• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
SSBO XLII Results; Rules Changes

Doubles Results (4 teams)
1: Big Red (Goosefactor + A.C._Burito)
2: Birthday Sex (iamthemicrowave + DeeZNutZ)
3: Ginger Balls ('Fro + Lanceinthepants)
4: "We came here as a team. We're here to **** **** up!" (Voorhese + Limitz)

Singles Results (13 players)
1: Kirkq ($40.00)
2: iamthemicrowave ($20.00)
3: Goosefactor ($5.00)

4: 'Fro
5: A.C._Burito
5: Voorhese
7: Hippy
7: Lanceinthepants
9: DracoFox
9: DeeZNutZ
9: Bees
9: ATP
9: Rintin-tin

Thanks to everybody who made it out to this SSBO (even Voorhese with his outrageous random suit).

Please note the following changes to the rules, effective immediately:

1. Floats has been removed as a legal counterpick in both doubles and singles.
2. Semi-finals are now best 3/5.

I hope to see everybody at our last tournament of the semester, SSBO XLIII, on April 24.

Current PPR

1. Goosefactor

2. Kirkq

3. NJzFinest

4. 'Fro

5. iamthemicrowave

6. DracoFox

7. WarHippy

8. Voorhese

9. Mr. H

10. A.C._Burito

11. Jayford

12. CNN (Nuonn)

13. Lavos

14. DeeZ NutZ

15. Lanceinthepants

16. Bees (Gauthic Von B. Schonen)

17. Rintin-tin

18.Dex

19. ATP

20. Rexolis

21. Cinnamon

22. Zephyrmace

23. Faithkeeper

24. G-cob
24. Clog
24. Huff

XD1337

Smash Apprentice
can i get a little falcon icon next to my name plzzzzz

also I want my tag to be zerg :D

DracoFox

Smash Ace
i think pools were seeded bad, thats why adam didnt make it out
I honestly think the same, and I will not let a coin decide it next time. It's either Kit's computer that judges it, or I'm staying out. Also, there was a lot of miss unfortunate things that even happened during the tournament. Example: Bryan and Goose for some reason are ALWAYS in the same pool as each other.

Anyways, good games everyone.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
voorhese, how are you going to talk that much **** to me and do this
5. Voorhese

seriously???
and you're 8th on the power rankings?
jeeeez

voorhese

Smash Master
voorhese, how are you going to talk that much **** to me and do this
5. Voorhese

seriously???
and you're 8th on the power rankings?
jeeeez
hey first off fro 4 stocks u.... 2nd kirk would 4 stock u...... 3rd i played them both in brackets....

and 4th ur not fro/kirk and i will **** you

and as for the power rankings, i havent challenged anyone really the only challenge i have done i think is to get back the spot i lose because i had to cut the match short because i had to leave

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
voorheese i whooped your *** in pools

kirkq is good at comboing fox. i played like crap the first set(3-0 him) and better the second set(3-1). I started failing after kirkq took back the second game, where he pretty much 0-deathd me my last stock when he was at 80, to tie it up 1-1.

Anyways GGs everyone. Kirkq is too good but my john is falcos dair XD

voorhese

Smash Master
voorheese i whooped your *** in pools

kirkq is good at comboing fox. i played like crap the first set(3-0 him) and better the second set(3-1). I started failing after kirkq took back the second game, where he pretty much 0-deathd me my last stock when he was at 80, to tie it up 1-1.

Anyways GGs everyone. Kirkq is too good but my john is falcos dair XD
i didnt play fox at all during our matches ( not saying it would have mattered much), i was all over the place with characters that tourney

i only played fox in tourney agaisnt hippy, and i almost didnt

i have to stick to one or 2 characters, i was playing marth, fox, shiek, and puff that tourney. When in fact should have most likely been puff/fox only

GG everyone, ill focus more on one or 2 characters, so i wont be so much of a pushover next tourney

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Tomahawk, and I know your just messing around and ish, but the power rankings don't mean anything.

No one place according to the rankings. Imo, the rankings should be based on results instead of requested challenge matches, then people would take it more seriously.

kirkq

Smash Ace
I started failing after kirkq took back the second game, where he pretty much 0-deathd me my last stock when he was at 80, to tie it up 1-1.
Some days I even impress myself. Really if I hadn't pulled that off I probably would have lost the set. Also my set vs. Goose was stupidly close too. He was probably one forward smash from winning in all 3 matches he lost (except cruise I guess, heh).

I really shouldn't be winning these any more. Goose plays better than me head to head. I doubt he has quite the experience vs some characters that I do though. George, you're just a fob.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
samus is my worst matchup. I've played fro in tourny and I barely lost (we played super close sets)
I've only played kirk in doubles, and me and ripple beat him. Game 3 I was >100% at floats and I 0-deathed him for the win.
Just sayin' voorhese

Bun^2 we should play next time we are in the same locale

Tomacawk

Smash Master
George I'm not saying I'm better than kirk I'm saying I have done many things voorhese has not. Like win moneymatches vs tink and kels' falcon.
Okay voorhese I've been thinking.
50$ MM. Put up or shut up.

'Fro

Smash Lord
i think pools were seeded bad, thats why adam didnt make it out
Adam was a late entry after the original pools were already made. To seed him in correctly, we would have had to restart the entire tournament after several sets had already been played.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
@Fro

Pool 1(PR)

goose(1)
me(5)
Adam(6) - came late
voorheese(8)
Brain(10)
Skylar(17)
Andre(19)

Pool 2(PR)

Kirkq(2)
Fro(4)
Hippy(7)
DJ(14)
Lance(15)
Brett(16)

I think its pretty obvious. My pool had 5 people ranked 10 or better, and pool 2 had 3. Simply placing Adam in the other pool would have been far better, evening it to 4 and 4. I know 10 is an arbitrary but I think it makes sense looking at the rankings. Also people ranked 10 or better would have made it out of pools, assuming no upsets.

Look at it this way. The 4th spot in pool 2 was given to Lance, a 15 seed. Basically thats Adam's spot(or hippies). Sorry Lance XD

@Carl

That's a horrible idea. I think our PR system is perfect because it is self correcting and has no bias. So many PR threads are overrun with arguments about who should be placed where and disagreements with the panel.

Ours is based on your own drive to succeed. think your better than the guy above you? challenge him. you decide the results.

Our only real disadvantage is taking up time playing challenge matches(which are good tournament experience and make our community better), and the number 1 seed has to accept challenges and has nothing to gain but keep their own spot. I was thinking some stipulation could be added to give them some incentive?? But it is pretty minor, and if they are that good then they should beat all challengers.

Too bad goose has to keep accepting challenges from us nubs.

@Craig

I had the same thoughts...

George, you're just a fob.
lol

kirkq

Smash Ace
Pool 1(Ranking out of people entered)

goose(1)
george(4)
Adam(5) - came late
voorheese(7)
Brain(8)
Skylar(12)
Andre(13)

Pool 2(Ranking out of people entered)

Kirkq(2)
Fro(3)
Hippy(6)
DJ(9)
Lance(10)
Brett(11)

Adam theoretically should have had a harder time in Pool 2 because Hippy is ranked higher than Voorhese.

Theoretically the pools should have been (I think this is right...)

(1)Goose
(4)George
(5)Adam
(8)Brain
(9)DJ
(12)Skylar
(13)Andre

(2)Kirkq
(3)Fro
(6)Hippy
(7)Voorhese
(10)Lance
(11)Brett

Voorhese should have technically been swapped with DJ. The three more crucial problems are 1: Hippy probably shouldn't be ranked above Voorhese, 2: Adam shouldn't lose to Voorhese, and 3: Voorhese shouldn't lose to Brain.

I would just write it off as '**** happens' Statistically, the pools really weren't that imbalanced.

Also, if we seed too strictly by the Power Rankings, the pools are going to be almost the same every week. We should make sure this doesn't occur.

'Fro

Smash Lord
George, and Kirk, thanks for putting all of this forward. I'll be sure to take keep it all in mind for upcoming tourneys.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
I really shouldn't be winning these any more. Goose plays better than me head to head. George, you're just a fob.
This is easily debatable (except the last sentence, of course). I mean, you beat me pretty soundly on FD, and I feel that's one of my better stages against you. The bottom line is that I felt I played well against you in both sets, and well, you pulled through in the clutch to win. And the two sets against George, well, although it took him some time to get in the swing of things, you played particularly well against him too (and for how much it pains me to admit it, he perhaps isn't QUITE as much of a pushover as he used to be [:p]), so I don't see how you shouldn't have won this thing.

Hmm, I am unfamiliar with this music. Craig, you said this is FFX? What is an FFX?

Also, if we seed too strictly by the Power Rankings, the pools are going to be almost the same every week. We should make sure this doesn't occur.
Good point. A few of us talked about this a couple weeks back, and these were mainly our sentiments too.

George, your pic made me laf.

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
Tell me when Game Bridge gets here DJ. Then we can record some mad friendlies : D.
Will do hopefully we can get some recordings of everyone. On a side note Marth is one of my side characters for power ranking purposes. Ive used him more than Ive used shiek in the past 2 tournies.

I was disappointed with my last performance at ssbo. I want to play smash a decent amount before the final ssbo. I have lots of free time send me a pm or a text or a post on here if your interested in smashing on some days ill be gone all this weekend.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Yes, **** happens Kirk. I'm just curious as to WHAT actually made me fail to continue to brackets.

As for more smash, I'd like to play more.

voorhese

Smash Master
Yes, **** happens Kirk. I'm just curious as to WHAT actually made me fail to continue to brackets.

As for more smash, I'd like to play more.
basically we tied in almost every single way possible, but i went on because to much **** went wrong for u on that last game

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Adam, I may have the story incorrectly, but I believe what happened is that you and Voorheese tied in points for last seed in brackets, but since Voorheese actually beat you during your set with him, that ultimately broke the tiebreaker.

voorhese

Smash Master
Adam, I may have the story incorrectly, but I believe what happened is that you and Voorheese tied in points for last seed in brackets, but since Voorheese actually beat you during your set with him, that ultimately broke the tiebreaker.
^ yah that 10chars

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Well, if that is true. Thanks Matt.

Okay, I'm extremely bored out of my mind right now. If someone is up for smash right now, call me. 765-409-5929. I'm just pretty much going to wonder around town aimlessly for a bit till something comes up.

'Fro

Smash Lord
This is the truth of the matter.

Top Bottom