• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario RPG

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to get this game, and was waiting for it to be released on VC, but I'd really rather get the original as long as I don't spend too much on it.
Granted, I haven't played the game before, and I hear a lot of raving fans, but I also hear a lot of people saying it's overrated, so I'm not assuming it's awesome enough to spend $70 on on eBay.

I know I can get it for $8 on VC, but I prefer to play the original.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I just found out it's out, I need to get it. I hope I have enough points because I don't feel like going to the store.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I want to get this game, and was waiting for it to be released on VC, but I'd really rather get the original as long as I don't spend too much on it.
Granted, I haven't played the game before, and I hear a lot of raving fans, but I also hear a lot of people saying it's overrated, so I'm not assuming it's awesome enough to spend $70 on on eBay.

IMO $8>having the original for $70. I might get this game, it seems pretty good.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93

Many people who think this is overated are Final Fantasy fanboys..and I think 7 is overated..It's just how it goes(not always).

Get the $8. It's the same, but cheaper(Ihave the SNES version, but I can't resist to get the VC as well).

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Many people who think this is overated are Final Fantasy fanboys..and I think 7 is overated..It's just how it goes(not always).

Get the $8. It's the same, but cheaper(Ihave the SNES version, but I can't resist to get the VC as well).
Simple, FF7 is.
Very...very...overrated.
That game has aged horribly.

SMRPG, while imo its very overrated, has aged very well and can still be enjoyed.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Or think that Mario in a Square RPG is a gimmick for Square and stick to their lame ***, truly over rated Fire Emblems or Paper Marios, or the great Earthbound and Golden Sun, to stay away from Square Enix cuz theyse sony!!! :/

M.K

Level 55
Or think that Mario in a Square RPG is a gimmick for Square and stick to their lame ***, truly over rated Fire Emblems or Paper Marios, or the great Earthbound and Golden Sun, to stay away from Square Enix cuz theyse sony!!! :/
Yeah, but Paper Mario isn't overrated. The writing is spectacular, and the overall creativity flows throughout the entire game. It deserves the high scores it gets.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I just got it and it's pretty good so far. I found Croco and Mack a pain though especially because the only way I could make them take damage is by using Fire Orb and Thunderbolt over and over again.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I CANNOT beat Yardovich.
Lol yeah, he was a tuffy first time through..
^ I hate that guy! It always takes me about 5 tries until I beat him -_-
The Axem Rangers are much tougher then this guy..well, I thought so first time through the game. Of course, I never got a game over in this game..some close calls though(I.E. Axem Rangers gave me a run for my money..they ALMOST beat me.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Not posted in a long time, but I bear good news. It was nice to see that my thread was successful in attracting Mario and other RPG'rs to share their experiences.

Enough chit chat. As many of you may know by now, the new DS, called DSi, is going to be hosting a variety of different games, which all seem incredibly fun. Now it is also going to be the host of several new RPGs. Unfortunately, not much is known on Mario and Luigi 3, but we can speculate that they might be looking at Super Mario RPG while making this.

It is a possibility that characters such as Geno and Mallow may appear in the game, considering the fact that Geno had a minor Cameo in the series, and the fact that the DSi presentation video which contained footage of Mario and Luigi 3, also showed the player fighting as Bowser. Most interesting is the fact that some of the people that are making the game also made Super Mario RPG.

Now I'm not promising anything, but there might be a chance to see the characters from our past return when they failed to get in Brawl. There's a chance, but don't count on it. At all. Trust me, if you hope for something in a game, you almost definately will NOT get it (SPORE, anyone?).

Anyways, good luck with your games and I hope you guys are enjoying SMRPG! :smash:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Due to copyright reasons, it won't happen. It can only happen if Square licenses those characters to Nintendo.
Anyway, Anyone else reached Culex yet?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
It feels bizarre to see people in 2008 expressing trouble over a game I beat when I was 8 (that's a decade ago). Ah well, I'm far behind on so many games (see: Space Invaders) it doesn' t matter. As long as more people are exposed, that's all that matters in terms of a potential sequel.

Yeah. I reached him roughly nine years ago. Beat him three years ago >_>
Ten and eight/present respectively. He's a pushover with Mario + Lazy Shell, Bowser + Jinx Belt, and Toadstool + Lazy Shell above L23. But that's cheating. Using Mallow and Toadstool w/o LS armor would be waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder.

M@v

Subarashii!
Axem rangers remind me of the ginyu force for some odd reason. Probably because they act ******** before they fight.

Anybody else agree?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
...which is why it was immediately noticeable.

Circular logic FTW.

Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools. ~Haiku

Also, anyone who could care less about fighting
Exor
could
use the 9999 Geno Whirl trick after disabling the Eyes and Neosquid for an OHKO. This is the only boss this works on.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
I got Super Mario RPG as soon as I saw it was available.

With my luck, I never could have held onto a SNES long enough to get good games before they broke down. Thank goodness I discovered ROMs.... I mean, y'know... Not supporting illegal ROMs, but these opened me up to experiences of grand proportions... EarthBound, Marvel Super Heroes, the first Zelda, and... Super Mario RPG. This was a grand experience, but... I honestly believe that playing video games on a console with the real controller is the only way to play these games. I mean, I enjoyed going through the game, but I couldn't stay with it all the way through. Now, having it on my Wii, it causes my elation.

I like RPG's anyway, the character development, the strengthening, the powers, the weapon and item attainment, strategy, etc. And I loved how Square referred to Mario's constant jumping making him famous, and how they implemented original characters. Geno the doll was ingenious. A cloud who thinks he's a frog? True Mario goodness. I mean, I'm not big enough of a Mario fan that I collect all the Mario Parties, sports, etc., but he appeals to my nostalgic self. One of my fondest memories consist of the days I would get up early in the morning so I could play Super Mario World before school.

Super Mario RPG is not a game to fade away into forgotten history. It has been chiseled into a classic and isn't going anywhere. It's not open for critique anymore. It's a key game to experience, and can't be treated otherwise.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Wow, no one posted in two months.. I hope this isn't considered a necro.

Well, another year has gone by, and it seems that Super Mario RPG is still fun to play during any occasion. Hell, it's a good game. Let's hope this year we see something more of this game. The fact that SMRPG Legacy has shut down 'temporarily' isn't really very promising towards this game's future. I only hope for the best.

I just wanted to bring back this thread for the people who haven't yet played it, spread the word. I'm a Geno fan at heart <3, and I want to make last a bit longer in our minds right here. Here's to hoping for the best for this game.

Cheers!

P.S. Mario and Luigi 3 looks very promising. Share your thoughts about that. Do you think we will see another cameo from SMRPG? Mallow, maybe?

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
M&L3 does indeed look promising. I've always thought the series were an extension of SMRPG.
Too bad you can only play as the brothers. Maybe some old friends can help during special moves?

Ange

Smash Lord
Wikipedia said:
It will have new features, such as the ability to play as Bowser. The game is in the same graphical style as the other Mario and Luigi games, and has the same battle system. This game was shown as a preview in the magazine Nintendo Power.
Woahaha, Bowser? I have the previous two M&L games, so I think Im getting this aswell.
Mallow and Geno would feel amazing to see again tho. :D

As for SMRPG, It feels GREAT to be european and owning this Japan/US-only SNES game. Clearly one of the best Mario games in video-game history IMO. Anyone who has the ability to buy it thru Virtual Console should do it, its totally worth it.
I dont know about chances of second-hand ones, this game is rare and old, and you need a SNES adapter to play it on the PAL version, WHICH I dont know if you can find anymore lol.

I just hope they wont create an unneccessary remake of this game. Originals are originals, some of them are not MENT to be remaked.

A Sequel, however, COULD be pretty interesting. As long as they wont change the graphic style (although updated, but keep the same style), play as other characters (maybe more?) and an original storyline that SMRPG had. Although I dont know if this would be possible, as SMRPG is a Nintendo and Square product. /:

****it, I always write miles long replies. x_x

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Woahaha, Bowser? I have the previous two M&L games, so I think Im getting this aswell.
Mallow and Geno would feel amazing to see again tho. :D

As for SMRPG, It feels GREAT to be european and owning this Japan/US-only SNES game. Clearly one of the best Mario games in video-game history IMO. Anyone who has the ability to buy it thru Virtual Console should do it, its totally worth it.
I dont know about chances of second-hand ones, this game is rare and old, and you need a SNES adapter to play it on the PAL version, WHICH I dont know if you can find anymore lol.

I just hope they wont create an unneccessary remake of this game. Originals are originals, some of them are not MENT to be remaked.

A Sequel, however, COULD be pretty interesting. As long as they wont change the graphic style (although updated, but keep the same style), play as other characters (maybe more?) and an original storyline that SMRPG had. Although I dont know if this would be possible, as SMRPG is a Nintendo and Square product. /:

****it, I always write miles long replies. x_x
Yeah sadly they cant .. thats why they have been putting out the mario and luigi series.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
This was my first and only RPG. Had it years ago for SNES, now I have it on Virtual Console. I'm amazed that I remember most of what I have to do.

The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't have a ton of replay value. Once you complete it you kind of end up setting it aside for months until you're in the mood to go through it again. Terrific game, though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I've played Paper Mario:ATYD but 've never actually played this game before, but i've heard good things about it, and considering it was developed by Square, I am considering to possibly get it on VC sometime soon after it's release, why is it that people like Geno so badly?

Alzi

Smash Master
lol I think Booster is a parody of Wario...
If you go to Booster Tower and look at the pictures on the wall one of them looks like wario :p

why is it that people like Geno so badly?
Once you play the game you will understand. I was thinking the same then i played the game and really saw why theres so much love for Geno. Too bad this game never came to Australia so i had to buy it on the VC i prefer buying the old games with there actual carts.

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
I recently downloaded mario RPG. After playing it, Im more convinced than ever that Geno should come back

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario RPG was the first RPG I played without my older brother's help. To this day, it holds a very special place in my heart.

... Except this one part at the end of Land's End, when you climb up vines through the clouds to reach Nimbus Land. There's one jump there that I swear makes the game **** near unplayable. It's a jump from one vine to a vine that's higher up, but also slightly forward (as in, towards the TV screen, away from Mario). It's an incredibly awkward angle to jump at, and if you miss, you have an unforgivably long climb back up to try again. The game is still one of my all time favorites, but I absolutely LOATHE that part.

Oh, and Geno for SSB4. Just sayin'.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Best part of any game ever, hideing behind the curtins when whats his name is looking for his doll.

Leave Geno in the hole. It was all about the Mallow baby.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario RPG was the first RPG I played without my older brother's help. To this day, it holds a very special place in my heart.

... Except this one part at the end of Land's End, when you climb up vines through the clouds to reach Nimbus Land. There's one jump there that I swear makes the game **** near unplayable. It's a jump from one vine to a vine that's higher up, but also slightly forward (as in, towards the TV screen, away from Mario). It's an incredibly awkward angle to jump at, and if you miss, you have an unforgivably long climb back up to try again. The game is still one of my all time favorites, but I absolutely LOATHE that part.

Oh, and Geno for SSB4. Just sayin'.
Just passed that part. Sucks.

Booster is the one missing his Mario doll, BTW.

One thing about Geno and Mallow, though. If they were to be in Smash Bros, what would their voices be? They talk in SMRPG, but are not given a voice.

Ange

Smash Lord
One thing about Geno and Mallow, though. If they were to be in Smash Bros, what would their voices be? They talk in SMRPG, but are not given a voice.
Something tells me Mallow would have some kind of Kirby-like voice, although not quite the same, and maybe darker/not so high-pitched, but something around there.

For Geno... thats a really hard question. Does he even need a voice? 0_0 He could be one of these characters that like.. never speaks.

Top Bottom