• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i dont like the fact that its up to me to request for a switch. The bracket hasn't been played, you are the TO. I've brought to you the issue i had and you say "it won't make a difference if i do anything go ask ______ to switch and if they want to then fine".

Again, you are the TO. Its your job to correct these issues. If you don't want to correct it, then I withdraw,

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Fine, rebuilding the bracket.
I'm not at my usual computer right now, so I can't make the pretty pictures. For the time being, this is the new bracket.
You have until the end of Sunday, May 22, to play your matches.

4 Terran 2 Protoss 6 Zerg 1 Random

1. Pakman // Pakman.484 // Tal'Darim Altar
  2. TheKiest // TheKiest.573 // Metalopolis
  3. Trail // SouthPaw.150 // Metalopolis
  4. vrud // AllYourBase.445 // Tal'Darim Altar
  5. Nashun // gritnashun.348 // Dual Sight
  6. Sion // sion.925 // Crevasse
  7. AltF4 // Alt.354 // Dual Sight
  8. DFEAR // DFEAR.842 // Xel'Naga Caverns
  9. j00t // joot.669 // Dual Sight
  10. Roman. // fycROMAN.268 // Tal'Darim Altar
  11. TheYoster // YellowYoster.807 // Dual Sight
  12. Zone // Snafu.141 // None
  13. Nasty_Nate // NastyNate.922 // Typhon Peaks

Rules:
  • Best of 3
  • Finals are best of 5
  • Single elimination
  • First game will be played on the specified map for the round
  • Loser of previous game selects map for next game
  • You may not select a map you have already won on in a given set
  • Players must stay their designated race

Map Pool:

Sion

Island of Horizon
sveet ;_;

i think the point was sveet and trail are from the same region and are good friends, therefore it should only make sense to put them on opposite ends of the bracket

kind of like how smash tournaments are seeded

but i think this is all already obvious

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I disagree with seeding by location. I already offered Sveet a solution that would've easily put him on the other side of the bracket, and he didn't take it. I didn't tell him to ask them, I said that if someone else was willing to switch, then I could do the switch. They can all read this thread too, last I checked.

Zone

Smash Champion
People in GSL play their friends all the time. Teammates vs teammates ect. The thing with smash tournaments is... People drive 2-6 hours to get to tournaments sometimes more. Where it would be really uncool to play same people from your region. When it comes to sc2 we are all a click away from playing eachother so... It's like we're all from the same region. Not to mention this tourney series is very low man lol.

:phone:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Not sure why you would disagree. It's a tourny for fun. Who'd want to be paired up against the same person again two tournaments in a row if it can be avoided?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
He didn't get paired up twice in a row. This is Trail's first time entering. I might actually take notice if I see one guy getting the same first-round matchup as last time.

j00t

Smash Champion
Pakman, my favorite Luigi <3

I'll be able to play in a couple of days. I have an ear infection in both ears now, and I can't wear headphones with that :*(

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ankoku, me and trail have been playing as friends for months. In fact, last night we did teams for like 5 hours. We are diamond and masters in multiple teams together and we play 1v1s somewhat frequently.

I didn't say anything when i played against sion even though my most recent practice was against him. I only mentioned this with trail because he is literally the person i play sc2 with more than anyone else.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I beat a Zerg player today with a Void ray rush.

He was platinum league hahahaha.

Getting quick builds down is so easy but changing your strategy under pressure and doing it quickly is really hard for me.

I'm not good at micro at all yet.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I beat a Zerg player today with a Void ray rush.

He was platinum league hahahaha.

Getting quick builds down is so easy but changing your strategy under pressure and doing it quickly is really hard for me.

I'm not good at micro at all yet.
The order of things you should work on to get better is:

Builds -look up builds or spend the dozens of hours making your own work, then practice them/it
Understanding situations - knowing what it means when your opponent does things, watch/play games and take notes on cause/effect of players actions
Decison making - knowing the best response in any situation, watch games and note which decisions were bad and why and which were good and why
Macro - play mass games to get muscle memory
Micro - play mass games with specific circumstances to get muscle memory
Exact Timings - play mass games and learn the timings by instinct
Consistancy - play mass games and be able to put yourself on auto pilot until you absolutely need high level thinking.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I always felt that especially strong macro could get you through many situations on its own, up until maybe Diamond, at which point you actually have to macro toward a purpose.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I always felt that especially strong macro could get you through many situations on its own, up until maybe Diamond, at which point you actually have to macro toward a purpose.
this is why i said it is not something you should be specifically working on until later, since it comes from just playing alot, knowing what youshould be doing should come before just doing alot of stuff.

I can way out macro/micro a protoss as terran but if i don't recognise his void ray expand into DT harrass, i'm going to fail pretty hard when i went marauders expand into banshees

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, but that's a result of doing a somewhat non-standard build against a somewhat cheesy build. Obviously, if you macro toward scissors twice and he did a half-***** job of running rock both times, you should lose, but picking a standard composition like MMM or whatever shouldn't leave you open to gigantic hard counters.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would like to lodge an official complaint with the department of nobody cares that Trail uses the name "SouthPaw" since one of my best friends uses that name. XD (Smasher in Az, formerly the top player in Oklahoma) Every time I see the name, I'm like "Oh, snap! He didn't tell me he plays SC!... wait a minute... that's not him..."

But seriously, I'll be available to play in the evenings starting tomorrow. So just name a good time, Zone. Also, if anyone else doesn't mind (and the schedules align) I'd totally like to observe in some matches. It would be really fun.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im just glad i get to play with players better than myself that can teach me along the way. you teach me and ill teach you ;)

Omni

BRoomer
The order of things you should work on to get better is:

Builds -look up builds or spend the dozens of hours making your own work, then practice them/it
Understanding situations - knowing what it means when your opponent does things, watch/play games and take notes on cause/effect of players actions
Decison making - knowing the best response in any situation, watch games and note which decisions were bad and why and which were good and why
Macro - play mass games to get muscle memory
Micro - play mass games with specific circumstances to get muscle memory
Exact Timings - play mass games and learn the timings by instinct
Consistancy - play mass games and be able to put yourself on auto pilot until you absolutely need high level thinking.
dice
what builds do you use as terran? or which would you recommend? currently im doing:

vs. Zerg - 2 Rax FE with early aggression. Transitioning into Siege Tanks.
vs. Terran - Siege Tank Expand
vs. Protoss - 1 Base Marine/Raven/Banshee/Thor timing push.

rhan

Smash Hero
Omni: Your Protoss build sounds like too much of a hassle and seems like a all in..

Edit: Werekill you'll get out of Bronze. Just keep playing.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't play tomorrow Alt, lets aim for wednesday. 600p.m. CST
I'm in Arizona time. First off, yes we actually do have our own time zone. Isn't that awesome? Suck it, standards! We don't use daylight savings, so our relative time to other time zones changes throughout the year. Currently, we're the same as Pacific.

That was a really long way of saying that 6:00 CST will be 4:00 Az time, and I will still be in work. :) Realistically, I won't be able to play until around 7:00 Pm on weekdays. Which means 9:00 Pm for you. If that's still okay.

EDIT:

And Omni, 2 Rax is a good opening against Zerg on almost any map. You have the option of backing off and playing macro with little penalty, or keep on the pressure and try to win right there. If the Zerg doesn't know how to defend (pulling drones and trapping, essentially) then you just auto-win.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
1/2 Rax FE is a decently solid TvX opening, as well, but it takes quite a bit of experience to pull off a no-gas expand against Protoss. At higher levels, I'd be wary of attempting a gasless expand, since it leaves you open to heavy Banshee harass due to your delayed Stim research.

Zone

Smash Champion
That's too late for me I work 4am-5pm. And sleep at 8:30 cst usually. We probably gotta wait til the weekend.

:phone:

Edit: we're doomed I'm going to a tournament this weekend.

Omni

BRoomer
Omni: Your Protoss build sounds like too much of a hassle and seems like a all in..
It is an all-in, but it's so strong...

And I like it because it defends well against 4 gates (2 early bunkers), DT rushes (Raven), and denies scouting from Observers (Raven). It's like:

1 Raven
3 Thors
3-4 Banshees
12-15 Marines
4-5 SCV's (for absorbing or repairing)

That comes out around the 10 minute mark. If the Toss FE's at all then it's like an auto-win. PDD temporarily disables Stalkers. Thors negate forcefields. And the DPS of Marines/Banshees/Thor eat Zealot shields.

I usually always win or do so much economical damage that I can expand and upgrade normally without worry of any retaliation.

And Omni, 2 Rax is a good opening against Zerg on almost any map. You have the option of backing off and playing macro with little penalty, or keep on the pressure and try to win right there. If the Zerg doesn't know how to defend (pulling drones and trapping, essentially) then you just auto-win.
I 2 Rax against a Zerg player I play often in custom everytime. Sometimes I can bunker contain his natural, sometimes he holds it off. Question tho:

If I do bunker contain his natural I usually sit there for a bit and force him to 1-base while I FE. After 30 seconds or so I usually just evacuate my marines/scv's and salvage the bunkers since delaying his expansion was my goal. Also I leave a marine or scv behind the mineral line to catch whiff of when he tries to re-expand again.

Anyway, what normally comes next is normally a pretty strong 1-base Ling/Roach push. Knowing that this is coming what is probably the best way to defend against it? At that point in the game I have a fairly large amount of Marines that are currently be teched up with upgrades during the FE, but his army is definitely bigger. My goal is to get out Siege Tanks as soon as possible after the FE along with building a few more Rax and adding the Reactors, but I don't think it's fast enough.

1/2 Rax FE is a decently solid TvX opening, as well, but it takes quite a bit of experience to pull off a no-gas expand against Protoss. At higher levels, I'd be wary of attempting a gasless expand, since it leaves you open to heavy Banshee harass due to your delayed Stim research.
I think I'll save 1/2 Rax FE against P last since I think it will be the most difficult. I can't even imagine holding off a 4 gate while doing a gasless FE.

---

btw i havent been posting much here cuz i've just been actively playing a lot of SC2. not really laddering as much cuz ive been going over a friends place to play custom with them all day. ive noticed my BO's have started becoming less refined because i've been focusing a lot on just macro'ing so i'll probably go into YABOT and refine them once more. ill probably start laddering more, too.

<3 sc2

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Platinum zergs love the spanishiwa no gas opening. I have been stomping it with fast hellions harrass into mech push. When the hellions hit, their lings don't have speed and they don't use queens to block the ramp.

Omni

BRoomer
i actually haven't implemented hellions into my gameplay at all sadly

its just been straight marine/tank. then adding medivacs/vikings/ghosts as needed

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I 2 Rax against a Zerg player I play often in custom everytime. Sometimes I can bunker contain his natural, sometimes he holds it off. Question tho:

If I do bunker contain his natural I usually sit there for a bit and force him to 1-base while I FE. After 30 seconds or so I usually just evacuate my marines/scv's and salvage the bunkers since delaying his expansion was my goal. Also I leave a marine or scv behind the mineral line to catch whiff of when he tries to re-expand again.

Anyway, what normally comes next is normally a pretty strong 1-base Ling/Roach push. Knowing that this is coming what is probably the best way to defend against it? At that point in the game I have a fairly large amount of Marines that are currently be teched up with upgrades during the FE, but his army is definitely bigger. My goal is to get out Siege Tanks as soon as possible after the FE along with building a few more Rax and adding the Reactors, but I don't think it's fast enough.
I would say that after blocking the Zerg's expansion, you have taken a substantial lead. The Zerg pretty much has two options:

1) Go 1 base all-in with roaches or maybe a baneling bust.

2) Keep producing drones and oversaturate the main. Then break the contain at the natural and do a mass drone transfer.

It should be pretty easy to tell which option it is by looking at his drone count. So if you can get a single unit to look up at his base a minute after the contain hits, you know what to expect. If he goes 1 base all-in, then just play defense and beat his attack and you win the game. If he breaks the contain and expands, then just keep macroing and you'll be way ahead.

Technically there is probably a third option:

3) Sneak a drone out and do a hidden expand not at your natural. But that's less common, and kind of gimmicky.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I would say that after blocking the Zerg's expansion, you have taken a substantial lead. The Zerg pretty much has two options:

1) Go 1 base all-in with roaches or maybe a baneling bust.

2) Keep producing drones and oversaturate the main. Then break the contain at the natural and do a mass drone transfer.

It should be pretty easy to tell which option it is by looking at his drone count. So if you can get a single unit to look up at his base a minute after the contain hits, you know what to expect. If he goes 1 base all-in, then just play defense and beat his attack and you win the game. If he breaks the contain and expands, then just keep macroing and you'll be way ahead.

Technically there is probably a third option:

3) Sneak a drone out and do a hidden expand not at your natural. But that's less common, and kind of gimmicky.
This is so true. You really think you are way ahead after a moderately successful 2 rax, but a lot of times you aren't doing much economic damage and the zerg just one base ***** you.

rhan

Smash Hero
It is an all-in, but it's so strong...

And I like it because it defends well against 4 gates (2 early bunkers), DT rushes (Raven), and denies scouting from Observers (Raven). It's like:

1 Raven
3 Thors
3-4 Banshees
12-15 Marines
4-5 SCV's (for absorbing or repairing)

That comes out around the 10 minute mark. If the Toss FE's at all then it's like an auto-win. PDD temporarily disables Stalkers. Thors negate forcefields. And the DPS of Marines/Banshees/Thor eat Zealot shields.

I usually always win or do so much economical damage that I can expand and upgrade normally without worry of any retaliation.
It may pay off but it's such a hassle. And seems risky to me. idk. Maybe I just like playing standard too much.. lol I usually just go at the Toss with a Marine and 2 Marauders. and just keep reinforcing them with more Marauders. At the same time I'm running off 3 rax (2 tech labs 1 reactor) and upgrading in this order: Concussive Shells, Stim, +1. I can usually either put myself in a giant lead or outright win if I micro correctly.

i actually haven't implemented hellions into my gameplay at all sadly

its just been straight marine/tank. then adding medivacs/vikings/ghosts as needed
Hellions can be used for economic harass and scouting. It actually really helps to just push the tide in your favor when you go at him with Tank/Marine.

I love using Hellions in TvZ.

j00t

Smash Champion
I love it when people go hellion against my spanishiwa opening. It's so weak it's hilarious.

j00t

Smash Champion
yeah dont u usually have spine crawlers and 4 queens by that time?
Yeah. You can get away with three crawlers: one at the top ramp, one at each side of your exp. If you really want to defend you can build evo chambers blocking the ramp and the expo. Works best on metalopolis and backwater gulch.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Usually, the correct response against a Spanishiwa style defense is to just take another base and macro. Spending all that money on crawlers and queens means the Zerg has little offensive capability. If you're Terran, just expand.

Top Bottom