• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Timerbomb

Smash Apprentice
what this guy said^

i think its time for a new main again…i'm not sure yet. but i'll surprise yall

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Post-SSBO LXV PLR Rankings

Post-SSBO LXV PLR Rankings (2/5/12)
1. Little England - 300
2. Jayford - 125

3. Lanceinthepants - 100
4. Fro - 70
5. Voorhese - 60
6. iamthemicrowave - 45
7. Timerbomb - 15
7. Tak - 15
7. Krystedez - 15
10. Goosefactor - 0
10. MrH - 0
10. DeezNutz - 0
10. Mr. Shyguy - 0
10. Faithkeeper - 0
10. Bees - 0​

'Fro

Smash Lord
It's never a waste when you get to spend time with your friends.
I'll reword that: It makes their tournament experience almost a complete waste, because all they get to do for their trouble is to watch people play (they didn't take part in singles or doubles, after all).

ORLY

Smash Master
I never did any shoutouts but it's tedious on my phone so I'll just say I had fun at this! I think I improved against Falco (thanks Jason!) and going all Fox (/ Sheik one set [sorry Fro :D]) was fun.

Quaz: good teaming with you, fella! I hope you start to find your niche in teams and get powahful.
LITP/LE: thanks for housing us and staying up until 8 AM playing friendlies. :D
Jayford: good to hear you had fun playing Melee again. You gimped the **** out of me some games. It was redic.
Fro: thanks for running this! We came in and invaded your little local and hopefully didn't scare off that other crew. :O
To everyone else: GGs if we played and I want to next time if we didn't.

See ya'll next time!

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
speaking of the rankings, there is one awesome way to break the challenge system (i think). Since the winning player always receives points, a person with zero points can repeatedly challenge the player ranked first (or someone who they want to get first) and then take a part of the winnings as payment for artificially inflating the standings. A way around this could be by implementing a rule that you can't challenge anyone more than 5 ranks away or something.

Also, how do challenges between people with zero points work?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
speaking of the rankings, there is one awesome way to break the challenge system (i think). Since the winning player always receives points, a person with zero points can repeatedly challenge the player ranked first (or someone who they want to get first) and then take a part of the winnings as payment for artificially inflating the standings. A way around this could be by implementing a rule that you can't challenge anyone more than 5 ranks away or something.

Also, how do challenges between people with zero points work?
Please answer this ASAP. Me and Scott have some challenges to do.

_kSo_

Smash Master
When we first created the PPR, I believe the original consensus was that players would not be allowed to challenge other players ranked more than 2 ranks above them.

However, if you read the PPR rules on the front page, it appears as though players are indeed allowed to challenge anyone ranked higher than them.

The current TO's will be able to clear this up for you.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Please answer this ASAP. Me and Scott have some challenges to do.
Sorry it took a while. Had to take some time to think about it. I do understand the concern. Since we do log all challenges, we will be able to keep track of such a trend of challenges if it were to happen. Also, because of the usage of difference in ranks to allocate the points to the winner, overall it would still be difficult to play so many challenges to make up the number of points the higher-ranked players get from tournaments anyway. At least, not without alerting suspicion to the idea that players are indeed bargaining points that way.

So while there's no straight answer from the rules right now, it should be noticeable if it does happen. I would also hope that our players wouldn't participate in such activities, or that if it does happen, that the higher-ranked player let us know if they feel that is happening.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I will challenge anyone for the small price of a pokemon card (except basic energy)! Get my services now before I complete my collection! You get money, I get pokemon cards.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
Also, because of the usage of difference in ranks to allocate the points to the winner, overall it would still be difficult to play so many challenges to make up the number of points the higher-ranked players get from tournaments anyway.
Valid point. Assuming I were rank 10 right now, I could only get Jayford about another 100 points for the semester. He would still have to do work, but it's enough to sway the results.

But still, how do challenges work between people with zero points? Do we just hold firm with the math and both players get/lose zero points? Should the winner arbitrarily get 10 points out of the match? Or should we just not allow challenge matches between people with zero points?

Some others questions to consider: Can a semi-finals or finals match also be used to determine a challenge match? If Little England is concerned about being usurped in points, can he challenge a lower ranked player; and what would those rules look like?

So i guess i should stop procrastinating.

Who knows, one day even I might end up on the PLR.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
I want to go to SSBO LXVI, and I was kind of wondering, how often, if ever, does some young blood come to SSBO? By young blood, I mean somebody like me (I turn 15 next month).

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
I want to go to SSBO LXVI, and I was kind of wondering, how often, if ever, does some young blood come to SSBO? By young blood, I mean somebody like me (I turn 15 next month).
When voorhese first came here he was 15. When craig first came here he was 14 or 15. It really shouldn't be an issue

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yoooo double post for how awesome this weekend was. I had a good time making a ruckus in Anthony's apartment and it was good to see Crrrrrrrrg again.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Hey, man, come on down for any of these! We'll have the one on the 25th coming up next, so hopefully we'll see you there!
dang that weekend i have to show my cousin from NJ around UIUC... hopefully i can convince the other UIUC guys to show up to this since a lot of them need tournament experience before SMYM...

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
dang that weekend i have to show my cousin from NJ around UIUC... hopefully i can convince the other UIUC guys to show up to this since a lot of them need tournament experience before SMYM...
Well if me and Jason go to the tourny in Michigan then basically no one will be at the one on the 25th (Fro, Jay, me, Jason, and anyone else who wants to come to Michigan). I think we should move the next SSBO to March 3rd. That would satisfy everyone I think.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
We most certainly could move the next SSBO to March 3, if that works for more people; I ask that any other interested parties please post with your input on this. I am aware that Chicago has their SMYM practice tourney that day, but if March 3 would draw more interest here overall and if most Dew Crew members and other locals and interested parties were not considering Smash to the Future's event nor Chicago Smashers our February 25 event, we could definitely move things around. Just let me know what the consensus is.

@ Adam: Yeah, that would more than likely work (assuming that we start doubles at noon, of course, which is the goal).

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
We most certainly could move the next SSBO to March 3, if that works for more people; I ask that any other interested parties please post with your input on this. I am aware that Chicago has their SMYM practice tourney that day, but if March 3 would draw more interest here overall and if most Dew Crew members and other locals and interested parties were not considering Smash to the Future's event nor Chicago Smashers our February 25 event, we could definitely move things around. Just let me know what the consensus is.
Lol wow, ORLY updated that thread like right before I made my post. What a dbaggggggg

DracoFox

Smash Ace
You know the drill for me. Granted I'm not on my A game anymore, I've still been wanting to try to attend one of these, "on time" that is, but work has thrown me a curve ball. So the next tournament I'm going to try to attend, IF I don't have to work on a Sunday. 2pm should be a good time for me to attend singles, right?

'Fro

Smash Lord
You know the drill for me. Granted I'm not on my A game anymore, I've still been wanting to try to attend one of these, "on time" that is, but work has thrown me a curve ball. So the next tournament I'm going to try to attend, IF I don't have to work on a Sunday. 2pm should be a good time for me to attend singles, right?
Yeah, that should be good.

And I would also be in favor of the March 3rd tourney instead of the meager-looking 25th.

Top Bottom