• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Strife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
If I had Project M and Melee in my face and I have a choice to play either, I would choose melee. Why? Because melee just has that feel that makes playing it x10 more epic. No matter how hard you try, you will not be able to reproduce that feel because every game has their own style.. just like every player has their own style as well. When someone tries to copy another top player, you will never be able to breakthrough that way.

The argument that any fighting game is superior or inferior from one another is a stupid argument. Do you honestly think the people that play ST are silly when they could be playing SSF4? Let people play what they want. Is chocolate more superior than vanilla? No it's not, it depends on your taste. People play Brawl just like they play Melee.. Melee is not superior, it's preference.

Edit: Fyi, I played Brawl+ way more than I did project M.. I don't need a 2nd melee but that's my own preference. If Smash 4, ends up **** then I'll simply not play it.. but if it's interesting in it's own way then I'll play it to the end.

Perhaps you are right, I was in the wrong saying people who stay to play Melee are being silly. I take that back. I just get frustrated when Melee veterans think there is no way possible that Project M can live up to Melee without giving it a chance or a second thought.

That said, how do you know that Project M can't reproduce the same feel that Melee had? What feel? Sound can be changed. Physics can be changed and are damn near perfect. Characters can be changed. Stages can be changed. There isn't much that couldn't be exactly like Melee if they wanted it to be.

My post was mainly referring to people who simply disregard/refuse to play Project M because it will never be like Melee, which I simply think isn't true. If you would rather play Melee, that is your preference.

That said, do you honestly believe that Melee has absolutely no problems that given the opportunity you would like to see...changed? Because if that is honestly your opinion then you are welcome to it.

The fact of the matter is, no game is without flaws. If Project M can take Melee and polish it, why not let them try and why not give it a shot when it's finished?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I think they're going to call the next one Super Smash Brothers Donnybrook.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
How sick is it gonna be for that first week of Smash 4's release learning all the new stuff and playing a new game...

... then realizing it sucks compared to Melee and dropping it ; _ ;

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
How sick is it gonna be for that first week of Smash 4's release learning all the new stuff and playing a new game...

Don't jump to conclusions yet. We don't know if it'll be a second Brawl.

But it's not going to suck. Strife is going to combine 3 parts of the Smash community into 1 big part of the whole community. Melee players will convert, Brawl players will convert, and Strife will bring out new hardcore Smash fans who haven't entered the tournament scene yet. Brawl did the same thing and its scene back in the glory days was massive. Sakurai isn't part of HAL. It's not going to be intentionally ruined for competitive play. Nintendo has been learning when to add the difficultly in their games. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is be a good example of that

Melee isn't as good of a game as you think it is. And there's far more to depth in a game than ability

rhan

Smash Hero
You don't know anything.. You can't say a game is going to be good or a "combination" without knowing ANYTHING about it.

rhan

Smash Hero
Everyone here's going to expect it to be bad for obvious reasons. There's no helping that. The only way people will change their minds is when they see improvements.

Right now. It's an obvious P.O.S.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I never compared melee to brawl. It's just when I learned that Brawl mechanics were not suitable with my style of play, it repulsed me. It focuses way too much on defensive play.. constantly attacking is generally not very good and also Ganon sucked balls too.. also Ike wasn't very good either. I didn't feel like putting hours on end to improve in this game if I don't love it, ya know? =P

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I never compared melee to brawl. It's just when I learned that Brawl mechanics were not suitable with my style of play, it repulsed me. It focuses way too much on defensive play.. constantly attacking is generally not very good and also Ganon sucked balls too.. also Ike wasn't very good either. I didn't feel like putting hours on end to improve in this game if I don't love it, ya know? =P
If you managed to play Brawl and not compare it to Melee, then I have a great respect for you. That takes a lot of mind power.

That said, the game plays defensively because generally doing anything is a huge risk, and you have wayyyy less options after attacks then in Melee.

I suppose you are somewhat correct when you say that fighting game preference is nothing but opinion, but I've always felt that fighting games that have more options and room for creativity are more often then not more balanced by default due to these options. It's just the Brawl/Melee comparison is a no brainer to me. *shrugs* Oh well.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If you managed to play Brawl and not compare it to Melee, then I have a great respect for you. That takes a lot of mind power.

That said, the game plays defensively because generally doing anything is a huge risk, and you have wayyyy less options after attacks then in Melee.

I suppose you are somewhat correct when you say that fighting game preference is nothing but opinion, but I've always felt that fighting games that have more options and room for creativity are more often then not more balanced by default due to these options. It's just the Brawl/Melee comparison is a no brainer to me. *shrugs* Oh well.
Well I gave Brawl a good enough chance to base a good opinion on it, at least for my tastes. I played it for a year I think. I like it when you can actually overwhelm the other by doing the right things a lot but there weren't many garantees in that game. Ya maybe I don't know everything about it but I played it since the beginning and the mechanics are obviously apparent. As for P:M.. well I'm going to MM Jcaesar and see how the game developed at Zenith.. I'm sure I'll find time to do it.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Well I gave Brawl a good enough chance to base a good opinion on it, at least for my tastes. I played it for a year I think. I like it when you can actually overwhelm the other by doing the right things a lot but there weren't many garantees in that game. Ya maybe I don't know everything about it but I played it since the beginning and the mechanics are obviously apparent. As for P:M.. well I'm going to MM Jcaesar and see how the game developed at Zenith.. I'm sure I'll find time to do it.
Word. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about Project M Ganon when you try it.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
The "Strife" looks shoop'd/carried over from Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell or something. Someone should investigate that. I'm too lazy to care whether this is real or not. Melee is the ladeh for me.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Don't jump to conclusions yet. We don't know if it'll be a second Brawl.
Well judging from Sakurai's "Melee is too hard" comments (hell, he even said the next Smash probably wouldn't be like Melee), I think it's safe to assume that the next Smash game will be more like Brawl than Melee :(

Our only hope at this point is if Sakurai isn't working on the game. Which is possible, since he's probably preoccupied with Kid Icarus right now. However, I have a feeling Iwata is going to walk on stage at E3 and be all like "I've managed to convince Sakurai to make another Smash Bros game *laughs* ".

Best case scenario, they hand Smash over to Capcom :awesome:

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.

That's what I did with Brawl.. lol
Yep, pretty much same here.

That thing is really fake too lol.

I pray to god SSB4 is good, but I'm not getting hype for it like I did Brawl.

Just in case it also turns out badly.

Also you can tell that it is shopped, the copyright stuff in the middle is dead straight, where as the Nintendo and HAL logo is slightly angled/slanted, which makes no sense if the shot was taken at an angle like that.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I see good and bad news here: The good is that I don't see "SORA" anywhere in the picture. The bad is that it's probably fake and it may suck if it isn't.

........And the ugly is the Tron colors.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
guys the pic is definitely fake lol...

But I still think we're gonna get a teaser for Smash 4 at E3. Nintendo has to get as much hype as possible for Cafe, and what says "Our new online system is gonna be AWESOME" more than a new Smash Bros?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
You do realize that Melee's balance was a fluke? The game was rushed out like crazy. There could have easily been infinites galore, wavedashing could have broken the game, etc.

LLDL

Smash Hero
guys the pic is definitely fake lol...

But I still think we're gonna get a teaser for Smash 4 at E3. Nintendo has to get as much hype as possible for Cafe, and what says "Our new online system is gonna be AWESOME" more than a new Smash Bros?
Lol, people won't automatically think that based on the last smash game's online system.

Jonas

Smash Champion
You do realize that Melee's balance was a fluke? The game was rushed out like crazy. There could have easily been infinites galore, wavedashing could have broken the game, etc.
On the contrary, Sakurai actually took great care to make sure that everything in the game worked as intended. He himself described how ridiculous his work weeks were during development and how much he dedicated himself to the project.

He may not have planned every last minute detail of the metagame (because nobody can do that unless the game is shallow), but there's just no way the game could be considered "rushed."

With Brawl Sakurai just kind of relaxed more. I think the results show :troll:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Honestly, I wouldn't mind 4 being like Melee but just a little less technical. Say what you like, but there isn't just a techbarrier as a new player picking up Melee, it's a ****ing mountain range guarded by Dragons and Demons and all kinds of unimaginable horrors.

If they could keep the depth that makes Melee so great but make it more accessible to new players it'd be the best possible game ever.

Oh and if Ganon sucks in the next Smash I'm going to Japan to punch the devs in the face.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
With Brawl Sakurai just kind of relaxed more. I think the results show :troll:
Brawl was most definitely rushed. That hitstun drop is really too abnormal.

I've cited this example a gazillion times, but in Brawl hacks where there is more hitstun, you'll notice the CPU's actually do pre-programmed combos and follow up on their moves. They actually try to do that in normal Brawl but can't because of the low hitstun.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Brawl was most definitely rushed. That hitstun drop is really too abnormal.

I've cited this example a gazillion times, but in Brawl hacks where there is more hitstun, you'll notice the CPU's actually do pre-programmed combos and follow up on their moves. They actually try to do that in normal Brawl but can't because of the low hitstun.
Brawl has the same hitstun as melee, the problem is you can act out of it, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of having it.

And it'd be interesting to find out what direction Nintendo wants to take the smash series, if it's more Brawl, then no thanks, but if they want to try something new, it might be nice.

Considering the fact Nintendo feels they lost the "core" crowd with the Wii, they might take a more competitive, or not as casual, path.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Yet when they took five years for Brawl, there became a list of infinites, and other crap people find dumb other than MK.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually think the "act out of hitstun" was a late addition to the game. Just think: Had that last delay not happened, hitstun could have been functioned identically in Brawl.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I actually think the "act out of hitstun" was a late addition to the game. Just think: Had that last delay not happened, hitstun could have functioned identically to Brawl.
You meant "to Melee", or "in Brawl", right?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I irony is that Brawl was the one that turned out with Jab Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom