• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
With that, we are now done with stage submissions! We added a lot previously so that’s why we were a bit smaller in regards to previous Directs…

With that…our Direct is completed!!!

What’s next?

I think it’s time to give one more character a fighting chance to appear.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
With that, we are now done with stage submissions! We added a lot previously so that’s why we were a bit smaller in regards to previous Directs…

What’s next?

Bloody well called it! Fighter 100 is Job 200!

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

What’s next?

Wait, are we done for the base roster characters? Thought we had one more? Or is this a bonus fighter we discussed a while ago

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #200: Submit a Third Party Fighting Game Character

Within Smash Ultimate and partially Smash 4, there was a trend of the final portions of the roster being dedicated to fighting game characters. Ryu, Ken, Terry, and Kazuya all carry this trend and we are carrying this forward into Infinite!

We will be submitting a third party fighting game character. Now, to lay down some rules…

It must be from a Japanese company. We have two western reps. That’s realistically plenty for the base roster. So, sorry, no Scorpion.

Capcom is out due to Resident Evil.

Virtua Fighter is out due to Dr. Eggman.

No female fighter.
We had three in a row already plus Oreo more before Crazy Dave. That’s far enough.

Samurai Shodown and Last Blade is out due to being visually similar to Takamaru. Same goes for Mitsurugi from SoulCalibur.

Series that aren’t typically a fighting game like Granblue Fantasy, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Castlevania Judgement is not allowed.

Characters that appear as a guest in a fighting game are not eligible. This includes 2B, Spawn, Yoda, For Honor Knight, etc.

So what does that leave us?

SNK Rep (Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters)
Namco Rep (Tekken, SoulCalibur)
ArcSys Rep (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue)
Konami (Bloody Roar)
Koei Tecmo (Dead or Alive)
French Bread (Melty Blood, Under Night)

If you have any questions, please ask our resident fighting games expert, Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto

Please provide the fighter, the company and series they are from, and why this character should be included.

We want to encourage people to discuss the potential characters while submissions are open.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Scorpion is obvious. I looked over the rules and realized a Western character is out. Sad. Amingo or Dan Hibiki would be hilarious, but Capcom is out. A SNK rep or a Tekken character would be neat. I was gonna suggest Filia, but she's western. I'm just gonna see how this plays out.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Scorpion or Amingo. Those are my two picks. (Not a submission, btw, just saying that those are my two mw for this job)
Isn’t Scorpion from Mortal Kombat and thus out of the running?

Anyway a more general question but are there any well-known male fighters from Dead or Alive or am I mixing it up with something else?

EDIT: not to be rambunctious at this late hour but booooo these rules suck

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm gonna question the no females thing. Well, what gives. Smash has had a plethora of male characters throughout its history. Nobody bats an eye when Ridley, Simon, Richter Chrom, Dark Samus (gender highly unidentified)and King K. Rool all get in before Isabelle. So... what gives that we treat girl characters as some sort of exception and a qualification that we should judge characters on?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Extra question: Is Ryu Hayabusa a “guest” in Dead or Alive for the sake of this job?

SoulCalibur could be fun but the whole Namco villainy fighting rep niche got thrown off a cliff with Kazuya so back to square one it is.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
HOW CAN I RELAAAAAAX WHEN IM BARFING GLIITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!?????? ITS PARADOX!!! A GLITTERDOX!!!!!!!!!
Job #200: Submit a Third Party Fighting Game Character

Within Smash Ultimate and partially Smash 4, there was a trend of the final portions of the roster being dedicated to fighting game characters. Ryu, Ken, Terry, and Kazuya all carry this trend and we are carrying this forward into Infinite!

We will be submitting a third party fighting game character. Now, to lay down some rules…

It must be from a Japanese company. We have two western reps. That’s realistically plenty for the base roster. So, sorry, no Scorpion.

Capcom is out due to Resident Evil.

Virtua Fighter is out due to Dr. Eggman.

No female fighter.
We had three in a row already plus Oreo more before Crazy Dave. That’s far enough.

Samurai Shodown and Last Blade is out due to being visually similar to Takamaru. Same goes for Mitsurugi from SoulCalibur.

Series that aren’t typically a fighting game like Granblue Fantasy, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Castlevania Judgement is not allowed.

Characters that appear as a guest in a fighting game are not eligible. This includes 2B, Spawn, Yoda, For Honor Knight, etc.

So what does that leave us?

SNK Rep (Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters)
Namco Rep (Tekken, SoulCalibur)
ArcSys Rep (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue)
Konami (Bloody Roar)
Koei Tecmo (Dead or Alive)
French Bread (Melty Blood, Under Night)

If you have any questions, please ask our resident fighting games expert, Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto

Please provide the fighter, the company and series they are from, and why this character should be included.

We want to encourage people to discuss the potential characters while submissions are open.
I'm gonna say my two cents: the rule that this character can't be female is extremely dumb.

That's all.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Let's be civil everyone. Venus and me had a good long chat in the Discord server and while he heavily disagreed, we each had reasonings for why we had our points of view. There is a reason for everything. Personally, I think said reason is arbitrarily limiting but nonetheless, it's not just "ew too many women turning Smash into SJW bull****." It's valid reasoning that I just happen to disagree on. Politics should try a little bit of that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Let's just get to the submitting...

Fighting Game Rep: Ragna the Bloodedge
Ragna_the_Bloodedge_%28Centralfiction%2C_Character_Select_Artwork%29.png

Ragna is the main protagonist of the Blazblue series by Arc System. Also known as "The Grim Reaper", he is a lone warrior who constantly finds himself at odds with the local authorities, including his adoptive brother, Jin. As you can see, Ragna happens to be an anime swordsman, but with a twist: his sword is actually pretty big and is more like a giant cleaver. But he also has another gimmick, in that he can drain the opponent's health to refuel his own. Unfortunately, to balance this out, Ragna has much less health of his own compared to the rest.

(Sorry if I got certain details wrong, it's been awhile since I played Blazblue).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I decided to not include females in our job based on three points:
1) We have Marin, Impa, Crazy Dave, Dixie Kong, Sami, and Ms Pac-Man. This was done to avoid allowing the end portion of the roster to become unbalanced in favor of one demographic. I would have done this with both male fighters, dog fighters, cars, etc. I took flak for not allowing Amaterasu after the Barista submission. Same thing with the Ashley and Medusa by not allowing a magic female fighter. This also includes genre as well. This is why one reason I would have preferred Joker and Hero being separated by Banjo or Terry

2) This was also done because we do have one more fighter who could also be potentially female. We would be working with, aside from Crazy Dave, 8 female fighters. I consider all possible outcomes after learning from the fact that was the mess that was both summoning characters plus our two Mech users.

3) I’m also trying to keep in mind our dlc roster. These last two characters will come right before them and I want it make sense conceptually, visually, and realistically. My job is s to steer our roster in a way that makes sense but also encourages creativity. Of all of our characters, I only really like Isaac. I actively hate Leon and Ms Pac-Man…but they are important to you all and to me, this community is like family. If you are happy with them, I’m happy with them. I want this project to be about you guys, not about what I want. I sometimes feel I need to steer us in a direction that makes sense and addresses everyone that needs to be addressed.

I’m not one to go back on my word. I’m a very stubborn person but a few outspoken members of our community voiced their concern. While I disagreed on it, I do understand what they mean.

FEMALES FIGHTERS ARE ELIGIBLE

That being said, I’m still not allowing western fighters or the above rules I outlined. This is a one time thing. I’m going to bed now

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
He shouldn't be considering it's set in the same universe.
Eh, that's kinda cheating, Ninja Gaiden predates DoA by more than a decade so his primary universe should be Ninja Gaiden first, it's like getting a rep for Tekken and you choose Akuma just because he is somehow canon to the story or choosing Akira for a SF rep just because Rival School takes place in the same universe.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 200

Ramlethal Valentine (Guilty Gear)

Ramlethal is a major character in Guilty Gear by Arc System Works.

Ramlethal would be a mid to long range fighter, she would be somewhat floaty and heavy and has some good physical moves she also 2 massive great swords that not only function like 2 large swords but can also shoot lasers and be thrown out dealing big damage.

Ramlethal would be a unique fighter that would represent this popular franchise

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Job 200: Heihachi Mishima
from Tekken

284379.jpg

From the Tekken series, Heihachi is no pushover. He is the father of the current Tekken character in Smash, Kazuya Mishima. He is just as ruthless and cunning as his son. He's shared the spot as a series main villain but unlike Kazuya, he was the villain in the very first Tekken and set the events of the future games to come. When Kazuya was a young boy, Heihachi threw him off of a cliff to prove his strength. Since Tekken 7 however, we learned that he had done so to test whether he had the devil gene inside of him passed down from his mother, Kazumi Mishima. Since then, throwing people off of cliffs has become something of a Mishima pastime. Heihachi also happens to be voiced by the Unsho Ishizuka whose last role before his death happening to be Incineroar in SSBU.

I'm pretty tired so I won't give a huge write-up for him but I've submitted him in the past. To be frank, I wanted to submit Heihachi because I wanted to figure out a way to adapt Tekken's multi-limb system but seeing as how Kazuya forgoes that, I've instead wanted to figure out something Sakurai rejected him in favor of Kazuya for. That thing being his specials.

Kazuya was chosen because his devil abilities would make his moveset more interesting and I given how all the command inputs were given to his normal attacks, that probably gave the DLC team some ease when it came to designing his, all things considered, simpler special moves. With that in mind, I'd like to be creative and think of what kind of attacks Heihachi could use to make him interesting as well as what his recovery would be given how he has no in-built wings to use.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have replaced my following song submissions:

Work it Out - Sonic R -> Back in Time - Sonic R
DK Arcade Medley (New) -> Aquatic Ambience
Yoshi's Island Zone -> Yoshi's Island Zone Stage Clear
Gaur Plain (New) -> You Will Know Our Names (Jazz Style)
Galaga Pac-Jam -> Tutorial (Pac-Pix)
SNES Classic Menu -> Stage 13 - Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru (Yes, I checked - this song is used in both, Yo! Noid and the original Japanese Ninja Hanamaru.)

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1635051081189.png

Asuka Kazama from Tekken

Asuka is one of the characters in the Tekken series, She is the cousin of Jin Kazama and she goes after Feng Wei who took down her father's dojo & has some grudge against him since then(the later games are her vs. a girl named Lili).

She uses combat attacks such as kicking and punching similar to Kazuya but without the Devil Gene. She wouldn't be the most interesting character to vote for a fighting but she is a female character coming from the fighting game scene which is one reason to have her in the game, the other is also cause i kinda like her attractively and i'm sorry for saying that I just wanted to say the truth.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job 200:

"Blood! Darkness! I shall drown Smash in both!"
1635051490659.png

Nightmare (Soul Calibur):

Hailing from the sister franchise of Tekken, Nightmare is an antagonist in the series and one of the most popular characters, up there with the likes of Ivy "The JUGgernaut" Valentine in terms of popularity. Wielding the giant sword that serves as the franchise's namesake, Nightmare uses hefty strikes, different stances, and dark soul-sucking magic to bolster his power. The fact that Tekken is in Smash Bros is already a bit of a foothold for Nightmare to make his debut, and since Soul Calibur generally follows the same rules as Tekken, it would make sense to give Nightmare a Kazuya-style control scheme. Imagine Cloud if he had Kazuya's diagonal inputs. That's not just a scary prospect. It's a nightmare.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Job 200: Merkava (Under Night In-Birth)
1635055024191.png

Who is Merkava? I have no idea. What I DO know is that someone made a really cool PM mod for him (it? them?). I would've submitted Nu-13, made by the same person, but someone already submitted Ragna so there's competition there.
He would need to be toned down... a bit... but his potential is evident from that trailer along. He's wildly different from every fighting game character in Smash right now.

Last edited:
Job 200:
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) (Arc System Works)

Sol Badguy, his real name is Frederick is a main protagonist character from Guilty Gear series and he is a Gear that was made by scientist, who turns Humans into Bio-Weapon Gears, who have power of Fighting.
He made those Gears like Sol to destroy other Gears that weren't used in War. Instead, Sol Badguy became the Bounty Hunter of the series. During his attacks, he uses his Sword/Blade-like Weapon, but it doesn't mean that he is Swordfighter.

His Playstyle: Rushdown
His moveset would be cool, with references from Guilty Gear series and some original Moves that would beat those Guys out of the Stage. He could have Command Inputs like Ryu, Ken, Terry and Kazuya in SSBU and he could have 1v1 Facing like Ryu in Smash, where he faces opponent in opposite direction like straight at enemy. His Main Unique Gimmick in his gameplay, which it could be Tension Meter. By engaging on Enemy, moving towards or attacking it, this causes the Meter to fill up. If the Meter is full, he can spend it on Roman Cancel or an Overdrive, which he has in His moveset. However, zoning and acting passively would cause Meter to go down, draining from the position to Zero, where it was, causing Negative Penalty.
He could be Mid-Lightweight character and he can Wall Jump like Mario.

I nominate my Boi Sol Badguy, because he could represent Guilty Gear and he could also represent Arc System Works in Smash, which it could be Iconic. He could be unique fighter due to Fighting Game status and semi-swordfighter status mixed. He is also highly Requested and very likely character who would join the Infinite's Roster. He is very popular in East (Japan, Asia and Australia) and West (Europe and Americas), so why he can't join the Battle on Fighting Platformer with his unique Artstyle that could appeal the Roster.

And without Guilty Gear, there won't be Skullgirls, BlazBlue, Under Night, Persona 4 Arena and other fighting games that were influenced by Guilty Gear.

His Stage could be Lars Canyon, which it could be Sol's Home Stage and it could be another Desert-themed stage in Smash after Gerudo Valley. His series have cool soundtrack that it could fit in Smash, even with Remixes, who would sound more catchy.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto Which of these games have quadrupedal fighters?
Well, Merkava (who has already been submitted by Peridot) is already somewhat of a quadrupedal fighter. The only one who's eligible for this prompt that comes to mind at the moment is Voldo from Soul Calibur. Giovanna from Guilty Gear Strive uses a spirit dog to fight, although she isn't quadrupedal herself, and Bedman from the prior Guilty Gear game is literally... on a bed, so maybe that counts as a quadruped?

And there's also Blitztank from Akatsuki Blitzkampf! Dunno if you'd count him under "quadrupedal", but just look him up and see for yourself lol (yes this is a real fighting game character). There's also Arakune from Blazblue, he is a literal pile of slime who isn't technically quadrupedal but I thought of mentioning him here either way.

Though there are characters who aren't eligible from this job, I can redirect you to Fighting Games that use other licensed properties, such like Iggy in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future, and Amatarasu from Okami in Marvel vs Capcom 3. There's also the entire roster of Them's Fighting Herds if you're into that, but that game is Western so it's not suitable for this job either.

Hopefully this has somewhat been of use.

Anyways I'll be posting my submission later, can't wait.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I do want to apologize for my behavior last night. Disagreeing with the thread’s direction is one thing, but I shouldn’t have done so by booing or saying that the thread is a buzzkill for it. I understand the reasons given for the outlawing of female characters for this one, even though I think the line-up of current fighting game characters trends a little towards buff men so the in-group variation could use a female touch (though of course variety can be achieved through more ways than that)

For the rest, I’m waiting for Robotto’s submission to be honest. I know quite little about fighting games or their characters.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are a list of videos showcasing how these fighters play as:

These are important as we will be looking directly into these in order to create our character once selected

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Secondly, I wanted to take some time to highlight our roster demographics as that was an issue previously…

Male
  1. Isaac
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Ocotling
  4. Waluigi
  5. Crash
  6. Barista
  7. Leon
  8. Takamaru
  9. Galacta Knight
  10. Grovyle
  11. DJ Octavio
  12. Officer Howard
  13. Dr. Eggman
  14. Crazy Dave
Female
  1. Octoling
  2. Stylist
  3. Ashley
  4. Medusa
  5. Jill
  6. Celebi
  7. Reimu Hakurei
  8. Officer Howard
  9. Marin
  10. Impa
  11. Dixie Kong
  12. Sami
  13. Ms. Pac-Man
Animals’ish
  1. Octoling
  2. Crash
  3. Barista
  4. Grovyle
  5. Celebi
  6. DJ Octavio
  7. Dixie Kong
Swordies
  1. Isaac
  2. Takamaru
  3. Galacta Knight
Melee Weapon Users
  1. Bandana Dee
  2. Medusa
  3. Officer Howard
  4. Impa
Melee Pugilists
  1. Waluigi
  2. Crash
  3. Grovyle & Celebi
  4. DJ Octavio
  5. Impa
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Ms. Pac-Man
Gunners/Projectilists
  1. Octoling
  2. Jill
  3. Leon
  4. DJ Octavio
  5. Reimu Hakurei
  6. Crazy Dave
  7. Sami
Summoners
  1. Dr. Eggman
  2. Barista (kinda)
  3. Crazy Dave
Largely Gimmick Based
  1. Stylist
  2. Barista
  3. Officer Howard
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Crazy Dave
Mech
  1. DJ Octavio
  2. Dr. Eggman
Third Party
  1. Crash
  2. Jill
  3. Leon
  4. Reimu Hakurei
  5. Crazy Dave
  6. Ms. Pac-Man

Western
  1. Crash
  2. Crazy Dave
  3. Dixie Kong (technically)

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
iori-mini-winpose (1).gif
Job 200
ezgif-1-09be69f6a7d8.gif

Iori Yagami The King of Fighters

Picture1.png

"Asobi wa owari da!"/"Playtime is over!"
Introduction – Who is this dude and where does he come from?
As many of you may know, Iori Yagami is a character from the highly acclaimed Fighting Game series: The King of Fighters. A series that has not only left its huge permanent mark on the Fighting Game genre in its whole, but is also still running to this day and experiencing a new resurgence of popularity. Iori himself originated from the 2nd game in the series, The King of Fighters ‘95, one of the games that Sakurai credits as the primary inspiration of the Super Smash Bros franchise.

In KoF ‘95 he started as part of the Rival Team, along with team members Billy Kane and Eiji Kisaragi, who got access to the KOF tournament by… stealing the invitation of the USA Sport Team. Anyways, ever since Iori’s inclusion, Team Rivals has been a reoccurring team in the series with a different set of characters most of the time. As the name implies, this team is created to act as rivals of the Hero Team, or against a set of specific characters. The team is composed, of the most part, of characters who are important to the current story arc or the series in general. In KoF ’95 all characters of Team Rivals served as the respective rival of a major SNK protagonist; Billy Kane hailing from the Fatal Fury franchise served as Terry Bogard’s rival, Eiji Kisaragi from Art of Fighting served as Ryo Sakazaki’s rival and Iori served as Kyo’s rival, who are both major characters made exclusively for the King of Fighters. And ever since that game, a hot-blooded rivalry has started to scorch the arcades…

466026-kofhead.jpg.png

The aforementioned Rival Team from KoF '95. With Eiji, Iori and Billy from left to right.

Though that's not to say that this was Iori's definitive team, his most reoccuring team has been that with Mature and Vice, who are 2 souls that have been haunting him ever since Iori murdered them in KoF '96 when he was possesed by Orochi's curse, the Riot of the Blood. They like to accompany him in KoF tournaments since they are not only binded to Iori, but also because they have great interest in the boy. As within Iori's veins runs the blood of Orochi, a deity both of the women serve.

Iori is the heir of one of three clans that sealed the legendary snake Orochi 1800 years ago, the two other clans being the Kusanagi clan and the other the Yata clan, His clan, just like Kyo’s clan, are wielders of pyrokinetic powers. Though in contemporary life, Iori, As the current heir of his clan, it is his job along with the other heirs, Kyo and Chizuru, to keep Orochi sealed. For those unaware, Orochi is one of the primary antagonists of the King of Fighters series. It is a godlike powerful being that can take on many forms and has appeared in many reincarnations throughout time, though within the King of Fighters games it uses the body of one their followers, a boy named Chris, as a shell and takes the appearance of a young white-haired man. Orochi serves Gaia, Mother Earth, by all costs. It shows no mercy to humans and plans to exact revenge on the human race for its sins performed to nature and Earth. So yeah, this series goes beyond the typical tournament arc trope, and keep in mind this is only somewhat a quick summary of the overarching plot of the franchise, the KoF story goes places lemme tell you.
466026-kofhead.jpg (1).png

Team Yagami, Iori's most reocurring Team. Vice, Iori and Mature from left to right.

But well, back to Iori. Let’s answer some crucial questions, shall we?
The King of Fighters? We already have Terry! What’s the difference?
As much as appearances would like to convince you that they’re one and the same, it isn’t really the case. You see SNK started their venture within the Fighting Game genre back 1991 with the first ever Fatal Fury, and then, after it, proceeded to make a prequel-series called Art of Fighting starring Ryo Sakazaki. They’ve made both of these series cross over in Fatal Fury Special through a so-called “Dream Match” between Ryo and Terry. A "Dream Match" refers to matches that have little or no canon story and are purely there for the sake of crossing over, like Smash! Even dead characters may return to fight for the delight of fans in these Dream Matches. This battle between Ryo and Terry in Fatal Fury Special was the first fighting game crossover ever, and thus they’ve decided to do more and largen the scope of series crossing over. And just like that the King of Fighters series has been born, which consists of SNK series like Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari and Psycho Soldier through characters and Metal Slug and Top Hunter through cameos and stages. Though most of the cast consists of original characters, and credit where credit is due, these characters are probably the most popular ones SNK has ever designed. And much like Smash Bros, the series has its own timeline. Just like how nothing in Smash is canon to the Mario Universe, Everything that happens in KoF is isolated within that universe. So yes, the King of Fighters would also require its own symbol, as putting the series under Fatal Fury is the same thing as putting the Kingdom Hearts series under Final Fantasy.

KingofFighterSymbol.png.png

A King of Fighters symbol made for Smash, taken from the iconic "F" you see in most KoF logos

And this is where Iori comes in, he is an original character designed to be Kyo’s rival all the way back in the King of Fighters ’95. Funnily enough, this is the specific game that Sakurai has credited as one of the inspirations of Smash Brothers, as the King of Fighters is a crossover game for SNK, just like how Smash Bros started out as a crossover game for Nintendo. Not only that, but several mechanics from Smash originated and are clearly inspired from this series,

kof94cast (1).png

the cast of the King of Fighters '94, the first game in the long-running series.

Now let's talk Gameplay, The King of Fighters is very fundamentally different from Fatal Fury. Fatal Fury moreso fights like Street Fighter 2 but with multiple lanes (well, in most games at least) and with a bigger emphasis on special and super moves (hence Terry’s GO! Mechanic in Smash) whereas the King of Fighters? Ooh boy, there’s a reason why most people credit this series as the true ancestor to the contemporary Anime Fighters like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. The King of Fighters series is mechanically quite complicated, as there is a bigger focus on jumping (to give you an idea, the games feature 4 different ways to jump: Hyper Hops, Normal Hops, Normal Jumps and Super Jumps), all characters also have a MAX Mode they can get into by sacrificing one or multiple stock of their super meter (called a "Stock Meter" in the KoF series), this is a mode where the character start glowing yellow and becomes stronger, special moves can be canceled into another move which allows longer lasting combos that would normally not be possible, and in some games the character’s Super Desperation Moves are locked behind MAX Mode. Talking about supers, another unique thing are the amount of supers KOF characters have, there are quite a lot. If the amount of stocks allows it, they would be able to perform Supers ranging from Desperation Moves to Super Desperation Moves all the way to Hidden Super Desperation Moves. So yeah, a KOF rep would bring tons of stuff over to the table, and depending how we go about it, we can put so many mechanics into one.

As Terry represents Fatal Fury and SNK’s first venture into the fighting game scene, having a proper KoF rep would represent SNK’s biggest series, the monolith known as the King of Fighters. One of the series that has inspired Sakurai to make Smash, the game we’re currently developing! This representative would fill in as our Fighting Game rep of this base game, and why not expand the SNK library in that case? And hey, all major third parties in Smash at the moment, safe for SNK, have two or more representatives (Except Disney, I guess). Hopefully I’ve been able to convince you on the idea of a KoF rep, but maybe you might have another important question.
Why not Kyo? Isn’t he the primary protagonist of the series?
True! Kyo is indeed the first and one of the primary protagonists of the King of Fighters series. Though that’s not to say that he’s the only protagonist of the series. To understand this, it’s crucial to give you a bit of insight as to how this series is built story-wise. As of right now, the King of Fighters consists of 4 sagas. Those being the Orochi Saga (’94-’98), NESTS Saga (’99-2002), Tales of Ash Saga (2003-XIII) and the current Saga which is still nameless as of yet (XIV - ???). Each and every saga has their own primary protagonist, or in some cases, multiple protagonists. The current Saga spearheads Shun’ei as its main protagonist, Tales of Ash had the titular Ash Crimson as its primary protagonist with Elizabeth arguably being a second Protagonist of that Saga, NESTS had the awesome and badass K’ (and if it were up to me and my bias alone, he would be the perfect KOF rep) and Kula, and the Orochi Saga had both Kyo and Iori.

The most notable KoF protagonists up until XIV. From left to right: Kyo, Iori, Ash, Kula, K'.

So yes, while Kyo is undoubtedly the face of the franchise, he’s definitely not alone. Because Kyo and Iori are the only protagonists, and also one of the few characters in general, who have appeared in every King of Fighters game ever since their inception. Though while Iori Yagami made his entrance in King of Fighters history in its second game, King of Fighters '95, he hasn't missed a single game ever since. If that isn’t enough to put these two characters as equals to you. Then let me present you the fact that very often, if not always, Iori is seen next to Kyo in promotional material even outside of their own Saga. Even with their positions replaced as protagonists, their faces are still there to be seen in the covers of recent KOF games. Well, outside of the NESTS ones that is, as SNK (& Eolith) were really pushing for K’ to be the next protagonist of the series.

So now that we’ve established that Kyo and Iori are of equal footing, why should we pick Iori above Kyo? Well, let me present some points.
  • He is a fan favorite: Both Kyo and Iori have always competed for the number 1 spot in official popularity polls, with one slightly edging out the other each time. Though a recent official poll for KOF XIV conducted by the community manager of SNK has revealed that Iori has beaten Kyo quite badly. With the former coming in fourth, and the latter being all the way at 11th
  • Sakurai clearly loves him: It’s no secret that the King of Fighters is a favorite of Sakurai. And it’s also no secret that Iori holds a soft spot for Sakurai as well. Remember this little quote (pictured below)? Honestly with Sakurai’s popular anecdote on KOF ’95 (the game where Iori debuted), he explicitly stated that he played the most as Ryo, but with KOF being a 3vs3 team-based fighter and with him fanboying over Iori, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was one of Sakurai’s mains as well. In Terry's trailer, he was the last one to miss the envelope, which could possibly mean he was the closest to getting in after Terry. So let's give him that sweet justice now.
Picture2.jpg
  • Left-Field Factor: SNK characters don’t really get taken seriously within the world of Smash speculation. Most people already see Terry as an all-encompassing SNK rep. But when people do consider other characters, the frontrunners have always been Nakoruru as a Samurai Shodown rep (too bad she has been disqualified due to the inclusion of Takamaru), another Fatal Fury rep in the form of Geese or Rock Howard, and Kyo as a KOF representative… and sometimes Shun’ei. Iori doesn’t really get brought up often, and when he does people mention his underdog status within the speculation scene, like this well written article from not-so-long-ago here. So yes, Iori would indeed be one way to shatter expectations, as SNK fans tend to say.
  • He is visually more interesting: Alright, I love Kyo a lot, he’s one of my favorite fictional characters ever. But as far as looks are concerned, the dude relatively looks like a normal High Schooler when put next to most SNK characters, and especially next to Iori. Western fans that might not be aware, might just dismiss him as another brawler boy, all the while Iori’s visual design invites you to know more of the character. Iori would surely stand out among the Asian-looking fighting game characters like Ryu and Kazuya and the American-inspired Terry and Ken. Iori’s design was a hit when it came out, and it still works today. There are also some designs to pick & choose from as alts.

Possible alternate costumes for Iori.
  • Morally ambiguous character? Hell yeah: Iori isn’t necessarily a villain, but he’s not a good guy either. He is moreso a Rival character, like Gary Oak or Meta Knight. You see, the dude hates Kyo a lot due to an ancestral grudge, and really wants him dead (or so he says, he’s most likely just exaggerating). Though if both Kyo and Iori have a common goal, which is defeating and sealing Orochi most of the time, he’s able to settle aside his differences and work with him. It does need a lot of convincing from Chizuru however. Just like when Kazuya entered the fray, having a morally ambiguous character is always a treat.​
Now that I hope you can see why putting in Iori over Kyo (or any other KoF character) makes sense, you might have another very important question...

So what are we gonna do with Terry and the KOF Stadium if Iori gets in?
There’s a quite simple answer for that. It’s fairly obvious the KoF Stadium does a more proper job representing the King of Fighters franchise than Fatal Fury. So I advise that instead of giving another KoF stage to Iori, we just give a Fatal Fury stage to Terry. Or else the man would quite literally be homeless. I’ve done a post on this not long ago and I don’t really want to repeat myself, or else this already long submission post would only be longer aaa, so here it is.

As for the music? Well, all Fatal Fury tracks (and mayybe the Art of Fighting ones too, given they’re canonically linked) would be under the Fatal Fury series. Whereas all the other SNK tracks would still be playable on the KOF Stadium, to reference the fact that it’s a crossover.

Talking about music. Even if only confined to KOF, the music library is straight up baller. Here are some of my favorites that haven’t made it in Smash yet. Granted most of these are Arranged tracks, which SNK don’t fully own (which is also the reason why you didn’t see them in Ultimate), but they serve as an amazing point of reference for hypothetical remixes. Yeah, I know, we already got tons of tracks, but there's just too much good stuff left untouched!

Last Words
I hope this was enough to convince you. This is a big post I know, but this dude deserves it. There's still tons of stuff I haven't delved into, but I don't really want this to get any longer. Although I do want to post the amazing lyrics of the KoF '98 intro.

It all began in '94, kept on rolling in '95, pieces were in place in '96, it came to an end in '97. Now, here it comes and here we go. KOF is here again. Nothing's gonna stop, its 1998.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom