• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Newcomer Leak: Euden
100001_01_r05_portrait.png

I know you're not going to believe me, but I don't care because I know I'm right, and that you're all gonna worship me as a Leak God once it gets confirmed.

• The next Smash Fighter is Euden, from that one Nintendo mobile game.
  • He's another generic anime swordfighter. Yay.
  • Dragons are somehow involved in his moveset. No idea how, but I bet it's just Corrin 2.0.
  • His stage is some lame traveling stage with some castle that appears in the game. Takes you to a blacksmith and some kind of floating island.
  • One of the Dragons is a new Raid Boss. Apparently, it was also a Raid Boss in Dragalia Lost, so this is a reference to that.
  • Comes with music from other mobile games, for some reason.
  • Don't worry, the next fighter is a third party, so they'll be WAY more interesting.

Did I do it right?

Stratos

Smash Ace
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

1625077467792.png

• All his moves are done with Zapper.
  • In his game the uniform changes color with a bottle that is revealed by defeated enemies and makes him withstand attacks.
  • Somewhere in the last, Mr. Stevenson holds a pistol.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Anonymous 0X/0X/XX(Thu)03:17:28 no.618627728

Big news! My trusted insider has infiltrated Nintendo HQ in Japan, here's the information that I got for the next fighter

It's Andy from Advance Wars, from snippet of his supposed reveal trailer where Mario gets trampled by one of his orange tank unit with him standing on top of it with the Reveal tag "Advances Forward"
Stage is based on the overworld map but more destructive, cameo are not included
Stage transition is present taking place on a giant ship near the shore
Fights similarly to Bowser Jr. By riding a mini-tank with multi function
Has a meter where you can fix and upgrade your tank and several units that he could spawn using his Down Special, Deploy
There's a scene where he rides a helicopter Snake using his Up Smash and act similarly to K Rool's propeller, most likely going to be his Up Special
Can fight solo once your tank destroyed with nothing but a wrench and a limited moveset
Final Smash involve a full on warfare with fighter hit with a barrage of bullet and explosive
Apparently there's going to be an echo fighter in the form of Jake from Dual Strike on the DS
The Infantry and Tank AT from Wii U/3DS will make a return along with fan-favorite character, Sami
Spirits include every character in the series.. sorta, from the choice of artwork sadly only for the Advance Wars game, so no toothbrush mustache guy if you somehow looking forward to that
Comes with 15 new music track
wacky ass dude called Black Hole Infantry will be our new Smash Dungeon enemy along with Sturm and his emo officer as a Raid Boss and Boss Sphere.. well, boss respectively
new Mii costume includes a... girl with a giant pencil and a yellow samurai as swordfighter, an emo dude with a sniper and a cowboy with a revolver as gunner and a big himbo who's probably another main character as Brawler
Don't know if this related to Andy or not but he says to put it anyway. Apparently Sakurai likes beef jerky... and DLC will be filled to the brim with 3rd party character but final reveal is going to be disappointing he says.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have removed one of my music tracks, "The World Revolving - Deltarune". In its place is "Game Boy Medley - Game Boy", a track I edited specifically for the thread. This track would be playable on:

• Dream Land GB (Duh)
  • Dream Land
  • Saffron City
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Pokémon Stadium 1 (but not 2)
  • Mushroomy Kingdom
  • Skyworld
  • Flat Zone X
  • Gamer
  • Koholint Island
  • All "Others" stages

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Impa

There will be 2 new fighters revealed at E3 for smash infinite. I will only be sharing 1 of them, I'm not confident that I can share the second without getting caught. If you're doubting my credibity, you should know that I am Sakurai's Cat my source is legit.

The new fighter will be Impa from The Legend of Zelda. She is a unique fighter, not a Sheik echo.

Her original Hyrule Warriors design is being used.

Aspects from both Hyrule Warriors games are present in her moveset.

She's a glass canon. Fast and hardhitting, but super light and easy to kill. Weighs about the same as Sheik

Mii Costumes include Marin, Pig Ganon, Dodongo, Ghirahim,

She's coming with a Lost Woods stage. I'm told it's a super weird gimmicky stage, but it's not an unplayable stage either...

A few tracks included are Solidus Cave, In the Greenwood, and Remnant of Twilight.

King Dodongo is a new boss. Explosive items will drop when you fight him, and you'll fight him the same as you normally do in Zelda games. Wait for him to inhale, throw an explosive, beat him up while he's down.

Lana, Marin, and the Wind Fish are new Assist Trophies. Lana does that cube attack where she kinda log rolls it, burying fighters she hits. Marin grants her summoner an aura that causes them to heal every time they do damage. The Wind Fish swoops down and slams into enemies, dealing damage.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will be closing submission in the next 2-4 hours. Depends when I can get some free time.

Yiptap

Smash Lord

Hey guys, it's UndertaleFan123456 here, and my friend has a cousin who works at Nintendo, or more specifically, the Smash team. His cousin told him the details of the new character, and my friend told me. Don't come doubting me and then tell people "Oh my gosh, UndertaleFan123456 is the best leaker ever, I believed him all along!!!!!" Anyway, now for the character.
  • Paper Mario from the Paper Mario series is the next Smash fighter. Toad was a close call, but in the end, Paper Mario was chosen for some reason. The tagline is "Paper Mario folds in!"
  • The only Paper Mario alts I can confirm are the emblems from TTYD and a Purple alt based on that one chapter with Dooplis in it.
  • Paper Mario's jab is identical to Isabelle's where he uses an eekhammer. Less spammable than Isabelle's, but deals more damage.
  • Paper Mario's neutral b has him kick a koopa shell forward.
  • Paper Mario's dash has him use the spin dash from the original Paper Mario game.
  • Paper Mario's grab has him use the 1,000 fold arms like a tether and he throws using Thoreau and some other partners.
  • Paper Mario's smash attacks have him use the hammer, though I'm not sure how.
  • Paper Mario's final smash has him use the Peach Beam
  • Dimentio is added as a raid-boss exclusive boss. He has two phases: his normal phase and his Super Dimentio phase.
  • Paper Mario's stage is the stage/theater from TTYD.
  • Paper Macho Goombas and Jr. Troopa are added as minibosses for Smash Dungeon. Dooplighosts are also added as enemies.
  • A hat based on Huey is added as a Mii costume hat.
  • To pay homage to the Mario and Luigi series, Cackeletta is added as a Mii brawler outfit.
  • King Olly is added as an assist trophy, but I don't know what he does.
All criticism will be blocked, and you won't be able to see my accurate leaks. So don't bother.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
This is a second rep for a series we've already had a newcomer for but given they represent a different side of the series I think it's justifiable

Wario Land.

Hey guys, it's UndertaleFan123456 here, and my friend has a cousin who works at Nintendo, or more specifically, the Smash team. His cousin told him the details of the new character, and my friend told me. Don't come doubting me and then tell people "Oh my gosh, UndertaleFan123456 is the best leaker ever, I believed him all along!!!!!" Anyway, now for the character.
  • Paper Mario from the Paper Mario series is the next Smash fighter. Toad was a close call, but in the end, Paper Mario was chosen for some reason. The tagline is "Paper Mario folds in!"
  • The only Paper Mario alts I can confirm are the emblems from TTYD and a Purple alt based on that one chapter with Dooplis in it.
  • Paper Mario's jab is identical to Isabelle's where he uses an eekhammer. Less spammable than Isabelle's, but deals more damage.
  • Paper Mario's neutral b has him kick a koopa shell forward.
  • Paper Mario's dash has him use the spin dash from the original Paper Mario game.
  • Paper Mario's grab has him use the 1,000 fold arms like a tether and he throws using Thoreau and some other partners.
  • Paper Mario's smash attacks have him use the hammer, though I'm not sure how.
  • Paper Mario's final smash has him use the Peach Beam
  • Dimentio is added as a raid-boss exclusive boss. He has two phases: his normal phase and his Super Dimentio phase.
  • Paper Mario's stage is the stage/theater from TTYD.
  • Paper Macho Goombas and Jr. Troopa are added as minibosses for Smash Dungeon. Dooplighosts are also added as enemies.
  • A hat based on Huey is added as a Mii costume hat.
  • To pay homage to the Mario and Luigi series, Cackeletta is added as a Mii brawler outfit.
  • King Olly is added as an assist trophy, but I don't know what he does.
All criticism will be blocked, and you won't be able to see my accurate leaks. So don't bother.
Do these 2 entries count? I assume the Wario one doesn't since we already got Ashley for WarioWare and Waluigi for Mario but Paper Mario falls into a bit of a grey area.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do these 2 entries count? I assume the Wario one doesn't since we already got Ashley for WarioWare and Waluigi for Mario but Paper Mario falls into a bit of a grey area.
We might wanna ask the guys in charge. I know they're "different enough", but that doesn't change the fact they're both considered part of the Wario and Mario series(s).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Now I think about it, wouldn't Mr, Stevenson also count as a second Duck Hunt rep?

EDIT: NVM, forgot the rules of this job. Disregard this. Would like a verdict on Wario Land before voting closes so I can give a replacement submission.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m sorry but I haven’t been able to keep tabs on this thread much today. My ability to will wain by next week.

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , I’m sorry but Wario Land Wario is not permissible because of the previous requirements. It’s a great submission but it’s still technically underneath the Wario umbrella. We are looking to expand the franchises that don’t have a newcomer yet and, considering we have Ashley already, we want to branch out a bit. It’s nothing personal but we want to get the spotlight to other franchises.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And upon further review, I’m sadly going to pull the plug on Paper Mario Yiptap Yiptap

I hate doing this sort of thing but while Paper Mario is an entire universe, it’s still Mario.We are striving to at least give a newcomer boost to another franchise. I’m not writing Paper Mario off from becoming a newcomer but just not this job.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mini Kangaroo (Mini-Game Series)

• New Smash fighter is a strange kangaroo and joey team with five lines on the mother's pouch. She's called "Mini Kangaroo" and has an extremely simplified design with minimal details and cel shading.
  • Attacks include a toy grabby hand, cotton candy machine, a baby stroller(?), a gun with tiny cars for bullets(??) and throwing playing cards.
  • Stage is a Japanese sakura garden with lots of birds and a red and white colour scheme. Seems to be designed for competitive play. I have no clue what it has to do with kangaroos
  • The trailer goes through Nintendo consoles backwards from Switch to NES, before showing the kangaroo - this character might be some sort of retro character judging by this? The trailer is also in 4:3 with a worn VHS filter so there's that.
  • Not a boxing kangaroo.
  • The series logo at the end of her trailer is just her with some Japanese text next to her, so I don't know where she's from.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
OK, can you give me some time to prepare an alternative submission? Half an hour should do at max.
So it seems Smashboards has been dropping every so often.

Wario3, yeah, we can give you enough time. Yiptap Yiptap as well. Either myself or another team leader will be closing submissions within the next 4 hours unless replacement submissions are posted. If Smashboards is down, you can use the Discord.

Before Smashboards dies on us again, here are the results of our Classic Mode Credit voting!

1625096009404.png

Platformer: 66.67% (6 votes)
Invaders: 33.33% (3 votes)

Results

Yiptap

Smash Lord
And upon further review, I’m sadly going to pull the plug on Paper Mario Yiptap Yiptap

I hate doing this sort of thing but while Paper Mario is an entire universe, it’s still Mario.We are striving to at least give a newcomer boost to another franchise. I’m not writing Paper Mario off from becoming a newcomer but just not this job.
Oh well, it's fine. It does make sense: Nintendo would probably want to push other series in E3.
Edit: Honestly, I really like the other submissions we've had, so I'll sit this one out. But thanks anyway!
Edit2: I changed my mind, I have another character up my sleeve.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job 136
Alright, your favorite leakerman SushiSashimi here. This might just be my last leak, but it was worth it. Nintendo randomly contacted various (Insert whatever system we're putting SSBI on here) players to playtest Infinite's upcoming E3 demo, and by some stroke of luck I got chosen. I think they're showing off a certain third-party there based on what my sources have told me, but they're not in the demo; I think they want them to be a surprise. That being said, I did get to see someone else I was hearing a lot about:
1625094746061.png

Surprise surprise, it's fricking Phosphora. Out of all the names I kept hearing about, she was at the bottom of my expectations. Such an oddly specific, yet unlikely choice; I was sure it was leakbait, especially after we got a new KI rep in Medusa. I guess Echoes aren't considered a full fighter? But nope, she's legit - And actually pretty fun to play, at that. Let's review:
  • Speedy rushdown fighter; Kinda like Captain Falcon, but a bit safer since her moves don't have much startup or endlag
  • Like in Uprising and her AT appearances, she's always floating. She's also a lightweight because of it, but she moves so fast it doesn't matter
    • On that note, I think she might actually be faster than Cap. At the very least, she comes close; I wasn't able to properly compare them
  • Normals rely extensively on kicks, usually with arms crossed in a Vegito/Gogeta-esque manner. Seriously, the amount of times she actually punches someone can be counted on one hand, and most of those instances are just her throws
  • The standout normals are her down air - A powerful diving stomp - And her down smash - A ground punch that makes a big shockwave
  • Neutral special's a spammable thunder arrow uncharged and a big ball of lightning when charged
  • Side special is a rapid lighting dash. It's like Fox's side special and Pikachu's up special had a baby and will most likely break competitive play assuming it doesn't get nerfed between now and release
  • Up special is a teleport. Not much to say here
  • Down special is a little ball of electricity that she tosses in an arc. If it hits the ground, it turns into a Power Wave-esque projectile
  • She has a unique Energy gimmick. Once a bar fills up, she suddenly becomes a lot stronger. It fills up faster the more she moves, and drains if she stays in one spot or is caught in a combo for too long. Basically, just get her going and let the match snowball from there
  • Magnus' AT came back, possibly to fill the void left by Phosphora's promotion. They also added an AT for the Ornes and I absolutely hate whoever decided it was a good idea. You do not know how much trauma the Ornes unearth for me holy %$#@
  • Thunder Cloud Temple is being added as a stage
That's it for now. I still can't get over this; Phosphora was the name I kept hearing from all my sources, but I just didn't see her happening until now. Guess the moral of the story is to not trust what I think is possible. The other thing I keep hearing from everyone is Genshin Impact content, but every time I hear about it I keep getting something different. One guy claims a fighter, another an AT, and someone says it's just a Mii. Heck, they can't even agree on the character being added. I'll get back to you on who it is, assuming they're not just shown at E3... And the Nintendo ninjas don't get my by then...

Oh yeah, one last thing. I may have kinda sorta fabricated a couple parts. NDA's real %$#@ing strict, and I'm even I'm not gonna just dump everything out there. This should hopefully cover my tracks just enough to let me weather out the storm for when the Big N starts cracking down. I'll let you figure out what's real and what's fake on your own.

Probably not gonna win, but who knows, maybe I'll score some points for just writing a lot. I just thought it'd be fun if I submitted her :drshrug:

Yiptap

Smash Lord

Hey guys, it's UndertaleFan123456 here, and my friend has a cousin who works at Nintendo, or more specifically, the Smash team. His cousin told him the details of the new character, and my friend told me. Don't come doubting me and then tell people "Oh my gosh, UndertaleFan123456 is the best leaker ever, I believed him all along!!!!!" Anyway, now for the character. (OOC: I know D.J. Octavio also rides a mech, but I feel that Porky would be different enough and bring more to the table to make him feel truly different, 'cause I know that it'll be brought up at some point)
  • The fighter is Porky Minch from the Mother series with the tagline "Porky pigs out!" There was debate whether to include Ninten or Porky, but in the end, Porky was chosen.
  • Porky pilots his mech from his Earthbound bossfight when he fights. He has an alternate costume which resembles his appearance from Mother 3.
  • Porky's jab is similar to that one attack in his SSBB boss fight where he pokes his mech claw a bunch of times.
  • Porky's neutral b has him send out a Porky robot from Mother 3.
  • Porky's dash attack has him charge forward like that one attack from his Earhbound boss fight.
  • Porky's smash attacks has him use some of the guns that Pigmasks use.
  • One of Porky's attacks has him spew out a stinky gas, though I don't know which attack it is.
  • Porky's final smash has him incorporate the Porky Statue in some way.
  • Porky also returns as a boss and appears in Wishing Stars.
  • Insane Cultists and Master Belch appear as Smash Dungeon enemies (Master Belch never appears in hordes). Fassad is added as a miniboss.
  • The annoying ass Flying Man hazard in Magicant is removed and is promoted to assist trophy as a 3d model.
  • The brand new assist trophy is the Masked Man but I don't know much about what he does. The two things I know are that he uses his sword and PSI in some way.
  • The recently revealed Pigmask enemy was shown off in advance to allude to Porky's inclusion.
  • A Pigmask appears as Mii gunner costume.
  • The Devil's Machine is added as a stage. Giygas appears as a cameo.
  • The Mani Mani Statue is supposed to appear at some point, but I don't know how.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So, while it might seem hypocritical to accept it based on earlier statements, Phosphora is eligible. This is partially due to a mistake on my part by not including limiting franchises that currently is repped by an Echo. We try to get a balance of a newcomer plus an echo like what we have with Kirby and Resident Evil. Kid Icarus, on the other hand, has Medusa who is more or less an exact copy of Palutena minus a few aesthetic differences and a new Final Smash. I’m not one to backpeddle on things involving the thread and any issues that may arise so, based on this, I am green lighting Phosphora.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, while it might seem hypocritical to accept it based on earlier statements, Phosphora is eligible. This is partially due to a mistake on my part by not including limiting franchises that currently is repped by an Echo. We try to get a balance of a newcomer plus an echo like what we have with Kirby and Resident Evil. Kid Icarus, on the other hand, has Medusa who is more or less an exact copy of Palutena minus a few aesthetic differences and a new Final Smash. I’m not one to backpeddle on things involving the thread and any issues that may arise so, based on this, I am green lighting Phosphora.
Three cheers for loopholes! Hip hip-

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I checked the rules to make sure. It noted that it only prohibited series with non-Echo newcomers, and seeing as Medusa was an Echo I assumed Phosphora would be fine.

Good thing too because I do not want all that writing to go to waste

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Leaked First Party Newcomer Submissions has Closed!
We will be voting on Google Forms.
FighterSeriesSubmitter
Officer HowardAstral Chain GolisoPower GolisoPower
Dixie KongDonkey Kong Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12
TikiFire Emblem cashregister9 cashregister9
Ring Fit TraineeRing Fit Adventure Jomosensual Jomosensual
GuardianThe Legend of Zelda PeridotGX PeridotGX
Spring ManARMS Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
KrystalStar Fox Paraster Paraster
Master HandSuper Smash Bros. Adrianette Bromide Adrianette Bromide
Chibi-RoboChibi-Robo ahemtoday ahemtoday
StorkYoshi evanwoo10 evanwoo10
MidnaThe Legend of Zelda BowserKing BowserKing
MatthewWii Sports Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
EudenDragalia Lost C chocolatejr9
Mr. StevensonGumshoe S Stratos
AndyAdvance Wars Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
ImpaThe Legend of Zelda warpenguin55 warpenguin55
Mini KangarooMini-Game Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
PhosphoraKid Icarus SharkLord SharkLord
PorkyEarthbound Yiptap Yiptap

We have a lot of amazing submissions this time around! Let's see who was the unlucky newcomer to have their reveal leaked....​

To the thread, while we typically group submissions together, it’s a bit different this time around for the newcomer as leaks are involved. We will forgo the grouping process this time around.

Here is the link to the Google Form!
We will be using ranked voting this time around, so please follow the directions on the form!
Please vote in each column. Only voting in one column may render vote null.

-

In addition to voting, we will be kicking off our
Leaked First Party Newcomer Discussion Period!
discuss please

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Are we allowed to vote for our own in first place? It just says you can vote for your own.
It’s hard to police people on not voting for their own submissions for first place on Google Forms. We would prefer people dont and instead focus on their second most favorite submission.

That being said, this part of omitted but not on purpose. We will be more strict next time about using the three pointer vote for one’s submissions. Since we forgot to include that and people have already voted, we won’t be enforcing this rule but we do ask for people to do try and vote for other submissions.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Fun fact: the way I worded my leak is a reference to how some "leaks" clearly don't know what it is they're talking about, thus giving away their fakeness (i.e. not knowing certain names). Plus, being a mobile game, not many people know what goes on in Dragalia Lost, so it seemed like a good approach.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
For my Akira leak, I've seen some leaks describing things that Nintendo and Sakurai haven't done with Smash before (For a more grand scale example, the Concert leak), so I thought I'd something similar like the teaser at the end of the reveal.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Gonna talk over some of the main contenders for my vote. Gonna leave out Ring Fit Trainee since I submitted that and I obviously like the idea, otherwise I wouldn't have submitted it.

Officer Howard - If you've paid attention to my posts I've made it pretty clear what I think about Astral Chain and Officer Howard. Personally I think that whatever the top couple of 1st party series that come out between Smash games are deserve a playable character, just to keep the focus even between 1st and 3rd parties. If I'm not mistaken the 2 that fit that bill are pretty easily Astral Chain and Ring Fit, so those are the ones I want to push for

Tiki - While she could very easily wait until the likely FE round, I think Tiki is probably who I'd vote for then anyways. I love the idea of a transforming FE character getting into Smash. I also really like the Manakete species, so that's probably my pick in general since I think we're too one note for FE reps in Smash anyhow.

Spring Man - I like the idea of ARMS getting a 2nd playable character. While I'd much rather get either Helix or Max Brass personally, Spring Man would make a ton of sense for that spot. Maybe he could get a Springtron alt as well. My only worry with him is that he wouldn't be different enough from Min Min while there's others who would be. Given that a lot of people call him the protag though then I wouldn't mind this.

Master Hand - Now honestly, I think this would be a really cool add. Master Hand would be a really cool add, especially for an E3 reveal. He's fairly well known and has been a part of every single Smash game. I also love the idea of a Smash original character too, and trying to figure out how he'd work would in Smash would be a ton of fun.

Midna and Impa - Combining these 2 since they have a similar case. These 2 would both be the first non Link/Zelda/Ganon to join the roster from LOZ. While I don't find it to be the biggest need on the roster, I do think it is a need. I'd personally lean Impa since I really like her Hyrule Warriors design and the general idea from her fake leak.

Porky - I'd personally like to see a few more villains on the roster in general, and 1st party villains I am more than ok with. I'd also really like to see how we would work Porky's mech suit into his moveset.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Job #136:
SSBI_spirit_Officer_Howard_(Male).png
SSBI_spirit_Officer_Howard_(Female).png

The Savior of the Ark
Officer Howard

What is Astral Chain?
Released on August 30, 2019 worldwide on the Nintendo Switch, Astral Chain is an action-adventure hack and slash video game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Nintendo. The game’s combat revolves around the controlling of two characters, Officer Howard and their Legion in order to tear through hordes of enemies. The combat is extremely combo focused, with extra emphasis on ground-based combat. By making use of the Legion, the player will be able to set up strategies to effectively control the stage. As of March 31, 2020, the game has enjoyed a success of 1.08 million copies sold, making it one of Nintendo’s best selling new IPs on the Switch system.

The story is set on a dystopian planet Earth, where an extradimensional threat known as Chimeras have rendered most of the planet uninhabitable. This has caused the survivors of humanity to take refuge on an artificial landmass known as the Ark, a project spearheaded by scientist Yoseph Calvert. Though humanity is relatively safe on the Ark, the landmass developing its own culture over time, several issues still continue to plague it. For example, a large chimera outbreak happened in an area known as Zone 09, forcing the government to quarantine that location. The state of the Zone has caused unrest among the citizens who were unwillingly trapped there. Additionally, the existence of Chimeras is a complete secret that is hidden from the general public. The invisible threat continues to corrupt - or redshift - surviving citizens into hostile Aberrations that cannot be returned to their past human self. This phenomenon has forced the government and science to research the origins of Chimera in order to curb the threat. Eventually, progress is made and it is found that Chimeras can be captured and weaponized, thus turning hostile Chimeras into Legions. These Legions are eventually given to an elite task force within the police, known as Neuron.

Who is Officer Howard?
Officer Howard is one of two new recruits to the Neuron task force, the other being their twin sibling Akira Howard. Despite objections from their adoptive father and captain of Neuron, Maximilian Howard, they are the most qualified to wield the experimental Legions in battle. The twins receive their Legions and begin their war against the otherworldly chimera threat. Following an investigation in Zone 36, Officer Howard is dragged into the Astral Plane by a large chimera. When the other Neuron officers arrive on scene, the powerful redshift energy causes the officers to grow weak, forcing them to scramble for an exit. Eventually, the Legions become corrupted with redshift, breaking free from their masters and attacking them. Of all the officers, only Ofc. Howard is able to regain control of their legion. After emerging from the Astral Plane, Neuron finds the Sync level of the Legion and Ofc. Howard is extremely high, thus making them an important asset to the Ark. Throughout the game, the player is tasked with solving missions by the commander of Neuron, Yoseph Calvert. While Akira eventually does regain a set of Legions, their insecurity over the events that happened in the Astral Plane and weakness compared to their sibling leads to conflicts between the two. These conflicts as well as missions culminate into a greater whole at the game’s climax, which provides an explanation as to why Legions were created and the purpose of the Legionis…

Astral Chain’s Presence in Smash
Currently, there are 4 spirits to represent the game in Smash Bros. Ultimate - the player’s avatar in both male and female variants (albeit listed as Hero (ASTRAL CHAIN) in the spirit list) as well as Lappy, the mascot of the Ark Police Department, and Kyle Merkulov, the leader of a hacking ring in Zone 09 and a minor antagonist. In Smash Bros. Infinite, this representation is increased significantly with two additional spirits, Brenda Moreno and Olive Espinosa, supporting characters and key figures in Neuron. In addition to spirits, several of the game’s music is present in the game. This includes boss battle music such as Jena Anderson and level music such as Ark Mall (Combat Phase) to name a few. Most notably, there is the Shell Chimera enemy in Smash Dungeon, which mimics its behavior in Astral Chain.

Astral Chain definitely has much more content that is a perfect fit for Smash Bros. In addition to a fighter, the gargantuan bosses of the series will make for excellent fights. There are many minor and major characters alike that will function well as Assist Trophies and spirits, such as Jena, Kyle, and Hal. In addition, the game features many breathtaking locations on the Ark and Astral Plane that could function amazingly as stages. The music in the game is one of the best that the Nintendo Switch system has to offer, from high energy battle themes to ambient sounds to powerful vocal tracks. The seamless transition between these songs allow for an immersive experience while playing the game and a wonderful listening experience.

How would Ofc. Howard Play?
As mentioned before, Astral Chain features a double combat system based on intricate control of the Legion. As such, it would be criminal not to focus on this part of gameplay in Ofc. Howard’s moveset. This would make them a puppeteer character, similar to Rosalina and Luma. Unlike Rosalina, however, Ofc. Howard would have greater control over their puppet, the focus on moving and positioning key to the match at hand.
Without the Legion, Officer Howard has a weapon at hand - their trusty X-Baton, which is a standard weapon entrusted to police officers throughout the Ark. It is capable of transforming from its base baton mode, to a blaster similar to Fox’s and to an Axe (though known as a Gladius). In addition to managing the Legion, the player must also manage their weapon choice in order to complement their Legion and maximize the effectiveness of their attacks.

In addition to their X-Baton, Ofc. Howard also has a diverse set of Legions at their disposal. Ofc. Howard can have one active Legion at a time and sending them out takes energy, which forces them to disappear if a meter is depleted. Once sent out, the Legion will stay in place and attack any enemy that comes close, though it can be moved freely so long as the Astral Chain has enough reach. The Legions have purpose in and out of battle including attacking, digging up items, being a suit for Ofc. Howard to wear, and curing redshifted citizens. The Sword Legion is the standard Legion, which has balanced speed and attack, making it useful throughout the game. The Arrow Legion focuses on projectiles and attacking from a distance, which is extremely important for taking care of enemies in a distance. The Arm Legion occupies a strange niche, focusing on powerful attacks as well as throws. The Beast Legion focuses on extreme speed and evading attacks, allowing for Ofc. Howard to ride on its back. Finally, the Axe Legion emphasizes defense and even stronger attacks than the Arm Legion. Each Legion has a varied skill set that the player must utilize in both combat and exploration. This diversity provides a unique niche in the Smash Bros. roster, with a puppeteer character focused on controlling the stage with various options for doing so.

The options that Ofc. Howard with and without their legion present strong moveset potential that will both accurately represent the game and be fun to play in Smash Bros. Recovery options including riding on the Beast Legion and Chain Jumps, attacks utilizing both Legion and X-Baton, and Final Smash using the spoiler are all examples of how an Astral Chain newcomer could work in Smash Bros.

Potential Issues Addressed

Q: Why add an Astral Chain character?

First and foremost, Officer Howard represents a new intellectual property for Nintendo, one that has debuted on the Switch nonetheless. As Smash is first and foremost a video game for Nintendo and a vessel for the company to advertise, it would make sense to have a representative for one of their most profitable new franchises. Astral Chain is one of these, and with rumored sequels in the works, it only makes sense to advertise. Additionally, Astral Chain represents a strong connection with Platinum Games, whose partnership with Nintendo grows closer by the day. In a non-advertisement standpoint, an Astral Chain character provides an interesting moveset that has previously been only explored by Rosalina. By expanding on the puppeteer playstyle, it would increase the variety of Smash Bros. The moveset potential of Ofc. Howard and the success of Astral Chain definitely put it into a desirable place to be added in Smash Bros.

Q: Isn’t their name “Akira?”

Akira is the name of the sibling of the protagonist, the avatar that the player does not choose in the beginning. Akira goes down another path compared to the player and their personality and abilities in the end is different than the player’s Ofc. Howard. They also have a completely different set of Legions than the player, thus, naming Ofc. Howard “Akira” would be a disservice to both of the characters and grossly inaccurate. Though the player does have some default names, there are no set names similar to Byleth or Corrin. There are other names for Ofc. Howard that can be used - “Legionis” is used by characters in game sometimes, “Hero” is used by Smash Bros.

Q: Wouldn’t having the Legions out be too taxing on the system?

Ofc. Howard does not have to use all 5 Legions, thus, if the system cannot handle the Legions, they can be limited to Smash Attacks and Specials. Though it would be unfortunate to not have all five Legions or a greater control of the Legions, it would still be accurate to the source material and without problem.

Final Arguments
  1. Officer Howard is from a highly successful new IP that represents a strong connection with a partner company
  2. Officer Howard has strong moveset potential that has only been slightly explored before and thus would be an interesting new way to fight
  3. The Legion would be completely different to Rosalina’s Lumas in how they play and interact with the stage
  4. Astral Chain’s soundtrack is full of consistent bangers and not having them in Smash along with a character would be a crime

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be honest I'm not really expecting Phosphora to win. I just had an idea and felt like throwing it out there. There's a couple other characters that I'm rooting for that have a better shot at winning anyways, such as the one airConditioner airConditioner just did a massive writeup for. Adding on to their essay, there's two things I'd like to add on to:

First off, thank you for addressing the whole Akira thing. That irks me a lot more than it rationally should because the Astral Chain main character is not fricking Akira that is their twin STOP CALLING THEM AKIRA-

On a more serious note, there's also the matter of how difficult it would be for the Legions to be out. It seems that the main issue with the duo character that we know had issues - Rex and Pyra - Were because the Switch couldn't handle them both being out. That being said, Infinite isn't on the Switch, it's on Nintendo's next-gen console. We can just say that it's strong enough to deal with them now, or we can have the Legions be a power booster like Arsene, or perhaps we can just give them less polygons and a more simplified redesign for the sake of Smash. Basically, I think we can work our way around it.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Discussion has died down a bit -though I believe that's moreso because everyone went to their beds- anyways, for the sake to keep the thread moving...

Spirit Task - Touhou and Tekken Spirits
This was a long time coming, but we've decided to wait for Kazuya's release in the case of minor details for Tekken Spirits such as overlapping Spirit conditions (seems to be mostly Stamina Battle) and the likes. We understand that both might need guidelines, especially in the case for Touhou ones, so we've provided some for you guys to help you get started.

Touhou
For anyone that might be unaware, not only are there like a kajillion Touhou games but old ZUN art (who is the creator and main artist for the Touhou series) is a bit... eh I'd say take a look for yourselves. This is why we had to develop some clear guidelines as to give what games priority in terms of art, so with the help of SharkLord SharkLord , we have developed some clear guidelines to try to stay coherent.
  1. We'll be prioritizing new Touhou games with new ZUN art. This is all games after Double Dealing Character, which is the 14th game in the series. We'll pick the most recent art of a character. So in the case of Reimu's Fighter Spirit for example, her Fighter Spirit art will come from the most recent mainline Touhou game.
  2. If a character does not appear in a Touhou game post-Double Dealing Character. Then please use their art of them from Antinomy of Common Flowers, which is a mainline fighting game that counts as the 15.5th entry in the Touhou franchise.
  3. If again, the character you want to make a Spirit for still doesn't have art, then the next stop is Touhou Hisoutensoku. It is also a mainline fighting game that has some pretty great art of past characters, it counts as the 12.3rd official entry (yeah don't ask me why, Touhou games are just like that) in the franchise.
  4. And if things come to worst, and your character does not have art in any games from the 14th entry onwards, Antinomy of Common Flowers, or Hisoutensoku. Then well, just use their original old ZUN art we'll say.
Might seem like some strict guidelines, but these rules can easily be condensed as "New ZUN art > AoCF art > Hisoutensoku art > Old ZUN art" in terms of priority. So yeah, that's pretty much it for Touhou. If there are still any questions hanging around, don't mind asking them to the Spirit Team, or SharkLord SharkLord .

We can make certain exceptions for certain characters, like the Scarlet Sisters for example. If we go by the guidelines then Remilia would use Hisoutensoku and Flandre would use EoSD. Which would be... quite the switch if you put the character artworks next to each other. So for coherence's sake, I believe adding in old ZUN art of Remilia would be fine to match with Flandre (again, as an example).

As Touhou has a ton of games withing its library, it's okay to make exceptions for characters. If you want to make an exception for a certain character, just note the reasoning as to why within your Spirit Submission post so the Spirit Team can take that into account.

Tekken
Considering Smash Ultimate uses Tekken 7 or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 art for Spirits, we'll advise you to just use the official render of the character of the latest game they appeared in. Simple as that. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has plenty of new renders of characters from old past games, while Tekken 7 provides a lot of new renders for new and returning characters as well.

Last thing, don't forget to use the format please:

While we're on the topic of submitting spirits I just want to mention the formatting of spirit posts. Right now the way that the inforamtion for a spirit battle is displayed varies depending on the submitter, so its not very cohesive, and some are missing information or use inconsistent language to describe the same things. This is the format I use and Venus has encouraged others to adopt it as well.

[Picture][Name] [(Game of Origin)]
Class:
Type: [Primary/Support)(Attack/Shield/Grab), # of slots
Effect:
  • Puppet Fighter: Fighter (Describe which alt)
  • Stage:
  • Music Track:
  • Match:
  • Conditions:
For Example: (This is a spirit I submitted already so it doesn't need to be added again)
Lana (Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Shield, 2 Slots
Effect: Electric Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Robin (Blue)
  • Stage: Temple
  • Music Track: Push Forward
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions: The enemy favors neutral special, Hazard: Zap Floor

Here are some resources that I use when making my spirits that helps with keeping the skills they have accurate, as well as not creating a spirit thats already in the game.

I use this one to see which traits come alongside primary spirits

I use this to see which effects can be given by support spirits.

I use this to see what the in game text is for certain conditions.

I've also found that the Mario wiki has the most viewable list of already existing spirits, with the spirit battle details alongside it for inspiration.

I think that using the Wikia and the already existing google sheets will work going forward. Another thing to think about if we're regulating spirit submissions is that right now quite a few spirits use in the game sprite as their spirit art. There is precedent in Smash Ultimate for this happening with the Mother, Ice Climber, and Pac-Man series using in game sprites but usually if there's no official art of the character then its likely that they're not the kind of character who would get a spirit.

Personally I think R.O.B. is an exception and should be the only real world spirit since he's a fighter.
And that's pretty much it, happy submitting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom