• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I have laid down the gauntlet on melee I am quitting my main Falco to pick up Mewtwo. The first match played with him against a level 9 showed me he has potential. I have read all of Taj's post and want to say how helpful they were. The reaction of sitting down next to someone and picking Mewtwo is priceless, he thinks its going to be an easy fight. A crowd gathers rather quickly when this happens.

However I may not be at that level to beat Dr.PP, Armada, M2K or even stand close to them as Taj would. I need to weed out some errors in my game play to become a great Mewtwo player.

I see Taj, doesn't post much on his profile anymore, nor do I know if he even still goes on the boards on a different account to look at these but I have a few questions.

Things I need help with:

1. On Taj's shadowclaw videos, I see him doing a infinite invincible frame edge hog. Mewtwo's Up-B is unique compared to other characters and I want to know what positioning and actions you need to do to consistently do the edge hog.

2. When to charge and fire projectiles. Out of all seriousness in the competitive scene when do you have the time to charge projectiles? They are key for Mewtwo's victory and has a helpful knockback and stun if it hits the player while charging and firing.

3. How to approach any character at 0%... I need help with this I know the tech skill when I was playing with Falco and can combo however, I have a tough time approaching. I know different characters you need a different approach and its depending on the play style. Any tips is appreciated. Level 9's are different from humans and they do some crazy **** sometimes....

4. When to Down-B. When to Side-B, Crucial moves on Mewtwo's move set as I think from Taj's shadow claw videos. I want to know when to Down-B, is it random when your opponent is unsuspecting it? On Level 9's they can Power shield this move almost every time. A player would have a tough time doing that... Now the Side-B move is unique, When do you use it though? When recovering to the edge? Or is it a surprise factor again? Also what frame and position does it need to be to do the Side-B through the stage glitch. I seen it a couple times on Taj's videos.

Aside from the technical stuff, I know how to do it, Wavedash, L-cancle, ect ect... Just need to weed out some problems in game play. A reply would be great. Thank you Fellow Mewtwo players, I want to stay committed to Mewtwo as Taj was.

If there are some grammar errors I am sorry. I was sick when I wrote this...

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
ok so update on the tournament: i got whooped, hard! i couldve made it to winners bracket but there were no seeds, just random matchups, so i played against some really good marths. kinda a waste of 15 bucks. but at the same time, i know im helping keep smash alive in my town, and now i know how good ill have to be if i wanna compete.

i will become the pokemon master.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Best of luck, you have an extremely hard road ahead. I'm not Taj, but I'll go ahead... if I get anything wrong or forget things, please correct me.

1. The ledgehog is pretty easy once you get a feel for the different timings. Just practice, my dude. I do the invincible stall by holding away from ledge, jumping, waiting a tick, then teleport to sweetspot. Be sure not to screw up and accidentally use confusion. Practice.

2. The simplest answer is: when you get the chance to. If you have conditioned your opponent to tech a certain way, though, you can get away with SH reverse charge cancel on them to get some damage in (and some laughs).

3. Different for each character, really. M2's game focuses heavily around pokes and grabs, especially at low %s. Master WD->dtilt and grab setups off of DJC aerials/baby shadowballs.

4. Extremely situational. You have to remember that you're not playing a character like sheik, where you can just follow a basic guideline. Disable and confusion can both aid in recovery, as they put M2 in a momentum stall. You don't want to be using confusion much, as EVERY character in the game can bair you out of it (assuming they know it's possible and can react fast enough). Disable can be very difficult to land, as the opponent has to both be on the ground, close to you, and facing you. Jab reset->disable is the only truly "reliable" setup. Confusion pulls through battlefield when you're falling past the ledge--it's easy, just try it on a low level computer.

Find people in your area (preferably much more experienced than yourself) that you can train with. You are going to need to really develop your ability to correctly read your opponents options and habits, and you can't get that by playing CPUs. Best of luck!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
ok so update on the tournament: i got whooped, hard! i couldve made it to winners bracket but there were no seeds, just random matchups, so i played against some really good marths. kinda a waste of 15 bucks. but at the same time, i know im helping keep smash alive in my town, and now i know how good ill have to be if i wanna compete.

i will become the pokemon master.
Man though if you're just starting now you've got a long way to go. Most of the good low tier players only have a chance because they've been using those characters since like 2005 lol.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
ANNOUCEMENT: Taj has switched his main to Yoshi...:) and I have switched my main to Mewtwo...

Taj is teaching me Mewtwo (again) lol..
And I am teaching Taj Yoshi...

then we will have an epic MM, to decide who is the better teacher/player with their character!!

sooo, how would that work? If taj beats me with Yoshi, and Im mewtwo... does that prove that I'm the better teacher, since I taught Taj Yoshi? or since Taj won, is he the victor???? same goes for the latter...

Something to think about... :p

oh and get hype!

Miss you Tony <3

EDIT: Sup shadowspear, sup Mewtwo boards... ahh Mewtwo..

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
the marth, falcon, and ganon MUs can dive under a tractor for all i care.

at least the spacies have to be really technical and Puff has to space it's nonexistant *** off to win.

marth just has to space (you can get in but it's annoying) with his giant sword

falcon runs around like a gay and gets super easy combos because mewtwo is fat as **** and his teleport is too slow to get him away from mr speedy effectivly. take him to a small stage and you die at like 70

and ganon is like marth, except each hit does a bajillion% damage. at least ganon is combo food if you get a hit

/rant

with all that out of the way, i might have a surprise down the road

:phone:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
reviewing footage from last night, i def have an upcoming release in store for the mewtwo boards in the way of entertainment

Galaxyblast II: Shadow Strike is a go

just a disclaimer, don't expect a video showing new technology that'll revolutionize gameplay or whatever. i'm shooting for entertainment ONLY, and i think i can at least deliver that. i will probably have it finished/released sometime in the next month or so

EDIT: hi vectorman! :awesome:

Sasquatch

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to smash forums
I really just found about competitive plays/tactics when I found an old YouTube clip of taj kicking butt with mewtwo
I've been practicing my wavedash, shffl, dash dance, DI etc. but when I play my friends, NONE of them do any of that....so while I'm trying to learn new tactics to make me better, I'm getting my butt kicked constantly cuz they just keep playing like they always have
I've tried lvl9 CPUs, and those are really easy to beat, but humans are a totally different story
My question is this: my mind games don't work on them because they don't suspect anything funky when I start wavedashing, and instead of getting a cautious, confused opponent, I get dodgerolled repeated on me so many times until I have to result to their tactics to pull out a win...in other words, their ignorance is making it hard for me to practice advanced tactics and improve, what do I do? Am I really just not good at these techniques/should they be working and I just truly suck?

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm new to smash forums
I really just found about competitive plays/tactics when I found an old YouTube clip of taj kicking butt with mewtwo
I've been practicing my wavedash, shffl, dash dance, DI etc. but when I play my friends, NONE of them do any of that....so while I'm trying to learn new tactics to make me better, I'm getting my butt kicked constantly cuz they just keep playing like they always have
I've tried lvl9 CPUs, and those are really easy to beat, but humans are a totally different story
My question is this: my mind games don't work on them because they don't suspect anything funky when I start wavedashing, and instead of getting a cautious, confused opponent, I get dodgerolled repeated on me so many times until I have to result to their tactics to pull out a win...in other words, their ignorance is making it hard for me to practice advanced tactics and improve, what do I do? Am I really just not good at these techniques/should they be working and I just truly suck?

1. You should use Advanced Techniques sparingly against casual players, because it's likely that they probably have no idea as to what you are doing and will try resort to their set habits of throwing out random Rolls, B-Specials and Smashes. (Ex. You start to Dashdance or Wavedash back and forth, looking for an opening to strike back and a casual Falcon player randomly decides to use Down-B to hit you.)

2. Do not practice against Lvl 9. CPU's at all. They generally make you develope really bad habits such as having Wack D.I., Poor Spacing, Predictability, ect. They also tend to D.I. your attacks and combos really badly, as well as Powershield any and everything you throw at them consistantly.

3. Practice Tech-Skill on your own time, not while playing against other players. When you're in a match, you should put majority of your focus into the actual match itself. Mastery of Tech-Skill will eventually come into play as you continue to practice and progress overall.

-$^

Sasquatch

Smash Rookie
Thank you shadow spear, but another problem arises; i have no advanced players to play against....and I can go Into training mode all I want and try to practice shffl and wavedash, but it's not anything compared to facing a real advanced player....is there somewhere where I can find places in my area to train in melee or only tournaments that I have to
1) pay to get in and
2) get my butt kicked so easily I don't get any better

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well i would say to look in the regional zones area of these forums, see if anyone is willing to train you/let you play with thier crew, last thing i heard cali is one of the most active states

and whether you conciously realize it or not, you're learning even when you get beaten badly. gotta lose to get better

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
Thank you shadow spear, but another problem arises; i have no advanced players to play against....and I can go Into training mode all I want and try to practice shffl and wavedash, but it's not anything compared to facing a real advanced player....is there somewhere where I can find places in my area to train in melee or only tournaments that I have to
1) pay to get in and
2) get my butt kicked so easily I don't get any better
My advice to you would be to use Smashboards to your advantage and try reach out to other players within your area of region.

Also in the future, try not to take losing as: Wow, I just got my *** whooped... But instead, try to take it as a learning experience. Constantly ask yourself after every match: What could I be doing differently to increase my ability to defeat my opponent?

-$^

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man, but how much better do you get when they beat you THAT badly ;) haha
That just means you have ****loads they can teach you. Ask for advice, and keep practicing. You're in a totally stacked area, you better take advantage of it.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hey guys, I'm planning on going purely Mewtwo at the next tournament (this saturday) except for certain MUs in which I prefer Ganondorf.

Anyway, I have a few questions: What's the best way to get off the ledge as Mewtwo? It's something I have a lot of trouble with :(

What should I do to get back to the stage when above my opponent? What I used to do was just fall with Nair but that never really worked.

Last questions, what can each character use to punish Confusion without us being able to shield it? Is there a list somewhere?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Hey guys, I'm planning on going purely Mewtwo at the next tournament (this saturday) except for certain MUs in which I prefer Ganondorf.

Anyway, I have a few questions: What's the best way to get off the ledge as Mewtwo? It's something I have a lot of trouble with :(

What should I do to get back to the stage when above my opponent? What I used to do was just fall with Nair but that never really worked.

Last questions, what can each character use to punish Confusion without us being able to shield it? Is there a list somewhere?
If they're close to the ledge, drop from ledge and teleport to stage or platform with landing lag. If they're toward the center of the stage or are trying to cover the space between center and the ledge, then drop down > double jump > air doge onto stage near ledge is better. Being able to stall with teleport until they commit to one side or the other is the best thing to do.

When coming back from high above you can usually just move toward the ledge and if they over commit you can teleport the opposite side. If you have your double jump, then you can fall toward them > double jump > then delayed cancel it into neutral air to throw off their timing. Otherwise just use your horizontal mobility to pick a side and get to the ledge.

Pretty much every character in the game can back air you out of confusion before you can shield it. Most people don't know or aren't used to doing it though. Just don't over use it in friendlies.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Thanks for the answers! I have one more question, if I'm on the ledge on Battlefield (I think you know where this is going ;)) and the opponent is close enough is it worth it to pull them through the stage? And are there any characters that can survive that on reaction? I would think Peach and Jiggs probably could, but are there any others?

strawhats

Smash Master
hey Taj have u ever played mango's/hbox's jigglypuff before and how do u feel about the m2 vs jiggz MU in general. Just curious is all?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
hey Taj have u ever played mango's/hbox's jigglypuff before and how do u feel about the m2 vs jiggz MU in general. Just curious is all?
I haven't played Hbox in a full match at all. I played him for one stock at Apex 2010. That was all the info I needed to know. His style will completely crush me if I try to play him straight up. I could POTENTIALLY win by timeout but it would take infinitely more concentration from my part than his, and his focus is already godlike.

The matchup is pretty bad for Mewtwo, definitely his worst out of all of the floaties. Mewtwo can only win if the Jiggs is King/Mango style where you can effectively punish cross up attempts and space against something other than back air and get more grab opportunities because of how they like to advance.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
reviewing footage from last night, i def have an upcoming release in store for the mewtwo boards in the way of entertainment

Galaxyblast II: Shadow Strike is a go

just a disclaimer, don't expect a video showing new technology that'll revolutionize gameplay or whatever. i'm shooting for entertainment ONLY, and i think i can at least deliver that. i will probably have it finished/released sometime in the next month or so

EDIT: hi vectorman! :awesome:

is anyone even remotely interested in this? :(

i might have a release date very soon, gonna only post it for the mewtwo boards. tho if the rest of you think it good enough i'll make it more public

Top Bottom