• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #265 (I forgot to count): Submit a new DLC Freenium Mode

Previously, Ultimate released new modes in conjunction with dlc patches. We are going to do just that by adding a new mode with one of our dlc patches. This mode shouldn’t be a huge groundbreak mode but should be something to somewhat enhance the experience. It shouldn’t take up a lot of development time. Please indicate:
  • Game Mode name
  • What does it do
  • Any specifics that goes along with it
  • When it will release (DLC 2, 3, or 4)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job 265:

OVERKILL SMASH (一撃必殺スマッシュ)

HOW TO PLAY:

Overkill Smash is a simple minigame inspired by videos like this:
And the Megaton Punch minigame from Kirby Super Star.

The rules are simple: up to 8 players are given 1 minute to accumulate as much bolstered power as possible through a combat arena that uses all Smash Dungeon enemies. When you kill an enemy, you gain either Spirits that bolster your power, Attack power-ups like those found in Smash Run, and on rare occasions Assist Trophies, PokeBall Pokemon, and Breidablik Heroes that have an attack-bolstering effect on the summoner. The stronger the enemy, the higher the chance to gain a rarer and more powerful boon in your favor. Dying drops a quarter of what you have accumulated throughout the endeavor.

After 1 minute is over, players line up to a large attack machine similar to this:
1647567346336.png

In comparison to the rest of the cast, the Power Gauging Machine has WAY more number digits to its damage meter than any other fighter. In fact, it has 20 digits that go across the screen overall! Each fighter will use their highest-damage attack to gauge how much power they've accumulated, with certain characters with buffs inherent in their kit like Sephiroth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Incineroar having the most optimal of their buffs pre-applied afterward.

The moment that highest-damage attack hits the Power Gauging Machine, something similar to when you knock a Sandbag in Home-Run Contest happens: the raw force of the attack will create a massive One-Punch Man Serious Punch-style turbulence that causes utter havoc to everything behind it, the camera progressively zooming out the more damage you've done to it. Initially, it just rings like a drum at its weakest, but at the utter strongest, the very fabric of the multiverse momentarily shatters before repairing itself near-instantly, and the machine will calculate that attack's potential damage output. The fighter with the highest damage output wins.

For example, this would be a good ranking:
1) Sephiroth: 724,591% Damage
2) Zagreus: 644,182% Damage
3) Octoling: 643,992% Damage
4) Ridley: 559,271% Damage
5) Min Min: 501,885% Damage
6) Reimu: 455,622% Damage
7) Bowser: 438,991% Damage
8) Ike: 299,341% Damage

If you do this minigame Solo, it can be used as a means of building up your GSP just like in Home-Run Contest, with each point of damage granting you a point in GSP. This will be released alongside Agumon, as his Terra Force Final Smash is among the most destructive of the First Smash Season.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hold up, I've got something

Combo Contest
You're given the item-summoning tools and static foe of training mode, a time limit (that doesn't start until you hit), an insane hitstun boost, and are scored by how long the combos you perform with that time are (how many hits, not how much damage) - the biggest score between turn-taking players wins. While there is a CPU you can get to score the combos, you can also get a (group of) player(s) to rank the combos for a more human touch. This can be played on any stage with any fighter

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was racking my brain about an idea but I found one I think would be…

Dazzle Mode

Dazzle Mode is a based of the Japanese purikura or “photo booths” where people take pictures in these booths and then proceed to decorate, stylize, or otherwise bedazzle the photo.

You can take pictures of your battles and gives you further power to dazzle it up with various styles of pens, effects, and stickers including using your Spirits as stickers. We could even update this mode with more content as we continue the DLC.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Maybe I might be starting to be consistent with submitting DLC character ideas. Now, we all patiently await for the first Season 2 newcomer prompt.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Also, I kind of updated out front post. It's still a work in progress. That being said, I am not sure fi anyone submitted Nick's classic mode but....I loved making his though. I intend to keep this one even if we submitted one. Sorry not sorry.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So it looks like we're having two 1st party characters in the game by a landslide in the polls, and I think I might have the strangest, yet most sensible, suggestion in mind when we get around to that job. How well will he do? Well, I'm just gonna have to leave luck to Heaven in that regard.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So it looks like we're having two 1st party characters in the game by a landslide in the polls, and I think I might have the strangest, yet most sensible, suggestion in mind when we get around to that job. How well will he do? Well, I'm just gonna have to leave luck to Heaven in that regard.
I might push for Wii Silicone Jacket.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I understood that reference.

But be careful: if you're allowed to submit Hanafuda, then there's a chance I'll be allowed to submit Captain N...

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
DLC Season 2: Submit a Sony/Playstation Newcomer

Yes, we are kicking things off to a great start by submitting a PlayStation Fighter. Never before have we had such a prompt and, while we have discussed things in the past in regards to submissions, this time we are jumping into it with submissions right off the bat. That being said, we will be doing something different for this job. We will let you know once we get to voting.

Season 2 will have two Western reps and, like before, we will decide on the lineup once we decide them all. That being said, a PlayStation rep can go either way actually. Now, if we do get a Western rep, we will not allow that western rep to take the first newcomer slot for Season 2 to avoid a repeat of Zagreus. We do have a slot saved for a western-based fighter but should we go the western fighter route in this prompt, that western fighter prompt will be substituted for a non-western fighter route. Wait…what’s the other western fighter prompt? You will just have to see!

So, what are the requirements?
  • Can be from a franchise from Sony-affiliated studios
  • Can be from a game that appears only on a Sony PlayStation console but from a company like Square or Konami.
  • The series must be relatively popular and/or iconic to warrant an inclusion. I’m not talking iconic in a “meme”-sort of way. We are looking for a character rep the the Sony brand and history. Not a character for lulz.
  • This character should be seen as representing Sony as our first Sony fighter in history and also marking a huge departure in newcomer formula as Smash hasn’t ever included a character that has yet to appear in a Nintendo console. Joker eventually did but we will be including a character (possibly) that has yet to. This character needs to be emblematic of that.
  • Namco is not allowed due to Agumon. We will allow Namco later on however but not for now.
  • Now, it’s ok if this charqcter/franchise appeared on a Nintendo console but must be seen historically or presently as a bonified Sony character if not owned by Sony directly. That being said, we won’t allow a third party character outside of Sony who appeared on multiple consoles (aka Nightmare (SC), 2B (NieR), etc)

Please provide a picture, name, series, and why this character should be included as a representative of Sony’s history, present, and future.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
HELL YEAH, now we're talking with the same language! Pardon me as this was straight borrowed from my previous attempt with added stuff, but considering how quotes doesn't work when replied from an another user, I had to write them all there again.

(sighs in relief) Now that takes many of us back to the 2000's, including myself. There's many nostalgic games in this console we all grew up with as a young kid, like Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom Hearts, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, maybe Grand Theft Auto and God of War when we're old enough. And most of all, the topic of this submission, so it's time to rip ourselves a new one with the two and only...

Sony/PlayStation Newcomer - Ratchet and Clank/Rivet and Kit

Franchise: Ratchet & Clank
First Game: Ratchet & Clank (November 4th, 2002)
Console Debut: PlayStation 2
Companies: Sony Interactive Entertainment (publisher) and Insomniac Games (developer; also known for Spyro the Dragon and a Marvel universe with Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Wolverine)

Who are Ratchet and Clank/Rivet and Kit?

Ratchet & Clank is one of Sony's flagship franchises on their PlayStation console brand, created and developed by Insomniac Games since it's debut on PlayStation 2 in November 4th, 2002. The series focuses on 3D action platforming gameplay (akin to fellow "collectathon" games, Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie) with third-person shooting elements, following science fiction-based adventures of the eponymous intergalactic adventurer duo, Ratchet (a young Lombax mechanic and pilot, who lived in Veldin) and Clank (a sentient Zoni robot, who was deemed "defective" and ran away from Quartu) as they travel through the Solana Galaxy, saving it from evil forces that consistently threaten it, such as villains like Doctor Nefarious (their arch-enemy), Chairman Alonzo Drek, Courtney Gears (her theme), Gleeman Vox, Otto Destruct, Luna (yes, a little girl is evil), Emperor Percival Tachyon, Captain Angstrom Darkwater and Romulus Slag, with the help of various allies like Captain Qwark, Big Al, Angela Cross (in Going Commando), Sasha Phyronix, Merc and Green (in Deadlocked), Talwyn Apogee, Cronk & Zephyr, Alister Azimuth (in A Crack in Time), Rusty Pete, etc.

Debuting in the franchise's recent/latest installment which was released exclusively on PlayStation 5 in June 11th, 2021, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Rivet and Kit are the alternate dimension counterparts of a titular duo themselves. A Lombax just like Ratchet, Rivet grew up on Sargasso and joined the Resistance movement along with Captain Quantum and Phantom, going against the tyrannical Emperor Nefarious until she lost her right arm when a warbot (who is later revealed to be Kit, who went into exile from the army due to her power) blasted it off, later building herself a new robotic arm and since became wary of robots, before meeting Clank when he was separated from Ratchet following the Dimensionator's destruction by Doctor Nefarious, and later teamed up with a duo to help them stop the dimensional cataclysm, forgiving Kit (upon finding out) for her past actions and the two became partners.

Why They Deserve to be in Smash Over Others?

Thanks to it's charm which is full of over-the-top characters, epic story-telling & gameplay, catchy & intense music and wacky, funnily awkward moments (this old animated commercial, some weapons and a whole TV Tropes page also says it all - even for us adults), the franchise itself is so popular that it's titular heroes basically became one of Sony's most consistent, longest-enduring and iconic mascots alongside Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, etc. (Crash was declared one back in the PS1 era while under their ownership), thus appearing in multiple other PlayStation games and crossovers (yes, an Among Us one is real and then there's Fall Guys), even having a manga released in Japan (their games sold very big in the country with "The Best" titles and even has Crash-like changes as demonstrated above, a exclusive PS3 triple pack, bizarre anniversary videos and was the first Western-developed game bundled with a console), a comic book series by DC Comics in 2010, a theatrical feature film in 2016, etc. Ratchet & Clank would also represent a new company, Sony Interactive Entertainment themselves in this case (Microsoft has a fellow platforming mascot duo Banjo & Kazooie, Minecraft's Steve and now in Infinite, Crash Bandicoot himself, after all), and would complete the trio of main, prominent console developers alongside Microsoft and Nintendo.

While there are other Sony characters to pick up from their first-party exclusive library, Ratchet and Clank seems like a strong, logical contender and front-runner because of their popularity even in Japan (as just explained above), Nintendo-like cartoony aesthetics (alongside LittleBigPlanet; considering that most of Sony's still-living IPs, such as God of War, Uncharted and The Last of Us, are more realistic-looking and dark/mature in resemblance & theme/rating respectively; despite Deadlocked's dark tone) and would allow a development team to think ideas from "outside the box" due to how interesting a franchise is and should unironically fit in Smash very well, as explained below. I mean, Sony gave Epic Games permission to use Kratos and Aloy in Fortnite, even Nathan Drake to promote the Uncharted film, with all skins being usable in other consoles such as Nintendo Switch itself, so they're open to share their IPs to other companies if they want to. In fact, same could even be said with MLB: The Show 22 which was recently revealed for Nintendo Switch, developed by Sony's San Diego Studio from usually a PlayStation-exclusive franchise.

These facts alone, especially the last part, would be worth for a potentially very huge and strong hype-inducing reveal, which may even exceed Joker's reveal back in 2018 (at least in the level of him, Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora or even a Sans costume), considering that all three companies teamed up a few times before with executives showing up together the same year (a legendary moment for our lord, Reggie) and working on making social/online gaming more responsible and safer. And let's not forget how both Sony and Nintendo started the development of the original PlayStation console together, back when it was planned as a CD-ROM add-on for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. You may think at this point: "Console wars are over."

Even Masahiro Sakurai himself likes PlayStation itself, having a PS1 Classic Mini and & six PS3 and PS4s, one of them being the latter's Pro model on his console collection and played over 240 games in 2019. He even shared his thoughts of their newest console, PlayStation 5 and also highly recommended Astro's Playroom, which is a huge, all-encompassing love letter/tribute to it's history (which also include Ratchet & Clank as a easter egg/cameo in Turbo Trail, the first stage of SSD Speedway, a world based on PlayStation 2). After all, Sakurai said a few times before that Smash is more of a "celebration of gaming" rather than being just about Nintendo's IPs themselves.

In case anyone's still questioning all of this, let me tell you about rivals promoting each other's consoles:
Two years back before Banjo-Kazooie was ported to Nintendo Switch as part of a Nintendo 64 line-up for Nintendo Switch Online's expansion pack, during a duo's presentation stream in September 2019, Sakurai told watchers/Nintendo fans that if they want to play the original game itself, they should try it with Xbox One, which made Xbox trending on Twitter in Japan after a stream.

How They Would Work?

Of course, this isn't their first time in a platform fighting game, since they once appeared in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, which was released on PlayStation 3 and Vita in 2012, so they can be easily translated to Smash. They also have a VERY HUGE moveset potential thanks to LOTS OF crazy, unique weapons and gadgets besides Ratchet's signature OmniWrench, which he uses as a melee/boomerang-like weapon, wall-jumping, floating in the air with Clank's Heli-Pack, using Swingshot for a tether recovery-grab, Hoverboots in their full dash animation akin to Banjo & Kazooie's Talon Trot, Phantom Dash via Omniglove as a dodge and using either their most powerful and badassest weapon, R.Y.N.O. (especially it's upgrade, R.Y.N.O. Xtreme from the 2016 reboot, complete with 1812 Overture from A Crack in Time playing in the background - pretty much their own counterpart of Doomguy/Doom Slayer's BFG 9000), their spaceship (Aphelion in the R&C Future trilogy released on PlayStation 3) or Clank's giant form in their Final Smash, allowing for multiple playstyle/mechanic possibilities (check @BirthNote's sketches of both) with a weapon switch/upgrade gimmick and maybe even the Groovitron (maybe a special victory pose with teammates also dancing as a random disco song plays in the background?) and Mr. Zurkon (with unique quotes towards other fighters) as their taunts.

Besides, we need more duo fighters since there's only like four of them (Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt Duo and Banjo & Kazooie themselves). And also, who wants to bring a wrench to a gunfight? (intentional reference)

Considering their identical controls/movesets in Rift Apart, Rivet and Kit themselves (using a hammer instead of OmniWrench, Glide Boots for hovering and a warbot mode in place of Giant Clank) would also possibly join in as their alternate costumes alongside slightly altered animations and different taunts/victory poses (such as dance moves; besides various armors and skins normally instead of palettes). And speaking of content representation, there's dozens of materials to pick up for stage (like Kerwan, which appeared in a few games), music (a soundtrack is so GODDAMN good, so take both a good listen and advice from videos below! - imagine a banger remix of Metropolis in a reveal trailer and this as their victory theme over the results screen similarly to Cloud's), assist trophy, item, boss and spirit possibilties in forthcoming jobs/prompts. Maybe even bring up other Sony-owned PlayStation franchises for additional content like Mii costumes and spirits?

And congratulations to everyone, who managed to read this whole post (hopefully every part of this long-written research with passion and emotions paid off), so remember this! (fans revived the online multiplayer support itself with even a Discord server - Epic stole from us)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
PaRappa the Rapper

Debuting in 1996, PaRappa the Rapper is a game about a young pup who learns a variety of skills to outclass a bragadocious billionaire and win the love of his crush, the (literal) flower Sunny Funny. The first true rhythm game, it's influence can be seen in some form - in or directly - in every rhythm game since, and while it's been a hot minute since the last PaRappa adventure, the character lives in through nostalgia; memes; and merchandise projects alike.

Why should PaRappa be in Smash?
As mentioned in the opening paragraph, PaRappa the Rapper was THE FIRST true rhythm game. This makes him a great pick to represent Sony as one of their biggest contributions to the gaming industry - additionally, PaRappa has a large fandom to this day, with fan communties being highly active and not being exclusive to PlayStation fans thanks to the series' music and graphics being the primary source of fandom rather than gameplay. PaRappa merchandise is still released frequently and the character is recognisable even to post-PS2 generations - his most recent anime having ended in 2017! He previously appeared in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale as one of the first fighters announced and thus will be familiar with platform fighter fans.

How would PaRappa fight?
PaRappa has already appeared in a fighting game: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, where he took the role of the beginner shoto fighter - using karate skills for lights, skateboard slams for strongs, and musical equipment for specials. PaRappa doesn't need to be a simple fighter however, we could give him a gimmick (the ever famous U Rappin' meter, which punishes bad play and rewards good could be a good place to start) - and let's not forget the variety of hobbies and jobs PaRappa has had - in the 3 games PaRappa appears in, he has done the following:

1. Learned karate
  2. Drove a car
  3. Worked at a flea market
  4. Cooking seafood cake
  5. Performed a concert
  6. Put out a fire
  7. Looked after babies
  8. Piloted a plane
  9. Cut down a tree
  10. Went to Hell(!)
  11. Made burgers
  12. Watched a TV show labled "strictly for adults"
  13. Became giant and tiny
  14. Went for military training
  15. Worked as a hairdresser
  16. Played a magic video game that makes your body reject all food except noodles if you lose
  17. Stopped a takeover by the Noodle Syndicate intent on replacing all food with noodles
Let your imagination go crazy with how all of those can be used in battle. Another thing of note about PaRappa is that he's flat - we could incorporate this into his moveset in many ways, a lighter weight? Flattening onto the ground? Dodging attacks by spinning? self-origami?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1647644281821.png

ALOY

Who is she?
Aloy is the main protagonist of the Horizon duology, a popular open-world video game series made by Dutch Sony-owned studio Guerilla B.V., who has been previously known for their franchise Killzone. Horizon takes place in a distant-future post-apocalyptic Earth overrun by robots and humanity has been reduced back to Native American-style tribes.

Why Aloy?:
Horizon was a recent hit since its release in 2015, praised for many facets, and even nominated for Game of the Year, only losing out to Breath of the Wild that year despite overtaking it in sales. Furthermore, Aloy herself is no stranger to crossovers, having crossed over to Genshin Impact as a playable character, and Fortnite as a skin, both of which have some ties to Nintendo (Fortnite's crossplay allows you to use Kratos on Nintendo Switch, Genshin gave Aloy out to other platforms the update after she was added to the PlayStation version and has plans for a Nintendo Switch port, which still has no release date as of right now.)

Furthermore, Horizon: Forbidden West was released recently to generally favorable reviews, and is currently in stiff competition against Elden Ring. As of right now, it'd make sense for Aloy to be added as a way of promoting Forbidden West. From a creator standpoint, Sakurai himself was rather torn between Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild and called Horizon more "stress-free" when comparing the two.

How would she play?:
While Smash has several characters that use a bow, we don't really have a character who predominantly uses a bow as of right now, and Aloy can fill that niche perfectly. Not only does she have a bow with several trick arrows to use, but she also has several gadgets to use in tandem with using her bow and a Focus Mode that she can use to make more precise shots. This tells me that she could have a zoner-heavy playstyle that's more akin to that of IRL hunters: you need patience and precision to line your shot perfectly, but once you land that shot, it's game over for them. In other words, she would be a very opportunistic long-range character who looks for opening points to strike for great burst damage and possesses good adaptability to help set herself up for that opportunity using her trick arrows.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Kat from Gravity Rush:

In that case, I'll go ahead and try submitting her. Note that her only connection to Nintendo is due to a collab with PSO2, which (as pointed out) is on the Switch, so I will not be surprised if this gets vetoed:

Female Rep: Kat (Gravity Rush)
View attachment 344346
Kat is the main protagonist of the critically-underrated Gravity Rush series from Sony. An amnesiac girl who wakes up one day in the town of Hekseville, Kat quickly assumes the role of local superhero via the usage of her powers as a Gravity Shifter. Kat's powers allow her to manipulate the flow of gravity around her, levitating various objects to launch at her enemies, and even being able to fly. This grants her an extensive amount of maneuverability, which adds to her typical punches and kicks that are common in these types of games. I think Kat would be a good fit for Smash because of how much potential her gravity powers would lend her, as well as the fact that (compared to most other potential Sony reps) she would actually fit in quite well in a game like Smash: Gravity Rush has been noted to be rather "un-Sony like" by many, but this sort of game fits Nintendo like a glove.

Also, play Gravity Rush. It's legit a good series, and deserved a LOT better.
Also, while I understand that Sony's more iconic characters are Western, I feel having one of their Japanese reps would provide more unique gameplay opportunities. Just my opinion, though.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Yes, we are kicking things off to a great start by submitting a PlayStation Fighter. Never before have we had such a prompt and, while we have discussed things in the past in regards to submissions, this time we are jumping into it with submissions right off the bat. That being said, we will be doing something different for this job. We will let you know once we get to voting.

Season 2 will have two Western reps and, like before, we will decide on the lineup once we decide them all. That being said, a PlayStation rep can go either way actually. Now, if we do get a Western rep, we will not allow that western rep to take the first newcomer slot for Season 2 to avoid a repeat of Zagreus. We do have a slot saved for a western-based fighter but should we go the western fighter route in this prompt, that western fighter prompt will be substituted for a non-western fighter route. Wait…what’s the other western fighter prompt? You will just have to see!

• Can be from a game that appears only on a Sony PlayStation console but from a company like Square or Konami.
  • The series must be relatively popular and/or iconic to warrant an inclusion. I’m not talking iconic in a “meme”-sort of way. We are looking for a character rep the the Sony brand and history. Not a character for lulz.
  • This character should be seen as representing Sony as our first Sony fighter in history and also marking a huge departure in newcomer formula as Smash hasn’t ever included a character that has yet to appear in a Nintendo console. Joker eventually did but we will be including a character (possibly) that has yet to. This character needs to be emblematic of that.
  • Namco is not allowed due to Agumon. We will allow Namco later on however but not for now.
  • Now, it’s ok if this charqcter/franchise appeared on a Nintendo console but must be seen historically or presently as a bonified Sony character if not owned by Sony directly. That being said, we won’t allow a third party character outside of Sony who appeared on multiple consoles (aka Nightmare (SC), 2B (NieR), etc)

Please provide a picture, name, series, and why this character should be included as a representative of Sony’s history, present, and future.
Is Raiden free from Mii costume hell now?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Can we sub a character heavily associated with Sony but appeared on Nintendo consoles? The job post addressed this, but it was kind of vague.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well if you won't let Raiden in then...

I don't know why but that unnerved me more than it should have. I legit feel violated and vulnerable now...

Lara Croft
Tomb Raider

1647648681362.png

While Lara is technically owned by Square-Enix and has gone through quite the tumultuous exchange between ownership, it can't be denied that Lara is a Sony-mascot without being fully owned by the corporation. She first appeared on the Playstation 1 has since appeared on every single Playstation to date which makes her a bonified Sony mascot in her own right. While she has made the transition from Playstation to other consoles, it's her games that are on Playstation that truly make her iconic. While I would love to slap Sony Interactive Entertainment on our list of associated companies, I don't think that should bar Lara from being considered.

In terms of content, she would be a character who lies on resources, skills, and experience when fighting opponents with a level of trap-setting and aerobatics that makes her a lightweight, swift fighter yet different compared to that of Zero Suit Samus. I think that she should be quick and agile but within human-means. I mean that her abilities shouldn't be overly exaggerated as she is technically human and has portrayed a sense of humanity throughout her series. Aside from melee based fighting, she could incorporate her own unique arsenal that would help her away from our base-game Jill Valentine. While Jill is a small tank, Lara is quick hitting with bait-and-attack type tactics. We can also pull TONS of content from her games for her attacks. Her alt costumes also practically write themselves with a potential of two additional costumes based on her other appearances.

In terms of other content, I feel a Smash Dungeon is a MUST MUST MUST along with a Masterpiece. An Assist would be fun but I think these two would make the franchise shine out. An item would be interesting as well. I am not sure for the stage aside form Croft Manor but I feel some sort of Tomb would be the best possible option. And, of course, there are the Spirits and Music to consider. I feel we could get some good music in here.

So, I feel Lara's inclusion wouldn't only make Playstation fans happy but fans of gaming in general due to her iconic and universal appeal. Also, seeing Lara and Bayonetta go at it would be amazing.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
HELL YEAH, now we're talking with the same language! Pardon me as this was straight from my previous attempt, but considering how quotes doesn't work when replied from an another user, I had to write them all there again.

(sighs in relief) Now that takes many of us back to the 2000's, including myself. There's many nostalgic games in this console we all grew up with as a young kid, like Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, and most of all, the topic of this post, so it's time to rip ourselves a new one with the two and only...

Sony/PlayStation Newcomer - Ratchet and Clank

Franchise: Ratchet & Clank
First Game: Ratchet & Clank (November 4th, 2002)
Console Debut: PlayStation 2
Companies: Sony Interactive Entertainment (publisher) and Insomniac Games (developer; also known for Spyro the Dragon and a Marvel universe with Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Wolverine)

Who are Ratchet and Clank?

Ratchet & Clank is one of Sony's flagship franchises on their PlayStation console brand, created and developed by Insomniac Games since it's debut on PlayStation 2 in November 4th, 2002. The series focuses on 3D action platforming gameplay (akin to fellow "collectathon" games, Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie) with third-person shooting elements, following science fiction-based adventures of the eponymous intergalactic adventurer duo, Ratchet (a young Lombax mechanic and pilot, who lived in Veldin) and Clank (a sentient Zoni robot, who was deemed "defective" and ran away from Quartu) as they travel through the Solana Galaxy, saving it from evil forces that consistently threaten it, such as villains like Doctor Nefarious (their arch-enemy), Chairman Alonzo Drek, Courtney Gears (her theme), Gleeman Vox, Otto Destruct, Luna (yes, a little girl is evil), Emperor Percival Tachyon, Captain Angstrom Darkwater and Romulus Slag, with the help of various allies like Captain Qwark, Big Al, Angela Cross (in Going Commando), Sasha Phyronix, Merc and Green (in Deadlocked), Talwyn Apogee, Cronk & Zephyr, Alister Azimuth (in A Crack in Time), Rusty Pete, etc.

Why They Deserve to be in Smash Over Others?

Thanks to it's charm which is full of over-the-top characters, epic story-telling & gameplay, catchy & intense music and wacky, funnily awkward moments (this old animated commercial, some weapons and a whole TV Tropes page also says it all - even for us adults), the franchise itself is so popular that it's titular heroes basically became one of Sony's most consistent, longest-enduring and iconic mascots alongside Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, etc. (Crash was declared one back in the PS1 era while under their ownership), thus appearing in multiple other PlayStation games and crossovers (yes, an Among Us one is real and then there's Fall Guys), even having a manga released in Japan (their games sold very big in the country with "The Best" titles and even has Crash-like changes as demonstrated above, a exclusive PS3 triple pack, bizarre anniversary videos and was the first Western-developed game bundled with a console), a comic book series by DC Comics in 2010, a theatrical feature film in 2016, etc. Ratchet & Clank would also represent a new company, Sony Interactive Entertainment themselves in this case (Microsoft has a fellow platforming mascot duo, Banjo & Kazooie and Minecraft's Steve, after all), and would complete the trio of main, prominent console developers alongside Microsoft and Nintendo.

While there are other Sony characters to pick up from their first-party exclusive library, Ratchet and Clank seems like a strong, logical contender and front-runner because of their popularity even in Japan (as just explained above), Nintendo-like cartoony aesthetics (alongside LittleBigPlanet; considering that most of Sony's still-living IPs, such as God of War, Uncharted and The Last of Us, are more realistic-looking and dark/mature in resemblance & theme/rating respectively) and would allow a development team to think ideas from "outside the box" due to how interesting a franchise is and should unironically fit in Smash very well, as explained below. I mean, Sony gave Epic Games permission to use Kratos and Aloy in Fortnite, even Nathan Drake to promote the Uncharted film, with all skins being usable in other consoles such as Nintendo Switch itself, so they're open to share their IPs to other companies if they want to. In fact, same could even be said with MLB: The Show 22 which was recently revealed for Nintendo Switch, developed by Sony's San Diego Studio from usually a PlayStation-exclusive franchise.

These facts alone, especially the last part, would be worth for a potentially very huge and strong hype-inducing reveal, which may even exceed Joker's reveal back in 2018 (at least in the level of him, Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora or even a Sans costume), considering that all three companies teamed up a few times before with executives showing up together the same year (a legendary moment for our lord, Reggie) and working on making social/online gaming more responsible and safer. And let's not forget how both Sony and Nintendo started the development of the original PlayStation console together, back when it was planned as a CD-ROM add-on for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. You may think at this point: "Console wars are over."

Even Masahiro Sakurai himself likes PlayStation itself, having a PS1 Classic Mini and & six PS3 and PS4s, one of them being the latter's Pro model on his console collection and played over 240 games in 2019. He even shared his thoughts of their newest console, PlayStation 5 and also highly recommended Astro's Playroom, which is a huge, all-encompassing love letter/tribute to it's history (which also include Ratchet & Clank as a easter egg/cameo in Turbo Trail, the first stage of SSD Speedway, a world based on PlayStation 2). After all, Sakurai said a few times before that Smash is more of a "celebration of gaming" rather than being just about Nintendo's IPs themselves.

In case anyone's still questioning all of this, let me tell you about rivals promoting each other's consoles:
Two years back before Banjo-Kazooie was ported to Nintendo Switch as part of a Nintendo 64 line-up for Nintendo Switch Online's expansion pack, during a duo's presentation stream in September 2019, Sakurai told watchers/Nintendo fans that if they want to play the original game itself, they should try it with Xbox One, which made Xbox trending on Twitter in Japan after a stream.

How They Would Work?

Of course, this isn't their first time in a platform fighting game, since they once appeared in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, which was released on PlayStation 3 and Vita in 2012, so they can be easily translated to Smash. They also have a VERY HUGE moveset potential thanks to LOTS OF crazy, unique weapons and gadgets besides Ratchet's signature OmniWrench, which he uses as a melee/boomerang-like weapon, wall-jumping, floating in the air with Clank's Heli-Pack, using Swingshot for a tether recovery-grab and using either their most powerful and badassest weapon, R.Y.N.O. (especially it's upgrade, R.Y.N.O. Xtreme from the 2016 reboot, complete with 1812 Overture from A Crack in Time playing in the background - pretty much their own counterpart of Doomguy/Doom Slayer's BFG 9000), their spaceship (Aphelion in the R&C Future trilogy released on PlayStation 3) or Clank's giant form in their Final Smash, allowing for multiple playstyle/mechanic possibilities (check @BirthNote's sketches of both) with a weapon switch/upgrade gimmick and maybe even the Groovitron & Mr. Zurkon (with unique quotes towards other fighters) as their taunts.

Besides, we need more duo fighters since there's only like four of them (Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt Duo and Banjo & Kazooie themselves). And also, who wants to bring a wrench to a gunfight? (intentional reference)

Their alternate dimension counterparts from the recent installment (Rift Apart on PlayStation 5), Rivet and Kit (using a hammer instead of OmniWrench and a warbot mode in place of Giant Clank), would also possibly join in as their alternate costumes alongside slightly altered animations and taunts/victory poses (besides various armors and skins). And speaking of content representation, there's dozens of materials to pick up for stage (like Kerwan, which appeared in a few games), music (a soundtrack is so GODDAMN good, so take both a good listen and advice from videos below! - imagine a banger remix of Metropolis in a reveal trailer and this as their victory theme over the results screen similarly to Cloud's), assist trophy, item, boss and spirit possibilties in forthcoming jobs/prompts. Maybe even bring up other Sony-owned PlayStation franchises for additional content like Mii costumes and spirits?

And congratulations to everyone, who managed to read this whole post (hopefully every part of this long-written research with passion and emotions paid off), so remember this! (fans revived the online multiplayer support itself with even a Discord server - Epic stole from us)
I'm curious but did you say "Alternate Dimension Counterparts" for them on Rift Apart? i haven't played the game but what timeline does it take place in?

Edit: Never Mind, I Get it.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

OH **** YEAH

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Since lara croft first appeared on sega saturn wouldn’t she violate this rule?
Interesting point but, given as it is, do you think Lara Croft as a Playstation icon or someone, due to circumstance, would be devoid of this title? Nightmare and 2B aren't seen as in the same category as Lara Croft given most of her games have been on PS consoles. Is she important enough to bend the rules a bit considering her importance within Playstation history?

Just a thought. I will mull it over to see if I will decline my submission or not.

Curious though, what does everyone think? Should Lara be allowed in by virtue alone or, based on what I wrote in the introductory post, should be ineligible due to having games on other consoles despite being a PS icon? This will help sway me in how to rule her inclusion.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Interesting point but, given as it is, do you think Lara Croft as a Playstation icon or someone, due to circumstance, would be devoid of this title? Nightmare and 2B aren't seen as in the same category as Lara Croft given most of her games have been on PS consoles. Is she important enough to bend the rules a bit considering her importance within Playstation history?

Just a thought. I will mull it over to see if I will decline my submission or not.

Curious though, what does everyone think? Should Lara be allowed in by virtue alone or, based on what I wrote in the introductory post, should be ineligible due to having games on other consoles despite being a PS icon? This will help sway me in how to rule her inclusion.
Me personally, I know her more for her Playstation appearances than anything else. Remember when she was friends with Sweet Tooth and Crash Bandicoot?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Sony submission

Nathan Drake

Man, do I have to explain why Nathan Drake would be a good pick for Sony's first rep? I mean, I will but the case is obvious. Uncharted is a massively iconic series and one of the top, if not the top, series ever produced by Sony. When you think of Sony games there's a lot of very high level games and series that come to mind, but if Uncharted isn't one of the first 3 you think of then I would call that fairly odd. Highly loved by both fans and critics alike, the series has taken home a high number of awards. Nathan Drake was also at one point considered the face of Sony while the series was at it's prime, making his selection one that would feel very natural.

On top of Uncharted high level of popularity, there's more reasons than just that to include Nathan and Uncharted. First, there's the movie that came out. While I've heard it's not great, that doesn't really matter as much to me as it does that it got one at all. To be a video game to get a movie is to be a video game with that's transcended the genre. Also, there's been heavy rumors of a return and reboot upcoming for the series, so it makes sense that sony would want to promote it

Overall, Nathan Drake is one of the most iconic characters of Sony's first party selection. For me, there's no better pick on the table

I'm surprised that no one submitted Kratos....
Sony Character:
Kratos (God of War)

Who is Kratos?
Kratos
is main Protagonist of Playstation series "God of War", made by Santa Monica Studios and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. His first game was released on Playstation in March 22, 2005.
He is a demigod or God (From now on) known as "Ghost of Sparta", who has vendetta against the Gods, who mistreated him. However, he started to kill them brutally without mercy and he was even responsible for Greece's destruction at end of GoW 3, which it led him to move to Scandinavia.
During the events of GoW (2018), he raised his child known as "Atreus" and he treated him nicely like "Father and son". Also, Kratos started to kill the Norse Gods, who also Kratos had vendetta for.
He was a son of Callisto and Zeus and he was Lysandra's former husband and Faye's former husband I guess... (I didn't played the God of War 2018, but I played God of War 3). He had two children: His son Atreus and his daughter Calliope, who were his children.

Kratos is no-brainer pick, since he is extremely iconic and he is flagship mascot of Playstation, which it led him popularity worldwide. He was even important for gaming history, especially Sony's. He is no stranger for crossover, since he appeared in Mortal Kombat 9, Fortnite and he appeared in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale in 2012 as Playable Character.

"How he could work?" + Aesthetics
You know, despite he is too brutal, he can really fight, since he was playable in PSABR and we could manage to make him playable in SSB without any issues.
First, he could heavyweight character, who doesn't have any movement options. His playstyle is "Rushdown" because of the God of War gameplay.
His moveset would be based on God of War games, like he could pull out his two blades or even his leviathan Axe to fight. However, his moveset would be also combo-based, since he could make huge amount of combos while pressing or mashing the buttons.
He could have Final Smash based on scene from "Father and Son", where he attacks the opponents while the Arrows fly straight at them. This FS instantly KOes the opponents (From 1 to 3).
Kratos would have some gimmick in Smash, which it would be based on God of War gameplay, like Combo-style gameplay, which like I mentioned earlier, pressing or mashing the buttons.

His design will be based on Modern Incarnation of Kratos, but he could have his old design as one of his alternates. He would be voiced by current actor and his one of taunts would reference his son Atreus.

Why Kratos in Smash?
Well, Kratos should DEFINITELY join smash, because he is one of Iconic Playstation Character and he is a flagship mascot for Playstation like I said earlier. Also, he could be another M-Rated character in Smash, but we can tone it down and reduce his brutality in this game.
Also, the upcoming GoW: Ragnarok game is going to release in 2022, which it would spice up it's inclusion in Smash Infinite. Speaking of new game, there is going to be a TV series based on it on Amazon Prime video.
We know that Kratos is not a stranger for Crossovers, so he should fit in "Celebration of Gaming".
Despite he didn't appeared on Nintendo Console, he still has a chance and nothing will stop from joining the Roster. Also his inclusion is worthy since imagine Pit or Palutena fighting Kratos or Mario meeting Kratos in reveal trailer.
His soundtrack is also worthy to appear in Smash, since his songs are bangers.
I can't tell all the reasons why Kratos deserves to be in Smash, but he is no-brainer pick and he is like Master Chief of Playstation.

Last words.
I would like to thank all of you for reading my essay/write-up of Kratos submission for Smash Infinite DLC.
Overall, Kratos is most Iconic Playstation Character and he deserves to be in Smash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom