• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Fair is always better.
Dair has it's uses, it is pretty hard to tech and if you grab the edge already ledgehop dair is much easier to hit with than fair or bair. Once you hit with it you can just float down for the bair/fair afterwards. I saw Mango use this a bit at RoM.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Idea you were put on that list because I see you give advice the most in this thread.

I would say Pound > Dair for edgeguarding Fire Fox, because it sends them outwards, letting you WoP them to death. Is this true? When would you use FH/SH -> FF'd Nair at the peak of the jump? I see some people using this to combo/edge guard, and I wanted to know if there were more specific details. Actually, I see people using Nair for combos in general.

Idea, you said that Pound and Dair can be matchup-dependant. Can you elaborate on that? Also, would you use F-tilt or D-tilt to edgeguard? I've seen both, and I was wondering which one would be better in which scenarios and why.

Pound for techchase. What other options are there for techchasing? When I techchase with Puff, I don't really know what to do. I find it hard to reach where they would be after the tech in the first place. I normally just try to Uair/grab.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Edit:

I have some Fox issues too. I know most Puffs have Fox problems, so this question will probably help fellow Puff mains too.

When Fox hits you with his Uair, I know you can SDI out of the second hit. Normally, you should be generally SDIing towards the opposite of the direction he's coming at you. For example, if you were on the left of the stage in the air, and he was on the right jumping towards you and hits you with a Uair, you would SDI right. Is this correct?

Also, to be more specific, what is the best method to SDI the hit? I know people have said to wiggle the analog stick back and forth from left to right, like Sheik's tight dash dance. People have also said that this makes the direction you are heading uncontrolled, and bad. So, if I were able to time the SDI consistently, can I literally just smash the analog stick during the hitlag of the first hit of Fox's Uair, or do I have to make that semi-rotation with it to work?

idea

Smash Master
if you grab the edge already ledgehop dair is much easier to hit with than fair or bair
hadn't thought of that. i might try that. i'm always hesitant to grab the edge because then i feel really limited.

generally for edgeguarding, pound is only good if they DI it poorly. most likely you'll just be positioning them higher up but not too far away to recover. you could probably get it to work on spacies or falcon but that seems situational to me...i guess the real question is, why are you behind the person you're trying to edgeguard?

by matchup dependent i mean...there are some characters on whom i'd almost never use those moves and some where i throw it out much more often. in those cases it's mostly stuff that seems to "work". since it's something that general, it could be me or my opponent's different playstyles rather than an overall wise strategy...but probably still worth a try.

pound sort of "works" on marths i play (not bad ones either =P) but probably wouldn't on fox. fox would probably have to be jumping at you and not using an aerial. you have to make a fast character like him run into your pound hitbox, cause trying to approach with it is way too slow. and if he, y'know, happens to be watching you closely, he is not likely to run into it.

hmm...on falco pound seems slightly better cause he doesn't move as horizontally...i don't play falcos much but i can see that work if they're attacking you from above.

again, though. mostly use fair and bair. they're just good, fast moves, and go so well with jigglypuff's ability to float around stupidly. i guess i see jiggs' fair kind of like fox's nair - it works because it's a plain move that stays out for a while, so you don't have to aim it while you move vaguely toward the other character.

for SDIing upairs - yes, that's what you do. DI one way, then SDI the other when fox hits you. and you do just smash it straight sideways, but i notice that sometimes i'll aim it upward or jump by accident and that'll magically work. i guess if they misspace it DIing up will sometimes work? i keep forgetting to look into that. also KK tells me it's harder for fox to get the upair if you DI behind him. i should ask a fox main about that one too.

haha, speaking of which, i think he still does the wiggling thing instead of what he wrote in his guide =P not sure which is better generally, but obviously the deliberate SDI is if you can get it consistently. and that's not impossible, just hard...when someone upairs vwins i expect him to SDI it and am surprised when he doesn't.

and i know i'm responding out of order, but i keep scrolling back and forth and i don't wanna reorganize multiple walls of text. so for edgeguarding...i dunno, my edgeguarding is kind of bad =P might wanna ask one of the other puff mains about that.

i seem to be okay at techchasing, though, and after trying to watch what i'm doing in those cases, i still don't know. it's mostly spacing and guessing, though. if i guess correctly that the other player will do getup attack, i'll often float above them with nair and land on them just as it ends. then since it's so weak at the end you can hit them with more stuff.

yeah, like you said...puff is too slow to actually tecchase in the way the top tiers can. there's more guessing involved. although i guess it's similar to what non-highly-technical top tier mains do. if i notice anything i'm doing when i techchase people i'll post it. it's nothing falcon-like, though...more like two or three hits and then an attempted edgeugard...

full hop FF fair at the edge sounds good for edgeguarding spacies. sounds like it would cover if they do illusion high or low, but also give you enough time to hit them out of/when they firefox. it's easier to trade with firefox rather than clean beat it once they've started moving, though.

i guess spacies are the ones you have to worry about most. they have the most options. marth, sheik and falcon all get punished easily when they land onstage with up-b, but spacies have less lag and stuff.

^ apparently you have to ask me more specific questions.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
...when someone upairs vwins i expect him to SDI it and am surprised when he doesn't.
He's who inspires me to be able to SDI without wiggling the analog stick. I saw that RaynEX vs Vwins match... Oh my.

I'm actually very terrible at edgeguarding Spacies. Are there any specific tips to help me on this? Sometimes they'll Phantasm, sometimes they'll Firefox. Do I jump out towards them with a Fair/Nair (I would assume Fair, but I've seen King use Nair a couple of times)? And in which case would I use each of them?

Next topic: Stage counter picks.

What are generally the best matchup specific counter pick stages for Puff?

If anyone would give me specific tips on how to counter pick, that would be great. I know stage picks should not only be to your own comfort, although it is probably the most important influence, it should also depend on your play style in comparison to the opponents'.

Personally, I like YS because of the abillity to space, Brinstar, Mute City. FoD annoys me, because I'm absolutely terrible there. I'm not completely sure why, but I'm always worse there. Maybe those moving platforms ruin my spacing...?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
i guess the real question is, why are you behind the person you're trying to edgeguard?

for SDIing upairs - yes, that's what you do. DI one way, then SDI the other when fox hits you. and you do just smash it straight sideways, but i notice that sometimes i'll aim it upward or jump by accident and that'll magically work. i guess if they misspace it DIing up will sometimes work? i keep forgetting to look into that. also KK tells me it's harder for fox to get the upair if you DI behind him. i should ask a fox main about that one too.

haha, speaking of which, i think he still does the wiggling thing instead of what he wrote in his guide =P not sure which is better generally, but obviously the deliberate SDI is if you can get it consistently. and that's not impossible, just hard...when someone upairs vwins i expect him to SDI it and am surprised when he doesn't.

i seem to be okay at techchasing, though, and after trying to watch what i'm doing in those cases, i still don't know. it's mostly spacing and guessing, though. if i guess correctly that the other player will do getup attack, i'll often float above them with nair and land on them just as it ends. then since it's so weak at the end you can hit them with more stuff.

full hop FF fair at the edge sounds good for edgeguarding spacies. sounds like it would cover if they do illusion high or low, but also give you enough time to hit them out of/when they firefox. it's easier to trade with firefox rather than clean beat it once they've started moving, though.
It happens once in a while. ^^ Now that I think of it I'm not exactly sure how though... o.o

-

I wasn't aware of that, thanks. I know some people do the dashdance/wiggle method, and that can be very bad, because sometimes you'll actually DI out of the weak hit, and into the strong hit. T_T

So yeah, what Idea said is a LOT better.

-

Keep an eye out for a tech chase rest, those are tooo good.

-

Some spacies like to Illusion at you... in that case, you can SHNair them when they're about to Illusion. Some like to always go for the edge. If you see them falling that low, go for the Dsmash at the edge, or float off Fair/Nair. They can ledgetech the dsmash though.

Edit: You posted behind me @_@ lol

I'm actually very terrible at edgeguarding Spacies. Are there any specific tips to help me on this? Sometimes they'll Phantasm, sometimes they'll Firefox. Do I jump out towards them with a Fair/Nair (I would assume Fair, but I've seen King use Nair a couple of times)? And in which case would I use each of them?
Personally I like to be aggressive. When you know the edgeguard is coming, float out towards them. If they're going to go for an illusion, Fair to tap them out of it. ****.
If they start charging Firefox/Bird, tap em with Fair. Watch out for Fox's tho, cause sometimes you'll get fire ***** by his charge.

Nair is really really good for dropping down kinda ontop of them and hitting them outta the charge or the actualy recovery.

Listen to the others tho, they're probably better at edgeguarding. ^_^

If anyone would give me specific tips on how to counter pick, that would be great. I know stage picks should not only be to your own comfort, although it is probably the most important influence, it should also depend on your play style in comparison to the opponents'.
I'd say go with the Puff defaults;
Mangoland: You live to 999%. gg.
Brinstar: Rest ****, lava ****, gg.
Mute: LOL @ their recovery. Walk off edges ****.
And then go with whatever you're comfortable. You die at like 2% on YS, but if you think you got it... go for it. ^_^ Just... not against Ganon or something.

Edit: Isn't DK64 good cause of the highhhhh *** ceiling?

dudutsai

Smash Lord

Personally, I like YS because of the abillity to space, Brinstar, Mute City. FoD annoys me, because I'm absolutely terrible there. I'm not completely sure why, but I'm always worse there. Maybe those moving platforms ruin my spacing...?

omfg NEVER Yoshi's WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF

It is the smallest map both horizontally and vertically, and I always strike/ban it. You have the best recovery in the game. There is no reason to counterpick that (the only exception I can think of is puff dittos and only if you are confident).
Even if you are partial to Yoshi's (I'm guessing because of the platforms, you should avoid it and go for either Battlefield or PS because the platforms there are just as good, and the stage has sooo much less ****.)

Mango's advice on stage counterpicking is very good. If you are bad at non-neutral stages (Brinstar, Mute City), like I am, it is definitely worth your time to learn them. For non-neutrals I would suggest Dreamland 64

Tamoo

Smash Master
I just seem to get so many more rests in on YS cos of its close proximity, its the only reason i put up with YS.

I personally ban corneria over YS, **** stage shouldnt be allowed lol

But yeah, ur safe bet is def dreamland

idea

Smash Master

edgeguarding is probably where i wing it the most =P in general i'll say be patient and observant. it's really a guessing game...there are lots of things they could do, but they're only human and won't be able to be completely unpredictable. jumping out, i find, is often bad. it reduces your options. it works great if you guess correctly what they're going to do, cause then you can kill them, but if you don't they're pretty much guaranteed to get back safely.

also staying on stage works pretty well. illusion and firefox both have pretty bad priority so even jiggs' tilts can do pretty well there.

oh, and. illusion is fast and firefox is slow (not that fast, but y'know, comparatively). keep yourself covered for situations where they will illusion, and they'll have to start using firefox, which is slower. and once they're using firefox, they in theory can't get back unless they sweetspot, which is hard. if they keep sweetspotting then maybe start grabbing the edge after their firefox has started.

but as for jumping out. kirbykaze was telling me that he noticed mango jumping up and floating below the edge while doing fair. makes sense...that would cover illusion possibilities but still give you time to deal with firefox. however, i keep forgetting to try this <_<

(by the way, since you're probably searching your name, going to york tomorrow?)

[stages down there \/ somewhere]

It happens once in a while. ^^ Now that I think of it I'm not exactly sure how though... o.o

Some spacies like to Illusion at you... in that case, you can SHNair them when they're about to Illusion. Some like to always go for the edge. If you see them falling that low, go for the Dsmash at the edge, or float off Fair/Nair. They can ledgetech the dsmash though.

I'd say go with the Puff defaults;
Mangoland: You live to 999%. gg.
Brinstar: Rest ****, lava ****, gg.
Mute: LOL @ their recovery. Walk off edges ****.
And then go with whatever you're comfortable. You die at like 2% on YS, but if you think you got it... go for it. ^_^ Just... not against Ganon or something.

Edit: Isn't DK64 good cause of the highhhhh *** ceiling?
- maybe you're jumping out too much? i notice that when i get into the habit of doing that spacies start getting back more easily.

- ftilt (when they illusion at you) works pretty well too.

- don't go for dsmash too often, it only has two frames of real hitbox. i looked it up a while ago...iirc 4 frames have ANY hitbox, but two of them are so small they don't count at all. fair is a good all-purpose edgeguard. even with that sh nair thing, fair would work about as well =P

omfg NEVER Yoshi's WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF

It is the smallest map both horizontally and vertically, and I always strike/ban it. You have the best recovery in the game. There is no reason to counterpick that (the only exception I can think of is puff dittos and only if you are confident).
Even if you are partial to Yoshi's (I'm guessing because of the platforms, you should avoid it and go for either Battlefield or PS because the platforms there are just as good, and the stage has sooo much less ****.)

Mango's advice on stage counterpicking is very good. If you are bad at non-neutral stages (Brinstar, Mute City), like I am, it is definitely worth your time to learn them. For non-neutrals I would suggest Dreamland 64
i like yoshi's =D the whole stage is either an edge or a platform. i can pressure them so well and they can't run away far enough to camp me no matter who they are. well, maybe sheik on the top platform. but sheik doesn't scare me. i always ban it against marths...platforms and his tipper are too good there...but i have counterpicked foxes there succesfully.

counterpicks are weird. you have to factor in things like how you feel that day, and what the other player might want or not want, and whether you will psyche yourself out by counterpicking a "smarter" choice when you don't really want to.

that said...when in doubt, dreamland =P even if it is going poorly, you'll have a lot of time to recollect yourself while you're stupidly floating back after surviving at 120%.

i'm kind of bad at jigglypuff stages too (brinstar and mute), probably cause i don't practice on them enough. but those are clearly good too. mute has that one part where there is no edge and brinstar has lava with unreasonable hitstun. it might be acid, actually, i can't remember. it definitely shouldn't be lava cause there's almost no lava around until you get to norfair. either way, it combos stuff for you but doesn't give the opponent the same advantage since you usually fly so far with it.

if you play really aggressively, consider small stages, where the opponent doesn't have anywhere to run. if you play more defensively, look at big stages, where YOU have places to run and you won't die as easily. when you're not sure go with what feels most comfortable at the moment, and if it doesn't work out, at least you'll have learned from it.

I just seem to get so many more rests in on YS cos of its close proximity, its the only reason i put up with YS.

I personally ban corneria over YS, **** stage shouldnt be allowed lol

But yeah, ur safe bet is def dreamland
i've been camped pretty intensely on corneria before X_X by non-spacies even. seems like a good general ban since most people are gonna go fox or marth on you (the time i'm thinking of involved a marth).

okay, ****it, super long again.

tl;dr
- edgeguarding: be patient and don't always jump out
- stages: brinstar, mute, dreamland, and whatever you like personally

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
idk i always jump out with a full hop when edgeguarding fox/falco

i hang below the edge if fox is far away and up-bs (if it's falco ill just hit him) and then try to time an f-air to hit him out of it.

sideb i just nair to fair or start the fair early to hit them

the only thing i have a problem with is when I b-throw them and they just airdodge back on =/

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I've seen this work, and it sounds pretty smart. When edgeguarding Spacies, and if you think they might Phantasm, dash dance near the edge. Jiggs' dash attack comes out almost instantly, and goes a little under the edge of the stage. Normally, reaction time is fast enough to knock them off and under the stage (for me at least). From there, you can simply drop off with a Fair and poke them past the point of no return.

I understand how to edgeguard when they're under or parallel with you. What I have difficulty with is if they're at an angle, above you and off of the stage. It seems like if you jump out, you limit them to flying on top of you or through you with an air dodge, but limit yourself more. Maybe I should just stand near the edge and wait for them to make the first move? Their recoveries have lag time when they land, so it should give me enough time to whack them back off with whatever move, or a grab.

I personally like YS, espeacially against Fox, because it eliminates camping. Camping is totally out of the picture here, since, like Idea said, its like you're either on a platform, or on the edge. Against Spacies, a Space Animal Slayer can't be survived with any DI (I think). If it can be survived, I haven't seen it happen before.

DL is a nice stage, but I personally dislike it vs Falcon/Fox. Too much camping and space to run away. I wouldn't say it gives them a bigger of an advantage than I, but it prolongs the game in general from what I understand.

More questions for you guys:

Are there any good set ups for the tap reset (neutral A when they're lying on the floor) to rest? I can time the rest consistently, but hardly ever get the chance to tap them in the first place. Maybe this can be done if I land a Uair behind them (normally after a FH Fair through a shield vs Marth), instead of the Utilt that they're expecting I can let them drop and go from there? The only other set up I can think of is a Uthrow onto a platform, Uair, and waveland onto the platform to tap them. Normally people try to tech the Uthrow itself, but miss because of the Uair. I don't know if this would work, because they might have gotten up too fast.

What's the worst stage for Jiggs in general?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Im my general experience, id say corneria is the worst. Characters can camp against u all day along the top and then they can drop down to the bottom to put you in a position where you have to approach them from above, which is not a position jiggs favours. Also the low ceiling doesnt help.

For jab resets, i just find the best way to do it is to hit them with a weak attack moments before they touch the ground. This forces missed techs which mean easy jab resets. I def dont do this enough so im no expert on this

idea

Smash Master
- dash dancing thing could work but aerials seem better because then you're not trapped in lag if you miss (if they go high or sweetspot basically) (or how low does it hit, exactly?)
---yeah, after checking frame data, this doesn't look like a very good idea. only if they don't sweetspot very often.

- if they're above you, yeah, probably better to wait. depends on the character...with marth or sheik, you can try bairs or fairs, but you should still wait till they're somewhat close so you can move around and be less obvious with it, when they're high up like that. both of them have fast fairs so they would probably end up hitting you first if they saw it coming.

with spacies...let them firefox and they'll be easy enough to hit. they might try to illusion so that it edgecancels off a platform so watch out for that. get out of the way so they can't hit you with either of those moves, since you can bair them from a safe distance anyway. (lol bair is almost always from a safe distance)

and who else do people play...falcon is recovering in any way so he's probably dead now...peach will likely get back but you can try throwing out aerials, especially upair, just for more damage...

yeah, i guess for the most part you would want to let them make the first move. now that i think of it, in those situations i would rarely jump out. they're recovering, so they have less options, so you have more.

- i think spacies can survive rest there only when they get sent the wrong way. hmm...maybe if you hit them at 0%. or maybe with some AR DI where you SDI on every frame =P

- the jab reset thing...usually when i get that it's cause i naired at them and they missed the tech. i can see why that would be hard to tech.

"The only other set up I can think of is a Uthrow onto a platform, Uair, and waveland onto the platform to tap them. Normally people try to tech the Uthrow itself, but miss because of the Uair."

yeah, they always miss that! so forget jab...just rest them when they miss the tech. it's really easy, they'll bounce slowly when they hit the ground and you'll be halfway through a platform so you can get right on top of them. i do this aaaaallll the time.

going up to jab reset might work too. but...why complicate things?
oh, and. worst stage...ah dunno.

Im my general experience, id say corneria is the worst.

For jab resets, i just find the best way to do it is to hit them with a weak attack moments before they touch the ground. This forces missed techs which mean easy jab resets. I def dont do this enough so im no expert on this
- corneria does seem pretty bad. jiggs doesn't really have any awful stages, though...mostly just low ceilings mess her up.

- yeah, same thing, weak attack, nair...it's hard to set up for but if you keep following them around they'll miss a tech eventually. no one's perfect.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I lack practice... I need to find more people to play.

I'll stop asking questions for now. I should apply them, get used to them, before I load myself with even more information. Thanks, guys. If there's any more information you guys would like to give for the questions I've already asked, keep it coming.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Idea's posts ****.

Um about surviving the Uthrow Rest... you can DI the throw so you won't get rested... and you can DI the rest and sometimes live, depending on the stage, percent, and where you hit them. I've had Falcos survive it at 0% on DL64 and such.

Also; isn't it the worst feeling in the world when you fail edgeguard Fox and his UpB kills you? T_T

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hey ben, good to see u here lol

basically, say ur on the left ledge, the button input is as follows:
down on control stick
then left on control stick whilst jumping at the same time will turn you around in the air
then do whatever from there, like HB and bair onto the stage or sumthing

edit: as far as i know, i think only jiggs and kirby can actually do this as theyre the only ones that can turn around in the air with their jumps, pls correct me if im wrong there, so not really something u can apply to ur doc ;)

idea

Smash Master
yeah, there's a subtle difference i used to screw up, between jumping one with turning around and while facing the same way. and yeah, you just press the direction as you jump rather than slightly after. it's a muscle memory thing, like wavedashing. i haven't thought about it in a long time =P

it's weird to think about, but i think most characters can't do it...although i know yoshi can. when you djc you can face the opposite way afterward...not sure if that's the same thing or not.

haha, i was gonna turn on melee to check, and i think my power bar broke. it won't turn on even if i unplug it and plug it back in.

Tamoo

Smash Master
haha, i actually went on to check cos its just one of those things that you do but dont quite realise the button inputs as you're doing them, and yeah, it must just be jiggs, kirby and yoshi then

dudutsai

Smash Lord
When you jump, if you are DI'ing one direction with puff, you will turn to face that direction. Afterwards, any DI you input won't change the direction you are facing.
Very useful to know if you are recovering from below.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I've also seen some Puffs turn around in their jumps while doing the Uthrow -> Rest. Does this make it any better? From what I've seen, it seems like it lets you reach higher.

idea

Smash Master
i do that by accident sometimes. other times i'm sort of trying to aim it to make sure they go the right way. as far as i know the hitbox is that circle between her eyes so it shouldn't make any difference.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
You can usually know ahead of time which direction your rest will send them. Knowing this direction, you can mindgame them and rest them the other way, causing them to DI themselves to death.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
well actually...

changing your direction during an uthrow rest makes it go in a different direction.

Mindgames can be applied...

When I edgeguard spacies I think before I act -

Usually i stand right on the edge - if they phantasm right to you:

a. Shffl Nair
b. side tilt
C. DOWN TILT - ***** so good

if they go way down like on FD so you can't hit them and they are Firefoxing:

a. grab the edge :D
b. hit them with a falling baby fair :D
c. REVERSE POUND :DDDD (in other words as they are coming up, go off and pound diagonally back to the ledge - a good fox/falco will tech this and bounce off, in that case you apply the WOP)

If they Phantasm RIGHT back on to the stage,

a. Try doing a fair into it.
b. Try grabbing it (timing)
c. Try smashing/headbutting it (more timing)
D. PREDICT WHERE THEIR PHANTASM WILL LAND, CROUCH ON THAT VERY SPOT, AND REST RIGHT WHEN THEY LAND ON YOU. (im pretty sure some of my vids agaisnt shiz or colbol have that)

If they just try to Firefox right at you:

a. Fair. (They will most likely get ***** by gravity, go down with them and do the JPUFF DRAGDOWN)
b. Bair. (Hungrybox likes to bair people firefoxing right in front of them. They will go backwards, and you follow it up with another, then another, then another..)
c. Nair. (its like a softer fair.)

If they go really really high and freefall/fastfall towards you (fox can get out of his fast fall really quick)

a. try to land a bair (kinda hard)
b. go for an uair (and then another, and another, and another...)
c. depending where they are you might be able to fsmash them
d. if they are falling near the edge just ****ING HEADBUTT THEM

TIP: Headbutt is extrememly useful. It can lead to another headbutt, like an "on-stage" wall of pain, and you can also lead it into JAB RESETS.

There's some new vids of me from Florida Gaming if anyone wants to see them.

soap

Smash Hero
well actually...

changing your direction during an uthrow rest makes it go in a different direction.

Mindgames can be applied...

When I edgeguard spacies I think before I act -

Usually i stand right on the edge - if they phantasm right to you:

a. Shffl Nair
b. side tilt
C. DOWN TILT - ***** so good

if they go way down like on FD so you can't hit them and they are Firefoxing:

a. grab the edge :D
b. hit them with a falling baby fair :D
c. REVERSE POUND :DDDD (in other words as they are coming up, go off and pound diagonally back to the ledge - a good fox/falco will tech this and bounce off, in that case you apply the WOP)

If they Phantasm RIGHT back on to the stage,

a. Try doing a fair into it.
b. Try grabbing it (timing)
c. Try smashing/headbutting it (more timing)
D. PREDICT WHERE THEIR PHANTASM WILL LAND, CROUCH ON THAT VERY SPOT, AND REST RIGHT WHEN THEY LAND ON YOU. (im pretty sure some of my vids agaisnt shiz or colbol have that)

If they just try to Firefox right at you:

a. Fair. (They will most likely get ***** by gravity, go down with them and do the JPUFF DRAGDOWN)
b. Bair. (Hungrybox likes to bair people firefoxing right in front of them. They will go backwards, and you follow it up with another, then another, then another..)
c. Nair. (its like a softer fair.)

If they go really really high and freefall/fastfall towards you (fox can get out of his fast fall really quick)

a. try to land a bair (kinda hard)
b. go for an uair (and then another, and another, and another...)
c. depending where they are you might be able to fsmash them
d. if they are falling near the edge just ****ING HEADBUTT THEM

TIP: Headbutt is extrememly useful. It can lead to another headbutt, like an "on-stage" wall of pain, and you can also lead it into JAB RESETS.

There's some new vids of me from Florida Gaming if anyone wants to see them.
u coulda said to just watch them and hit them.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Dash attack :D.

I love the dash attack as an edgeguard vs Spacies. It doesn't require too much timing. Its really more of a reaction time thing. If you can react fast enough to press A while you dash dance, you're fine.

I've never thought of the Pound -> WoP if they walljump tech'd it. I would just try to get back on stage to continue edgeguarding.

Again, in which cases would you Ftilt over Dtilt to edgeguard Spacies?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I personally don't use either, but I'm guessing interchangably, orrrr Dtilt when they're going for sweetspot and Ftilt when they're going right at you with Illusion.

idea

Smash Master
couldn't they DI this up and toward the stage and get back/not be dead yet? or would the angle still be okay to bair them or something afterward? or does it become a bad idea at certain percentages...

Again, in which cases would you Ftilt over Dtilt to edgeguard Spacies?
i always use ftilt cause i can never hit with dtilt =P but dtilt would hit them lower so that's probably better.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
If they're coming from under the stages, I'd personally prefer to DSmash them. I like the angle in which they fly :D.

I'll start using Ftilt instead of Dtilt then.

Edit:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Hungrybox is crazy good.

HBox (Puff) vs Shiz (Falco) 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zkRCEQClI&fmt=18

Hbox (Puff) vs Shiz (Fox) 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTmX-kiJ-M&fmt=18

Hbox (Puff vs Shiz (Fox) 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFedXlUcqU&fmt=18

Your game against Spacies is so different from that of the "standard" Puff's.

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
i have a question. am i the only jiggs main that doesnt like to rest people. like i do it to win but get no satisfaction out of it whatsoever. idk im wierd

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Mango, no split pots at Genesis please. Just take it all.

I like dtilt edgeguards, but run off nair to fair if they firefox instead of phantasm is pretty good too.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I had a lot of trouble edgeguarding a Fox lately, I think from playing against Falco too much. I would usually chase Falcos, jumping out and following with light fairs for the gimp... but light fair gets ***** by the fire from charging Fox's Up-B... so would a weak Nair work better, or do I just HAVE to go for the strong fair/nair or a bair? (As far as hitting through the flames of a charging Foxfire)

idea

Smash Master
eh...fair is better for edgeguarding fox. not much need to use anything else, unless they happen to be in a really good position for a bair, in which case you'll probably try to do one naturally.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
i have a question. am i the only jiggs main that doesnt like to rest people. like i do it to win but get no satisfaction out of it whatsoever. idk im wierd
It's not about satisfaction, it's about winning. Rest is Jigg's best move (arguably), and if you don't use it because you don't want to that's just dumb. If you can't use it because you have trouble landing it, you should work on that.

I had a lot of trouble edgeguarding a Fox lately, I think from playing against Falco too much. I would usually chase Falcos, jumping out and following with light fairs for the gimp... but light fair gets ***** by the fire from charging Fox's Up-B... so would a weak Nair work better, or do I just HAVE to go for the strong fair/nair or a bair? (As far as hitting through the flames of a charging Foxfire)
You can reach through Fox's up B without using a strong fair or nair. You just have to space it right. Start farther away (horizontally) and DI in when you fair is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom