• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I'm going to be cutting clips today/tomorrow. I'll have a video of clips set private on youtube for you and other Mewtwos' opinions on them.

I'll post again when I have the video up so I can give you guys the ability to be able to view the video.

The Phenom

Smash Lord

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
judging by your avatar you're a brawl player lol :troll:

I'm gonna watch a few of your vids today Phenom, i don't have time to go through all of them atm :-/

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
if you can play both fluidly despite the massive engine differences then more power to you i say, because i certainly can't, no joking

you don't like Ike anymore? DX

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Do confusion or disable have any real uses? I can see Disable being useful to stun them at high percentages to get a Grab -> Uthrow or an Smash off to kill. And I know about the thing with Confusion on Battlefield but are there any other, more common, uses

Also with confusion, when you reflect a projectile does it damage the opponent if it hits them?

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
Do confusion or disable have any real uses? I can see Disable being useful to stun them at high percentages to get a Grab -> Uthrow or an Smash off to kill. And I know about the thing with Confusion on Battlefield but are there any other, more common, uses

Also with confusion, when you reflect a projectile does it damage the opponent if it hits them?
Reflecting a projectile with Confusion will not damge the opponent back. (Unless it's one of Link's bombs.)

Confusion and Disable do have their uses in battle however. (Great mind game options for M2 by far...)

-$^

:phone:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
confusion doesn't have many practical uses, disable is situational but does have it's uses

the best uses for confusion outside of the battlefield thing is when Peach gets a Bomb-omb. if she tosses it at you confusion it. it will hit her. :D

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Disable is the closest thing Mewtwo has to range & priority in front and above him. It also seems to have random combo applications. I think I read Taj talking about how it's pretty good vs f-tilt spammy Sheiks - not sure how old the post was or if it was a real post (or just my imagination) but it seems like it would be okay vs it. Seems reasonable vs grounded opponents that like to face you in general.

Confusion is either really good or really bad (but you might be able to make it work once in a blue moon). If they know how to escape the knockdown, it's the latter. If they don't, it's the former.

I think SH airdodge + Z catch is a better play vs Peach hurling a bob-omb at you if you intend to turn the bomb against her. The timing window's more lenient and Mewtwo's unique airdodge properties work to his benefit there (probably won't get hit if you miss the catch unless you mistime the airdodge fairly poorly).

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
how do you escape confusion? I thought you just had to tech against it. can you wiggle out or something?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ah ok good to know, though i doubt it will ever come up unless i play you and you are toying with me

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is Donkey Kong a good secondary for Mewtwo players? And what higher tier character makes a good second main for Mewtwo players (considering Puff now)? Also, is Battlefield Mewtwo's best stage overall?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Is Donkey Kong a good secondary for Mewtwo players? And what higher tier character makes a good second main for Mewtwo players (considering Puff now)? Also, is Battlefield Mewtwo's best stage overall?

1: Donkey Kong is a better character choice overall,

2: Fox. 10 fox

3: Battlefield is overall a good stage for mewtwo apart from the edge randomly hating you (happens to all characters tho so it's w.e.). other than battlefield i wanna say DL64 is a good mewtwo stage against most characters, barring fox, sheik and falcon. Fountain of Dreams isn't a bad stage either.

just my 2 cents

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I just wanted to say, I love this game. Imma set up my recording **** tonight and start putting more mewtwo footage out there, I think the last video I had recorded was me getting worked by Yakal's falco, **** was embarassing. I just couldnt get in the zone, makes me sad.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
@ Kaos: that should be interesting. these forums are dead lol

@ blackgold: mewtwo has no long sheik type chainthrows on any of the cast if they DI the downthrow properly; heck if marth DIs away hard enough he can fair before he hits the ground lol

in other news i've given up on melee competitively alltogether, going back to being a casual player. i'll still be around here tho, i know way more about the game and how things work than is evident in how consistantly i play or how miserably i've placed in tournaments the past 3 years

EDIT: for ****s and giggles, i might post what little i had edited together for the surprise sequel to my old combo video i was working on about 6 months ago. it's just a beta version i managed to save before my editing system peed itself and died

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Mewtwo has a 0% regrab on himself, and every other character can just DI away to escape every follow up Mewtwo has on down throw. Fox and Falco can be regrabbed at 0% with upthrow if they DI directly left and right.

Otherwise, you can tech chase by the edge against fast fallers, and you can only chain throw if middle fallers like Yoshi, Sheik, Ness, Pikachu, etc. all DI into you. You may need to down tilt then regrab for most of those characters though.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Mewtwo has a 0% regrab on himself, and every other character can just DI away to escape every follow up Mewtwo has on down throw. Fox and Falco can be regrabbed at 0% with upthrow if they DI directly left and right.

Otherwise, you can tech chase by the edge against fast fallers, and you can only chain throw if middle fallers like Yoshi, Sheik, Ness, Pikachu, etc. all DI into you. You may need to down tilt then regrab for most of those characters though.
i didn't know that about the regrab on himself... does that have something to do with the hurtboxes on his tail maybe?

I've never gotten the regrab on upthrow against a human, perhaps it doesn't work on the spacies if they DI up and away?

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
I've found short-hop confusion very effective against Ganon, cutting off his aerial approaches and even hitting him when he's standing on the ground. It's nice OoS too, and to tech-chase on low platforms if they don't avoid the knockdown.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
@ blackgold: i would reccomend practicing sweetspotting the ledge from awkward angles with teleport, and practicing OoS shenanigans, such as DJC nair/fair OoS or SH Teleport OoS

@ onionchowder: interesting... that does sound like a decent trick; however it does require the ganondorf player to not outreact you and put his fair through mewtwo's face during confusion's startup. so long as you time it right it might always work as you described it... i'll have to have Life help me test it next time i play with the crew.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
SH Confusion would be awesome to counter almost every character's SHFFL, but every character can still punish you harder for hitting them with confusion. If they DON'T know that they can own you for confusing them, then it is excellent.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
It's going ok. I'm surprised at how different I play offline than I do online. I can do crazier reaction shenanigans. Overall, I still don't have my combos down 95% and I don't have strong hit-confirms yet, but it's fun when I do play from time to time. :D

Top Bottom