• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do I beat Sheiks who are better than me? There must be some general formula. Oh, btw, thanks for the Fox advice, KK? It actually helped a lot.

Hey, who here likes to play Age of Empires II?
Brits/Longbowmen all the way.

unknown522

Some guy
I may go. I just looked into prices and it's like $38 round trip. The problem is the time that I would have to spend traveling there and back. It could take more than 14 hours each way, and I'd have to leave toronto on thursday to go there.

And after all that, I need to get picked up and dropped off at the bus station, cuz there's no local transit that goes to the venue apparently (though it's a 10 min drive according to google map)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
On another note I think I'm abandoning the Sheik IC's match up. I play ChuDat fairly often and it seems near impossible unless I play perfectly. Really the most annoying aspect of it is that I'm essentially reduced to running away and camping platforms the entire match which is dreadfully annoying/boring although I guess that's how most characters deal with IC's.
Yo, try Samus! This may just be me trying to puff up one of my mains but I actually enjoy Samus vs ICs. Sure, ICs may dominate the ground game, but Samus's platform missile spamming is pretty hard to beat, too. I also feel like it's kinda hard for the climbers to deal w/ multi-hitting attacks like Samus's fair.

Brits/Longbowmen all the way.
No way! The Teutons are broken. Personally though, I prefer the Huns or the Saracens, especially the Saracens in teams. :D

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
The japanese have the samurai b/c samurai r from japan. Also the Koreans are the best in age of empires 2 i heard they r banned from tourneys

Edit: this is no longer a sheik thread but instead a aoe 2 thread
:phone:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
??? I was always under the impression that the japanese ninja battled the Chinese samurai. Perhaps I am wrong?

Edit: No, this is a Sheik social thread, on which we happen to be talking about AoE II. :p
Well that is both extremely funny and very wrong. I will make fun of u in person for this later.

Beat!

Smash Master
Yeah, Japan. China didn't have **** back then (compared to Japan). They were spending most of their time trying to not get completely pwned by them.

Ninjas were mostly spies/infiltrators, so you could say that they "battled" samurais from other clans and stuff, but there was never an actual "war" between ninjas and samurais. That would've been very silly, because as I said, a lot of them were part of the same clan. I guess some of them were outlaws, but not enough to warrant a full-fledged war.

In a way, what you were asking is kind of like asking if sergeants used to battle against lieutenants. Like, you could say that the answer's yes, but that's because they're ranks used by both sides.. There has never been a specific war between sergeants and lieutenants.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
What time period r u talking about beat were u say china was just trying not to get whooped by japan? B/c unless u r talking about after japan was forced to open its boarders and then industrialized u r most likely wrong. For a long time the other asian countries were forced to give presents to china b/c of there size and power. Now i could be wrong b/c i grant my History Knowledge of that part of the world is not the greatest but i think i am right here.

(Sorry about random caps, my phone does that for some reason)

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
How do I beat Sheiks who are better than me? There must be some general formula. Oh, btw, thanks for the Fox advice, KK? It actually helped a lot.

Hey, who here likes to play Age of Empires II?
Dude I love AoE2

****s my non-melee jam

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Well i will admit my knowledge of those 2 countries in the 1500's is lacking i am pretty sure japan did not have the want or ability to fight china back then. There ability to fight china came in the very late 1800's or early 1900's after they went trhought there Industrial revolution. I sort of want to go into more detail about japan's plans for the east in the early 20th Century but b/c i am on a phone and stuff i will hold off.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I need to learn how to focus in bracket. Played extremely under my potential. and then played pretty decent in all my money matches. Too frustrating. Time to incorporate lean?

Vids of my MM's will go up soon. need critique's in those. Although most tips will be along the lines of "don't mess up," there are a few spots where I know I could have followed up a combo but couldn't figure the right move choice.

EDIT: and duck utterly destroyed me in pools. I need samus practice, it was brutal.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I need to learn how to focus in bracket. Played extremely under my potential. and then played pretty decent in all my money matches. Too frustrating. Time to incorporate lean?

Vids of my MM's will go up soon. need critique's in those. Although most tips will be along the lines of "don't mess up," there are a few spots where I know I could have followed up a combo but couldn't figure the right move choice.

EDIT: and duck utterly destroyed me in pools. I need samus practice, it was brutal.
Damn, and duck isn't even that good against sheik... at least last time I fought him. Admittedly back in like September so... a while ago.

Normal sheik vs samus stuff works a lot on him. Like you said you really just have to learn the match up.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
someone said run up shield is good at low level cuz whats samus gonna do?

i guess expanding on that concept vs better players might be useful

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
You should look at Scar's lean thing.

http://leanmelee.wordpress.com/
Yup - I really like the idea's that he has and believe that they would work well for me. Need to be able to think in bracket, not just in friendlies and MM's.

Damn, and duck isn't even that good against sheik... at least last time I fought him. Admittedly back in like September so... a while ago.

Normal sheik vs samus stuff works a lot on him. Like you said you really just have to learn the match up.
Yeah, he just punished me really hard for doing bad things. I believe I have the same exact problem as KK, and I respect bad characters more than I should because I only play against spacies. Falcon is a different story, because he is a fast faller and easy.

He still isn't a plup vs sheik, he is improving though.

It is just frustrating. Got destroyed in bracket, missed things I never usually have to worry about. Then have a close MM with moose game three, close MM with Kzhu, and beat Juggle who beat me in bracket.

Then go even with Shady in friendlies, take Kels down to last stock all night the night before and took a couple games off his fox and falco (out of 20ish ha) and only dropped one game to dope in our entire session yesterday.

I need to incorporate lean, and analyze why I made the decisions I did.

EDIT:
Me vs Juggle - need advice as to combo follow ups (it is pretty apparent when I miss a fair or edgeguard due to a mistake, namely when I double jump the wrong way), and anything else
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8j6SWkYcwY&context=C348a2b8ADOEgsToPDskIC6ydZ5uBum2at67qOALci

Me vs Moose - need advice as how to recover vs that Falco drop --> bair, safely get back from the edge, and whatever. I need to Nair OoS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wP...xt=C348a2b8ADOEgsToPDskIC6ydZ5uBum2at67qOALci

Me vs Kzhu - need the most critique in this one KK. After grab I don't combo nearly as hard as I can I don't think, and I know this is one of your best matchups. One of my least experienced ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9f...xt=C348a2b8ADOEgsToPDskIC6ydZ5uBum2at67qOALci

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I dunno what my best MUs are.

I just like Sheik dittos, spacies, and Peach. I'm good vs Puff but I don't really like fighting her. I abhor ICs, AXE's Pikachu, Plup's Samus, and Falcon.

Marth can suck my ****.

I'll watch in a few days.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I dunno what my best MUs are.

I just like Sheik dittos, spacies, and Peach. I'm good vs Puff but I don't really like fighting her. I abhor ICs, AXE's Pikachu, Plup's Samus, and Falcon.

Marth can suck my ****.

I'll watch in a few days.
No rush, next tournament isn't till the end of march. My best matchup is definitely Falcon, what you do is pretty autopilot. I like spacies, but I wouldn't say I'm good at the matchup. Samus is the bane of me. Puff is straightforward as well, but I don't like it. And I hate marth, despite sometimes being alright at it.

I made a lot of mistakes vs Moose that I don't normally make. Making it hard to critique. Just looking to point out things I consistently do wrong, like coming up with fair from the ledge etc.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm in a good mood right now so I'll give you a nice critique. I even watched both matches. Kind of just wrote as I watched through both matches, kind of jumped around... it's not clean by any means but it's thorough. I time-stamped a few things.

You have a lot of opportunities to go for up airs against Kzhu but you don't. It costs you a lot of combo damage, you get hit out of some follows, and he lives a lot longer on a few stocks because of it. Efficiency with your punishes really does make winning easier and it doesn't require you play smarter in any aspect of the hard stuff (neutral game, etc).

For how many grabs you got on him, I honestly think the 1st match this whole thing should have been ez pz.

You seem to be struggling really hard in situations like this. I think you need to keep a few things in mind about being in that position... one, you have more power attacking than you seem to think you do. You can honestly swing a bit more freely with your bair in that position than you currently are. SHFFL bair --> f-tilt covers a remarkably large amount of options. SH FF bair --> SH rising bair also covers quite a bit. You really can defend the edge a bit more. If you see them airdodge through a bair, you can just dash grab her general landing area and then just throw combo her. That platform above you also opens up some unique movement options if you want to play it that way, but those are a lil' more complex.

I keep noticing you jumping up with FJ aerials to pressure her when you've messed up and she's landed on the platform (she's usually blocking). FJ stuff is okay but you really should take advantage of Sheik being able to SH bair & fair under the platform pretty efficiently and still attack their shield. Unless you're planning on following up on the platform itself (in which case you'd still need to do the aerial differently) then you should be SHing these more.

Noticed some autopiloting and/or panic responses coming back from the ledge. Not good. Calm yourself. Don't sidestep against Peach.

You really like the platforms. And I don't blame you. But you keep getting caught for going up there. You really don't need to be as worried of Peach's priority as you are.

You need to do your tilts and stuff way earlier if you want to stuff Peach's fair.

Again, situations where she's kind of just floating seem to give you a lot of trouble. Like this one. He's really in a way more vulnerable position than you seem to realize. He's double jumped in this particular one, so he's really at risk of losing a lot. He's in his float. He doesn't have a huge variety in how he can go about doing anything. Fair. Bair. Heck, if you can make Nair stuff him then do it. Invincible down smash frame. Peach actually compromises some of her safety with this sort of thing because it means losing the exchange sends her off float-free... unless they're super spaced, these are the sorts of situations you should be salivating at. Trading isn't even bad in them; she takes so long to recover.

I think you need more variety in your fair (and aerials in general, but fair is probably her most versatile and you're only really using it one way for the most part even though situations that would be countered by its other forms keep popping up). Rising fair is actually really good. FJ rising fair, SH rising fair... they're less safe on whiff than the falling version but oh well. The speed & priority to win clashes (particularly vs relatively stationary opponents) makes it a really powerful tool. Similarly, I think you need to manipulate your aerial drifting a bit better. Some of these fairs or whatever if you held back just a bit more I swear you'd be safe from the shield grab or whatever (you might need to block if he nairs OOS but w/e). I think you also missed some l-cancels into his shield.

6:30 or so was really good.

Second game in general looks way better but you seem to struggle really hard with his floating. I'm telling you, you can challenge it a lot of the time. In terms of sheer priority clashing, bair is really, really effective against that high float crap he's doing. Unknown's Sheik is really good vs Peaches and he just rambos them with Fairs if the spacing is vaguely correct for it (it's fairly lenient; pardon the pun) and it leads to really goofy fair --> f-tilt chains. It requires really good spacing & timing on the Peach's behalf in that position to deal with Sheik's quick, monster hitboxes. You don't need to give her so much respect unless they're actually stupidly good. Seriously. Especially if they're doing slow moves.

Shielding at close range is not actually that bad with Sheik because her shield can usually absorb a down smash if it's not been pelted on for a good 10 seconds first.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Duck and I went from having an epic last game, last stock, last hit set at SCSYN3 to him beasting me in tournament for like a year and a half to finally me being able to cop out to sheik to make it out of pools

Top Bottom