• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
You don't even need to wavedash off the ledge. You just dash off the stage into a teleport angled to the ledge.

You just have understand the character's weight/fall speed and react to their DI. Sometimes you can see down tilt > grab being the most reliable because of their weight and percentage, or you can see extended combos like down tilt > down tilt > grab, down tilt > down tilt > forward air > up air, or down tilt > down tilt > DJC up air > down tilt > forward air > neutral/up air.

Almost every Mewtwo combo from down tilt is DI dependent, and you won't necessarily get down tilt into anything a lot of the time. You just have to learn what you can get away with from experience and reactions.

The tip of the back air combos into itself so you ideally want to hit with that part. You only want to sweet spot (center of the tail) with it if you know it will KO off the side since upwards DI can help most characters back rather than set up for the easy edge hog like the tipped part.

I'm not sure if I'll make it to the tournament or not until I get my new work schedule.

Castrate

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for your response.

But basically what you're saying is with these combos, it's relative (regarding their DI)? That helps a lot. Thanks.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Perhaps it's time for me to suck it up and start playing with the M2 again despite not having my good controller anymore...

@giovanni- Play Mewtwo and learn to be safer than you need to be with any other character with significantly less tools. Because he's floaty, got a good wavedash and long roll, he's kind of hard to hit when you get good controls and can flow from ledge to stage and stage to ledge really easily. You gotta learn Melee style footsies and find openings in ways that are different than other characters that can just walk up and hit a shield or cross it up.

Watch vids, (what few of them there are) play smart, play safe, and have tight handles.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea, its that time taj lol.

also anybody else notice that when you shield during an initial dash mewtwo doesn't curl up his tail? it just lays on the floor. I think its why its a bit easier to power shield attacks (above ground level) while dashing away or doing some sort of pivot like turnaround shields.

:phone:

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Perhaps it's time for me to suck it up and start playing with the M2 again despite not having my good controller anymore...

@giovanni- Play Mewtwo and learn to be safer than you need to be with any other character with significantly less tools. Because he's floaty, got a good wavedash and long roll, he's kind of hard to hit when you get good controls and can flow from ledge to stage and stage to ledge really easily. You gotta learn Melee style footsies and find openings in ways that are different than other characters that can just walk up and hit a shield or cross it up.

Watch vids, (what few of them there are) play smart, play safe, and have tight handles.
Sounds like Mewtwo would have a problem with Zelda
-nods-

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
M2 only has problems with Zelda if you fall behind. It really just depends on how the Zelda wants to play. If you play against a Zelda that actually wants to fight, the matchup is very winnable regardless of stock count. If you play a Zelda that is looking to win every way that she can... then you're going to need to be prepared for a long match or be MUCH better than the Zelda so you can still just crush her.

Mewtwo is good enough to get ahead on Zelda and run away, too. So just like Peach and Jiggs, M2 vs Zelda is going to be a long match at higher level.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i agree with the melee footsies thing, except with mewtwo it applies to all the MUs lol. He can't trade hits with anyone

Playing mewtwo badly or well with me usually depends on how well i'm moving the character. Meh

The Phenom

Smash Lord
happy thanksgiving Mewtwo forums.. n_n

~Vman~

Happy thanksgiving Tony! ^^;
Happy Thanksgiving to my Mewtwo brethren!
sameZies-happy thanksgiving!

Alright you guys so I have enough good clips I think to start part two of my title concept An Inter-Dimensional combo. I'm off this Thursday(black Thursday!) so I'm going to be cutting the clips.

Hopefully I can send/talk to you guys sooner by then so I know what should go in the combo video.
---------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
Yo, what do you guys know about M2 vs Jiggs? I don't really have much experience vs Jiggs, so I'm un-certain as to how I should be approaching this match up.

Any inputs or advice?

-$^

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
The matchup sucks. You pretty much just have to be significantly better than the Jiggs to win.

You have to be very patient. Just keep waiting for errors and openings. If you over extend or get overly aggressive, you get rested. I hate playing the matchup, even against weaker players. You just don't dominate it even if you're winning. You just have to keep waiting until they have bad spacing and you have to have godlike spacing the entire match or you fall behind.

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
The matchup sucks. You pretty much just have to be significantly better than the Jiggs to win.

You have to be very patient. Just keep waiting for errors and openings. If you over extend or get overly aggressive, you get rested. I hate playing the matchup, even against weaker players. You just don't dominate it even if you're winning. You just have to keep waiting until they have bad spacing and you have to have godlike spacing the entire match or you fall behind.
Wow....that really does suck for M2. Do you happen to have any vids that covers this match up more indeph, Taj?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I don't think I do. :(

I've beaten some of the best Jiggs players with M2, but I think the only match I have is Hbox cleaning up my Mewtwo in Apex 2010 crews. Hbox basically plays the match perfectly. If I'm even remotely close in skill to the Jiggs, the only way I can win is if they try to fight me. If they wanted to play similarly to Hbox, I'd undoubtedly lose even if they were a little less skilled than me. Unless I was in beast mode or something and I was hyper focused.

However, the last good Puff I played with M2 in tournament was The King. I won 2-0, but that was a very long time ago.

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I do. :(

I've beaten some of the best Jiggs players with M2, but I think the only match I have is Hbox cleaning up my Mewtwo in Apex 2010 crews. Hbox basically plays the match perfectly. If I'm even remotely close in skill to the Jiggs, the only way I can win is if they try to fight me. If they wanted to play similarly to Hbox, I'd undoubtedly lose even if they were a little less skilled than me. Unless I was in beast mode or something and I was hyper focused.

However, the last good Puff I played with M2 in tournament was The King. I won 2-0, but that was a very long time ago.
Super Beast mode, lol. But, it's kool. I guess I'm just gonna have learn this MU to the best of my ability then.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you gotta go out on a limb. throw fc shadow balls and prey they hit...since mewtwo gets bodied in the mu anyway I do a bunch of wave dash into up smash. its deceptive and has a bit of kill potential. secondly approach with fair. just full jump fair in and out. if u lose that aerial battle just know nair would have lost too, fair trades better and has more priority.

puff can straight up just out space you. basically everything that taj said. u just gotta capitalize on poor spacing, make every grab count and know when to reset to neutral. you can't afford to take random damage. also puff can throw rest out at low percents cuz mewtwo can't punish it very well.

so basically....learn to greeze and make them think you have tools to compete with them, up smash and fairs and shadow balls to pretend to fight her in the air. if she is on the ground look for grabs, d tilt, and you can take a chance with occasional d smashes. im more likely to nair puff from below or if she is in the air but low to the ground.

its hard man lol.

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
you gotta go out on a limb. throw fc shadow balls and prey they hit...since mewtwo gets bodied in the mu anyway I do a bunch of wave dash into up smash. its deceptive and has a bit of kill potential. secondly approach with fair. just full jump fair in and out. if u lose that aerial battle just know nair would have lost too, fair trades better and has more priority.

puff can straight up just out space you. basically everything that taj said. u just gotta capitalize on poor spacing, make every grab count and know when to reset to neutral. you can't afford to take random damage. also puff can throw rest out at low percents cuz mewtwo can't punish it very well.

so basically....learn to greeze and make them think you have tools to compete with them, up smash and fairs and shadow balls to pretend to fight her in the air. if she is on the ground look for grabs, d tilt, and you can take a chance with occasional d smashes. im more likely to nair puff from below or if she is in the air but low to the ground.

its hard man lol.

Yeah, it sounds pretty hard to pull off. Jiggs is so annoying... -___- Are there any good stages that would be ideal to take Puff to, that would give M2 some type of advantage? I'd like to think stages with an low celling for early Up Throw or Fair kills would be good choices for Counter Picks.

Opinions?

-$^

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
yeah at a mass madness a few months ago Darc and I were playing casuals and someone was shouting that we should play mewtwo vs puff and neither of us wanted to put up with the headache lol. if the puff knows that he beats mewtwo your screwed. bair beats everything. its mad dumb.

the only positive is that puff dies easily if you land a hit at like 90% or so, and you can actually compete with puff's aeriel mobilty even if you get outspaced. the best advice i could give would be similar to Taj's and Kaos's: frustrate the puff and get them to make mistakes. as long as you avoid getting rested you can force it to become a battle of attrition

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
stage wise...yoshi, stadium, fd, bf. avoid dl, fod kongo.

I highly suggest the first 3. you want them to fear that fair meaning as an anti air its gotta kill. a good strategy is to freshen up your fair by hitting with shadow balls before you attempt a kill strike.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
if only the range wasn't such crud.

i mean c'mon, a creature with telekentic powers wouldn't use that power to extend it's reach at all right? :troll: (doesn't apply to Ness since he has attacks that actually extend his reach)

there i go complaining again :lol:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I used to post...a lot
but since Ive started school I havent been posting as much...
I've gone from like 24k to 25k in the past 6 months.

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
This just a random thought, but what if everytime M2 got a grab and zapped the opponent, he would drain their damage and heal his own damage % accordingly.

Thoughts?

-$^

The Phenom

Smash Lord
We'll see if I get through all the vids. by this weekend..If I do, I will post the ones that I would not know what to do with them.

-do like a private youtube session or something; stupid 9...

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
that reminds me

i was making a sequel to my olllllllld video and my editing system decided to pee itself and die. i am interested to see yours tho :)

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Please start suggesting songs(if willing) that I can use for the combo video, thank you! I might end up using one I don't know!

Instrumental sound arrangements that sound like it came from Techno, Trance. Sounds that go with videos like this.

Video(s) explains the reality of the universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o5FMTHkLQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=F...eature=player_detailpage&v=tFwWYowLn3w#t=195s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jGaio87u3A&feature=related

---------
I still have yet to share the clips with you guys to get a better idea what should go in like I said earlier.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
my advice would be to go with whatever music you think fits the video best. no music you choose is gonna please EVERYONE.

for example i can't stand dubstep and always mute it when it comes up in a video. but other people love it. to each thier own y'know?

Top Bottom