• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's a standard tool with the power of a gimp and none of the work once you get the setup.

It's really more like the best of both worlds with none of the usual drawbacks. The only 'drawback' is Nana sometimes dying, but I look at ICs as a character that changes as the stock plays out so I don't really feel that's a real argument.
Didn't you earlier say that puff can't fish for rest the entire match, while ICs can? You just pointed out that the character "changes" yourself here. You can't seriously mean that ICs can fish for it the entire stock because when it can't the character "changed"? I already said twice that nana is actually pretty easy to kill/gimp for alot of characters so this affects the power of wobbling alot. Many players do seem to choose to go for popo more though, even though nana/the stupid CPU should be the more reliable choice, and with pretty good reward considering how much it handicaps the character as a whole.

I get that if ice climbers simply died when nana died, then they could do that, but then the character would be even worse. If the character is horrible anyway, then such a single "broken" strategy shouldn't really be a problem.

The rest of the post I don't disagree with as such, and you even said yourself that it isn't certain that wobbling is broken because of this. At this moment though, nothing has hinted at it being it though, and there is currently no real reason to call it as such.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Please move further discussion about wobbling to the ICs boards, you'll have better input there and I don't want the sheik thread to be derailed too much. :)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Please move further discussion about wobbling to the ICs boards, you'll have better input there and I don't want the sheik thread to be derailed too much. :)
Don't worry too much about derailing in socials the discussion is perfectly fine.

Yea, stelzig I'm sure he was just concerned. But yea don't sweat it, you're all free to talk about it.

Also ICs vs Fox is terrible. I literally have NO idea what to do in that match up :<

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I was playing captainsmuckers (I think thats his name? I know its captain something....) and he would literally dair shine my climbers, shine nana off then shine her on her DJ.

It was .... really depressing. I wasn't even CGing :<

Unknown, just to clarify I meant I'm the ICs lmao.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Wow, I would not feel very confident trying to Dair ice climbers. That double shield.

It is indeed awesome how nana almost always DJs after being shined off-stage though. Shine and Bair (preferably behind shield) on ICs all day.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
As long as you do it in the middle between them it *seems* fine. Not totally sure how that works but I couldn't shield grab it ever. I was kinda just forced to roll away and have nana throw a smash or something.

Though, day 1 playing vs fox so I was expecting it to be really hard.

stelzig

Smash Lord
If he can l-cancel it, I think it is pretty safe. I was only thinking about how difficult that is to do with fox. If my fox wasn't horrible and I practiced l-cancelling Dairs on doubleshield, then I probably would be more confident going for that :p

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think all you really have to do is press L like a moment later than you normally would lol.

It kinda sucks that desynchs aren't as effective against him as I'd hope. He's just waaaaaaaaay too fast :<

stelzig

Smash Lord
Obviously. There's just alot of hitlag with Dair on ICs shields and it screws with my timing alot. Maybe I just suck, but I thought it was pretty common to be thrown off by ICs shield with pretty much any move :)

My fox isn't normally this awful (but it is awful, I just played particularely bad in this set with both sheik and fox... And you'll notice a fair amount of missed l-cancels in general if you watch it), but wow, look at this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiPIcqFOA-M#t=3m

He can even do falcon style grabs on me after a missed Dair l-cancel

unknown522

Some guy
Oh yeah. Do that chu light shield trick. Grab them, then wobble (or some variation of an infinite).

If they don't attack or platform camp you, then you're probably screwed unless they mess up. Try to tag them with a jab to top approaches or prevent them from running away on the ground.

:phone:

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Cactuar has SDI'd my shine spike in a Fox ditto hard enough to be able to land onstage after.
I actually learned how to do this out of desperation in the middle of a tournament teams match. It is amazing in teams just because of how much time it buys your teammate to come to your aid, so repeated shinespikes are unlikely in that scenario.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It's not about the topic derailing, as much as it's the conversation turning into a large argument being specifically about another character and would have better input in its respective board.

It was more of a suggestion, anyways.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
It's a bit iffy to say that it just equals a stock when pulling it off. As I told you, you have to have nana close to you and it is very avoidable. I guess all these throw combos at KO percent that characters have are broken too. Especially that uthrow > rest that jiggs has. Sure people can DI the uthrow if they react or are prepared, but once it is pulled off, it equates to a "free stock".

That utilt from ganon and roy's charge B is also totally broken. Don't care how avoidable these moves are, once they are pulled off they equal death. Wobbling may be slightly easier to set up (aka, it is actually useful), but by your definition, these moves are just as "broken".

Edit: Tbh, the single climber chaingrab actually probably bothers me more as sheik, lol. That chaingrab also making it easier to get the wobble because you can use it until nana is ready to set it up =L
I happen to think that Jigg's rest combos are also "broken". Top tier is top tier, imo, because each of them happens to have some broken move/mechanic that can be spammed or abused with beneficial results. Ganon's utilt and roy's neutral B are not broken because they require the enemy to simply run into them. They cannot be set up for. No matter what you do, short of breaking the opponent's shield the enemy will always have enough time to get out of hitstun, react, and escape. As you said, wobbling requires Nana to be close, but once the it is set up, wobbling is inescapable and death is unavoidable.

Beat's answer is better. ;)
No. :p

bubbaking, you have no idea what "completely broken" means. Something being broken means that it breaks the game, that it's (almost) unbeatable and makes pretty much everyone else unviable. If you think this is the case with wobbling then you're not following the competitive scene.

There are tons of stuff in this game that equate a free stock once you pull it off, and a lot of them are much easier to pull off than wobbling (not to mention that they are accessible to better characters), because landing a grab with ICs isn't exactly super easy.

If wobbling actually was broken, then ICs would be beating everyone else. That's the definution of the word.

So, as I said, ICs don't automatically win wobbling-legal tournaments, because wobbling isn't broken.
IMO, the term "broken" refers to something that potentially makes or 'breaks' a matchup. When I say 'make or break', I am not saying that it makes an MU extremely good or bad, but rather that it centralizes how that MU is played out, due to a general fear of that something. We already know about Jigg's rest combos on fast fallers, so as an example, I will talk about Sheik, who ***** most low tiers even harder than the spacies and Jiggs do. Amongst other things, this is largely due to Sheik's "broken" dthrow. It makes and breaks a lot of MUs. If Sheik dthrows a Samus, it equals a free fair or uair, which can translate to death in a lot of cases. Something being broken, imo, does not mean that it is almost unbeatable, but rather that it controls how a person would react to a certain char to the point that it hugely influences the outcome of the match.

I think Spacies (particularly Fox) are broken because, for the most part, they have no bad matchups. In your words, they make "pretty much everyone else unviable" (ok, maybe not unviable, but a lot less viable). They are broken chars with a broken move (shine), which isn't the only thing that makes them broken, in my eyes. A 1-frame move that is instantly cancellable, creates combos/mixups, gimps, and basically affords the user a small window of invincibility is simply too good to be true...but it is. Thank goodness Fox is such a hard char to learn and play or everyone would be in trouble right now.

Now, everyone, don't get all mad and start yelling at me. I'm simply stating my opinion on the issue and I acknowledge everyone who thinks I'm wrong or that my logic is messed up in some way. This is a pretty interesting topic. :)

I love playing fox against ICs. Even though my fox is awful and inconsistent. Don't understand how some people can find this matchup troublesome for fox... Like I think fox might even be the best against ICs. :D
I really think Peach is probably the ICs' worst MU, though...

Edit: I apologize if anything I'm saying now is redundant or untimely cuz I didn't read any posts after 9:10 PM on Monday. (>.<)

stelzig

Smash Lord
But don't you agree that the only difference between roy and ganon's useless moves and IC's wobble is that wobble is actually possible to hit? What if it was slightly harder to hit than wobbling then? To an extent where it is gimmicky and will hardly ever work, but *can* sometimes hit the opponent.... Say falcon punch level? There was a point where the power was acceptable to you, so appearently you have just set the limit earlier than me.

but anyway... The rest of your post clearly states that you use the word "broken" quite loosely and not neccesarily about broken things. Point here is that ICs are very beatable even with wobbling, and I guess you can agree with this while still calling it broken :p

Alot of people think peach is ICs worst matchup. I can sort of see why and all, but I honestly think that fox is better, though consistent techskill is really important for fox and you need to understand how to fight ICs with him... So he's less derp-ish in the matchup than peach I guess. (note that peach might not be as derp-ish as one would think if we're talking high enough level anyway)

ps. Don't talk about sheik's broken dthrow to me and beat. We don't live in that world :(

Beat!

Smash Master
IMO, the term "broken" refers to
The definition of the word "broken" is not up for discussion. Your "opinion" of what it means is irrelevant (and wrong, in this case). What I described isn't my opinion of what broken means; it's the actual definition of the word.

something that potentially makes or 'breaks' a matchup. When I say 'make or break', I am not saying that it makes an MU extremely good or bad, but rather that it centralizes how that MU is played out, due to a general fear of that something.
All matchups are centralized to some extent. If you want to argue that wobbling overcentralizes ICs' matchups to the point where all depth is removed, then sure, that's definitely a possibility. However, I'd like to point out that we're talking about ICs, a character that for the most part relies heavily on grabs, regardless of whether wobbling is banned or not. It's not like banning wobbling completely changes the way most ICs matchups are played. It will still be ICs trying to get grabs, and their opponent trying to avoid it.

We already know about Jigg's rest combos on fast fallers, so as an example, I will talk about Sheik, who ***** most low tiers even harder than the spacies and Jiggs do. Amongst other things, this is largely due to Sheik's "broken" dthrow. It makes and breaks a lot of MUs. If Sheik dthrows a Samus, it equals a free fair or uair, which can translate to death in a lot of cases.
Okay, so according to you, wobbling and Sheik's dthrow are two examples of broken moves.

... so why should the former get banned while the latter stays legal? Or do you want to ban Sheik's dthrow as well? Otherwise you're not being consistent with your own logic...

I think Spacies (particularly Fox) are broken because, for the most part, they have no bad matchups. In your words, they make "pretty much everyone else unviable" (ok, maybe not unviable, but a lot less viable). They are broken chars with a broken move (shine), which isn't the only thing that makes them broken, in my eyes. A 1-frame move that is instantly cancellable, creates combos/mixups, gimps, and basically affords the user a small window of invincibility is simply too good to be true...but it is. Thank goodness Fox is such a hard char to learn and play or everyone would be in trouble right now.

Spacies are extremely good characters, and almost everyone thinks that at least one of them is overpowered to some extent. But broken? In super theory bros, definitely. In the current metagame, evidently not. A lot of top/high level players have shown that they can keep up with - or even beat - the top spacies, using other characters.

And again, if you think spacies are broken, then why aren't you advocating their ban just as much as wobbling?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I got to play some Sheik this weekend.

Won a Sheik ditto... lost to a Ganon because I SD'd. I kind of considered playing her vs Taki... but Marth was probably my best bet. Pittsburgh is really chill.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
But don't you agree that the only difference between roy and ganon's useless moves and IC's wobble is that wobble is actually possible to hit? What if it was slightly harder to hit than wobbling then? To an extent where it is gimmicky and will hardly ever work, but *can* sometimes hit the opponent.... Say falcon punch level? There was a point where the power was acceptable to you, so appearently you have just set the limit earlier than me.

but anyway... The rest of your post clearly states that you use the word "broken" quite loosely and not neccesarily about broken things. Point here is that ICs are very beatable even with wobbling, and I guess you can agree with this while still calling it broken :p

Alot of people think peach is ICs worst matchup. I can sort of see why and all, but I honestly think that fox is better, though consistent techskill is really important for fox and you need to understand how to fight ICs with him... So he's less derp-ish in the matchup than peach I guess. (note that peach might not be as derp-ish as one would think if we're talking high enough level anyway)

ps. Don't talk about sheik's broken dthrow to me and beat. We don't live in that world :(
I see what you're saying, and yes, I probably do use the term "broken" too loosely. I still believe the ICs are very beatable, of course. I also get what you're saying about Fox and I guess he does have the potential to be much safer against the ICs than Peach.

PS. Whoops, I forgot about PAL! (>.<)

The definition of the word "broken" is not up for discussion. Your "opinion" of what it means is irrelevant (and wrong, in this case). What I described isn't my opinion of what broken means; it's the actual definition of the word.
Broken (Urban Dictionary)-"Something/Someone that is so good in a particular context that it eclipses second place."
I kinda feel like the definition I gave fits this in a sense. A matchup is played a certain way because the primary options are so much better than secondary ones. When one or more options are similar in viability, they're basically mixups.

All matchups are centralized to some extent. If you want to argue that wobbling overcentralizes ICs' matchups to the point where all depth is removed, then sure, that's definitely a possibility. However, I'd like to point out that we're talking about ICs, a character that for the most part relies heavily on grabs, regardless of whether wobbling is banned or not. It's not like banning wobbling completely changes the way most ICs matchups are played. It will still be ICs trying to get grabs, and their opponent trying to avoid it.
I did not say all depth is removed. A friend of mine plays ICs and I am all too aware of how much depth this character actually has, even though some ppl like to reduce their gameplay down to WD>dsmash and grabs. :awesome:

Okay, so according to you, wobbling and Sheik's dthrow are two examples of broken moves.

... so why should the former get banned while the latter stays legal? Or do you want to ban Sheik's dthrow as well? Otherwise you're not being consistent with your own logic...
Wait a second, when did I say anything should be banned??? (O_o) I was simply asking a question about how matchups play out in a situation where wobbling isn't banned. Please don't blow this out of context. I'm not saying anything should or shouldn't be banned. I'm not saying anything about it at all. I don't think wobbling should be banned, and neither should Sheik's dthrow. If I really believed something should be banned, it would be the Spacies' shine. :p

Spacies are extremely good characters, and almost everyone thinks that at least one of them is overpowered to some extent. But broken? In super theory bros, definitely. In the current metagame, evidently not. A lot of top/high level players have shown that they can keep up with - or even beat - the top spacies, using other characters.

And again, if you think spacies are broken, then why aren't you advocating their ban just as much as wobbling?
Again, I'm not advocating for any char's or move's ban. :glare: I simply wanted to discuss a question and I apologize if I was misleading.

Bubba stfu
Why, thank you for being so mature about it... (-_-)

tl;dr-sorry Teczero... :(

Top Bottom