• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm semi-ripping the idea for this to do mini ones for the Pika and Zelda boards. Formatting them differently, though, so I won't steal your thunder or anything. =X

Lol @PSI's avatar.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Go ahead and rip the format. I'd actually prefer things to have a format that is more standardized.

For reference:
Melee And Brawl
Turn Around Neutral B (Reverse Neutral B) {in the air, tap back, then neutral B; turns your neutral b around}
Boost Grab {interrupting the initial frames of a dash attack with a grab; can be used for extra momentum}
Dash {the initial section of a run}
Fox Trotting {Starting a new dash at the end of your dash window}
Jump Cancel (JC) usmash/Up-B {During the jump startup, usmash or up b; does a grounded usmash/up b}
Pivot Grab {melee: pivot into a grab; brawl: hit back then grab: performs a special reverse grab}
Auto Cancel {landing while during a specific window on an attack resulting in only normal landing lag}
Meteor Cancel {canceling momentum of a Meteor Smash}

Shield Canceling {shield to stop running}
De-sync [ICs] {having the ICs do separate things or with separate timings}
Rising Pound [jiggs] {Jiggs' upward angled side b}
Missile Canceling [Samus]{landing right after shooting a missle with samus}
Short Hop (SH) {releasing the jump command before leaving the ground; shorter jump}
FastFall (FF) {pressing down on the way down while in normal aerial control; fall faster}
Shield Grabbing {grabbing out of shield}
Teching {pressing R before being slammed into a surface; cuts knockback/ stands up fast}

Edge Hogging {being on the edge preventing someone else from being on it}
Edge Hopping (aka Ledge Hopping){dropping from the edge, then air jumping back to the stage}
Edge Jumping (aka Ledge Jumping) {Jumping off of the edge by pressing a Jump input while on the edge}

Dash Dancing {dashing one way, then the other during dash}
Hitlag {The freeze frames shared by the hitter and hittee of an attack after hit, but before the hittee is sent flying}
Hitstun {The window which someone sent flying can take no actions in}
Directional Influence (DI) {Bending the trajectory of knockback by holding the control stick in a perpendicular to knockback position during the last frame of hitlag; "DI" ONLY applies to the bending of knockback while being hit, not while moving your character through the air}
Smash DI (SDI) {Pressing the control stick during hitlag to give you an instantaneous small teleport}
Automatic Smash DI (ASDI) {Holding a direction during the last frame of hitlag with either stick - c stick has priority - to generate a teleport 1/2 SDI length in the direction held}

Drifting {Holding sideways in the air while under control of your character to cause it to move more left or right; NOT DI}
Tumble {The window which someone sent flying can take an action in, but is still falling}
Blockstun {The window which a shielder is stuck in shield after the shield is hit NOT COUNTING HITLAG}
Powershield {Shielding only a few frames before an attack would hit you and getting the different shield}
Short Hop (optional]Double/ triple) Laser (SH[D/T]L) [Fox, Falco, Wolf]

Float Cancel [Peach]{dropping out of a float to the ground to end an aerial; normal landing lag in Melee}
Needle Canceling [Sheik] {pressing R to cancel charging needles on sheik}
Shield Dropping {on a platform out of your shield, slowly press down to drop through the platform, from directly in your shield}
Jump Cancel _____ (JC _____) {canceling your jump with ______}
Jump Canceling (no abbrv) {canceling something with a jump}
Bomb Jump [samus] {receiving a vertical boost from a down b exploasion (samus only)}
Zair {an aerial done using the grab button that is not a nair, fair, dair, bair, or uair}
Tether Recovery [anyone with a zair] {brawl: autosweetspots the edge - fails if edgehogged; Melee can grab the wall anywhere and doesn't afraid of anything}
Walljump [several characters] {Jumping off a wall; does not take a midair jump}
Sweetspot {grabbing the edge directly out of your recovery, removing the ending animation; alternatively, grabbing the edge from max range; when referencing a part of an attack, the hitbox that has the most effect}
Grab Release {when a grabee breaks out of a grab}
Chain Grab (CG) {Grabbing a character just thrown before their hitstun ends}
Out of Shield (OoS) {performing an action from in your shield}

Brawl
Platform Auto Snap {Pressing down when passing through a moving platform to automatically land on it}
B-Reversal {smash back immediately after doing a special; turns you around in some specials}
B Bouncing (BB) {using momentum from a momentum generating special to push you}
Boost [Smashing/Item Throwing/Pivot Grab] (replaces the term DAC/ DACUS){Immediately canceling a dash attack by either a usmash, throwing an item, or pivot grabbing; slides various distances}
Craq Walking {Drifting backwards and taking a single step backwards when landing to gain a momentum slide}
Glide Toss {throwing an item in the early part of a roll; ends the roll with momentum}
Jump Cancel (JC) Item Throw {canceling a jump with an item throw; generates momentum}
Platform Drop Cancel {begin dropping through a platform put up your shield; end in standing shield position on the platform}
Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) {run, turn around, jump; in the air facing opposite how you were running, with momentum in the direction of your run}

Edge Popping {holding down to avoid sweetspot}
Grab Armor (Armor Grab) {The superarmor received while you are grabbing, on the frame you grabbed them}
AirWalk {run off the edge, and walk back onto it}
Crawl Dashing {walk forward, start crawling back; slide backwards}
Jab Lock {locking someone in a fallen state with jabs}
Stutter Stepping {using the window for pressing sideways for an fsmash to dash a bit then fsmash}

Dribbling {glide tossing downward to generate different movement}
Infinite Second Jump (ISJ) ?better term? {performing a double jump right before landing with certain aerials or specials; instead of landing, you double jump, refreshes double jump}
Dashing Usmash {doing a usmash directly out of dash}
Dash Attack Hit Cancel Up Smash (DAHCUS) {cancels a dash attack immediately into a usmash after hit; only in early part of dash attack}
Edge Hugging (Hugging) {running off the edge, and immediately grabbing it by holding back}
Instant Pivot Grab {inputting dashgrabcstick back; performs a pivot grab very quickly}
Dashing Usmash {pressing up C to perform a usmash out of run/dash}
Input Delay {Built in time it takes your input to take effect when playing on Wifi}

Imo, missile cancel, needle cancel, float cancel, and shield drop should stay.

Missile cancel was going to be my guinea pig example for my Airwalk writeup, so it could go under Airwalk like we've done for mortar slide, etc.

Aerial Needle cancel should at least stay as it is part of SCACs.

Float cancel seems relevant imo, but it is debatable.

Shield drop, although very overlooked in competitive play, still seems relevant enough imo to stay in 2.0.

Also, I was thinking that we could compile a changelist. This is a venerable occassion, as it is the second standard terms list, a year apart from the first, and is worthy of one imo.

Anyhow, here's another change I was thinking we could add to the format to make the whole thing cleaner and denser.

Airwalk [Certain Characters] - Certain characters have traits or moves that allow them to briefly go offstage, then drift back. The most common traits that allow this are floatiness and aerial mobility. When performed through a move, the move is usually cancelled when the character crosses the ledge. Not to be confused with Lucario's Altered Momentum DownAir, whose popular name is also "the Airwalk". See: AMDA
[collapse=list of compatible characters/moves]let's work on this, hm?[/collapse]
How to Perform:
-Through a trait: Flick the control stick to go offstage, then drift back onstage.
-Through a move: Run, then in the move's specific window, input the move so that you conserve momentum and slide off the ledge, then drift back.
[collapse=~Missile Ledge Cancel(?) (Samus)]- Used in reference to dashing with Samus, then, at a certain point in the dash, inputting a missile so that you slide off the stage and the missile is cancelled. Samus is then left hanging in the air right next to ledge in which there is a window large enough to airwalk. Also useful for edgeguarding, as it puts Samus right in front of the ledge.[/collapse]
[collapse=~UBCLC {UpB Charge Ledge Cancel}(?) (Toon Link)]- Used in reference to dashing with Toon Link, then, at a certain point in the dash, inputting UpB so that you slide off the stage and the UpB is cancelled. Toon Link is then left hanging in the air right next to ledge in which there is a window large enough to airwalk. Also useful for edgeguarding, as it puts Toon Link right in front of the ledge. However, the timing for this airwalk is stricter than others.[/collapse]
Collapse keeps everything dense and pretty, though the tag botches up the use of more brackets, meaning you can't bold, underline, etc. properly, and you can't do [character], because the last bracket is cut off.

--

Shiek can airwalk with her needle charge, though that's pretty difficult, and I think TL can airwalk with boomerang and arrow.

--

Man I love the 10th anniversary icon.

TheMike

Smash Lord
The "Ledge Cancelled UpB" also works for Link and Sheik, and it is actually called Vanish Edgeguard as far as I know.

When Shiek does it, she doesn't cancel her vanish, or even airwalk for that matter. All she does is complete her vanish in a very tight area in close proximity to the ledge. As for Link, I wouldn't know, I don't think I've ever even toyed around with him, haha. But I'm pretty sure he would have the same effect as TL, except he wouldn't be able to airwalk.

And what I was talking about is better described as an UpB Charge Ledge Cancel. You dash with TL, then as you are at the very tip of the ledge, you hold B to charge his Spin Attack. What should happen is that TL simply drops off in his idle falling animation with a charge sparkle trailing behind him. If you don't charge, you'll simply UpB. If you charge too early, you'll stay onstage. If you UpB too early, you'll just end up doing a falling UpB. Also, the charge cancel can be bounced on platforms so you end up facing toward the platform when you cancel.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
vanish gliding is awezum

I know ICs have a form of this, if they use ice block they'll slide with the animation but the ice block becomes canceled by the ledgegrab, making it a mediocre edgehog mindgame.

Veril

Frame Savant
don't refer to a technique as "gliding" when it has nothing to do with the actual glide or glide attacks

/facepalm

generally techniques of that sort (run momentum transfers/modifiers sans friction when transitioning from ground to air via the ledge and performing a special) are grouped under "ledgesliding specials" and are individually referred to as "some abbreviation of the actual special"-sliding. Ex. Thundersliding with Lucas is starting PKT1 and sliding off the ledge to take advantage of the run momentum and ignore the effect of friction, creating a huge boost because of the move properties (conserves momentum horizontally initially).

So ____sliding.

Airwalking is a legit term, basically starting an aerial immediately upon leaving stage and then moving back onstage because its brawl and moon gravity for everyone etc...

Using a special to slide off and snap to the ledge is "special's name/something relating closely to that name" hogging, just like its always been.

In regards to technical terminology (basically the abbreviations and terms I use in my spreadsheets), and formula, I'm gonna make a thread for that.

You don't necessarily snap onto the ledge though when you use specials, because they are cancelled almost immediately upon leaving offstage. This leaves you in the air with all of your options open almost as close to the ledge as possible without sweetspotting it.

And idk about using aerials to airwalk, it's possible, but it's usually trickier/not as accessible to all characters. So far all I've been able to do that could qualify as airwalking is using ROB's Dair as soon as I go offstage, then drifting back. Not too spectacular, really, as airwalking should be imo.

I also remember when I was testing one of the earlier builds of PSA Mewtwo, where he was so aerially gifted that you could just tap offstage then airwalk back, no strings attached. Pretty cool imo.

Anyhow I'm now back home with my Wii and my comp, however, internet, phone, and TV is screwed over for some reason, so I'm going to have to use 3G until I get that **** fixed. Meanwhile, I'm going to compile a list of SCACable specials and maybe airwalks.

Veril

Frame Savant
SCACable? huh

You mean sliding momentum transfer or ledge canceling ala QA/zelda-upb/ganon-downb/CF-downb/MK-sideb? that stuff's well known

there is an existing list of ledge momentum effects by tyr_03

ledge cancelable specials are all known and listed iirc

I thought I saw an airwalking list somewhere.

Check the OP brah... it says what a SCAC is.

Well, either way, it'll keep me busy until my computer's internet is working again and I can start data mining.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Alright, I updated the OP. We should start gathering the universal terms now. I want everyone to make sure they get all the universal terms they possibly can.

(universal terms applies to advanced techniques not involving specific specials mechanics. They are usually found in cancel-able actions in normal attacks (ie Dash Attack, Jump, F-smash), flow of events that occur (ie Jab Lock Mechanic/Flow, Jab Flow/Combo/Cancel) and certain universal special aspects (ie Wavebouncing, B-reversal, SCAC))

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for picking up my slack, man.

College >_____>

i'll be on top of things from here on out.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Alright. So... I think I was jumping ahead of myself last night, so I jumped back a little. Make sure to check out the OP.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think we might need to rethink BDACUS, considering that the input doesn't really involve DA (hence why characters like Diddy can perform it when previously they were unable). Wouldn't it technically be better for it to be a Buffer Boosted Dashing usmash/hyphen smash?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
So here is a list of basic ones I can come up with right now:
I will keep updating this post, or if BengalsRZ wants this post, he should just ask :p

Movement
Dash
Pivot
Run
Walk1
Walk2
Walk3 (3 speeds of walking)
Jump
Jump Start
Double Jump (applies to all aerial jumps)
Crouch
Crawl
Falling
Drifting (aka ADI)

Dodges
Air Dodge
Spotdodge (aka Side-step)
Forward Roll
Backward Roll

Ledge Movement
Ledge Roll
Ledge Jump
Ledge Get-up
Ledge Attack
Ledge Grab
Ledge Hang

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah. Unlike a regular DACUS where it takes your momentum while you're in a DACUS, it takes the momentum at the very start. (which is very small for Snake and very large for Diddy and Falco)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Well, IIRC it actually is a DACUS. It's still a Dash Attack being canceled into an u-smash.

http://www.youtube.com/user/innocentroads#p/a/u/1/m-89ZqQOGSo

See how he picks up the item with the Dash Attack?

Anyway, that is for AT's. We're working on just the basics ATM.
oh, I guess the input is deceiving.

wow, if I didn't know any better, snake was just doing a running usmash out of spotdodge, although the banana pickup says otherwise

Luxor

Smash Champion
I think we should stick with "drifting" over "aerial DI," since the latter is pretty ambiguous. I'd also change "Side-step" to "Spotdodge," since it's just as clear and more widespread, just like how we say "tech" instead of "ukemi." Apart from that, I like the idea of canonizing all these different movement options.

T-block

B2B TST
If I'm understanding it correctly, BDACUS is done by inputting a u-smash on frame 1 or something of the Dash Attack. This is impossible to do without buffering because of the way the game reads inputs. That's the case for Diddy anyways.

So you have to buffer the Dash Attack out of something, like a spot dodge, and then you're allowed to input the u-smash at the right time. I'm wondering if putting a "buffered" in front of the name is even necessary? It's still a DACUS, but some characters just have to utilize the buffer to execute it.

As for the movement list, add Double Jump and (Dash) Pivot? Also, ledge get-ups, ledge attacks, ledge rolls, ledge jumps?

Agreed on "drifting" over "aerial DI". I thought you actually meant influencing your launch trajectory when I saw it in that list. I think it should be "spotdodge" over "side-step" as well.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Agreed @drifting.

Wait, we're defining stuff like walking....? I thought this was for ATs only. :urg:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Again, can you guys get on AIM.

And yes, we need to make sure that everything is defined.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I got people over (as usual x.x), so I wouldn't be paying attention. ;;

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uhh.... tbh, I usually have company over or I'm out pretty much everyday, so I'm only available late-ish at night. ;; Like after 12. Or during the afternoon sometimes.

Veril

Frame Savant
drifting is good

b-dacus is silly. That said there are several variants of the dash attack cancel up-smash.
1. The buffered DACUS: requires that the dash attack be canceled on frame 1. The only way to do this is by buffering the dash attack and the upsmash so they occur simultaneously.
2. The standard DACUS: after frame 1 but before the hitbox appears.
3. The dash attack hit canceled up-smash: not really an accurate name. The hit is not necessary and this is NOT a case of IASA on hit, it is simply occuring later in the moves animation.

The way I'd like people to notate DACUS's here in the smashlab would be DACUS/DACG(cancel frame), as generally you can cancel an upsmash on several different frames each of which have a different effect. A bDACUS would be DACUS(1), for example.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
For a public terms list, I think for the public, it is not necessary. However, having a list separate would be good.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Attacks
Tether Grab vs. Tether Ledge Grab

Dodges (standard)

Teching ****

Ground Movement:
Dash
Run#
Walk#
Pivot Walk
Run Pivot (TurnRun)
Run Break
Crouch
Crawl (F,B)
Tripping
Tech Rolls
Tech
Slip Roll
Prone _ vs. Getup _
Dash Canceling Shield
Dodge Roll

Aerial Movement:
Jumping (Short Hop vs. Full Hop)
Jump-start
Mid-air Jump#
Recovery Special
Wall Jump
Wall Cling
Wall Techs
Wall Tech Jump
Footstool Jump
Drifting

Ledge Stuff:
Ledge attack (0v.100)
Ledge Climb (0v.100)
Ledge Roll
Ledge Drop
Ledge Jump (vs. Ledge Hop)
Ledgegrab (Veril)

Swimming:
Surfacing
Swimming
Floundering
Drowning
(Amazing Ampharos)

-----------

Stuff that will likely be disucssed in thread:

Ground Movement AT's:
DAC
Glide Tossing
Landing Pivot Walk

Specific Interrupts

Universal Special Techniques:
Recoil
B-reversal
Turnaround-B

That's what we got from the IRC meeting.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Genus: Ground Lock
Species: Jab Lock, f-tilt lock, b-air lock, n-air lock, etc.

Veril

Frame Savant
there is no aerial lock lol.

GIMR I'm upset you weren't in the meeting. I know you were interested in the actual mechanics of distance and range, and that you are working on website guides for several games. Talk to me sometime and I'll try to explain the concepts behind disjoint calculation, coverage, etc.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
there is no aerial lock lol.

GIMR I'm upset you weren't in the meeting. I know you were interested in the actual mechanics of distance and range, and that you are working on website guides for several games. Talk to me sometime and I'll try to explain the concepts behind disjoint calculation, coverage, etc.
sounds cool, BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4sTCS7knCM

Veril

Frame Savant
All locks are grounded because they only function on opponents who have missed a tech, and thus must be grounded. I know about the forced getup / locking aerials. Anything that has the right knockback values can serve as a locking move. The lock doesn't need to be an infinite, though the term "____ lock" refers to a type of infinite. One thing that I'm not sure was resolved last night.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
BTW, I'm making the 'thread' about missed techs and how it functions (including 'jab locks').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom