• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
except zerg can out macro you if you dont force them to build units. I think teching is the best option, tbh

j00t

Smash Champion
except zerg can out macro you if you dont force them to build units. I think teching is the best option, tbh
Yeah, same. I dunno, I feel if the zerg pulls spanishiwa off successfully and is unopposed then you've just lost. You have to make a really really strong mid-game push against zerg to have any chance.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
but being a good player wouldnt one sac an overlord to see all this PLUS wouldnt the zerg have map control by then?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Say terran expos once and gets 4 thors, 4 blue flame hellions and 16 marines and then pushes. The zerg would need tech of his own or a large amount of units (aka not drones) in order to stop this attack. I just made up this push, but the concept is basically what you should be using. Use a higher tech ARMY (not a harass like just blue flame hellions, banshee, ect) to punish a defensive low tech high econ zerg.

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah that sounds like the appropriate response. Throw a banshee in there as well for fun. lol

I dunno if zerg would have neural parasite by that time, prolly not.

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah.

Only thing that would beat that is like a million roaches. Atleast what Zerg would have by that time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just micro those Hellions to stay along the border of the fight and you should be good vs lings.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Unless you simply made an infinite number of lings, I don't think suiciding them to chase down Hellions when there's an army of Thors and Marines in the way is the best plan. Tons of Roaches is still probably the best solution given the low tech Zerg is theoretically stuck on at the moment, since they don't really care about Hellions and are pretty decent against Marines.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's too late for me I work 4am-5pm. And sleep at 8:30 cst usually. We probably gotta wait til the weekend.

:phone:

Edit: we're doomed I'm going to a tournament this weekend.
4am to 5pm ?! Wow, you work 13 hour shifts? Do you work in a hospital or something? That's nuts.

There must be a time we both have on the weekend. Are you going to be at the tourney all day Sunday? What about Sunday evening? Maybe late Friday night?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
can we talk about early scouting for a bit?

generally when i scout i look for a few things (as Terran):

vs. Terran:
- No gas? Probably early expand.
- Wall-off? Probably Cloaked Banshees. Possible Hellions.
- Double gas? Probably 1-base push.

vs. Zerg
- No gas + Expansion? Econ Spanishwa build.
- 1 gas? Expansion? Econ build with some kind of tech. Probably for Zergling speed. Possible Roach.
- No expansion? 1 gas? Oh ****, Roach rush.

vs. Protoss
- i have no clue. i just look at what they're chrono boosting. if they chrono boost nexus i assume they're going for an econ advantage. if they chrono boost cybernetics core i assume they're going for quick Warp Gate. and if they chrono boost Gateway they may be going for early stalker harass

- 4 gate = omg bunker up really fast here comes da pain
- 3 gate = omg bunker up real fast still scared

-----------

so that's my current level of scouting which as u can see is some ****, lol. my macro is improving slowly but surely. and im getting really comfortable in the game just doing... stuff. i think my scouting level is very weak since when i do scout in my head im like, "ok he has this this and this. eh... maybe he's doing this? idk". im still not very strong at scouting cheese. things that throw up a red flag usually are:

- super early probe scouting my base. probably a proxy rush
- zerg with no expansion around 14-20. probably 6 pool or 7rr.
- idk really know red flags for terran except maybe wall offs.

so...

advice?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You seem to be expecting to get more out of your early scout than anyone ever would. Information is pretty limited at that point, which is why people often send additional scouts (Reapers, scans, Observers) later. You also really shouldn't expect to get full information against anyone below... well, below Masters level, probably, because you might be mistaking a non-standard build with them simply being suboptimal with the build order.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
makes sense.

the reason why i asked is because i definitely wanted to implement a reaper first build on larger maps to get additional scouting information.

at the same time maybe scouting isnt too important because as of now im just using set builds. not really gonna adjust to the marine/siege tank combo since it's so solid against nearly every push.

so i guess what im wondering is how do i effectively scout for cheese or things that are very out of the ordinary. because i think those are the only things that would force me to adjust my build order.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
good games sion indeed u taught me about 5 matches worth of games in two lol. i basically tried to learn scouting as much as i could durin those games. no johns of course. gg

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Your overthinking this way too much. Just scout early and youll be safe. The later you scout the less safe you are. Against zerg be ready to wall off early ling. For P and T cheese build a bunker

Reaper first builds are pretty good expansion builds. But if you can ever get away with plain 1rax expanding instead thats the better build.

Also you say you want to use reaper first builds on big maps? Big maps are hardest to cheese on. Fast expanding is better

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
can we talk about early scouting for a bit?

generally when i scout i look for a few things (as Terran):

vs. Terran:
- No gas? Probably early expand.
- Wall-off? Probably Cloaked Banshees. Possible Hellions.
- Double gas? Probably 1-base push.

vs. Zerg
- No gas + Expansion? Econ Spanishwa build.
- 1 gas? Expansion? Econ build with some kind of tech. Probably for Zergling speed. Possible Roach.
- No expansion? 1 gas? Oh ****, Roach rush.

vs. Protoss
- i have no clue. i just look at what they're chrono boosting. if they chrono boost nexus i assume they're going for an econ advantage. if they chrono boost cybernetics core i assume they're going for quick Warp Gate. and if they chrono boost Gateway they may be going for early stalker harass

- 4 gate = omg bunker up really fast here comes da pain
- 3 gate = omg bunker up real fast still scared

-----------

so that's my current level of scouting which as u can see is some ****, lol. my macro is improving slowly but surely. and im getting really comfortable in the game just doing... stuff. i think my scouting level is very weak since when i do scout in my head im like, "ok he has this this and this. eh... maybe he's doing this? idk". im still not very strong at scouting cheese. things that throw up a red flag usually are:

- super early probe scouting my base. probably a proxy rush
- zerg with no expansion around 14-20. probably 6 pool or 7rr.
- idk really know red flags for terran except maybe wall offs.

so...

advice?
vs toss just look how many gas has taking, if hes getting 1 hes gonna 4gate
if hes getting 2 just scout his narual all the time, if hes not taking an expansion suicide an overlord(or sscan if youre t) cuz hes probably teching something

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
really what i look for is how much gas they have. As zerg this is really all the scouting information you have available until you have speed overlord or overseers. You can really deduce a lot of information based on this and front scouting.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I cant believe you guys banned taldarim alter and dual sight

You ****ing noobs!

Especially nashun!!

DFEAR

Smash Hero
just noticing to count harvesters and gas...makes games easier to predict...wtf

j00t

Smash Champion
GG's Pakman. You taught me to always be ready for the unexpected. :)

Hope I get to play you in Melee one day.

I won 2-1

Top Bottom