• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

'Fro

Smash Lord
Yeah I saw that. Jwong is nuts lol. You pretty much have to push block the first hit and no one was doing that :'(. Also, no one was abusing the Haggar assist on him :(. JWong is next on the list >=D.

Also, X-23 is pretty solid. She has a crazy mix up game. You can dash through someone or fake it then you can do a high, low, or overhead and combo off of it. Her supers have a lot of invincibility too. Plus she falls slower then other characters so combing her is weird.
Tried the assist.... I don't think Spidey can make THAT much use of her. His combos are naturally long, so by the time she OTGs for him damage and hitstun are crazy scaled, limiting the options he has at that point.

People were push-blocking JWong, but he knew how to set himself up right after that. He was probably the only player there who always reacted correctly to getting push-blocked. His spidey was also crazy, running that Wesker OTG assist. Come to think of it, maybe I'm just going for the wrong combos into and out of the OTG.

I ended up switching to Hulk Gamma wave and Ryu Shoryuken, since the wave helps lock down better for Spidey's pressure and Shoryu is almost as good as Hulk's anti-air. Gonna run with this for a while and see what I get. Mike Ross has me believing in Ryu and Hulk, while Justin and Rahsaan have proven Spidey's potential.

Also, speaking of Jwong again, he is gonna run that train for a while. His instant overhead as Wolverine on Sentinel has been DESTROYING the poor junk heap.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced counts, I'd say that one. It's definitely one of my favorite single player games ever. The job system is ****ing awesome and the game is paced really well (just don't grind against random clans else you'll be waaay overleveled easily).
omfg tactics was amazing. I played FFTA and FFTA2 and put over 100 hours between them.

The RPG that i have liked the most was dragon warrior 3 (GBC). You have 1 "hero" class that is sort of all around, and you can pick the rest of your team from the start of the game.

I spent a good amount of time in FF3, but didnt really enjoy the forced teams. Again stories in RPGs aren't usually very entertaining for me...

KOTOR was really good too. Have you played Mass Effect? Made in a similar style but with real time combat.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
i just won a $5 mm in brawl and i don't even own a wii or play brawl…hell yeah!
Did you say "Brawl sucks!" after you won? ;)

Also, did you win that tourney Jay?

I haven't played mass effect, i might try it out. One thing I really liked about kotor was a good mix of direction/free play. I want to be able to make some choices, but I also want to have a good idea of something to do. I did like the battle system in kotor, but I might try mass effect out anyway.

anyone want to play smash/ sf this afternoon? I want to put off my hw.

btw, is playing stick important in MvC3? I feel like with the right character playing pad on SF is fine.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
omfg tactics was amazing. I played FFTA and FFTA2 and put over 100 hours between them.

The RPG that i have liked the most was dragon warrior 3 (GBC). You have 1 "hero" class that is sort of all around, and you can pick the rest of your team from the start of the game.

I spent a good amount of time in FF3, but didnt really enjoy the forced teams. Again stories in RPGs aren't usually very entertaining for me...

KOTOR was really good too. Have you played Mass Effect? Made in a similar style but with real time combat.
Oh man Dragon Warrior 3 was pretty awesome. Really long too. And KotoR is definitely my favorite RPG of all time, but i just really don't like Mass Effect.

Ever played Golden Sun? There were fixed party members, but using different combination of Djinn you could have a huge variety of "classes."

And on the topic of Smash, I finally have a crt. It's a 5" one and I keep it right next to my computer on my desk, so in any downtime I prance around stage with Fox for 5-10 minutes.

EDIT: I'm available for some Smash today. I have a friend coming to town, but I'll have some time.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Umm, so for curiosity's sake, what are the tentative travel plans for SMYM?
^This.

Don't tell me it hasn't been discussed yet. But then again, after learning about Jason's attempt to get plan tickets 7 minutes before Pound 5 starts, I don't think I can rule anything out. :woman:

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Oh don't worry, I have no shame. Bribes work nicely on me. I like Chinese food, along with your typical seafood and steak (medium rare, mind you) fare. :p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Oh man Dragon Warrior 3 was pretty awesome. Really long too. And KotoR is definitely my favorite RPG of all time, but i just really don't like Mass Effect.

Ever played Golden Sun? There were fixed party members, but using different combination of Djinn you could have a huge variety of "classes."

And on the topic of Smash, I finally have a crt. It's a 5" one and I keep it right next to my computer on my desk, so in any downtime I prance around stage with Fox for 5-10 minutes.

EDIT: I'm available for some Smash today. I have a friend coming to town, but I'll have some time.
IMO Mass Effect did the KotOR style dialogue questing better by making the GUI infinitely better as well as turning the game down a more mature route. In Mass Effect 2 there are a ton of cutscene changes you can do that remind me of solid snake epicness (at least from MGS1/2 since thats all i've played). The combat is completely different from kotor though, but i am a fan of the tactical FPS. Also i played the PC version, so that probably made my experience better too.

Is golden sun turn based? Hows the combat system? Whats a djinn? I recall playing the one for the GBA but i dont think i played very long at all though i don't remember why i stopped.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Good luck at Pound Lance! Make sure you send those updates and say hi to all my SoCal friends!! :bee:

edit/ oh wait DJ I keep forgetting you're going to. I know you're already on the road, but have a safe trip!

Jay, I'm kinda of interested in going to that Indy Marvel tourney. We'll see.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Yeah Lance, good luck, and have a safe trip this weekend.

Golden Sun is amazing, it just starts slow.
It's funny you mention this cuz didn't one of you guys say that you couldn't find the exit to the town you start in? Maybe that was another friend of mine from school. I can't remember. >_<

Also, these McDonald's frappies are so good. It's Anthony's fault that I'm hooked on them.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Did you say "Brawl sucks!" after you won? ;)

Also, did you win that tourney Jay?

I haven't played mass effect, i might try it out. One thing I really liked about kotor was a good mix of direction/free play. I want to be able to make some choices, but I also want to have a good idea of something to do. I did like the battle system in kotor, but I might try mass effect out anyway.

anyone want to play smash/ sf this afternoon? I want to put off my hw.

btw, is playing stick important in MvC3? I feel like with the right character playing pad on SF is fine.
Nah I lost to the guy that got 2nd. Long story short he baited my assists both games and team hyper comboed my haggar. Also Storm v Arthur is kinda tough. It's al good tho I got him next time and I almost beat him last time.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
Haggar is a character from Streets of Rage. He fights like Zangief. OTG i think means off the ground.

Andrew: Aw, it wasn't that bad. The roadblocks were gay though. And the way they ended it and developed the characters left much to be desired but there's supposedly a sequel in the works.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Golden Sun was amazing. Pretty sure Matt likes it too
The gameplay was good, the puzzles were good (some of them challenging enough), the music was good, the combat system was pretty good
yea

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Thx for the support guys! This tournament is going to be awesome and I'll post/text some updates when I got the time. If I'm reading my tickets right, I only have 30 minutes to go across Atlanta Airport to catch my continuation flight. I'll just text Jay for help ;)

^This.

Don't tell me it hasn't been discussed yet. But then again, after learning about Jason's attempt to get plan tickets 7 minutes before Pound 5 starts, I don't think I can rule anything out. :woman:
Lolz! But yea I have no idea who is driving.

I have yet to play MvC3, but it looks like I would enjoy it more than other 2d fighters. Maybe ill use my TvC combo + another (Zero/Ryu).

'Fro

Smash Lord
Haggar is a character from Streets of Rage. He fights like Zangief. OTG i think means off the ground.
OMG...... Haggar = FINAL FIGHT, not Streets of Rage.

And yeah, OTG = Off the ground. Street Fighter doesn't employ this mechanic. Marvel, on the other hand, has moves that pick up opponents from their knockdown state.

voorhese

Smash Master
i played MvC3 with bleck last night, and its really fun
my team is not ironed out as of just yet but for M.O.D.O.K is on all of my team combinations

my best 2 so far seem to be M.O.D.O.K , anamasteru(idk how to spell it), and hsien-ko
and modok, skrull, hsien-ko

r these kinda legit?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
r these kinda legit?
If you like them, yes.

I was watching some MvC3 stream, and I guess hsien-ko has some garbage defense. I didn't really get to see her fight because the guy who used her got rushed down really hard right of the bat and hsien-ko couldn't handle it. I guess that means you've got to make that first move.

voorhese

Smash Master
well hsien-ko feels pretty solid to me, but im not very experienced yet

one of my strats at 1st was using modok,(either hsien-ko or amaterasu), and pheonix

cuz lvl 5 pheonix on death + xfactor = lol

bleck soon found out after 2 games that he can just time her out by not killing her when i summon her, cuz i spend so much time camping my *** off with modok to get the super bar for it lol

oh and also all he had to do was counter Xfactor and advancing gaurd me for no damage....

lol 2 be honest, i thought that maybe since i wanted to play thor, i could play modok,thor and pheonix

camp my *** off with modok, lay a special barrier, switch to thor and down down fierce for the super bar for my pheonix, and use the modok barrier assist to keep him guarded for his down down fierce...sounded good in theory anyway lol

voorhese

Smash Master
well i think u can hit people like after u trip em for a second, but ur not able to like u can in MvC3 and pop em up to continue a combo (def. not to the same extent if u can a little but like 2 hits after)

Top Bottom