• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ROB Color Submission:

Wii/Wii U Colors (White/Gray)

His body would be White & Gray colored with Blue Neons in Eyes and some parts like his stand. In his Stand Legs, instead of NES/Famicom, it will say Wii (Although it has blue neons to represent Wii U).

Toon Link Color alt. Submittion:

Minish Cap

Toon Link could be the same as Default Toon Link, but he will have Minish Cap as interactive alt and during taunts, the Cap would do something like in Games.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think SoulCalibur is a nice middle ground between bringing in a new series and not going too out-there with either mechanics or series. Plus, it’s a nice departure from the Buffguy McFisto that has made up the fighting game department so far. I’m not voting this time because I don’t care either way but I’m sure it’ll be a fun choice to wrap our moveset creative brains around

Toon Link Color: Niko

4ED08FD0-B09E-4CC8-AE04-640B23A1C1FF.png 0B5EC84B-6DD1-4C65-BD67-39ABB38D3012.png
A more streamlined version of his recolor in Hyrule Warriors, based on Niko the Pirate from Wind Waker. His cap turns blue, his hair a slightly more greenish blonde, and his tunic turns red while his undershirt turns white. His pants turn cyan and his boots turn dark blue. His belt turns black with a white symbol. Niko is one of the more recurring side characters in the Toon-saga, appearing in Wind Waker, then appears in Phantom Hourglass as the narrator in the opening. He even returns in Spirit Tracks one-hundred years later, where he has his own sidequest of stamp collecting, which can give the new generation Toon Link the old Wind Waker tunic if completed.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
ROB: Nav-Com colours

Based on Nav-Com of StarTropics fame, this is a throwback to a Nintendo cult fave to go alongside ROB's EVE alt as a Western counterpart (the red alt is supposed to be EVE, right?)

Toon Link: Engineer Colours
Red is also based on the Virtual Boy but purple is obviously the main color of the GameCube too so it works both ways

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so I guess it's time to put in my 2 cents on our current selection, it's definitely... uh... interesting. Let me just preface this with the fact that I do outright either love or moderately like all of these characters (except for Bob, he can burn in hell). But I'm gonna be 100% honest about my feelings on their possible inclusions here in a possible Smash sequel.
  • Blazblue (Ragna/Noel) - Alright, look. I know I jokingly give Blazblue a lot of crap in my casual daily life, most people on the internet know me as the dude that would spam "cringebue" or "fartblue" whenever the topic is brought up, but I do honestly like this series a ton. Whenever I wasn't up for Accent Core, Blazblue would be my airdash fighter fix. And yet, this entire scenario is still the one thing that plagues Blazblue's chances in Smash for me. Blazblue will always live in the shadow of Guilty Gear, and that's just how it always has been. In fact, It's a well-known secret that Blazblue solely existed as a temporary replacement for Guilty Gear. For those unaware, in its early years, Guilty Gear was owned by Sammy Corporation, who is now a part of SEGA. ArcSys was indeed the developer but they wouldn't obtain the intellectual property for themselves until 2011, or at least they didn't own most of it. Which is why during that period they created Blazblue: Calamity Trigger, the first Blazblue entry, solely to fill in the shoes that Guilty Gear left behind. Anyone who has played both can confirm that Blazblue was designed to be heavily similar to Guilty Gear. You got your gatling combos, your Dead Angle/Counter Assault, your Faultless Defense/Barrier Block, your Bursts, etc... You literally have characters that look like clear-cut copies of their Guilty Gear counterparts: Ragna and Jin are literally just Sol and Ky, Tager is Potemkin, Bang is Chipp, etc... And once Guilty Gear started taking off again for ArcSys, they closed off Blazblue. Don't get me wrong, this is not supposed to be a bad thing. ArcSys just wanted to make Guilty Gear again, without using Guilty Gear, and they were able to do this by making Blazblue, and that's amazing. But I'm just going to end this history lesson by asking a simple question: who do you think would be in Smash first: the current-popular original airdash fighting game that boomed the genre into the spotlight recently, or the game that only served to fill in the shoes of its predecessor while they were away?
I honestly wonder how different things would've been if we were still in BlazBlue's heyday. From what I can gather, during the time it was made Guilty Gear was in a lull and just got a bunch of GGXX ports churned out. At the time BlazBlue was considered the big thing and Guilty Gear was off to the side. It's just that by the time Smash speculation actually expanded to the point ArcSys could be considered as viable, BlazBlue's main story had wrapped up and Guilty Gear had made a comeback, so we look back on it in hindsight and go "Yeah, Guilty Gear's the real deal" because it's older and currently more relevant as of current.

It's just interesting to think about.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm gonna be frank here, and as far as realism goes: Crazy Dave and Grovyle/Celebi are already iffy enough, especially as base game picks. For the love of God, leave those weird submissions for actual fangames.

I realize this is a community project and all that, but if we're wanting to be even a little realistic, picks like Arcuid, Merkava, and Bob just don't cut it.

I urge you to vote Sol, Iori, Geese, Heihachi, Nightmare, Noel, Sophitia, or Ragna.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'm gonna be frank here, and as far as realism goes: Crazy Dave and Grovyle/Celebi are already iffy enough, especially as base game picks. For the love of God, leave those weird submissions for actual fangames.

I realize this is a community project and all that, but if we're wanting to be even a little realistic, picks like Arcuid, Merkava, and Bob just don't cut it.

I urge you to vote Sol, Iori, Geese, Heihachi, Nightmare, Noel, Sophitia, or Ragna.
You’re taking bob from tekken way too seriously lmao

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Wolf's Recolor
Brawl Original (White)

Honestly, there's not much material to pull from Star Fox considering there's only a few character that actually show their full body and not just a head not to mention the ones that doesn't share a color scheme, it doesn't help at all that the Star Fox character change the color of their outfit entirely and not just their jumpsuit. So can we maybe submit an original color, not for me obviously?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I’d like to give a shout-out to Kasumi Dead or Alive. Yes, Ryu Hayabusa is the better pick but I don’t think we should hold all Koei Tecmo reps hostage before we get around to adding Hayabusa. Whether Dead or Alive is worthwhile as a pick, ask someone who knows more about fighting games but we can add the proverbial Rosalina before the Toad. I’m sure Smash has examples of turning the order of business around a little.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

This isn't a speculative game though, it's us making our own game that we want.

If we want Bob, we get Bob. If we want Merkava, we get Merkava. If you want realistic, wait for the real Smash 7.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I’d like to give a shout-out to Kasumi Dead or Alive. Yes, Ryu Hayabusa is the better pick but I don’t think we should hold all Koei Tecmo reps hostage before we get around to adding Hayabusa. Whether Dead or Alive is worthwhile as a pick, ask someone who knows more about fighting games but we can add the proverbial Rosalina before the Toad. I’m sure Smash has examples of turning the order of business around a little.
Sad truth is that people probably don't know much about KT history other than Fatal Frame and Ninja Gaiden who's status has been falling in recent time, Hayabusa is just a case of "addition because of nostalgia" which works every single time, just look at Mega Man and Simon, sucks because they have other amazing series that while isn't memorable is a big franchise overall like Warriors and Atelier.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Sad truth is that people probably don't know much about KT history other than Fatal Frame and Ninja Gaiden who's status has been falling in recent time, Hayabusa is just a case of "addition because of nostalgia" which works every single time, just look at Mega Man and Simon, sucks because they have other amazing series that while isn't memorable is a big franchise overall like Warriors and Atelier.
I was definitely thinking of Atelier and Fatal Frame when the idea of other Koei reps came up. I'd love to see characters like these, who don't traditionally fight with physical strength, but combat their own enemies in their own unique way. Dynasty Warriors is also very huge and I feel like it deserved a mention as well, although the fact that the characters are based on actual historical figures makes their case a bit more complicated in my opinion.

Another Koei game that would be awesome to see would be Nioh, I definitely feel like we'll have to venture into Soulslikes at one point, though again here comes the issue of the protagonist of the first game being based on an actual historical figure... I do wonder how we'll go about it when we'll tackle this issue.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I was definitely thinking of Atelier and Fatal Frame when the idea of other Koei reps came up. I'd love to see characters like these, who don't traditionally fight with physical strength, but combat their own enemies in their own unique way. Dynasty Warriors is also very huge and I feel like it deserved a mention as well, although the fact that the characters are based on actual historical figures makes their case a bit more complicated in my opinion.

Another Koei game that would be awesome to see would be Nioh, I definitely feel like we'll have to venture into Soulslikes at one point, though again here comes the issue of the protagonist of the first game being based on an actual historical figure... I do wonder how we'll go about it when we'll tackle this issue.
Eh, not really I've said it many times that DW and to an extent SW fall in the same category as Dracula and that it's an intepretation of a public domain story, and for DW it's mostly takes inspiration from the novel Romance of the Three Kingdom than the historical figure directly and that story is already heavily exaggerated. It's a case of whether or not they want to stay true to the figure they were using which in this case not at all, unlike its parent series "Romance of the Three Kingdom" and something alike like Civilization.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
We have a Buck Bumble Mii costume and multiple instances of Bubsy content.
Yeah, and I think those are equally stupid? Having Amogus content is just as bad too.

That's where the "relatively" part of that sentence came from.

But at the very least, none of that **** is a character or stage. Those are things that, if the game was real, could easily be ignored.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Yeah, and I think those are equally stupid? Having Amogus content is just as bad too.

That's where the "relatively" part of that sentence came from.

But at the very least, none of that **** is a character or stage. Those are things that, if the game was real, could easily be ignored.
One of the first characters we added was Stylist, following the likes of the laughing Duck Hunt dog and the Wii Fit yoga trainer, and the real Smash has stages themed around hiding your DS under the bedsheet and a children's pop-up book

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
One of the first characters we added was Stylist, following the likes of the laughing Duck Hunt dog and the Wii Fit yoga trainer, and the real Smash has stages themed around hiding your DS under the bedsheet and a children's pop-up book
All of which come from actual Nintendo games, which have a completely different pedigree than third party content.

Can you seriously look at generic fat American trucker guy from Tekken and say he's even close to as important as someone like Kazuya, Sora, Cloud Strife, or Ryu and say with a straight face that for any reason that deserves to be playable in Smash Bros, each of whose third party characters included are important in their own right?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
All of which come from actual Nintendo games, which have a completely different pedigree than third party content.

Can you seriously look at generic fat American trucker guy from Tekken and say he's even close to as important as someone like Kazuya, Sora, Cloud Strife, or Ryu and say with a straight face that for any reason that deserves to be playable in Smash Bros, each of whose third party characters included are important in their own right?
literally who said he was just as important as those characters? Smash characters aren’t just about importance and besides probably no one is actually voting for him over those characters. This isn’t a debate about how important bob is it’s a debate about how we think including lesser known characters is legitimate

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
R.O.B. Alt: OLED Switch (White)

If R.O.B. Is going to get a Red And Blue joycon themed alt, it only makes sense to do black and white for the OLED Switch too. Also makes for a fitting alt to use in the EMMI spirit battle. While R.O.B. does have a grey alt, this one would lighten all the light greys, and darken all the dark greys.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
literally who said he was just as important as those characters? Smash characters aren’t just about importance
Plus - some of the third parties in Smash aren't all that important - Banjo, Goemon, and Shantae may have big fanbases, but hey haven't really done much for gaming overall outside of their general genre fandoms. Not to mention all the obscure retro stuff composited into Pac and Terry.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
literally who said he was just as important as those characters? Smash characters aren’t just about importance
Third party content is a different beast than Nintendo stuff. If you're going to bother with licensing rights for a Tekken character, you should be shooting for a character people actual give a **** about. And I've literally never heard or seen anyone who said "yeah my favorite Tekken guy is the fatass American stereotype."

I don't think Yoshimitsu should be top of the chain either but at least he has iconic status being in literally every Tekken and most Soul Calibur games.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would say the ratio between realism and unrealistic for the project is
45% realistic
50% what we want
5% stuff that made it in somehow.

Had I been more active and not traveling half way around the world and dealing with that, I would have prevented Buck Rumble as a costume. Even would have vetoed it for being a bad idea that would come back to haunt me later on.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Plus - some of the third parties in Smash aren't all that important - Banjo, Goemon, and Shantae may have big fanbases, but hey haven't really done much for gaming overall outside of their general genre fandoms. Not to mention all the obscure retro stuff composited into Pac and Terry.
At least they're the main protagonists of their own series?

Also, you're severely underestimating those three in particular.

Shantae's one of the most famous and iconic indie characters around, Banjo is basically a Nintendo character himself and was on most 64 marketting back in the day, and Goemon was a big series for Konami in the 90s - bigger than Metal Gear was, especially in Japan.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
At least they're the main protagonists of their own series?

Also, you're severely underestimating those three in particular.

Shantae's one of the most famous and iconic indie characters around, Banjo is basically a Nintendo character himself and was on most 64 marketting back in the day, and Goemon was a big series for Konami in the 90s - bigger than Metal Gear was, especially in Japan.
Banjo is just - point blank - not a Nintendo character. No ambiguity or doubt, he is Microsoft copyright and therefore under Clippy's wing. He was owned by Nintendo once, but not any more and should not be considered a part of the "Nintendo multiverse" any longer.

Shantae doesn't really have reach outside of general indie and Metroidvania fandom like Cuphead, Sans, or Shovel Knight do outside of indie and R&G/RPG/platformer fandom.

In terms of Goeman, I'm speaking internationally. This isn't really an "especially in Japan" case as much as an "only in Japan" case.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I would say the ratio between realism and unrealistic for the project is
45% realistic
50% what we want
5% stuff that made it in somehow.

Had I been more active and not traveling half way around the world and dealing with that, I would have prevented Buck Rumble as a costume. Even would have vetoed it for being a bad idea that would come back to haunt me later on.
Wait was there a vote that buck bumble won? Because if there was that means people in this thread want him. I don’t see why you would just veto it like that if he won an actual vote

Also Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming I say it again, no one is arguing that bob is the most iconic and best tekken character and I doubt thst many people are really voting for him. People are just saying there is value in adding some weird characters that would make people confused.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Banjo is just - point blank - not a Nintendo character. No ambiguity or doubt, he is Microsoft copyright and therefore under Clippy's wing. He was owned by Nintendo once, but not any more.

Shantae doesn't really have reach outside of general indie and Metroidvania fandom like Cuphead, Sans, or Shovel Knight do outside of indie and R&G/RPG/platformer fandom.

In terms of Goeman, I'm speaking internationally. This isn't really an "especially in Japan" case as much as an "only in Japan" case.
So just because Banjo's owned by Microsoft means we should erase the Nintendo history that made him a popular Smash request in the first place, right?

...Are you even serious about Shantae? She's been around since the GameBoy and all her games are so widely available because people ASK them to be. Then there's those other three which are equally important as mascots of indies. When compared to someone like Octodad or Tim from Braid, what characters pop into your head immediately when someone says "indie"

Goemon - Clearly you haven't seen the niche, yet still relatively large Goemon fandom here. Yeah, he doesn't get as many games anymore, but it used to be almost as prolific as the American Dragon Quest fandom.

I'm not arguing that weird characters shouldn't be included - they absolutely should - but Smash Bros. is a game about gaming icons and Nintendo history together, so just throwing in a D-list Tekken character or some third party indie fighting game character that barely anyone's ever heard of is frankly absurd and, in my opinion, kind of spits on the pedigree that Smash has earned through Sakurai's hard work.

Weird characters that would work well? Waluigi, Rayman, Ring Fit Trainee, Stylist, Professor Layton, Fatal Frame Protagonist - plenty easy to work with, but it should be someone people actually give a damn about. Hell, I'm even gonna give props to one of your own suggestions as a weirdo pick that would work really well, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario - The Amazon.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait was there a vote that buck bumble won? Because if there was that means people in this thread want him. I don’t see why you would just veto it like that if he won an actual vote

Also Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming I say it again, no one is arguing that bob is the most iconic and best tekken character and I doubt thst many people are really voting for him. People are just saying there is value in adding some weird characters that would make people confused.
Buck Bumble is a Mii Costume for Infinite; something that still makes me a bit angry.

When I started this project, I wanted it to be about the community and felt the community could make choices that made the project better than make it more about themselves. I feel that I was proven right in this that we could make choices that was less personal and more for the whole group. And we also made choices that were for the lols or for personal gain/desire.

That’s the issue with this sort of set up that, while obviously a Galarian Pokemon would be more realistic, the thread didn’t want that and instead wanted to go a different route. This is fine because the basis of the thread isn’t 101% realistic.

I will say honestly I disagreed with a lot of the choices the thread made but not once have I tried to stop something from going through just as long as it remain true to the prompts and true to the spirit of the thread. Buck Bumble was one of those instances where I felt that we chose the lols/memes over what was sensible and accurate.

But it is what it is. If people want to submit something that’s for lols/memes/their own personal desire; that’s fine. Yes, it does take some votes away from character who are deserving/appropriate for that prompt but that’s how things are. I could veto submissions and votes that stray even a little bit from the prompt but that wouldn’t be in the spirit of the thread. I have to honor every submission as long as it lines up with the prompt that was put forth; even if I hate it.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay ye “shantae, banjo and goemon” thing wasn’t brought up because
I'm not arguing that weird characters shouldn't be included - they absolutely should - but Smash Bros. is a game about gaming icons and Nintendo history together, so just throwing in a D-list Tekken character or some third party indie fighting game character that barely anyone's ever heard of is frankly absurd and, in my opinion, kind of spits on the pedigree that Smash has earned through Sakurai's hard work.
I think adding characters that push the boundaries of what smash has, is, and can include isn’t disrespectful at all to the legacy of the series

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Buck Bumble is a Mii Costume for Infinite; something that still makes me a bit angry.

When I started this project, I wanted it to be about the community and felt the community could make choices that made the project better than make it more about themselves. I feel that I was proven right in this that we could make choices that was less personal and more for the whole group. And we also made choices that were for the lols or for personal gain/desire.

That’s the issue with this sort of set up that, while obviously a Galarian Pokemon would be more realistic, the thread didn’t want that and instead wanted to go a different route. This is fine because the basis of the thread isn’t 101% realistic.

I will say honestly I disagreed with a lot of the choices the thread made but not once have I tried to stop something from going through just as long as it remain true to the prompts and true to the spirit of the thread. Buck Bumble was one of those instances where I felt that we chose the lols/memes over what was sensible and accurate.

But it is what it is. If people want to submit something that’s for lols/memes/their own personal desire; that’s fine. Yes, it does take some votes away from character who are deserving/appropriate for that prompt but that’s how things are. I could veto submissions and votes that stray even a little bit from the prompt but that wouldn’t be in the spirit of the thread. I have to honor every submission as long as it lines up with the prompt that was put forth; even if I hate it.
Then here's an alternative to just letting such stuff fly: Allow the community to vote to veto submissions before they go through. That way, you don't have stupid stuff like that going through in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom