• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

rhan

Smash Hero
So after finally completing all the single player challenges..

Which one(s) did you guys find the hardest? Cuz it took me about 2 days to do opening gambit gold.

S/N: Why did I get demoted to Silver when I won two opponent slightly favored games and lost 1 "even" match? -_____________-

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Perhaps because people started doing better than you?

CARRIERS.

Clearly the Right Call.
CLEARLY.

I will get better! I must improve my macro! Thanks to all that YABOT/custom game training my opening game up to like 11 minutes is pretty strong. A week or two ago I use to be flimsy at the 6 minute mark. So that's awesome.

Next goal is to focus on not slowing down on 2 bases, and also learning how to apply pressure to deny people their 3rd expansions.

Octave

Smash Ace
Is anyone else having trouble with the VODs on gomtv? I'm trying to watch the Ro4 matches from yesterday at GSL and it just keeps playing Papa John's ads.:glare:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Just played a few matches against Solid, and I realized something... I suck, badly. I'm inefficient and my build orders are positively clueless. Help?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm willing to play/teach Gold and lower level players. My main emphasis is on macro, as it is probably the most important part of the game and underappreciated by many players. If you want some hands-on help let me know.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm willing to play/teach Gold and lower level players. My main emphasis is on macro, as it is probably the most important part of the game and underappreciated by many players. If you want some hands-on help let me know.
That would be much appreciated ankoku.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
We should play some. I'm low plat now though maybe you won't like me :mad:

For Adumbrodeus, I'd be down to play, I remember playing Solid when he was silver I think and I'm curious to see how well he improved as well.

Practicing certain parts of the mental checklist separately before putting them together helps a lot.

So keep goals.

1. I will always make workers. Once you seem to do this well at least till 60-70 workers move on to the next step.

2. I will keep my money low. You will notice as you continually make workers your economy will start to outgain your production, which means you need to start adding additional buildings and units and upgrades

3. I will not be supply blocked. My favorite part of the checklist personally. When everything is happening at once it's easily the one I most have trouble with (zerg larvae mechanic).

4. I will look at minimap constantly.

5. Combine to become Captain Macro!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't know what I'd have to teach to Plat players. Other than reminding a few people that no amount of micro will stop their Marines from getting slaughtered by twice as many Banelings.

M@v

Subarashii!
Well, I got the bc tactic to work again. Delta Quad is awesome for this strat.

-Easy to banshee harass
-Easy to defend main and 2 naturals at once.

Basically you can crank bcs without ever having to move far beyond your natural with any ground forces. Take the gold as your 4th. You can hold with mm+Banshee, but you need plenty of bunkers, and you need to pull scvs from your natural to auto repair. Should have 3 Ocs so mules can help stem the economic damage. On other maps, The same defensive strat applies, although you will probably need to be more aggressive with the harass because you will be more vulnerable( or at least one of your bases will be).

Omni

BRoomer
that sounds dangerous, Mav.

if your defense cracks or your economy gets damaged what are u going to do. like is the goal to make it to your 4th every game?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's hard to support Battlecruisers on fewer than three bases.

What's wrong with aiming for the late game?

Omni

BRoomer
well i don't see how banshee harassing can do enough damage to help reach 4 bases. it only requires minimal defenses to defend against banshee harass and if that happens early game because they scout it what's the next step?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The next step is either forcing Protoss to turtle in his base because there's a constant threat of Banshee harass (or forcing Protoss to get Stargate tech for Phoenixes, which are altogether useless against Battlecruisers), or using the Banshees as defensive support because they're actually pretty decent against Stalkers. Successfully sending in Banshees to decimate a worker line during a battle at the front is also pretty much gg right there if you manage to hold.

M@v

Subarashii!
I got a couple. Ill post them up when I get back home. One's on delta quad and one's on shakuras.

I do the whole "send banshees into his mineral line during an attack" thing during the shakuras game.

General outline of the game plan is this:

Early game:
FE with MM

Mid Game: MM+Cloaked banshees.(Obviously adapt if he's doing a wtf build.)

Late game: BC+SCV+whatever support unit helps fight his compositon(I.E Ravens, or marauders if stalker heavy, ghosts if HT.)

On TL some people were saying they go for MM+Bc support. More mobile but will lose to colossi balls in straight up fights still. You need to micro correctly and get the colossi out of the picture before the fight(Yamato, vikings, or banshees). I've also seen people say they go for mainly Banshees with some Bcs mixed in. Bcs tank damage/yamato observers, and banshees do the DPS. People have reported success with all 3, so It comes down to personal preference I think.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ggs today sveet
haha ggs dude. Game 2 totally threw me off. I did a gas before rax build and let you scout the starport go up, but instead of building a robo you went straight to DTs... LOL

I'll try to practice up my terran to give u a bit more trouble next time ;)

Matt07

Smash Master
Finished watching Idra vs TLO via Diggity's cast (just 1 game of the set), match was super good.

And also, just found out a while ago Blizzard added some Achievements to their Custom Games (Chefs of Aiur, Starjeweled, and Left 2 Die) in case anyone wasn't aware, or doesn't really play them...I currently have all of the Chef for Aiur ones, now hunting for the other two games xD.

Octave

Smash Ace
So far I haven't seen much Zerg in the VODs I've been watching (which is really only the most recent GSL). Can someone link me to some decent Zerg matches so I can get an idea for builds and how they work? Though from the name Zerg I have a feeling I might already know how they play.

Keep in mind I don't even own this game and have hardly played it :/

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just played a few matches against Solid, and I realized something... I suck, badly. I'm inefficient and my build orders are positively clueless. Help?
Do you go on Teamliquid at all? They've got pretty much the most up to date build orders for each race and if you don't go on I suggest trying it out :)

We should play some. I'm low plat now though maybe you won't like me :mad:

For Adumbrodeus, I'd be down to play, I remember playing Solid when he was silver I think and I'm curious to see how well he improved as well.
I haven't seen you on in a while, if you see me on hit me up :)

Omni

BRoomer
man i am so awful TvZ. i played a few games with a zerg player lastnight where i easily contained him early game with 5 marines, 2scv's with a 2 bunker push. delayed his 2nd hatchery for a pretty long time. and tried to follow up with expanded on my own. but after that my macro just went to balls.

and then i cant make a big enough army to follow up or i can't get a strong enough econ lead to keep the lead. x.x

im so slow

EDIT: i think i need to stick to more simple builds at the moment. does anyone know a simple yet effective build i can use against Zerg as Terran?

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Why? You just said yourself your macro went to balls. Whats the point in learning new builds if you cant macro them properly.

Just work on your macro. Know how many buildings you can support on 1, 2, and 3 bases

Edit: Im assuming here you already know how to 2rax...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
man i am so awful TvZ. i played a few games with a zerg player lastnight where i easily contained him early game with 5 marines, 2scv's with a 2 bunker push. delayed his 2nd hatchery for a pretty long time. and tried to follow up with expanded on my own. but after that my macro just went to balls.

and then i cant make a big enough army to follow up or i can't get a strong enough econ lead to keep the lead. x.x

im so slow

EDIT: i think i need to stick to more simple builds at the moment. does anyone know a simple yet effective build i can use against Zerg as Terran?
My 2 sense.

If you get the bunker contain. You are already ahead economically because you are terran. Terran 1 base is > Zerg one base. To break out of bunker contains zergs usually go roaches, banes or spine crawlers. If you scout their tech you can counter accordingly. Mauraders or tanks w marine support for roaches, hellions for banes, and tanks for spines. The other option you have is to get fast banshee after a bunker contain. Chances are that will delay their lair tech so you will only have to worry about one or two queens.

There is also the chance that they might try and counter with a nydus worm into your base so keep you corners scouted.

Omni

BRoomer
well by build maybe i just mean a more specific focus and goal against zerg? like... i need a beginning/middle/end of mind train of thought so im not just... building units for the sake of it.

im guessing Marine/Tank/Medivac is the most common composition?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

S/N: Why did I get demoted to Silver when I won two opponent slightly favored games and lost 1 "even" match? -_____________-
How have you been doing lately besides those three matches? Did it say slightly favored/even at the beginning of the match? Because you should never listen to that, it's unreliable.

Omni

BRoomer
I'm going to stop playing on 1v1 Obv Xel Naga so I can upload replays for you guys to critique. And for me to review.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Anybody know of any high-level replays I might be able to download of a 1-rax FE on Tal'Darim Altar? That map is so huge, and I'm having a hard time on it. The FE is easy, but I'm just not sure how to transition without falling behind on my macro.

Last night I played against a guy who was Random, and he actually tried to 6-pool/drone rush cross positions on Tal'Darim Altar.:chuckle:

Of course, that's not much more pathetic than my next match against a zerg on the same map, where I accidentally canceled my barracks when it was at 95% :embarrass:

Top Bottom