• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Regional Ratings - Last Updates: MK-Legal: Oct 1st | MK-Banned: Nov 15th

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I actually love KIDs idea, it would be a simple little switch that would fix a lot of problems. If there were a reputation system on these boards I'd give kid a +1. ;)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just a page so he can copy paste the images over for mains and such

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't see much reason to change anything considering what is currently presented is already a very accurate picture of things and any change made would be met with similar problems.

Gnes won more money in 2010 than any other player. When you judge success that is a pretty huge factor in my opinion. That match Gnes had with Tyrant had a $5,000 difference. Think about that.

Most of the complaining is coming from the same players who have been complaining since the list came out roughly a year ago, simply because they don't like seeing their rank go up or down as their success fluctuates. To them the list will never be accurate because of [insert john]. Unfortunately, this is an inherent flaw with any list (view all the boo-hooing that happens each year when the March Madness seeds are put out and some seeds are odd, not to mention bubble teams not making it in). The question therefore is what is the best factors. Eventually I'd like to see something like an ELO system used but we are still to far away from that (should make some big progress this year though). This is a great inter-mediate step.

The most important thing about this ranking though is that it ranks everyone who enters a tournament.

Finally: Ally would be #2 right now had he actually managed to defeat Gnes at MLG Dallas (that's right, they played!). He was in a position to secure a higher payout and position, and when it was on the line, the biggest money ever at a Smash event, he lost to Gnes, and now Gnes finds himself ranked over him. I don't see to much hypocrisy here. Ally is probably more consistent than Gnes, but that tournament alone showed who was the most clutch. It is hard to weigh the two against each other. Consider though that in 2007 the Patriots (18-0) met with the New York Giants (14-6). The Patriots, despite being more consistent and even having had previously beaten the Giants that season, lost. When it came time to be clutch-they were anything but. The Giants were the #1 ranked team at the end of the season, regardless of how much more consistent the Patriots were, because once a year a tournament comes along where everything is on the line. For 2010, that tournament was MLG Dallas (and frankly the only people who could have a qualm are ADHD and M2K because they were barred from the event-but everyone is aware that occurred and likely factors that in when they see their position).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sinister Slush got this, he's one spot away from top 5%, which would put 5 yoshi mains in top 5%.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
Finally: Ally would be #2 right now had he actually managed to defeat Gnes at MLG Dallas (that's right, they played!). He was in a position to secure a higher payout and position, and when it was on the line, the biggest money ever at a Smash event, he lost to Gnes, and now Gnes finds himself ranked over him. I don't see to much hypocrisy here. Ally is probably more consistent than Gnes, but that tournament alone showed who was the most clutch. It is hard to weigh the two against each other. Consider though that in 2007 the Patriots (18-0) met with the New York Giants (14-6). The Patriots, despite being more consistent and even having had previously beaten the Giants that season, lost. When it came time to be clutch-they were anything but. The Giants were the #1 ranked team at the end of the season, regardless of how much more consistent the Patriots were, because once a year a tournament comes along where everything is on the line. For 2010, that tournament was MLG Dallas (and frankly the only people who could have a qualm are ADHD and M2K because they were barred from the event-but everyone is aware that occurred and likely factors that in when they see their position).
But unlike the super bowl, there isn't a MLG every year.

Probably, it was the one and only brawl tournament where the winner received a 12.5k check, and it's unlikely to happen in the future.

So the fact that no other player could ever gain so many points for a single tournament again, makes that a little unfair IMO.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But unlike the super bowl, there isn't a MLG every year.

Probably, it was the one and only brawl tournament where the winner received a 12.5k check, and it's unlikely to happen in the future.

So the fact that no other player could ever gain so many points for a single tournament again, makes that a little unfair IMO.
Rajam scales events with time. More importantly, right now, it is still the most important event and rightfully so. We are only 4 months removed from Brawl super bowl. There is no reason to be complaining about its weigh and effect on rankings especially considering Jan-Mar tournaments haven't even been factored in.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
People are dumb for complaining. People calculated this whole list it didnt go by any bias system what so ever. People that are complaining are the ones that are imputing bias just based on how they think things should be. Not gunna lie there are some players that may seem out of place due to obvoiusness, but its been calculated, thats where they belong due to thier record. Thats completely fair. Its down right impossible to get a perfect list of ranks by skill. A point system calculated based on tourny placings is by far the most fair system that has been come up with. It would be nice for a group to come up with a perfected system overall, but I do not see that ever happening. For now use the list as motivation and use the time you have for complaining for your own improvement. Trust me, you will be one smart cookie

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sinister Slush got this, he's one spot away from top 5%, which would put 5 yoshi mains in top 5%.
What do you mean top 5%? The 250 people, and myself sitting at 251? Not sure what you mean, but I downloaded the detailed Ranking, Still can't see it cause of the file being too big. So simple answer is needed.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Rajam, you have some players from LA listed twice. I'll help you out.

Hyro:
152. Hyro 399.34
259. flyro 180.28 (he used this name for MLG)

Freddy:
1280. Freddy 5.38
4863. Lelu -46.93 (again, MLG name)

Turazrok:
1052. Turazrok 10.95
3426. Wiki -4.31 (random alter alias)

Snag:
1235. Stag 6.27 (random alter alias)
3979. Snag -7.70

That's all I've found so far.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Rajam, you have some players from LA listed twice. I'll help you out.

Hyro:
152. Hyro 399.34
259. flyro 180.28 (he used this name for MLG)

Freddy:
1280. Freddy 5.38
4863. Lelu -46.93 (again, MLG name)

Turazrok:
1052. Turazrok 10.95
3426. Wiki -4.31 (random alter alias)

Snag:
1235. Stag 6.27 (random alter alias)
3979. Snag -7.70

That's all I've found so far.
Thanks a lot :)

Does someone know who are Elemental, error13, and SlovenlyTunic (they all entered MLG Dallas with those names), and which character(s) do they use?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What do you mean top 5%? The 250 people, and myself sitting at 251? Not sure what you mean, but I downloaded the detailed Ranking, Still can't see it cause of the file being too big. So simple answer is needed.

Yep, you're #251 lol

@Rajam: I belive I noticed one or two like that for Utah's players, but I'll check to make sure.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Ensis = Mjg

The dude who got like 15th?

Crazy how he got boosted over me when this was the update where i managed to beat M2K at VC9 i think?. But ahh well.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ everyone whos getting salty, note the date in the title of the thread, and contrast that with todays date, and your tourney performance in the interim.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There should be a money factor. The players played out the tournament as if they were going to receive money, so it's not like people were sandbagging or anything.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But they were never given an exact amount on how much the payout would be.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Also (solo) is (187) but he goes by Solo now so when entering him in the system please change his name :)
Solo used to play MK rob and be called kirbycpok?
EDIT:nvm i understand what you are saying he used to play the name 187 i get it

Top Bottom