Maya with Trucy, then I guess it could work...?)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, it did last time with the Fantastic Four in MvC3 and the X-Men in Infinite... not sure how that works, bu depending on how the rights were divided...
but dr doom was in mvc3 and hes part of the ff licence, and do we know for sure thats why they were left out of infinite?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Marvel villains generally seem to be outside of those negotiations, since the heroes are more marketable by brand name, besides not necessarily always being tied to one series all the time (which is how we got Wilson Fisk as a major villain for Daredevil's movie deal).

That's probably why the FF never got to show up in the dawn of MvC either, the Marvel movie license negotiations must have been started. Don't bring up the FF Playstation game, we don't talk about that.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
but dr doom was in mvc3 and hes part of the ff licence, and do we know for sure thats why they were left out of infinite?
Well, the characters who were missing from Infinite were the ones whose licenses didn't belong directly to Disney at the time, Doom, X-Men and Deadpool included. I don't think anyone ever said anything officially, but... come on, some of these characters were MvC veterans, there was no other reason to cut them.

... though, why are we talking about this, exactly? Was it just about MvC?

Man, I just wish they made Nintendo vs Capcom or another Tatsunoko vs Capcom. That one is really underrated. Also, supposedly Phoenix was going to be in originally, so maybe...?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
MvC, yes.

That being said, the reason why Phoenix got cut was because translating the speech bubbles would have made their size and hitbox broken for the US release. Luckily they thought of a workaround by MvC3. I just wish we actually got Yattarou/Speedy Cerviche, instead they backed out despite being surprised that the West remembered Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, the characters who were missing from Infinite were the ones whose licenses didn't belong directly to Disney at the time, Doom, X-Men and Deadpool included. I don't think anyone ever said anything officially, but... come on, some of these characters were MvC veterans, there was no other reason to cut them.

... though, why are we talking about this, exactly? Was it just about MvC?

Man, I just wish they made Nintendo vs Capcom or another Tatsunoko vs Capcom. That one is really underrated. Also, supposedly Phoenix was going to be in originally, so maybe...?
well disney did own those characters, it was just the movie rights they didnt own, there have been a fair number of other marvel games with those characters in them

MvC, yes.

That being said, the reason why Phoenix got cut was because translating the speech bubbles would have made their size and hitbox broken for the US release. Luckily they thought of a workaround by MvC3.
that was for tatsunoko vs capcom

Top Bottom