• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe I forgot to post this idea I had for a courtroom stage since I think there's been some trouble on deciding how it would work. Have a look:

1564718290476.png

This is my idea for a legal (heh) Ace Attorney stage. Its only feature is a justice scale platform in the foreground, something like the one in that Mushroom Kingdom Melee stage. It works as you'd imagine it would: when a character steps on one of the platforms, the platform would go down and the other would go up. The rate at which this happens depends on the character's weight. However, this scale wouldn't break (unlike the one in the Mushroom Kingdom stage) and would just stop at a point. This is a perfect representation of how the balance of justice is handled in the courtroom. It's very poetic.

Of course, in the background, you'd have a crazy courtroom debate going on, with "Objection!"s, "Hold it!"s, and "Take that!"s going on (maybe with a side of "Gotcha!" or "Got it!"), all with their respective voiceclips. Various prosecutors and defense attorneys from the series would take up their respective benches. The selection would be referential of all the matchups the series has had, or could be completely randomized for some flair. Like Mementos, perhaps the background and style of the court could also change depending on what era the music is playing is from (e.g., classic courtroom for trilogy music, AJ courtroom for AJ music, destroyed courtroom for DD, Khura'in court for SoJ). The Judge could also swap out for his Canadian sibling or his long-lost Khura'inese relative.

Of course, when Phoenix Wright joins the battle, Apollo Justice is in charge of the defense.
Apollo: "I'm fine!!"

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
If we get that stage, I’d like to see Mia and debut Edgeworth as a part of the rotation.

Here’s another question. Would they call the stage just “Courtroom”, or “Courtroom No. 2”?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If we get that stage, I’d like to see Mia and debut Edgeworth as a part of the rotation.

Here’s another question. Would they call the stage just “Courtroom”, or “Courtroom No. 2”?
i imagine itd just be courtroom

Northadox

Smash Apprentice

Courtroom No. 4 has had the most trials in the series, so if it's just one courtroom, that one. I'd also opt for a generic "courtroom" if it meant getting all the various courtrooms from the Ace Attorney series.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I do not think they would copy the Persona feature with the music changing the stage.

As a visual novel stage they already have an unique concept that could work its own way. Maybe you could interactively change the story being told by collecting evidence?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I do not think they would copy the Persona feature with the music changing the stage.

As a visual novel stage they already have an unique concept that could work its own way. Maybe you could interactively change the story being told by collecting evidence?
I don’t think they would go that far. Most I could see them doing is having the emotions of the characters change in the background. Maybe they could show random witnesses too.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Y'know, with all these weird rumors about a girl character, it would be pretty weird and surprising but I would totally we cool with Athena as DLC #4 repping Ace Attorney personally!

She could do everything Phoenix does minus the Magatama but plus the Mood Matrix, she could have Phoenix and Apollo point with her for her final Smash, and her theme is already too perfect for a reveal trailer!

...it'd be super weird, but came to mind and realized how fine with it I'd be haha Wonder how y'all'd feel!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Y'know, with all these weird rumors about a girl character, it would be pretty weird and surprising but I would totally we cool with Athena as DLC #4 repping Ace Attorney personally!

She could do everything Phoenix does minus the Magatama but plus the Mood Matrix, she could have Phoenix and Apollo point with her for her final Smash, and her theme is already too perfect for a reveal trailer!

...it'd be super weird, but came to mind and realized how fine with it I'd be haha Wonder how y'all'd feel!

Athena's one of if not my favorite Ace Attorney character, but it would feel so weird to see her get in over Phoenix.

Unless AA7 is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney, I don't see it. (I'd love for that to happen though)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Athena's one of if not my favorite Ace Attorney character, but it would feel so weird to see her get in over Phoenix.

Unless AA7 is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney, I don't see it. (I'd love for that to happen though)
Oh I'm not sayin it's likely or anything, most people definitely wouldn't recognize her over Phoenix, even if they were both "Objecting", but really I think the major thing prompting this is how perfect her music is for a reveal, but hey mood matrix would be super fun too, plus she flipped a guy once pwshh

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh dude I'd lose my MIND if it was Athena to promote Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney! Especially if Phoenix still got in her victory poses or final smash! Athena is my favorite!

Her throw needs to be the judo throw!

Calamitas

Smash Champion

It'd be nice to see, but I honestly would prefer it if Athena was properly given the spotlight before that happened. Both Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice were essentially Apollo's thing, the latter especially. Once they're done with Apollo's focus after (presumably) AA7 (seeing as Phoenix was in talks with you-know-who to finally reveal a certain thing at the end of AA6), it really should be her "turn".

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Having Athena in Smash would be such a great dream, I freaking love this character!! And yeah her music is great too. As I said sometime before, unfortunately the only way I see her getting in is as an Echo or an alternative costume. And yess, hopefully we'll get Athena as the main protagonist in AA7!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn’t really make sense to put in Athena over Nick, imo. They just made the original trilogy available to everyone, so having Nick in smash would boost sales of the trilogy. Then people would buy the next AA.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Can't say I'd be too enthused with Athena. Sure, I like Ace Attorney. I'd be pumped a little because of the fact. Athena herself is an okay-ish character; some good moments and story beats. 5-5 was aight. But if Athena's the one to represent the franchise, that's just gonna be a kick in the nuts to fans and Takumi.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Interesting to see people's reactions! I personally prefer Phoenix most and then Apollo and would be perfectly fine with Athena, but hey, if I can have a preference then that's my order! Neat to see some people remind me of how people didn't like Apollo, missing Phoenix and that's partly why he came back in Dual Destinies - fan demand, but also how some love her so much already and might prefer it! But yeah, most people recognize Phoenix if anyone from Ace Attorney so he makes the most sense of course, and ahhh, feels like the time is coming up...

It's almost September, where we'll get TGS and definitely a Nintendo Direct too...we don't know if they will want to reveal a new character, can't guarantee that, they may have a Nintendo Direct early September and then announce a Smash Direct around September 20ish, but yeah, it feels like do or die time is coming up. I still have this feeling like Nick's either #4 or just not in. But I think he is #4! ...probably! And I'm guessing #5 is like...Geno or mayyybe Frisk from Undertale, but probably Geno! Those are the guesses I'm stickin with!

Hmmm, what music should they use for his trailer though...Objection and Cornered again? Would definitely work, but I think I'd prefer a remix of Turnabout Sisters, that's the most "Ace Attorney!!" track of all to me!

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, what music should they use for his trailer though...Objection and Cornered again? Would definitely work, but I think I'd prefer a remix of Turnabout Sisters, that's the most "Ace Attorney!!" track of all to me!
A Smash reveal tune's gotta bring the hype. I know people like Turnabout Sisters and all, but it's Maya's tune, not Nick's! And Nick's got like a dozen leitmotifs to pick from. Personally, if it's fast-paced and nuts, I'd like Cornered, but if it's a more triumphant kinda thing, Objection 2004 would be cool beans. Or they could go for a different Pursuit theme like Keep Pressing On.

I think this fan-made trailer did it rather well:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I could see Athena being a rep later down the line, after Wright gets in. I honestly couldn't see her getting in over him, with fan reception to her being largely mixed (I personally liked her, but think she needs more fleshing out like Apollo got). Being an Echo might not entirely do her justice (heh) either, and I think she'd work better as a Semi-Clone with a Mood Matrix mechanic, maybe something like a Monado Arts-like move but instead applying stat debuffs to the opponent? Stuff like blind rage raising attack but lowering defense, defensive fright doing the inverse, etc. And speaking of a Wright Echo/Semi-clone, I think Apollo would get that honor first, so it might be a while before we can even dream of Athena being playable. I could see her appearing as a Spirit though, perhaps? Daisy would be a perfect fit for her.

An ideal reveal trailer theme would be a medley of Pursuit themes across the series, of course starting with the iconic Pursuit ~ Cornered. From there it could lead into either T&T or JfA's and then T&T's Pursuit, AJ's Pursuit, either DD's or SoJ's Pursuit (would personally voucher for the latter), and close off with the hype variation mix of the original Pursuit, looping from there. That would be a treat to the ears, make for hype fight music, and be a nice callback to the series history, ideally with a couple bits from both the original and new trilogy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering how Japanese AA fans feel when anyone besides the man himself is the main character, I don't think they'd take Athena getting over him first well. Like, at all.

Unless AA7 is a franchise unto itself (:ultjoker:) or promoted to hell and back (:ulthero:), I don't see it chief.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't want the next mainline Ace Attorney game to star Phoenix in the slightest. I was disappointed when he turned out to be the focus of Apollo Justice's game and we only got backstory for Apollo in the following games. The next game should star either Apollo, Athena, or a brand new character.

...but for Smash it really should be Phoenix first.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I don't want the next mainline Ace Attorney game to star Phoenix in the slightest. I was disappointed when he turned out to be the focus of Apollo Justice's game and we only got backstory for Apollo in the following games. The next game should star either Apollo, Athena, or a brand new character.

...but for Smash it really should be Phoenix first.
To be fair, Ace Attorney 1 is more about Edgeworth than Phoenix, I'd say the same goes for 3 and Mia personally, but not to the same degree.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Ace Attorney 1 is more about Edgeworth than Phoenix, I'd say the same goes for 3 and Mia personally, but not to the same degree.
Honestly, AA games are rarely about the character you're playing as so much as the people around them, which is why Apollo Justice was so wrapped up in Phoenix and Trucy's story, because they're the primary supporting characters.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
AA5 was also big as an Athena game. Her being the protagonist next and maybe being rivals with Robin or something would be really great. Junie as the judge. And then just do an interesting mystery story where she grows and helps someone in need.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
...I feel like people still think I somehow implied Athena could get in over Phoenix somehow when that really isn't what I meant...! Pretty sure we're all in agreement that she only has a chance if she's the star of 7 and even then Phoenix is still the most recognizable yadda yadda!

Was wondering how people would interpret the mood matrix and stuff, like, would it be like Hero's menu where you pick from a list of emotions, would it be best as just an aesthetic of a final smash, where the opponent has emotional chaos before being pointed at by the trio, would it maybe be a command grab somehow, y'know! I guess it was really late and I was pretty rambly anyway haha

Unless Phoenix gets echo fighters, getting Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena in a vsCapcom game is more realistic and a cool possibility! Even though I want more unexpected choices like Trucy! But even then there, what do you do with the mood matrix as a fighting game move or moves...

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I can't see a timeline where Athena in before Phoenix.
That aside I think for the most fitting song for a reveal trailer would be a remix of Objection 2001, arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare if possible.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of a humorous reveal trailer where Doug Bowser was behind the witness stand, and he’s revealed to be actually Bowser. They could use animated footage from Cloverworks in place of 3D models.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Considering how Japanese AA fans feel when anyone besides the man himself is the main character, I don't think they'd take Athena getting over him first well. Like, at all.

Unless AA7 is a franchise unto itself (:ultjoker:) or promoted to hell and back (:ulthero:), I don't see it chief.
Last I heard Apollo is fairly popular over there?

Athena's problem is adding her in too quickly. Apollo needed to be fleshed out more first. If she were to be added in AA7 that'd be much better.
I personally do not mind her, but she needs something in AA7 that shows growth.

As for adding her in Smash: no way. While I'd obviously love the content that comes with her, the character itself poorly represents the series and visual novels as a whole. She'd be the 4th or 5th choice logically speaking.

It has to be Phoenix. He's the first visual novel character to make a splash and is widely known even by non-AA fans while other characters are not. Edgeworth has the inner AA fandom to fall back on, but he wouldn't be added without Phoenix. Likewise Apollo.

Athena wouldn't be a bad choice for Marvel vs Capcom, but for Smash it's Wright or nothing.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
...I feel like people still think I somehow implied Athena could get in over Phoenix somehow when that really isn't what I meant...!
Uh! I was like "how would you feel if" just wondering, and some of the responses are just "she wouldn't" like yeah I know she wouldn't but what if? "Doesn't make sense" guyyys I knowww! Pwsssh, oh well! Guess we're all just waiting for news anyway!

But oh, if anyone cares to share, I guess I am curious on thoughts over something as specific as Phoenix's Entrance? I've heard entering through Court Doors, or just being there checking papers like in MvC3, but yall got any ideas? Maybe using his bike from concept art and the anime? Maybe Edgeworth drives him to the battlefield? Pwsh haha, getting outta the passanger's seat "Thanks again Edgeworth..." "Mhm, good luck Wright"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I like the idea of just reusing his MVC3 entrance, but adding in that he walks in from the side. Maybe just have him saying "The defense is ready!" As he does this
It just fits him perfectly imo

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
In the newer games there's the animation of doors of the courtroom opening before a trial starts, so I want that. It'd be like Palutena's, except Nick goes "The defense is ready, Your Honor!"

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:
Top Bottom