• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

voorhese

Smash Master
idk if i will be able to play or not corey, because its on a sunday, and mom will prolly wanna just go home after sittin through fafsa

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Thanks for all of the responses to the joke thing.

i have like 4 copies of 10 and a copy of 7 u could borrow if u want
Unfortunately, I have no ps1, ps2 and my ps3 is a slim and therefore not backwards compatible. Thank you for offering though.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
i think that the more offensive a joke is, the funnier it is. laughter is an internal mechanism to defuse anxiety.

Also, I'm getting so pumped for pound 5. The hype is getting to me. Good luck Lance, rep the due crew hard!! If you wanna get some last minute practice in tomorrow, hit me up. I have exam johns tonight.
Thanks George! I planned on driving home tomorrow night after my test at 9, but if people are up for smash and I could get a ride to my car (parked at "Skylar's" LOL), then I would be down for some pre-Pound shenanagins. :)

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Reasons you might not think a joke is funny (dreamed up in 5 minutes or less):

1) You don't get the joke.
It's kind of hard to find humor in something you don't understand. Of course, your willingness to admit you don't get the joke is inversely proportional to how sexual the humor is.

2) You believe the joke to have some ulterior motive.
(e.g. It's DESIGNED and personalized just to piss you off). You're probably being paranoid. Your friends are ***** to you because they're trying to get you to lighten up. It doesn't matter how many times you tell them to stop calling you 'Betsy', because your reaction is hilarious. An offensive joke can go into this category ... but really, if you honestly believe the teller didn't mean any harm by it, you'll probably find it funny regardless.

C) The joke is over-used.
Punchlines die pretty much after the second time someone hears the same one. In quite a few jokes, the humor is based on a turn-in-the-last-frame gag, and if the listeners already know the punchline you might as well be saying 'You know, the one with the Asian woman and the golfer.'

4) The presentation sucks.
Some people just aren't meant to tell jokes. Most though, are just drunk.

Aaaaaand ...

80085) If you consider the joke to be simply below your level of intellect.
Really ... this is mostly for puns. If it doesn't take a split second to understand what's out of place in the punchline your humor will be met with groans. Of course, since building up suspense for a punchline and then promptly delivering a lemon -can- be funny ...

'Fro

Smash Lord
jokes are funny if the person can relate to them. Also if someone gets offended by a joke they need to calm the frick down <.> Jokes are meant to make a person laugh
I don't know. I did not find it humorous when I introduced myself to someone and the first thing they said was "Oh, like Achmed the dead terrorist?". Depending on the person, a racial/prejudiced joke CAN be funny, but I typically don't find it to be as such if I know the joke is a mechanism for the person to hide that they do hold a prejudice.

BunBun

Smash Master
Skylar: Those reasons made me chuckle when I thought about some of the terrible jokes I've told you over the years.

Carl: I'm coming up on like March
10 or 11 until sunday, unless no one is going to be there.

SMYM is March 5, if you want to do that instead.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Jay, just in case you didn't see it on SRK, I won't be going to Naptown this weekend. Plus, it seems the car is already close to being packed. Either way, we will get in games because I need to learn MvC 3. I'm loving it, though.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Corey: FFVII is up for down load on the Playstation Store for your PS3. Should cost you like $20. If not, I'm sure that you can run a PSX emu on your tower or something to play it. Though in honesty, FFVII ain't got **** on FFIII/VI. That's just my IMO. They do have FFIX, FFVII, and FFT (tatics) for down load as well running for about the same price.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
Goose: lolz faces. Where's the game you want me to play goose? I need to test if my memory card works for it or not.

Fro: I don't remember the last time someone said a racist joke to me.

I'm with Corey. I'm a FF virgin.

SKYLAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! There's a pokemon gym leader in the new games called Skyla. it made me go T_T

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
SKYLAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! There's a pokemon gym leader in the new games called Skyla. it made me go T_T
O_o
THEY'VE STOLEN MY IDENTITY!
That leader had better at least ***** only grass or fire type pokemon for no apparent reason.
I don't think I've made it through one of those games without only using one type.
... What? It's symmetrical that way!

Also ... it's out already?
Damn! Someone mail me a DS so I can play.

Skylar: Those reasons made me chuckle when I thought about some of the terrible jokes I've told you over the years.
Rofl ... you may have been at least a partial inspiration for that.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Fro: I don't remember the last time someone said a racist joke to me.
I'm a brown, Muslim Arab. Punchlines aplenty, many of which I have accepted in good taste and laughed at, but some have left me questioning the class of the people saying the joke.

Either way, it's not as if it's something I constantly deal with, but it is there. Just trying to bring my perspective of where I feel jokes are inappropriate.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
O_o
THEY'VE STOLEN MY IDENTITY!
That leader had better at least ***** only grass or fire type pokemon for no apparent reason.
I don't think I've made it through one of those games without only using one type.
... What? It's symmetrical that way!

Also ... it's out already?
Damn! Someone mail me a DS so I can play.
It isn't out yet. Comes out the 5th of March me thinks. She's a flying type user so I'm guessing she's going to be like Winona from the Hoenn games

Edit: If it makes you feel better Fro I was once called a Russian and a Puerto Rican on the same day by the same person. <.>

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
There really aren't too many Arab jokes that are in good taste. I could say something about you having sand in your ears, or being hairy, or riding around on camels, but thats about it.

hehe... camels

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
It took me two years to figure out why people kept asking if I was Swedish. O_o
Other than that, I haven't exactly had to run the race gamut.

I suppose it would largely depend on who was telling the joke, and how.
I could come away with the impression they were malicious ... or just dumb.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
The only Arab-related jokes I know are actually making fun of Americans that are afraid of Muslims. I don't tell those at family reunions...

I don't really get the receiving end of the racial jokes because nobody tells me white jokes and even if they had native american jokes (I've never heard one) I'm not native american enough for anyone to notice.

Dart!

Smash Master
Certain racial jokes are only funny depending on delivery. Mood. Whos saying it. And why. Which is why they're only good in advanced moderation. Honestly the worst comedians are the ones that rely on terrible racial puns or slams. Cussing and looking like ignorant ****s...im looking at YOU carlos mencia.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
I have no idea what that word can be unless of course you like male genitalia then I can guess the word (ie the nick name for Richard other than Rich)
I'm pretty sure he said ****.
You know ... since we were on racial slurs.

Oh right ... XD You can't see that. DERP.

*Drops Penny*
*Andrew Takes Penny*

*Drops Penny*
*Andrew Takes Penny*

*Drops Nothing*
*Andrew Searches For Penny.*

goosefactor

Smash Lord
LOL, omg, Skylar, so much fail. :p

But yeah, Josh, when it comes to racial slurs, you really are a ****.

'Fro

Smash Lord
RPGs dont really captivate me with story. Which FF has the best combat and leveling system?
X thanks to the things you need to do to actually be able to max out the characters. Like many FF's, though, the characters wind up being very similar apart from their overdrives and their weapon's qualities. If that isn't a problem to you, then FFX should be good for you.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
RPGs dont really captivate me with story. Which FF has the best combat and leveling system?
If Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced counts, I'd say that one. It's definitely one of my favorite single player games ever. The job system is ****ing awesome and the game is paced really well (just don't grind against random clans else you'll be waaay overleveled easily).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
If Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced counts, I'd say that one. It's definitely one of my favorite single player games ever. The job system is ****ing awesome and the game is paced really well (just don't grind against random clans else you'll be waaay overleveled easily).
I really liked what I played of it. But after a 15 or so hours it just seemed like I was just doing the same thing over and over again. Find some excuse to be in a battle. kill enemy. repeat. And the plot did nothing to really give me any purpose. "I am in a fantasy world. I want to go home, my two friends don't." I just felt like I was grinding out missions without any real purpose other than to help people.

I bought FF7 after scott and matt posted, so oh well. I've got enough ps bucks for one more, but I'll see how this one goes. My favorite single player game is KOTOR.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Jason just experienced my MvC3 fury. Fro... you're next. The Mayor is coming for you...
Joonz? I gotta build a team first, but I honestly can't find enough utility for the Haggar assist to put him on my team.

What I'm looking at right now is a Spidey/ Hulk (anti-air)/ Chris (gun) team. Spidey and Hulk DHC to and from each other EXTREMELY well (Hulk OTG's off Maximum Spider with Gamma Quake, and Spidey gets the juggle of the Gamma Quake). Only problem I have is, honestly, I should probably be running Chris in a completely different team, since he doesn't add to the synergy with his assists or his supers, unless I run the mine for OTG, which isn't that good. I might sub him out for Dante( Jam Session), Ryu (Tatsu and DHC capbility), Storm (DHC queen), or something else... Not sure yet.

Are you doing Sentinel/Storm/Haggar? And what team are you playing, Jason?

Jayford

Smash Lord
Joonz? I gotta build a team first, but I honestly can't find enough utility for the Haggar assist to put him on my team.

What I'm looking at right now is a Spidey/ Hulk (anti-air)/ Chris (gun) team. Spidey and Hulk DHC to and from each other EXTREMELY well (Hulk OTG's off Maximum Spider with Gamma Quake, and Spidey gets the juggle of the Gamma Quake). Only problem I have is, honestly, I should probably be running Chris in a completely different team, since he doesn't add to the synergy with his assists or his supers, unless I run the mine for OTG, which isn't that good. I might sub him out for Dante( Jam Session), Ryu (Tatsu and DHC capbility), Storm (DHC queen), or something else... Not sure yet.

Are you doing Sentinel/Storm/Haggar? And what team are you playing, Jason?
I haven't played any of those characters except storm so I dunno lol. I would say just slap sent or storm on your team because they are op. I am using Arthur, Sentinel, Haggar. I have been playing Zero/Haggar/Phoenix and Zero/Viper/Phoenix with Jason and it's pretty op lol.

I just pressure with Zero and use my assists so I can't get guard pushed. Soooo goood.

EDIT: Try X-23. Her assist can OTG from Spiderman's combos and let him continue combos or something. I dunno I why I remember reading this, but I did.

'Fro

Smash Lord
I haven't played any of those characters except storm so I dunno lol. I would say just slap sent or storm on your team because they are op. I am using Arthur, Sentinel, Haggar. I have been playing Zero/Haggar/Phoenix and Zero/Viper/Phoenix with Jason and it's pretty op lol.

I just pressure with Zero and use my assists so I can't get guard pushed. Soooo goood.

EDIT: Try X-23. Her assist can OTG from Spiderman's combos and let him continue combos or something. I dunno I why I remember reading this, but I did.
It does work like that, but I'm not sure enough about X-23 herself on the team..... I definitely want Hulk in there because of his absurd damage. I honestly want to avoid using Storm or Sentinel if I can. I'll mess around with X-23 because, as it turns out, Chris's mine doesn't continue Spidey's combos.

Also, don't know if you were watching Wednesday night fights last night, but Justin Wong proves that Sentinel can be defeated, several times, running a Wolverine/Storm/Akuma team. He used Akuma's tatsu as a cover for Wolvie's crazy rushdown.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Yeah I saw that. Jwong is nuts lol. You pretty much have to push block the first hit and no one was doing that :'(. Also, no one was abusing the Haggar assist on him :(. JWong is next on the list >=D.

Also, X-23 is pretty solid. She has a crazy mix up game. You can dash through someone or fake it then you can do a high, low, or overhead and combo off of it. Her supers have a lot of invincibility too. Plus she falls slower then other characters so combing her is weird.

Top Bottom