• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy vs. Super Mario Galaxy 2

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Well, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been out for more than half a year now, and the timeless debate continues: does it really top the original?

I bought SMG2 on the 25th and now have 91 stars. While I have not completed it (or come even close), I have a pretty good feel for what the game is like. My take: both games are excellent, but the original is superior. Here are a few reasons why:

-Much better music. SMG's music ranged from epic to beautiful to angry, and all the way back. SMG2's music was... it was good, but kind of flat. Starship Mario's music, while pretty "fun" sounding, was much inferior to the breathtaking Comet Observatory's theme, for example. Plus, much of the music in SMG2 was recycled from the first one.

-More exploratory. This one is kind of personal taste: do you like the pure platforming experience or the exploration of a vast world more? I'm in between, and SMG had both. Some galaxies (Beach Bowl, HoneyHive, etc.) were pretty big and had a good multitude of stars, while there were plenty of frenzied platforming experiences as well. SMG2 had better pure platforming and tons of levels, but the galaxies were really short and never gave you the chance to have fun exploring them. The Comet Observatory may have been somewhat too big, but didn't you like running around and finding 1-Up mushrooms? It also gave you a nice break between levels. I explored the entirety of Starship Mario in what seemed like half a minute, then barely ventured outside of the "Select Galaxy" button ever again. Boring.

-More creative. I'm going to take a lot of heat for saying this. I don't mean to say that SMG2 wasn't creative; it was. But it was also missing many of the memorable features from the original, or didn't use them enough. Where are the Sling Pods? The Cosmic Comets, racing Cosmic Luigi? I also found myself frustrated with Rock Mario, who was hard to control, and the drill, which was just lame, while awesome power-ups like Boo Mario were barely used at all. The "space theme" of the original seemed to be neglected as well. I feel like Galaxy 2 sacrificed some of the original's varied features in lieu of creating a more streamlined platforming experience. Was it worth it? Eh...

So there you have it. In general, I wasn't a big fan of how streamlined the second Galaxy was; it was very polished, but you just rush through the entire game without being encouraged to slow down and appreciate the individual galaxies, the hub world, and their respective music. Super Mario Galaxy 2 may be the ultimate, pure platforming experience, but I want the more complete package in the original Super Mario Galaxy.

And, of course, it must be noted that both games are freaking awesome!!! before we launch into hateful debate. Questions, comments, concerns? What's your opinion?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Galaxy 2. It took the first game and improved everything. Same good music, just a tad better graphics (really not much though), and some debatably harder stages.

It also gave a hefty throwback that was interesting and refreshing. Yoshi was a good mechanic as well, and he doesn't freaking die in water.

Overall, yeah, Galaxy 2 is most certainly better.

BSP

Smash Legend
Galaxy 2. It barely ever repeats itself, it's more fast paced and action-packed and has almost twice the gameplay.

and it got rid of all the boring/stupid parts of Galaxy 1.
That. I can't go back to 1 after playing 2.

Now if one had more levels with the red star....

Djent

Smash Champion
I think I actually enjoyed Galaxy 1 more at the time because the experience felt more fresh. But now that I've played both, I prefer to play Galaxy 2 for the reasons people have already stated. I like how they tailored the sequel specifically for people who were returning to the franchise...an unusual move for Nintendo as of late. ;)

It's kind of hard to say, though. I think 2 was a superior game, but it also hit me at a time when I had already played 1 for hundreds of hours. So I think it felt less magical because of my actions, not the developer's.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ The only flaw Galaxy really have was most of the boss battles you can finish in less than 30 seconds, except for Bouldergeist, and after you beat the game, you have to rebeat the game with Luigi to get the final star. Both really great games, just Galaxy 2 cover up near every flaw Galaxy had, and added Yoshi. =D

Patinator

Smash Champion
Hmm... hard choice. I love both games...

If I had to choose... I would go with the original. Not by much, but... yeah. It just strikes me as a deeper game... why, I don't know. But Galaxy 2 just seemed... rushed, story-wise. Yeah, Mario games have little story to begin with, but at least Galaxy 1 had Rosalina's back-story. Galaxy 2... there's little more than what the original Super Mario Bros. had.

Then you have the music... I love both games' soundtracks, but I choose Galaxy 1 over 2 here as well. Galaxy 1's music just seemed... fresher, I guess. It just doesn't seem to be quite as good.

Graphics... both games are amazing. To me, anyhoo.

I don't really care too much about Galaxy 2 having Yoshi in it... if anything, it's a tad frustrating for me at times.

So yeah. Chalk up one for Galaxy 1.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hmm... hard choice. I love both games...

If I had to choose... I would go with the original. Not by much, but... yeah. It just strikes me as a deeper game... why, I don't know. But Galaxy 2 just seemed... rushed, story-wise. Yeah, Mario games have little story to begin with, but at least Galaxy 1 had Rosalina's back-story. Galaxy 2... there's little more than what the original Super Mario Bros. had.
This is why I love it. keep your story out of my Mario games! gameplay is more important. I never once went into the Library in Galaxy 1 after I realized it was just a plot dump

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
About the music... I actually prefer SMG2's soundtrack. I love BOTH but I really love what SMG2 did overall, they improved upon what SMG had. I find myself listening to SMG2 a lot more. Those overworld theme's really get me most, they're just so beautiful.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
This is why I love it. keep your story out of my Mario games! gameplay is more important. I never once went into the Library in Galaxy 1 after I realized it was just a plot dump
Yeah I laughed at people when they were weirded out by Galaxy 2's story
being a basic reset
. It's like, c'mon guys, this is a MARIO game, you rarely play it for the story (Paper Mario?).

I did also just remember one thing I miss. The Ice Flower. That was hands down my favorite ability from 1, and they took it out in 2. Sort of disappointed.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
But Galaxy 2 just seemed... rushed, story-wise. Yeah, Mario games have little story to begin with, but at least Galaxy 1 had Rosalina's back-story. Galaxy 2... there's little more than what the original Super Mario Bros. had.
Pat asking for a good story in a Mario platformer is like asking for a good story in Tetris.

You don't play the games for the repetitive storyline "Z0mgggggg peECH G0T KapTUrD!!!," you play them for the platforming, and Galaxy 2 1-Ups Galaxy 1 in almost every platforming aspect: more levels, harder difficulty, more variety, better abilities, YOSHI, etc.

Ya know there's a reason people call Galaxy 2 the best 3D platformer of all time.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah I laughed at people when they were weirded out by Galaxy 2's story
being a basic reset
. It's like, c'mon guys, this is a MARIO game, you rarely play it for the story (Paper Mario?).

I did also just remember one thing I miss. The Ice Flower. That was hands down my favorite ability from 1, and they took it out in 2. Sort of disappointed.
That, and they still didn't really do anything with the Red Star, but I still enjoyed both games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I just beat Galaxy 2 100% a couple of hours and I also have to cast my vote for it as well. Like everyone else is saying, Galaxy 2 took just about everything from Galaxy and made it better. Here are the things I personally preferred in Galaxy 2:

1. More/better bosses (I especially liked both versions of Gobblegut. The fact that they included all the best bosses from the first game (except Davy Bones for obvious reasons) made it that much better. )

2. More difficult (In the first Galaxy, I think there were only maybe 2 missions that cost me more than 10 lives while Galaxy 2 had probably about a dozen. I especially applaude what they did with the green stars because some of them forced you to go through the trial and error method to actually get them. The Cosmo Mario's were also a nice touch in some of the prankster comet stages. )

3. The Cloud Suit is probably my favorite Mario power up in a long time. It was made for making shortcuts and showing off your platforming skills. I also really like Rock Mario and I hope both abilities return in future installments.

4. I liked the way they implemented Yoshi into the game. In Super Mario Sunshine, he felt thrown in especially with the weird (and slightly disturbing) way that he barfed up juice to mimic the FLUDD. In Galaxy 2, he seemed like a natural fit and I liked that they gave him power ups too.

5. The "reward" for getting all 240 stars was also a whole lot better. Super Galaxy's "final stage" insulted my intelligence while Galaxy 2's was a breath of fresh air for a franchise that usually sticks its hands in its pockets once you get everything.

6. Better stage design and the 2-3 main missions per stage really broke up the monatomy that plagued the earlier 3D Marios (especially 64).

7. It's kind of stupid but I really liked how you could play during the credits. It was a nice addition and I hope Nintendo does this in more games in the future.

I will give Galaxy some things over Galaxy 2. I will say that not only did it have the better soundtrack but it is also far, far more memorable. The fact that Galaxy 2 even had the Gusty Galaxy and Good Egg Galaxy tracks in it further supports this. Galaxy was one of those games where you could just put down the controller for 10 minutes just to listen to the music and a Mario game with that good of a soundtrack is probably many, many years off.

Some other things I liked better were Rosalina's Picture Book as well as the more involved story. Galaxy was a masterpiece all onto itself but I do believe Galaxy 2 did surpass it. Now, I wouldn't go as far as saying that Galaxy 2 compared to Galaxy is the equivalent of SMB3 compared to SMB but it fine tuned what made Galaxy so great. In a sense, it built off the foundation of the first game to create a better experience overall.

Hammerbro

Smash Rookie
They were both great games, but Galaxy 2 is better in my opinion. The storyline in Galaxy 1 was deeper, but that's what I didn't like about it. The main Mario series are purely for entertainment, not deep and depressing storyline. That's why they made Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi RPG's.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
They were both great games, but Galaxy 2 is better in my opinion. The storyline in Galaxy 1 was deeper, but that's what I didn't like about it. The main Mario series are purely for entertainment, not deep and depressing storyline. That's why they made Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi RPG's.
SMG was depressing? Ooookay.

Well I'm liking SMG2 more, I just wish there was more original orchestrated music.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Galaxy 2 wins automatically for the first Melty Monster Galaxy level... So much fun. And the music is amazing. ^.^

THIS is the level I'm referring to.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Galaxy 2 all the way. I loved the gameplay a lot. I didn't finish the first Galaxy through (because I used a gamesave to finish the game :p)
The first one, however, has superior music. Gusty Garden and Good Egg Galaxy have amazing music. The Final boss music was similar in both. 2 had a remix of 1's final boss.
And my favorite part:
THROWBACK GALAXY! There should be more remastered SM64 stages.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Super Mario Galaxy 2 better than Super Mario Galaxy. It's not night vs day, but it's not entirely that close either.

SMG has a better Bowser fight, story, and Bowser boss music.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
To be honest, I really wish they chose a different world for Throwback Galaxy.

I didn't really like the Bowser fights in either game, though I slightly prefer G2's.

My favorite moment in either game is that one later level in Galaxy 2. I cant remember the name of it. It was basically just a really long underwater tunnel, but when you come out, you arrive at this incredibly beautiful sunset scene and the music changes to something very meditative. I got such a weirdly strong feeling of peace when this happened.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
SMG2 is my favorite Mario game of all time. Like.. I really enjoyed it, more than I ever thought I would. Even the Waggle wasn't too bad.

I'm curious to try SMG1. I wanna play it.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy 2 definitely as it appears to be a proof read and edited version of the original Mario Galaxy. Yes, there are differences; however, Galaxy 2 was not as complex as the former game in terms of the story mode and I also found the second game to be a lot more fun and challenging.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
There were quite a few boring parts in Galaxy 1... Purple comets where you had to search the entire galaxy for the 100 purple coins, for example.

I mean, Galaxy 1 was an amazing game, kinda memorable to boot, but if you're looking for fun and challenges, Galaxy 2 is better imo.

Some of the music in SMG2 was just a disappointing sped-up, more high-pitched version of the awesome SMG1 tracks, though.

MarioFan81

Smash Rookie
Totally going with Galaxy 2, more challenging than the first and more Green Stars. It's not like SMG were you play as Luigi at the end, better with SMG2 because you can be Luigi anytime yiu want(If you find him). I'm not a fan of the Dare Devil Stars, though. Plus, more 2D Gaming, NSMB Style! Although sometimes Green Stars suck depending where they are.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Personally I think that Galaxy 2 is not as good of a game. There are some great aspects to it, but I have to stick with the first one.

Since people are bringing up the Bowser fights, I might as well mention that first. I got both games the day they came out and I played through the first one like crazy and all. SMG2 I had for a year and only completed the game (not 100%) earlier this summer. When I got to the final Bowser fight I was quite disappointed because I didn't die once and it was a breeze. I felt like the game shouldn't have ended that fast.

Next I'd like to discuss the level design. SMG2 had some awesome levels, but they all only had a couple power stars each so a player did not really get to explore the world in the same depth that they did on SMG 1, Sunshine and Mario 64. One thing I really like about games is getting to explore worlds and look around. Most of the worlds on the first game were pretty good, while in the sequel there were quite a few I couldn't stand.

I can agree with people that Mario games don't need a deep story, but I did like Rosalina and her story.

It also didn't help that rather than create a new adventure Mario was back in space. I like both games a lot, but no fresh ideas probably did not help Galaxy 2 in my books. The music on the first one is also better imo.

Both are good games, but for some reason (I don't really know why) the sequel did not keep my attention span for nearly as long and didn't get close to the same amount of play as I put into Super Mario Galaxy. I think that SMG2 might have some added value if a player hasn't tried the first title, but I'm going to stick with SMG1 as the better game.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy 2 was always fun and better to me; however, I did not like the hub (Starship Mario). After playing Sunshine and playing around in Delfino Plaza; the Starship felt so empty and small. Did anyone else find this as a problem for SMG2 (it made sunshine feel bigger to me in my opinion).

| Big D |

Smash Master
I really liked the soundtrack I think that SMG had the better soundtrack. Just in general, but the remixes were really cool when you first heard them but long term SMG's is superior.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Galaxy 2 was always fun and better to me; however, I did not like the hub (Starship Mario). After playing Sunshine and playing around in Delfino Plaza; the Starship felt so empty and small. Did anyone else find this as a problem for SMG2 (it made sunshine feel bigger to me in my opinion).
I felt like the hub was missing something too. I've always enjoyed the main area/hub/map on any Mario game, and SMG2 felt a little empty. I remember the days of walking around Yoshi's Island on Super Mario World as a kid, and Delfino Plaza too :D

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Can you explain what you mean by timewasting? It's not that "huge" overall. I know you could do a few extra small things there, but in size it's not really a whole lot bigger than Peach's castle on Super Mario 64. I know the debate is about Galaxy 1 & 2 but I think it's a working formula. In Galaxy 2 it's pretty small which isn't necessarily bad, but it's just shaped like Mario's head and it's kind of lame. If you're just trying to play the game, there's nothing at all wrong with that, but I like to mess around and stuff a lot so I didn't particularly enjoy it. I spent a lot of time having fun in the observatory on Galaxy 1 as well as Delfino on Sunshine and the castle on SM64. On Galaxy 2 there's not very many things to do in the hub and it's visually lacking.

I always liked hub worlds on Mario games for visuals and for playing around (its fun to relax and exploit the game) and while it's not a giant feature, I think that Galaxy 1 is more up to par on the hub as opposed to the sequel. Granted it's not a significant game changer when considering the games themselves, but it's one of those small things I feel like they could have done a better job at on Galaxy 2.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I like Galaxy 2 better. It takes nearly everything good about SMG1 and makes it better. I do miss The Ice Flower and underused Boo Mushroom. In addition, SMG2 had WHITTLES (also known as cutest sentient beings in the mario universe)!!

whAmm3y

Smash Rookie
SMG is far superior music wise but apart from that SMG 2 is better in almost every way and I agree that it takes all the best parts from SMG and makes them even better :D
but will there be a 3 O__o

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I enjoyed playing Galaxy 1 more than Galaxy 2, however Galaxy 2 is still the better between the two.

The only reason why I didn't enjoy it more was because I already played Galaxy 1 which was very similar, making the hype for the second game not as great.

Fares242

Smash Rookie
Super Mario Galaxy vs Super Mario Galaxy 2

Well, smg2? It has been a good game with a neat attractive gameplay.
But, does it top off the great moments of Rosalina, the touch of the lumas, the great moments of the galactic proportions of smg1?
I DOUBT IT!
Super Mario Galaxy took care of its quality nice & neat! It had a storyline & gave the value to the galactic touch thus creating a new trend of a new epic adventure!!! The sense of the galaxy accompanies you & serves you well! The originality gives it all!
Super Mario Galaxy 2 continues the wave of the galaxies, but lowers the theme's expectations & the storyline was dramatically struck-out! It was a bad example for the first. True it has yoshi, true it has more challenges & has a great gameplay, but the original Super Mario Galaxy blows it away!!!

Top Bottom