• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
dixie kong

But in all honesty the characters I see that are absolute glaring omissions are Toad (being so recognizable that my friend thought he was in Smash until someone corrected her) and Dixie Kong, being one of the key members of the DK Crew. I'm of the belief that Smash should be a way for Nintendo to advertise its franchises, so the franchises I believe still need to be added are Chibi-Robo and Astral Chain (Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven are in this list as well but we added them already).

As for third-party characters, Sonic desperately needs a new representative despite me wanting other Sega characters. I also agree that Namco desperately needs a new character (though who that is is up for debate).

In short: Toad, Dixie, Chibi-Robo character, Astral Chain character, Sonic character, Namco character

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They're not my personal most-wanteds and I'm not that knowledgeable on their home series, but I think we must mention the mascots of the three big JRPGs represented in Smash - Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and by extension of Persona, the MegaTen franchise. The Black Mage, Jack Frost, and especially the Slime are arguably as recognizable and integral to the series as any of the protagonists, and would garner a spot on the roster as much as any of the defined characters.

Again, extra mention to Slime; They popularized the idea of a slime as a common low-level enemy in fantasy games, got their own spinoffs, and are considered important enough that Sakurai would've used them instead if he couldn't secure the rights for the Heroes. Even then, he was featured quite prominently for just a mook, appearing in one of Hero's taunts, one of their victory screens, and as a background cameo.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Again, extra mention to Slime; They popularized the idea of a slime as a common low-level enemy in fantasy games, got their own spinoffs, and are considered important enough that Sakurai would've used them instead if he couldn't secure the rights for the Heroes. Even then, he was featured quite prominently for just a mook, appearing in one of Hero's taunts, one of their victory screens, and as a background cameo.
Slime is also one of the few non fighters to be on the banner. I would love to see Slime get in personally.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Characters I'd consider necessary?

A Character From An Extremely Fresh Nintendo Series. - Looking at our current selection of newly represented Nintendo universes in Infinite as of current, it feels a little off. Essentially just a lot of oldish franchises that have been around for at least 10 years or so. No newer franchises whatsoever. Given most smash games have added at least one or two new fresher first party franchises, I think we should strive for the same here. I know it may seem hard to pinpoint a lot of cannidates given Nintendo doesn't do new IPs that often, but looking in just the Switch era, I still think there's some notable cannidates. Main two that stick out to me are Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventures, these were both notable hits and I think possibly adding one of these could go a long way of making our roster feel fresh.

Advance Wars - This is a weird one, but if we're adding in a lot of the notable 2000's era Nintendo IPs with the likes of Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, even Style Savvy , I think we should round it all out and get Advance Wars in here too. I think it's an extremely notable series that is fondly remembered with a fare amount of legacy, notably being the catalyst for Nintendo to bring over Fire Emblem to the states. Stuff like Chibi Robo could work here too, but I think Advance Wars inches it out just a little bit.

Ryu Hayabusa - for the most part, I think we have our third parties down to a T, with one sole exception. Ninja Gaiden was quite a beast back in the day and was up there along with Mega Man and Castlevania as one of the biggest non Nintendo developed games to make the NES it's home. Even beyond the NES, had garnered quite the legacy having had a hack n slash reboot series during the 2000's and Hayabusa pretty much becoming the face of Koei Tecmo, having made recurring appearances in some of their other franchises, most notably notably Warriors and Dead Or Alive. Not to mention he's pretty much become the defacto video game ninja.

There's a bunch of other ones I could mention, but I don't have all day, plus people have already brought some of em up so I'll try and avoid repeating.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa - for the most part, I think we have our third parties down to a T, with one sole exception. Ninja Gaiden was quite a beast back in the day and was up there along with Mega Man and Castlevania as one of the biggest non Nintendo developed games to make the NES it's home. Even beyond the NES, had garnered quite the legacy having had a hack n slash reboot series during the 2000's and Hayabusa pretty much becoming the face of Koei Tecmo, having made recurring appearances in some of their other franchises, most notably notably Warriors and Dead Or Alive. Not to mention he's pretty much become the defacto video game ninja.
On the topic of NES legacy characters, I feel like we'll have to mention these guys
1621832880440.png

Contra was an NES icon, from what I can gather, and it's the one that popularized the famous Konami Code. If we're looking for retro characters, I think Bill and Lance fit the... Uh, the bill...

Well, you know what I mean.

Stratos

Smash Ace
We should also consider some games whose characters did not gain recognition from Super Smash Bros. while they are from Nintendo:

Warlocked
Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics
Tin Star
Uniracers
Pro Wrestling
StarTroppics
Geist
Devil's Third (For that I'm not so sure if it belongs to Nintendo)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
We should also consider some games whose characters did not gain recognition from Super Smash Bros. while they are from Nintendo:

Warlocked
Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics
Tin Star
Uniracers
Pro Wrestling
StarTroppics
Geist
Devil's Third (For that I'm not so sure if it belongs to Nintendo)
I did submit a Tin Star Spirit and someone else submitted a Uniracers spirit. Uniracers was rejected because of the Pixar lawsuit but I don't know why Tin Star was rejected (although I at least know he was)

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they decide to put a character from Mortal Kombat as a newcomer in the next Super Smash Bros. game, it is a choice between Liu Kang who is the protagonist of the series and Scorpion who is the mascot of the series. Although there is a possibility that they will put both or neither of them. Also remaining 2 DLC newcomers in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
If they decide to put a character from Mortal Kombat as a newcomer in the next Super Smash Bros. game, it is a choice between Liu Kang who is the protagonist of the series and Scorpion who is the mascot of the series. Although there is a possibility that they will put both or neither of them. Also remaining 2 DLC newcomers in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I got you (sorry for pinging everyone in the team)

Hello potential developer!
Welcome to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Sequel Project - now known as Super Smash Bros. Infinite! We are very excited to see that you have expressed interest in joining our project. Here are some FAQs regarding our project:

Is this actually going to be a fan game?
Unfortunately, this is just a creative brainstorming project. We are only coming up with ideas on how this game will function, what characters it will have, and how different it will be from its predecessor, Ultimate.

Cool! How do I submit a character/stage/assist trophy/etc.?
This project is run on a job-by-job basis. This means that the thread creator, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom or the Executive Assistants, ( Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , @Mr. Robotto, Krookodilian Krookodilian , and airConditioner airConditioner ) will be providing prompts regularly for us developers to answer. These prompts can range from specific (Submit a Halloween Themed character) to vague (Suggest a new first-party franchise for our next character). Once some time has passed after the prompt is given, we will vote on the suggestions, with the winning suggestion(s) making it to the final game. This means that we won't have the opportunity to suggest characters/stages/etc. until the prompt itself is given to us. Furthermore, when we do add characters, keep in mind that we try to keep the newcomers different. For example, after having Jill & Leon as our Game Awards newcomers, we were unable to submit Officer Howard as our next newcomer because they would be too similar (anime cop with a gun that kills otherworldly monsters). This doesn't mean that you would not be able to suggest them again later, it just means we can't have two similar characters back to back. Again, we will have specific times to suggest characters, so please hold onto your ideas for then!

What about Spirits and Music?
As with other parts of the game, we will be submitting spirits on a case-by-case basis, in order to account for the work our Spirit Team does. The two main times we will submit spirits will be after a new character is revealed and when a spirit event is made. Spirit events are week long submissions that are themed around a particular... theme. This can be things like holidays, such as Easter, genres, such as fighting games, to more abstract concepts, like inanimate objects. We do have set rules, about submitting spirits, however. During spirit events, we will only accept 3 submissions per user and each submission is approved based on the discretion of the Spirit Team. Some examples of spirits that will be rejected are real life hardware, such as gaming consoles and accessories, spirits with no official art, and spirits that will increase the age rating. Additionally, when submitting spirits, it is highly encouraged to follow the format listed below to provide the Spirits Team with the information required to add them to the wiki.
While we're on the topic of submitting spirits I just want to mention the formatting of spirit posts. Right now the way that the inforamtion for a spirit battle is displayed varies depending on the submitter, so its not very cohesive, and some are missing information or use inconsistent language to describe the same things. This is the format I use and Venus has encouraged others to adopt it as well.

[Picture][Name] [(Game of Origin)]
Class:
Type: [Primary/Support)(Attack/Shield/Grab), # of slots
Effect:
  • Puppet Fighter: Fighter (Describe which alt)
  • Stage:
  • Music Track:
  • Match:
  • Conditions:
For Example: (This is a spirit I submitted already so it doesn't need to be added again)
Lana (Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors)
Class: Ace
Type: Primary Shield, 2 Slots
Effect: Electric Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Robin (Blue)
  • Stage: Temple
  • Music Track: Push Forward
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions: The enemy favors neutral special, Hazard: Zap Floor

Here are some resources that I use when making my spirits that helps with keeping the skills they have accurate, as well as not creating a spirit thats already in the game.

I use this one to see which traits come alongside primary spirits

I use this to see which effects can be given by support spirits.

I use this to see what the in game text is for certain conditions.

I've also found that the Mario wiki has the most viewable list of already existing spirits, with the spirit battle details alongside it for inspiration.

I think that using the Wikia and the already existing google sheets will work going forward. Another thing to think about if we're regulating spirit submissions is that right now quite a few spirits use in the game sprite as their spirit art. There is precedent in Smash Ultimate for this happening with the Mother, Ice Climber, and Pac-Man series using in game sprites but usually if there's no official art of the character then its likely that they're not the kind of character who would get a spirit.

Personally I think R.O.B. is an exception and should be the only real world spirit since he's a fighter.
In terms of music, we have a document on the main page. Music will be added periodically to prevent the document from filling up too fast. Each universe has a cap number, such as 40, that will be the maximum number of allowed songs. Additionally, this cap will be capped by a second, temporary cap, so you it is presented as 15/40. This means that of the 40 songs that will be added throughout the project's lifespan, only 15 will be accepted at the moment. This cap is raised every so often, and the maximum may be increased by adding a stage/character to the project later on. Like with spirits, we will be accepting music on a case-by-case basis. Songs that have difficulty negotiating for, songs with little to no relation with Nintendo or the characters in the project, or series with too many songs will be removed. Fan remixes are allowed, provided you give credit.

Wait, a wiki?
Yeah, we have a cool wiki. You'll find almost everything related to the project on this site.

That's about all I can think of for the project right now! Please enjoy your stay and we look forward to working with you!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This is going to sound a bit odd, but I feel like the most glaring omission so far is the absence of strange choices. Most of our choices are rather common topics of speculation, the only truly shocking choices are Barista, Stylist, Octavio, and maybe Grovyle. Meanwhile, Smash 4 (the last game with a comperable roster size) had plenty of odd picks (WFT, Rosalina, Greninja, the way Miis were implemented, Robin, Duck Hunt, Clown Car Bowser Jr).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is going to sound a bit odd, but I feel like the most glaring omission so far is the absence of strange choices. Most of our choices are rather common topics of speculation, the only truly shocking choices are Barista, Stylist, Octavio, and maybe Grovyle. Meanwhile, Smash 4 (the last game with a comperable roster size) had plenty of odd picks (WFT, Rosalina, Greninja, the way Miis were implemented, Robin, Duck Hunt, Clown Car Bowser Jr).
I don't usually do this and generally find it annoying when people do but...

This.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Glaring omissions, hm? Well, looking at our current roster, we've done a pretty good job of narrowing down some highly requested characters. But even if a character is highly requested, that doesn't necessarily make them "glaring omissions."
-We are DESPERATELY lacking a Sony rep. Crash sort of fits the bill, but he's multi-platform these days even if he got his start on the PS1. I can see Nathan Drake, Parappa, Kratos, Aloy, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, or even Astro Bot as worthy newcomers from the company.

-We also lack a character from Ubisoft-which is pretty glaring considering how much of a history they have in the gaming landscape and with Nintendo. Rayman comes to mind. Ezio would also be pretty cool. I've heard Rabbid Peach thrown around and, while I'm not exactly jumping on the idea, it could work.

-Bandai-Namco still only has one fighter, and as many have said before, that's a bit odd considering they're developing the game. Not like they need one more fighter, since what we already have is the quintessential gaming icon, but it would be nice since most of the other third-party companies already have multiple fighters. Ms. Pac-Man, the Ghost gang, Heihachi, and Chosen Undead are all characters who would be worthy of this spot.

-A Grand Theft Auto character. No, seriously. Grand Theft Auto is the second-biggest gaming franchise ever and it's filled with lots of colorful characters who could fit right into Smash. I hear CJ the most often but I think Trevor would also be a great choice. And before anyone asks, GTA has had a few games on Nintendo consoles, and we're adding two Resident Evil characters so I refuse to hear any "too mature" arguments.

-A character that represents a pretty unique bit of Nintendo history. ROB, Duck Hunt, or Wii Fit Trainer for examples. I personally would love to see the Joker from Nintendo's old playing cards get a spot on the roster. Captain N or a Power Glove would also be pretty funny additions I think. They'd make for a good WTF pick.

-I've rambled on long enough, so last thing-a TRUE INDIE REP. I love Steve and I'm glad he's in Smash but it's really difficult for me to consider him an indie rep with Microsoft buying Minecraft for 2.6 billion buckaroos. There are tons of characters we could pick from here given the large scope of indie games.

I will probably think of like ten more after I post this lol

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Glaring omissions, hm? Well, looking at our current roster, we've done a pretty good job of narrowing down some highly requested characters. But even if a character is highly requested, that doesn't necessarily make them "glaring omissions."
-We are DESPERATELY lacking a Sony rep. Crash sort of fits the bill, but he's multi-platform these days even if he got his start on the PS1. I can see Nathan Drake, Parappa, Kratos, Aloy, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, or even Astro Bot as worthy newcomers from the company.

-We also lack a character from Ubisoft-which is pretty glaring considering how much of a history they have in the gaming landscape and with Nintendo. Rayman comes to mind. Ezio would also be pretty cool. I've heard Rabbid Peach thrown around and, while I'm not exactly jumping on the idea, it could work.

-Bandai-Namco still only has one fighter, and as many have said before, that's a bit odd considering they're developing the game. Not like they need one more fighter, since what we already have is the quintessential gaming icon, but it would be nice since most of the other third-party companies already have multiple fighters. Ms. Pac-Man, the Ghost gang, Heihachi, and Chosen Undead are all characters who would be worthy of this spot.

-A Grand Theft Auto character. No, seriously. Grand Theft Auto is the second-biggest gaming franchise ever and it's filled with lots of colorful characters who could fit right into Smash. I hear CJ the most often but I think Trevor would also be a great choice. And before anyone asks, GTA has had a few games on Nintendo consoles, and we're adding two Resident Evil characters so I refuse to hear any "too mature" arguments.

-A character that represents a pretty unique bit of Nintendo history. ROB, Duck Hunt, or Wii Fit Trainer for examples. I personally would love to see the Joker from Nintendo's old playing cards get a spot on the roster. Captain N or a Power Glove would also be pretty funny additions I think. They'd make for a good WTF pick.

-I've rambled on long enough, so last thing-a TRUE INDIE REP. I love Steve and I'm glad he's in Smash but it's really difficult for me to consider him an indie rep with Microsoft buying Minecraft for 2.6 billion buckaroos. There are tons of characters we could pick from here given the large scope of indie games.

I will probably think of like ten more after I post this lol
Hate to do this again, but I agree with every word here, quality writeup. 👌

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So this is gonna be really personally biased because if you don't care about thw franchise, it won't be as important but any sort of mainline Megami Tensei character as a fighter. I get Joker is the most popular Atlus icon right now but it is just a little odd that the spin-off character gets to be in Smash but not a single drop of content for SMT. Now for Infinite we do have SMT demons as Smash Dungeon enemies which is honestly good enough but there's part of me that wants to see the Demi-fiend from Nocturne to kick some butt in Smash.

If you don't know what SMT is or haven't had a fan shove it in your face, it's basically the progenitor of monster collector games preceding Pokemon and DQ Monsters. It was also a unique game at the time being set in complete modern times over a fantasy world like most RPGs such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales which opted for more fantasy settings. And to top it off, Joker doesn't even swap between Personas or use them for his different sepcials so he doesn't feel like he represents being the granddaddy of collect 'em alls.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So this is gonna be really personally biased because if you don't care about thw franchise, it won't be as important but any sort of mainline Megami Tensei character as a fighter. I get Joker is the most popular Atlus icon right now but it is just a little odd that the spin-off character gets to be in Smash but not a single drop of content for SMT. Now for Infinite we do have SMT demons as Smash Dungeon enemies which is honestly good enough but there's part of me that wants to see the Demi-fiend from Nocturne to kick some butt in Smash.

If you don't know what SMT is or haven't had a fan shove it in your face, it's basically the progenitor of monster collector games preceding Pokemon and DQ Monsters. It was also a unique game at the time being set in complete modern times over a fantasy world like most RPGs such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales which opted for more fantasy settings. And to top it off, Joker doesn't even swap between Personas or use them for his different sepcials so he doesn't feel like he represents being the granddaddy of collect 'em alls.
Actually fully agree here. While I may not be the biggest fan of SMT-never even played anything outside of P5 (which I didn't finish), I think we should definitely include a non-Pokemon monster collector rep. Digimon and Yo-Kai Watch would also make for good choices.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my choices for must haves (note, I doubt most will get in, but I can still dream)

Fawful and Dark Bowser: As a fan of Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, I feel like they could show up in this game. Fawful would bring in unique abilities, and Dark Bowser would make a great Bowser Echo.
Dixie Kong: She was considered for Brawl and I think she would make a great Smash Bros fighter, and also a Diddy Kong Echo.
Midna, Skull Kid, Vaati and one of the Champion: We have not gotten a new Legend of Zelda Rep yet and I think these are the most interestingly fun choices we got. I especially want Midna in the game.
Krystal: Star Fox has not gotten a new rep in a long time and Krystal would make a great rep for that franchises.
Lugia: It might be too late for it in this game, but Lugia will still be my most wanted fighter. Besides, we do need a new Legendary Pokémon in Smash. Also most of my choices for Gen 8 are already in as spirits and Pokéball Pokémon (I would like Dragapult to be playable, but that chance for this game is gone)
New Sonic rep: this is a no brainer, given that Sonic is very popular, it deserves a second rep. Knuckles, Shadow and Dr.Eggman are my main choices for a second Sonic rep.
Shantae, Ray-Man, Bomberman and Shovel Knight: they are quite well requested and of the new third party franchises, they are my most wanted of those.

A few of my wanted ones (Bandanna Dee, Octoling, Crash, Issac, Ashley, Rhythm Heaven Rep (Barista) and Grass Type Pokémon (Groyvle and Celebi) did get in, so it was somewhat of a fair balence.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
For must haves I'm going to go off the path a little bit here. After how many characters are already in the game it feels like if there was no arguement against why you should be in Smash then you'd be in Smash. Thats how I see it for most first party characters at least. Not all fall into that of course but there's arguements as to why basically all of them aren't in Smash that hold some water now.

For must haves on our roster I think a good place to start would be series who came out during the DLC wave of Ultimate. Officer Howard and Ring Fit Trainer both fit that bill. Both series sold well and I feel like they've earned a smash roster spot. I've played maybe 1 hour combined of both games but it feels that if we don't add them in then something went wrong along the way. While Smash has undeniably gone from Nintendo crossover to a gaming crossover, it doesn't feel right to leave out big Nintendo first parties.

The 2nd need we have to fill is western gaming characters. Series like Bioshock, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Borderlands, Plants vs Zombies, Mass Effect, and so many more. A lot of those series main knocks are just that they aren't Japanese, which is a pretty dumb knock to begin with. Feels like we gotta get a few of them in.

The 3rd need I think is reps from non console games. The 2 contenders obviously being pc and mobile games. While im not a huge fan of mobile games for the obvious reasons, PC gaming is pretty huge now and deserves some looks for characters. Series like League of Legends and companies like Steam have the pedigree to get in, so why not? Its not exactly a full crossover if we leave them out

Sorry for the rushed paragraphs. At work but still want to get this in

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Another good name would be Super Smash Bros Legacy
Read this, it should catch you up
Hello potential developer!
Welcome to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Sequel Project - now known as Super Smash Bros. Infinite! We are very excited to see that you have expressed interest in joining our project. Here are some FAQs regarding our project:

Is this actually going to be a fan game?
Unfortunately, this is just a creative brainstorming project. We are only coming up with ideas on how this game will function, what characters it will have, and how different it will be from its predecessor, Ultimate.

Cool! How do I submit a character/stage/assist trophy/etc.?
This project is run on a job-by-job basis. This means that the thread creator, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom or the Executive Assistants, ( Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , @Mr. Robotto, Krookodilian Krookodilian Krookodilian Krookodilian , and airConditioner airConditioner airConditioner airConditioner ) will be providing prompts regularly for us developers to answer. These prompts can range from specific (Submit a Halloween Themed character) to vague (Suggest a new first-party franchise for our next character). Once some time has passed after the prompt is given, we will vote on the suggestions, with the winning suggestion(s) making it to the final game. This means that we won't have the opportunity to suggest characters/stages/etc. until the prompt itself is given to us. Furthermore, when we do add characters, keep in mind that we try to keep the newcomers different. For example, after having Jill & Leon as our Game Awards newcomers, we were unable to submit Officer Howard as our next newcomer because they would be too similar (anime cop with a gun that kills otherworldly monsters). This doesn't mean that you would not be able to suggest them again later, it just means we can't have two similar characters back to back. Again, we will have specific times to suggest characters, so please hold onto your ideas for then!

What about Spirits and Music?
As with other parts of the game, we will be submitting spirits on a case-by-case basis, in order to account for the work our Spirit Team does. The two main times we will submit spirits will be after a new character is revealed and when a spirit event is made. Spirit events are week long submissions that are themed around a particular... theme. This can be things like holidays, such as Easter, genres, such as fighting games, to more abstract concepts, like inanimate objects. We do have set rules, about submitting spirits, however. During spirit events, we will only accept 3 submissions per user and each submission is approved based on the discretion of the Spirit Team. Some examples of spirits that will be rejected are real life hardware, such as gaming consoles and accessories, spirits with no official art, and spirits that will increase the age rating. Additionally, when submitting spirits, it is highly encouraged to follow the format listed below to provide the Spirits Team with the information required to add them to the wiki.
In terms of music, we have a document on the main page. Music will be added periodically to prevent the document from filling up too fast. Each universe has a cap number, such as 40, that will be the maximum number of allowed songs. Additionally, this cap will be capped by a second, temporary cap, so you it is presented as 15/40. This means that of the 40 songs that will be added throughout the project's lifespan, only 15 will be accepted at the moment. This cap is raised every so often, and the maximum may be increased by adding a stage/character to the project later on. Like with spirits, we will be accepting music on a case-by-case basis. Songs that have difficulty negotiating for, songs with little to no relation with Nintendo or the characters in the project, or series with too many songs will be removed. Fan remixes are allowed, provided you give credit.

Wait, a wiki?
Yeah, we have a cool wiki. You'll find almost everything related to the project on this site.

That's about all I can think of for the project right now! Please enjoy your stay and we look forward to working with you!

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
I posted my initial thoughts yesterday with my spirit dump but I'll expand on them a bit more here.

I just want to start off by recognizing that there are arguments for basically every third party's inclusion is smash, and most of them are valid. If Smash started as a crossover of companies instead of only focusing on nintendo, I wager most of these would have been in by know. With that out of the way, I'll blitz through some iconic faces which would probably be in if it weren't such a Nintendo centered game and there were unlimited slots. Rayman, Doom Guy, Master Chief, Sora, Agumon, Heihachi, Lloyd/Yuri, Jack Frost, Black Mage, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, Phoenix Wright, Conker, Battletoads, Ryu Hayabusa, Bomberman, Bill/Lance, Crono, Lara Croft, Slime, Layton, Jibanyan, Klonoa, Monster Hunter, and the list could really go on forever. Notable indies also include Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans/Frisk, Cuphead, Quote, Reimu, Zagreus, and countless others. With that out of the way, I'll expand more on the first parties which I think are missing.

Dixie Kong - The third member of the DK crew may just be the most glaring omission, not only in our roster, but also Ultimate's. Although the Donkey Kong series is not as large as it used to be, overall the Donkey Kong Country series is one of nintendo's highest selling series. Additionally, unlike some of Nintendo's platformer series (sorry Kirby), the Donkey Kong Country games are also regarded as some of the best platformers of all time. Dixie's also a prominent female protagonist, which is always a plus. She was planned for Brawl, showing she was even considered by Sakurai. Finally, by the looks of things we'll be included Funky Kong as an echo at some point down the line, and personally I'd rather include Dixie before Funky.

Geno - While some will debate on whether or not he was the most important rpg character since sliced bread, or a completely irrelevant one time appearing spin off mario character, its undeniable that Geno is the largest request from the smash fanbase still not included in the thread. While the Geno community isn't as large right now as in previous times, its large support bases during Brawl and Ultimate DLC, as well as Legend spirit, Mii Costume, and recognition from Sakurai all make him an essential part of smash history. While I'm almost entirely neutral on his inclusion it would feel strange to have a discussion about most wanteds without mentioning Geno.

Zelda Rep - I don't think I need to explain myself too much here, but the Zelda series is long overdue for another rep. Nintendo's second biggest fully owned series hasn't gotten a new rep since Brawl, or even Melee if you consider Toon Link a spiritual successor to Young Link which I personally do. On top of that, all six of the current Zelda fighters are triforce users, which while I enjoy all of them, does feel like we're missing out on the rest of the Zelda cast. While I imagine we'll only be including one Zelda character if we do include one, personally I think the roster could handle two. My top picks for a Zelda newcomer would be Skull Kid or Midna & Wolf Link, but really any non triforce fighter (besides a champion because I can't see Nintendo choosing one over the other three) would fulfill the Zelda sized hole in the smash roster.

Chibi Robo - Hard to say much about the status of his series after zip lash (ew), but he does have an amiibo. Seems to be the next in line old IP to be included to smash fans, not completely sure why though, as that are lots of other IP's like Advance Wars to take a rep from. I personally Love Chibi Robo though so no complaints here.

Officer Howard - One of Nintendo's newest IP's which sold reasonably well for a new IP as I understand. Also lends themselves to a unique moveset with the Legions. We've also got some megafans in the thread so I think this is more a when and not an if for this project.

There were a lot of other characters I could have discussed, although I'm of the opinion that most first party characters at this point are icing on the cake, as opposed to truly missing from the roster. I do hope we include some of these later down the line in the project, although If this were a real smash game I would more than gladly take our current roster. Looking forward to future newcomer jobs!

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Keeping it simple, to me, it’s Phoenix Wright, Frisk, Shovel Knight, and Quote. However, the one character who I feel truly deserves a spot is Toad. Not captain toad, just Toad. Toad’s been playable way more than Rosalina, yet she gets in for some dumb reason.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Aside from my rant about wanting more unorthodox fighters, the only thing I think we truly need is a new Zelda rep or two. The series hasn't gotten a unique newcomer since 2001. There hasn't been a unique Zelda rep added to Smash in my lifetime. Midna, Skull Kid, Guardian, take your pick. Just... not another Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I agree with Peridot, Zelda is the series that has the most Glaring omissions.

Franchises like Chibi-robo or Advanced wars, while they were big for a time are only as big as they once were only in the eyes of Hardcore Nintendo fans, not really the general public. Now this project is made by Nintendo fans so the intent is much different then if we were actually creating a game to be published.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have been updating the front page to be less cluttered and more streamlined and easier to read. I saw discussion regarding Slime and Jack Frost and they have been made as Smash Dungeon enemies so they are technically unable to become fighters.

I also want to let people know that DJ Octavio skins will be ending soon. Once they end, we will be incorporating them into his palette with some tweaking while adding the remaining ones that were decided upon by the Leadership Team. We will present the list to the thread once we get it down.

Discussion will wrap up in about six hours and we will proceed to submit and vote on further content.

As for characters that I feel, at this point, should really be included:

a) Krystal: She has had such a fraught history with Smash that including her really would seem a bit odd considering just how popular she is despite her glaring omissions in recent Star Fox games.
b) Dixie Kong: Even more so then Krystal, Dixie Kong seems to be numero uno is the potential characters to see be included in the next Smash game. The fact she is absent in Ultimate raises questions to me; even if she is rendered as an echo.
c) Skull Kid (I would be done for literally any Zelda character but Skull Kid, IMO, has both the history and relevance to be included as well as that connection to Smash. Aside from perhaps the Four Champions, I think Skull Kid has one of them ore interest moveset potential.
d) Mach Rider/Ayumi Tachibana/Lip: These get included so often that its hard to argue against them. It's obviously Smash fans find them important enough to include them and their connection to Smash and Sakurai's personal attachment to them is extremely noteworthy.
e) Bamco Rep: At this point, I severely question our ability to vote with unbiased opinions if we don't add a Bamco Rep. I know someone could say "But Venus, just make a Bamco Rep job submission." However, third party characters are a bit different story and I do want to give our participants a bit more control what sort of companies and franchises that we work with.
f) Sonic 2nd Rep: Currently, Doctor Eggman is waiting in line just in case if Crash is revealed for Fighter Pass 2. If we get Crash, Doctor Eggman will rectroactively replace Crash as our third party E3 reveal as he got the third most votes and, since Jill and Leon were both voted in, we disqualified a second Capcom candidate for the launch game. I feel we will be adding Doctor Eggman at sometime but Knuckles and Tails would be perfect substitures.

Honestly, these are my feelings in regards to out content. Aside from Skull Kid, none of them are characters I actively want to see be included in Smash or my most wanted but I do think they are characters that would complete Smash/benefit being included/benefit the game being included/deserve to be included. If you were to ask about who I truly, 100% want to see be included in Infinite, my list would look very weird with content like Paper Boy, Scorpion, Sol Badguy, Battletoads, James Bond, the Sims, and Pete from Harvest Moon. I still stand by that, besides Isaac, Crash, and Takamaru, none of the characters we have in Inifinite are ones I strongly support. We even managed to add boring and over-liked character whose name I refuse to repeat...

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
It may sound stupid but I think since the last job was a heavyweight first party I think the next job should be a lightweight third party character, preferably for Sly Cooper or Zero

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
For 1st parties, I don't think there are any must haves left. The only one I feel was a definite must have would be Waluigi due to the backlash of him staying an assist trophy in SSBU. I don't think anyone else is at the same level that KKR, Ridley, or Little Mac were at. There are no other specific characters that fit the category.

In terms of broad concepts, a Zelda rep would have to be there. LOZ is like the 2nd or 3rd most important Nintendo franchise, but if you only knew of the series from Smash(somehow) you'd never know that. I think I kinda get it, due to how many one-off's there are and you're always playing as Link. Skull Kid and Impa are both popular and important characters that would make fans happy. The success of Animal Crossing: New Horizons could mean that a new AC rep would be a good idea.

3rd parties is much tougher to discuss, since it's mostly just people pushing for their favorite 3rd party games. I think I have a pretty decent argument for a LoL rep, but IDK if that's just bias towards the game talking. A full Sony rep would make sense too

EDIT: Forgot to add that I think Rising Stars has a lot more to talk about
EDIT 2: Added Sony and Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
For 1st parties, I don't think there are any must haves left. The only one I feel was a definite must have would be Waluigi due to the backlash of him staying an assist trophy in SSBU. I don't think anyone else is at the same level that KKR, Ridley, or Little Mac were at. There are no other specific characters that fit the category.

In terms of broad concepts, a Zelda rep would have to be there. LOZ is like the 2nd or 3rd most important Nintendo franchise, but if you only knew of the series from Smash(somehow) you'd never know that. I think I kinda get it, due to how many one-off's there are and you're always playing as Link. Skull Kid and Impa are both popular and important characters that would make fans happy.

3rd parties is much tougher to discuss, since it's mostly just people pushing for their favorite 3rd party games. I think I have a pretty decent argument for a LoL rep, but IDK if that's just bias towards the game talking.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I think Rising Stars has a lot more to talk about
I do think a sony rep would be the next step, feels right, would you agree

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well there are certainly a bunch of must haves for me, I guess I'll just list them.

Dixie Kong - Obviously from being one of the forbidden 7 and a major character in one of DK's biggest series, she does seem like one of those big 1st Party requests along with Dee and Waluigi that routinely tops most wanted polls among 1st Parties.
Impa - Zelda desperately needs another rep and Impa is a major story important character in the series that has been there from the start.
Krystal - she's been such a popular request and I feel sorry for her fans that she's been excluded from the recent games, but we've seen other characters be added from prominent fan demand and she really did used to be one of the giants.
Toad - Probably bar none the biggest Nintendo character not added yet. Really is shocking for a series called Nintendo All Stars not to have one of the most iconic characters in its roster, and a character that has made plenty of playable appearances in other major series no less. (Also he'd come with a Toadette alt in my view, who is once again another major character in the series).
Advance Wars - With 8 Fire Emblem characters, it's important to remember the series that was responsible for bringing over Fire Emblem to the west in the first place, even moreso than Melee. This series has had around a dozen entries on multiple Nintendo consoles dating back to the Famicom, it mostly released on the same systems as Fire Emblem all the way until the DS. I think this series at least series some playable characters for how big it used to be.

There are plenty of other characters I could blitz through, but there are so many 3rd Parties that I'd probably be here all day if I sat down to write a description for everyone.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Here are some character must haves.

Geno - Geno probably had the longest and loudest vocal fan base in Smash history, starting back in Melee and exploding in Brawl. Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Issac, Waluigi have all gotten in. The only one that really seems to be missing in that field is Geno. Even after every deconfirmation, Geno fans continue to survive in large numbers to this day.

Another Horror Rep - we have Jill and Leon as survivors, but no roster representation for the fear/monster. In horror games, it’s important to have the survivor that you see in their shoes (check) and the element that gives fear. There are many possible characters that could feel the role perfectly. Resident Evil and Silent Hill had a rivalry with each other back in the 2000s. Five Night’s at Freddy’s was a huge worldwide trend that is still active. Dead by Daylight seems to be becoming the Smash of the horror genre.

Scorpion - Mortal Kombat is known by many as one of the best and most iconic fighting game series of all time, on a level like Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat has definitely made an impact with gaming, even helping create the ESRB. Smash also has characters from Street Fighter and SNK, it only makes sense to keep going bigger. Scorpion is the iconic mascot character of Mortal Kombat (not main hero of story) and be more recognizable to fans and outsiders of the series. Scorpion without blood and gore has been done before: like in Injustice, Mortal Kombat vs DC, and SNES Mortal Kombat.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Rather than top characters I like to have top archetypes, both in fighting style and appearance

Sony Rep (Sly, Rachet):kind of obvious if we are doing a fanmade smash thread we should have the opportunity to put in characters normal smash dosnt have
Undead (Plant and Zombie, Hisen Ko): I like undead characters, they bring some black comedy and unique and creepy fighting styles other characters cant have
Staff Users (Sly, Goimon) a barely addressed archetype, Staff users have the advantages of being a good zone fighter and melee fighter, basically the best of both worlds
Robots (Zero, Virtual Boy): like Undead characters, Robots have advantages in unique movesets other more traditional characters dont have

Those are the archetypes I would personally want in smash, with some examples to gives some ideas

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like there's a couple genres that are in need of proper representation. Namely, puzzle games (Not counting Dr. Mario), visual novels/point-and-click adventure, FPS, and shoot-em-ups. I feel the last one is especially notable (And not just because my most-wanted fits squarely in that category), because it's a staple of the arcade scene and is referenced a couple times in other games - Including Smash itself, via SSBU's Classic Mode credits, but has only been represented by ATs and items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom