• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Regional Ratings - Last Updates: MK-Legal: Oct 1st | MK-Banned: Nov 15th

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This isn't dumb at all and does nothing negative. There is nothing wrong with collecting information and this does nothing but increase tournament attendance and frequency. It doesn't matter how accurate it actually is, the fact that it uses a formula and isn't based off opinions makes it so that flame wars and arguing won't happen. This doesn't have to mean anything to anyone, if you don't like it then don't read it. Saying it's dumb is bad though because I guarantee this thread alone does more to increase tournament frequency than 99% of things on smashboards. More tournaments with more players = the best thing that can happen to smash pretty much.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
This isn't dumb at all and does nothing negative. There is nothing wrong with collecting information and this does nothing but increase tournament attendance and frequency. It doesn't matter how accurate it actually is, the fact that it uses a formula and isn't based off opinions makes it so that flame wars and arguing won't happen. This doesn't have to mean anything to anyone, if you don't like it then don't read it. Saying it's dumb is bad though because I guarantee this thread alone does more to increase tournament frequency than 99% of things on smashboards. More tournaments with more players = the best thing that can happen to smash pretty much.

dont see how this ranking thing has anything to do with more tourneys. AKA useless. but w-e lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
not gonna lie, im contemplating going to a tourney next weekend that I wasnt planning on because of this list.

and as for the EC thing, i guess we just need to get more pot fillers...

and if people are that upset that gnes is so high, yall shouldnt have let him win (did he win that tourney? its been so long I dont remember) Dallas to begin with.

either that, or you could just wait for rajam to catch this thing up with the last 2 months. its really not a big deal.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
So Rajam put a lot of points behind the MLG events. X and Espy moved up 65 spots to top 15. I'm just saying they had one good showing. Razer, and some other should be ahead of them.

I bet it will change after Pound and Whobo are added. Glad to see a new #2, though. Diddy ****...

And good stuff to Rajam regardless of what I think. He puts a lot of work into this, and it's good for the community. Stop trolling trolls.

Sandbag00

Smash Apprentice
The problem I have about this system is that it aimed for accuracy instead of simplicity.

The top 10 list is about accurate, but further down the list, it is not, and it's more and more confusing.

I agree now that a complete and total overhaul of this approach is not the best way. Instead, this should be simplified somewhat, that the top players say, the TOP 25 have a better chance of staying there, even if they don't play as many tournaments.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I haven't played in Months, and I'm 200 something??

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as long as i now have something quantifiable to give to X meatriders to say that hes not the best thing to happen to sonic since knuckles, im ok with it.

Vega4

Smash Ace
The only way to get a good rank witout money being the main factor is giving points to tournaments. It would be like: 2000 points for nationals champions, 1000 for big regionals champions, 500 for small regionals champions, 200 for unknown tournaments champions,... or something like that.
I think that would be a good system, and it would work in a similar way to TENIS ranking...
With this method, every MLG in last year would have given the same points...

For example: In nationals:
1st place: 2000 points
2nd place: 1000 points (or 1200, whatever you decide to set in rules)
3rd place: 500 points

I say that it would work like Tenis because, if a player wanna be in a better position, he would have to go to more tournaments, but some tournaments give more points than others. Logically, national tournaments have a bigger pot than regionals, but the good thing about this method is that all national gives that same points (no matter if ones gives more money than others)...
This also makes easier to update the ranking...

The only problem with this would be the discusion of wich tournaments would be ranked as nationals, which ones as big regionals, and all that...

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
The only way to get a good rank witout money being the main factor is giving points to tournaments. It would be like: 2000 points for nationals champions, 1000 for big regionals champions, 500 for small regionals champions, 200 for unknown tournaments champions,... or something like that.
I think that would be a good system, and it would work in a similar way to TENIS ranking...
With this method, every MLG in last year would have given the same points...

For example: In nationals:
1st place: 2000 points
2nd place: 1000 points (or 1200, whatever you decide to set in rules)
3rd place: 500 points

I say that it would work like Tenis because, if a player wanna be in a better position, he would have to go to more tournaments, but some tournaments give more points than others. Logically, national tournaments have a bigger pot than regionals, but the good thing about this method is that all national gives that same points (no matter if ones gives more money than others)...
This also makes easier to update the ranking...

The only problem with this would be the discusion of wich tournaments would be ranked as nationals, which ones as big regionals, and all that...
but the ranking already takes this into account...the payouts and number of players are factors in the equation that spits out the number of points each person gets
the thing with mlg is that, with a pot size that's far and away way huger than any other tournament, the point totals are multiplied by a much higher number

For MLG Dallas:
sqrt(35k/10/182) = 4.4x
For Pound V:
sqrt(2266/10/151) = 1.2x

So basically if MLG Dallas and Pound V had the same amount of entrants, on the sheer difference in prize money alone MLG would still be worth 3.6x as much as Pound...when you factor in the difference in entrants it just goes up from there

the difference between this system and your suggestion is that this is much less arbitrary and takes into account more variables overall

Vega4

Smash Ace
@MK26
You are right, but the "Tenis Type" point system is easier and won't have "big pot" problems like Dallas. With that pot and the actual system, is like Gnes had won 3 or 4 national tournaments...

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
This is the second time these guys messed up. I main :pit:/:rob: not :pit:/:rob:/:zerosuitsamus:

at least it wasnt as bad as last time where it was saying i was the best peach lol

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
@MK26
You are right, but the "Tenis Type" point system is easier and won't have "big pot" problems like Dallas. With that pot and the actual system, is like Gnes had won 3 or 4 national tournaments...
thats a good point...a very good point
the thing is that the only place where we're getting these big pot problems is dallas, whereas an arbitrary system would have comments like "my tourney is a regional, not a local" "but it only had 40 people" "but most of those people were oos" and other inane arguments like that
and maybe different regions consider different numbers of people to be a certain description...regardless of whether or not you set clear guidelines, youll look biased/just plain wrong
at least this way its cut and dry
if anything rajam could devalue mlg dallas, but to scrap the system because of one outlier? thats just foolish

Vega4

Smash Ace
I'm just proposing that system because players (big players like Ally,...) are complaining about current "money based" system...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
allys just whining because the list says gnes is better than him and hes salty, who cares? I dont know anyone that previously believed that ally was the better player, saw this list, then changed their mind. the clear consensus is that ally is still the better player. to scrap a mostly solid system and list because of one dudes bawwing about something that nobody really believes is just stupid.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I'm considering reducing the money factor an important amount, or removing it at all, though I still think money is kinda an important factor, for avoiding sandbagging or people not taking tournaments seriously overall (tournaments without payouts still wouldn't count). I'll run some test for the next update so I'll let you know the decision about this.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I'm considering reducing the money factor an important amount, or removing it at all, though I still think money is kinda an important factor, for avoiding sandbagging or people not taking tournaments seriously overall (tournaments without payouts still wouldn't count). I'll run some test for the next update so I'll let you know the decision about this.
The money factor is a good thing. My niglet rumble and nub academy tourneys should not have the same point scale as a local that pulls 19 players and charges a $5 fee. i only charge a 2-3$ fee and i will not advertise it past my scene of players.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
The money factor is a good thing. My niglet rumble and nub academy tourneys should not have the same point scale as a local that pulls 19 players and charges a $5 fee. i only charge a 2-3$ fee and i will not advertise it past my scene of players.
In a sense you're right. However, there are still issues with the money system. Let's compare APEX 2010 to MLG Dallas. DEHF and Gnes attended both tourneys. DEHF won APEX, beating many top players including M2K, Brood, Gnes, and Atomsk, . Gnes won MLG Dallas, beat many top players including, Ally, ESAM, Tyrant, and Fatal.

However, the insane amount of money won by Gnes gave him a much bigger boost than Apex gave for DEHF. That, in a sense, is what Ally is talking about. Both tourneys had the same level of play but one was rewarded more due to money.

While I don't have a problem with the list, I do see where he's coming from.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
usually the money factor is added to these tournaments for a good reason. If I have a big scene and my locals have 30 people, and i charge 5 dollars a head, that shouldnt mean as much as a smaller region that has a tourney and manages to get people from 2 -3 other regions to show up for a 30 person tourney thats charging 10 bux a head. because your assuming that if it cost more money to get in, than more skilled player will show up because theres going to be a bigger pot.

to my knowledge, the mlg tournaments are the only tournaments that were sponsered and payed out past just the combined entry fees of everyone that showed up. So what I think you should do, is just find out what the entry fee for that tourney was and treat it as if it wasnt sponsered and pretend that they only payed out the combined entry fees of all the people at the tourney. apply those number into the system and just apply the points that way.

The system you use I like alot and I dont think it should be so heavily altered because mlg decided to throw a bunch of extra money at one tourney.

Top Bottom