• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
So that's what ... roughly equivalent to having a good Bowser in Melee?
Even if you're skilled, you're still clap-trap bait in the end. :p

I DO want to play brawl- though.
Get yer damn wii workin' right, Jay.

Jayford

Smash Lord
To prempt any BS, I guess I should say this. I guess I didn't almost "beat" that snake. I was in control for most of the match and we were each down to one stock and I got killed by a clap trap. Granted it was my counter pick and I should have won I guess I shouldn't say I almost beat him. I guess I did ok on my CP would be a better way to say it. So I am sorry if I over stated what I had done, I was just happy with my performance. So from now on I either got ***** or I barely won that way I don't put any misconceptions into people's heads.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
So ya, FFXIII's endgame stuff is pretty level-grinding oriented. I love it. I need like so many components, gil, and crystogen points, that it's unreal. I fought this optional enemy last night that literally took 26 minutes to beat O_O. My paradigm shifting APM was well over 9000.

Also, I'm so glad that there's a real place to eat when I get in on Friday nights. George, just a little tip: you may wanna bring an extra buck fiddy just in case...well...YOU know.

Also, I needz me a partner, preferably someone that I haven't teamed with yet.

Craig, get your nub-*** down here this weekend.

'Fro

Smash Lord
So ya, FFXIII's endgame stuff is pretty level-grinding oriented. I love it. I need like so many components, gil, and crystogen points, that it's unreal. I fought this optional enemy last night that literally took 26 minutes to beat O_O. My paradigm shifting APM was well over 9000.
Haven't finished it yet, but I already see the whole grinding thing. I spent over 10 hours just doing side stuff and leveling, and I still find enemies who keep me in battle for long-*** times. Behemoth Kings honestly piss me off. "You took down a lot of my health.... Time to stand on two feet and gain it all back!" or, " You took out a lot of my health again? Wait, I'm not Staggered yet.... LOLSUNDER!" Disgusting.....

You still using Snow? That nub's HP pales severely in comparison to Fang's crazy damage output, much as I like how Snow doesn't give a **** about using weapons.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Haven't finished it yet, but I already see the whole grinding thing. I spent over 10 hours just doing side stuff and leveling, and I still find enemies who keep me in battle for long-*** times. Behemoth Kings honestly piss me off. "You took down a lot of my health.... Time to stand on two feet and gain it all back!" or, " You took out a lot of my health again? Wait, I'm not Staggered yet.... LOLSUNDER!" Disgusting.....

You still using Snow? That nub's HP pales severely in comparison to Fang's crazy damage output, much as I like how Snow doesn't give a **** about using weapons.
LOLOL, ya Behemoth Kings were pretty tough. They looked so cool though, so I usually let their cheapness slide. But my goodness, sunder was a *****.

Heh, ya, still using Snow. I understand that Fang's physical damage is moderately higher, but when you stagger enemies and get their chain bonus to like 600%-999% (which we both know is key in this game), the difference in their damage-inflicting capabilities doesn't add up to that much, especially since the damage output doesn't increase by a percentage as it did in FFX (along with many other RPG's). More so, since there is no defense in the game (at least for our characters), HP is that much more important. Plus, with Snow's big difference in HP, he is no doubt the best Sentinel, and although I feel that class has played a very small role so far, I have a feeling it'll become vital in the much tougher battles to come.

Plus, most importantly, I can relate to him since he's pretty bad-*** just like me.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
lol this is the same kid who messages me on facebook once a week talking about the new character he plays and how good he is now
all I can say is fuckin' voorhese

AnDaLe

Smash Champion

are you talking about the samurai ceith in the titan trials from mission 51?
and plz don't tell me u actually like FFXIII.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Goose you baddie. Your fights wouldn't take 26 minutes if you used Fang. Also Fang is way more bad *** than Snow.
Heh, it's funny you say that because the mission mark I'm talking about was immune to physical attacks, and its elemental resistance was pretty high, so the Ravager's fill-in-the-blank-strikes weren't too effective either. ;)

I dunno, I thought about it long and hard (hehe, I said long and hard), and I just think he's the better choice. I can very easily be wrong. Plus it's still too early to tell because I'm not finished fully upgrading their weapons, so there will no doubt be other factors to look into mainly with regards to their weapons' special abilities, stats, etc.

nope....i just have no life
LOLOL

are you talking about the samurai ceith in the titan trials from mission 51?
and plz don't tell me u actually like FFXIII.
I'm not sure what you're talking about...I most likely haven't gotten there yet....

Well, other than the graphics, anything that isn't Gran Pulse related is a little subpar. But I'm having a lot of fun with the endgame stuff, so overall, it's a pretty solid game. Nothing groundbreaking like VI, VII, or X, though.

u forgot about the part how imma **** u in a MM
I would actually like to watch this MM between you two.

Also, I love bowling against and whooping on young hotshots who think they are so good at bowling, but just...aren't.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Guys, why aren't we using this? (only looked at the legal stages)

MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts

• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
    2. Entrance and venue fees
    3. Arriving on time
    4. Maintaining personal hygiene
    5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
    6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
  • Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
  • Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
  • No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
  • When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
  • The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
  • Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
  • The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
  • For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

Top Bottom