• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I think you should be mad at those higher leveled players because they must think your a bronze level noob

only reason to practice against non human opponents is if your extremely good and refining a build, or extremely bad (and learning what the units do/commands/etc)

Ladder
kay

I am always a proponent of learning by doing. I'd say ladder and analyze your replays to see what you could have done better. That analysis step imo is the key to getting better. Start paying attention to timings (stuff like 4 gate around 6 minutes or something relative to your build like baneling bust timing occuring after your 3rd rax or something similar).
ill keep that in mind

Omni your dedication thus far has been inspiring. Start laddering and working hard, keep a positive attitude like you have been, and you will be masters in no time.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
.....Micro the stuff as soon as you see the storms? Also that means less feedback so save those yamatos for those void rays. It 1 shots them.
so back out? then the cruisers stay in the front cuz theyre slow as hell and get ***** by stalker/vr
im not trying to flame your build but i doubt it work, gettting alot of battlecruisers takes so long that the protoss can easily get a ****load of templar to both storm and feedback everything + get alot of stalker and maybe get a few vr? i dont even think they need that much vr cuz the toss has to tech too much diffrent things, they could instead go just mass stalker, unless the terran has alot of marauders but i doubt they can afford alot of marauders and alot of bc's + marauders would get storm ***** as i mentioned earlier

it would probably work tho if you manage to harras alot of workers but thats not really something you can rely on IMO, and it may work if you get ghost and manage to EMP the templar, or if you can somehow hide that your getting alot of bc's for the entire game it would work aswell

id like to see a replay if you got it =D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
In case you missed it, BCs got their speed buffed. In fact, they move exactly as fast as High Templar, so good luck on that "back out" thing. Also, microing out of storms doesn't necessarily mean moving backward... if you've overcompensated on Stalker/HT, then Zealots are no longer a worry.

Zone

Smash Champion
It's definitely a strong position to be in. So... What do you do Mav if he is equally harassing your workers with zealot drops/dt's, pheonix. Your strategy seems to be always keep your opponent slightly behind which is a nice goal to have, but there is weakness in any build/strat. So I'm sure you have a plan to tech swap away from BC if their unit comp is better for your build. you just make BC sound op when I don't see it. Just like colossus is not op IMO vs terran anyways.

You gotta have weaknesses somewhere :) your build is just sorts not common so I imagine people dunno what to do

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure the biggest weakness to any late game tier 3 build is being unable to have an economy to support it if you have fewer than three bases. I mean, Battlecruisers are more expensive than a Command Center. That's pretty significant.

M@v

Subarashii!
You should always be ready to do something if he does a WTF style build, such as a heavy harass as protoss, since its not common. if he's phoenixing, get some turrets. If its just drops, get a couple vikings to intercept warp prisms. They can be used for colossi hunting when there's no harassment. MM is mobile enough to respond to drops in base. Of course it doesn't beat warping units right next to a harassment, but its still an effective defense.

One TvP I was under really heavy pressure and it was hard for me to maintain a 4th. So although I had bcs going for a while, and i got them to max upgrades, I could never quite get to critical mass to finish him due to gas shortages. So I went with heavy bio + BC support to yamato his colossi. I wound up winning this way. Being able to adapt and flex your strategy is a huge part of the game.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
In case you missed it, BCs got their speed buffed. In fact, they move exactly as fast as High Templar, so good luck on that "back out" thing. Also, microing out of storms doesn't necessarily mean moving backward... if you've overcompensated on Stalker/HT, then Zealots are no longer a worry.
your saying that like ht are fast lol, and sure you can run towards the stalker ball out of the storm to give the stalkers some free shots and get even stormed more without anywhere to run then.

i dont get anyway wat makes you guys think a protoss lets a terran get like 10 bcs + lots of marauders cuz you need like 4/5 base for that, protoss could easily win the game before that i think because bcs are soooooo fking expensive, but even if it would come this far, the protoss would have equal ammount of bases and once he sees the cruisers he could have like 20 hts(and they warp in even more whenever they want to instant feedback) and fully upgraded stalkers.

I really dont think the strategy could work unless you really catch the protoss off guard and can somehow held off gateway/collosi attacks by the toss

but disscusions like this arn't really helpful i think because i probably wont convince you guys anyway and you probably wont convince me and it depends on so many things that happen in the game so w/e

again i would like to see a pro match with a terran using that build vs p =)

Zone

Smash Champion
You should always be ready to do something if he does a WTF style build, such as a heavy harass as protoss, since its not common. if he's phoenixing, get some turrets. If its just drops, get a couple vikings to intercept warp prisms. They can be used for colossi hunting when there's no harassment. MM is mobile enough to respond to drops in base. Of course it doesn't beat warping units right next to a harassment, but its still an effective defense.

One TvP I was under really heavy pressure and it was hard for me to maintain a 4th. So although I had bcs going for a while, and i got them to max upgrades, I could never quite get to critical mass to finish him due to gas shortages. So I went with heavy bio + BC support to yamato his colossi. I wound up winning this way. Being able to adapt and flex your strategy is a huge part of the game.
I know mixing it up is a huge part of the game. I'm just saying some of the stuff you rely on is your opponent making mistakes. Such as "banshee to hurt mineral line." If you're scouting out warp prism's/dt's/pheonix's and stopping them before they harrass you. What's stopping protoss from stopping all of your harrassment? and doing a strong timing push on you Just as you get your 3rd or 4th. Or just before you get your BC's out.

There are counters for everything. Lets say he went for pheonix harrass, and you "manage" to scout it. you put up defenses. He kills a few mules backs off before losing any pheonix so you put up a few more. Putting money into turrets that will never enter battle is money you lose from your main army. Pheonix on the other hand will definitely help during a battle. most likely going for colossi nothing to stop him from making a warp prism, then using pheonix to kill ur "intercepting units" and ifyou have ground forces to intercept them, they can't be everywhere. Thus you would end up spreading ur forces too thin if you chose to do that. And if he could manage to hit you in that way you'd be so out of position you'd definitely take losses.

pheonix will also help against your "banshee" build.

I mean don't get me wrong. I think it's a good strategy, when all the right pieces fall together. It just seems a little risky to me. I definitely can't see how you don't have a huge window for him to strong mid game push just before BC's are out.(that's why i asked if you have a plan to switch away from BC when you see something I was curious)

do you only do this build if you are successfull in hurting some workers?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Banshees harassing mineral lines has nothing to do with opponents making mistakes. One banshee almost guarantees at least 3-4 probe kills unless your opponent has an obs/stalkers in each mineral line.

Omni

BRoomer
So I played like a dozen ladder games and I won 10x in a row. Lol, had to defend against lots of cheeses.

So now I'm Ranked 1 Bronze, but it won't move me up! :[

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So I played like a dozen ladder games and I won 10x in a row. Lol, had to defend against lots of cheeses.

So now I'm Ranked 1 Bronze, but it won't move me up! :[
It will move you up once you start losing some.

Omni

BRoomer

Zone

Smash Champion
Yeah I was demoted to platinum and played I dunno like 13 matches and lost only 2 (accidentally forgot to change off random)

I do random in teams.

I believe I was demoted cuz of how few games I played after hitting diamond originally. Like 15 or so.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Keep in mind that the divisions are maintained in terms of levels of active players. Bronze is the bottom 20%, then Silver the next 20%, then Gold the next 20%, then Platinum the next 20%, then Diamond the next 18%, and Master the top 2%. If a bunch of people get a higher MMR than you, the threshold for a division might change...

M@v

Subarashii!
It would be weird to be a grandmaster who keeps getting bumped in and out of it because he's on the borderline

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, unless you just stop playing for a while, once you get a slot in Grandmaster you're guaranteed it for the remainder of the season.

Eligibility
Eligibility is determined over the opening two weeks of a ladder season. Players who have the 200 highest MMR moving averages and who have bonus pools that are less than 90 (1 week's worth) will have spots reserved for them in Grandmaster League. However, you need to win a game after the league goes live in order to be promoted. An important clarification here (noxn asked this question yesterday and I got an answer today): if you have a slot reserved but someone else gets a higher MMR moving average than you before you play your promotion game, your slot will be taken!

Activity Rule
Grandmaster players remain in Grandmaster League until the end of the season. If your bonus pool accumulates to 180 (2 weeks' worth), you are automatically removed from Grandmaster League and a new player will take your spot. This is the only way to get removed from this league.

j00t

Smash Champion
Huh, I don't think I've seen this thread before, but then again I don't visit the light house often. :p

joot

hit me up *****es

Omni

BRoomer
im still really bad vs. zerg. i was doing some thinking today at work and i think i have an idea for a build that i wanna pursue. im sure there's a name for it but basically i want to:

do a double Rax early pressure
into blue flame hellion
into cloaked banshee harass

so basically i wanna put on 3 forms of harassment and then make my final push a last push whether it be a timing push or a doom push. i guess my composition would be based on what my opponent is making

but yea is there a name for this? is it flawed? when should i expand? any advice?

ive been trying to do the 2 Rax FE against Zerg and i just get nailed and grilled. not sure why but i feel so alien to that build when im using it

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Probably because you don't seem very concerned with map control, pressure, or intelligence in the first place other than knowing it's supposed to be good.

You really need to ask yourself
what am I going for with my pressure?
why am I harassing at this point?
how do I plan to actually kill?

If you can't answer those questions then you're getting ahead of yourself and picking strategies before thinking about how to actually adapt them to your play.

_Dice

Smash Ace
im still really bad vs. zerg. i was doing some thinking today at work and i think i have an idea for a build that i wanna pursue. im sure there's a name for it but basically i want to:

do a double Rax early pressure
into blue flame hellion
into cloaked banshee harass

so basically i wanna put on 3 forms of harassment and then make my final push a last push whether it be a timing push or a doom push. i guess my composition would be based on what my opponent is making

but yea is there a name for this? is it flawed? when should i expand? any advice?

ive been trying to do the 2 Rax FE against Zerg and i just get nailed and grilled. not sure why but i feel so alien to that build when im using it
2 rax FE only works vs good players. because it relies on the zerg making the correct response given the situation (and also on you preventing them from scouting)

having a "final push" in your regular build is always a bad idea.

you should be just putting some constant harrass while expanding and increasing your siege tank and thor numbers and set up positions to remove any hope of the zerg getting past 2 or 3 bases (depending on map) and then build many factories in order to reproduce quite quickly so the zerg is gaining only minor ground each engagement until eventually they have nothing left.

Terran should be a stone wall with a guy throwing rocks from above.
You never want to take your rocks from your wall
You never want to stop throwing rocks
you never want the stone to crack.
your opponent should be like an lake throwing waves at you again and again each time weaker than before until only a puddle is left. and then you mop up the puddle.

your opponent should never grow into an ocean(zerg) and also should never be allowed to pick up speed into a tidal wave (protoss).

Omni

BRoomer
Probably because you don't seem very concerned with map control, pressure, or intelligence in the first place other than knowing it's supposed to be good.

You really need to ask yourself
what am I going for with my pressure?
why am I harassing at this point?
how do I plan to actually kill?

If you can't answer those questions then you're getting ahead of yourself and picking strategies before thinking about how to actually adapt them to your play.
I am concerned. I do ask those questions and I do have answers.

- 5 marine/SCV push is to harass and delay his expansion. Best case force him to spend some minerals on Lings rather than Drones. It also gives me time to FE. I don't plan to kill him here.

- Blue Flame Hellion is another harass in a response to his probably early Ling production. This pressure is to put a hurt on his economy on his expansion. I am harassing him at this point because he doesn't have muta's yet and most likely will go Banelings/Zerglings to compensate for building too many early Zerglings. I can kill here if I damage his economy enough, but it may be ineffective if he has a Roach Warren out.

- Cloaked Banshee is the last harass if the first two didn't kill him. This pressure is to capitalize on possible roach production in response to my blue flame hellions. If I hurt his economy then Muta's shouldn't be an issue, but if not then cloaked banshees can apply hurt. Aim for his gas first.

I can answer the questions, Ankoku. You're saying I'm picking up strategies before adapting to my play but the main issue is that I don't have a base strategy yet for Zerg which is why I'm trying to create an overall game plan instead of just macro'ing until I think it's okay to attack.

I don't have an early/mid/late game plan strategy vs. Zerg. So I'm trying to get one established that allows me to harass them since my main issue against Zerg is that I just allow them to expand freely 'cuz I'm so focused on my own macro. I don't harass nearly enough.

you should be just putting some constant harrass while expanding and increasing your siege tank and thor numbers and set up positions to remove any hope of the zerg getting past 2 or 3 bases (depending on map) and then build many factories in order to reproduce quite quickly so the zerg is gaining only minor ground each engagement until eventually they have nothing left.
I agree. So my gameplan is to really deny Zerg their 2nd expansion (3rd base). I think of Zerg like a weed; if I leave them alone they grow and fester and it's much harder to uproot. Question: How many factories can I run off 2 bases? 3 bases?

Edit:

@Ankoku: I went back to the 2 Rax FE and I was wondering when would be the most optimum timing to build my Factory? CC starts @ 23 and I build Double Gas at around 28. Do I save my gas for Tech Lab @ Rax first? Or do I go straight in Factory and start pumping out Siege Tanks? I'm trying to figure out what buildings and productions and upgrades should take priority over others, I guess.

I'm also thinking that if I do the 2 Rax FE expand that I shouldn't go for Blue Flame because it won't be an early timing push, so I should instead just go for Tanks to compliment my marine army.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hating TvT more and more as I play them. My win ratio is like 20:80 in those.. Yet the other two races are easier to play against but TvT is just one long *** macro game that I just don't have the patience for..

Top Bottom