• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Y U no on skype?
Okay, I'm going to make a point to download Skype on this computer and join you guys in one of these mythical skype chats, but it'll have to wait until monday since I'm booked on weekends.

and, zair is where it's at. "We're gonna use Zair and make Grab Aerial/Gair an alternative." is the motion I support. The public won't change in this instance, so it's best to adopt the common term as the standard and have whatever technical term we want it to be follow after. We don't have a great record for making name changes that stick, sadly.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the more I think about gair the more I dislike it. :/ I'll work on this today in the afternoon, Had a lot to do the last days =D

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'm just going to make notes of stuff that ought to be amended on the list of terms for right now.

Attacks: Needs definition. Something like "Action that occurs when button inputted is mapped to the 'attack' function in controls"

Jab1: What is a combo? It isn't defined yet. It should be noted that the control stick needs to be in the neutral position. The current definition as written is otherwise vague.

Jab2: Remove "Combo hits". For the rest of the jabs, just remove the references to combo.

Fsmash2 references Sheik for some reason when it she isn't in parantheses

You ought to define "Charge" during the smash section at some point.

_________________________________-

Walk- You used walking to define walk. lol dont' do that. "Movement by tilting control stick...

Dash and Run need to be clearer in their differences in input. I was under the impression Dash was a tap, while Run was a tap and hold method.

Jump Start: Don't most people call this Jump Squat?

Glide: Can also be started by shuttle loop

Dash Dance should be defined here.

There really should be terms for reverse initial dash and forward initial dash imo, but I play ICs and that might be the only character that it matters.

Roll dash cancelling needs to be defined. It's not defined or used yet, but it exists.

Ledge Drop hitting backwards and hitting down ought to be differentiated in some way with standard terms imo. While similar, they have different inputs AND different results, thus should be treated as such.

I'll work on the next post tomorrow :)

Yikarur

Smash Master
Attacks: Needs definition. Something like "Action that occurs when button inputted is mapped to the 'attack' function in controls"
I see what I can do but I don't really know if this is necessary.

Jab1: What is a combo? It isn't defined yet. It should be noted that the control stick needs to be in the neutral position. The current definition as written is otherwise vague.

Jab2: Remove "Combo hits". For the rest of the jabs, just remove the references to combo.
it's still mostly indigos wording, I'll remove that.

Fsmash2 references Sheik for some reason when it she isn't in parantheses
Will be removed.

You ought to define "Charge" during the smash section at some point.
kk

_________________________________-

Walk- You used walking to define walk. lol dont' do that. "Movement by tilting control stick...
it's not like we need to define words you find in a dictionary but I'll work on the how to.

Dash and Run need to be clearer in their differences in input. I was under the impression Dash was a tap, while Run was a tap and hold method.
Dash are the first frames of running. They are clarified really good imo. Dash goes into running after the dash frames are over.

Jump Start: Don't most people call this Jump Squat?
add it as alternative.

Glide: Can also be started by shuttle loop
kk

Dash Dance should be defined here.
not sure. ATs are a different section but I think about it.

There really should be terms for reverse initial dash and forward initial dash imo, but I play ICs and that might be the only character that it matters.
talked about this in skype, I'm not going to add it.

Roll dash cancelling needs to be defined. It's not defined or used yet, but it exists.
probably belongs to the AT part but I'll try to fuse the Standard Terms with Standard AT Terms if they are "standard" enough. Is this term legit?

-
Ledge Drop hitting backwards and hitting down ought to be differentiated in some way with standard terms imo. While similar, they have different inputs AND different results, thus should be treated as such.
talked about in skype, both ledgedrops are the same.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Random thoughts about words needed to be defined

Landing Lag
Landing Penalty
Soft Landing
Hard Landing
Autocancel
Landcancel (landing with an aerial)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Landcancel as in Landcancel vs. Autocancel of an aerial. It's how I help categorize the frame advantages on my aerials.

Yikarur

Smash Master
but that term doesn't exist and I don't get your explanation either. Sounds like Aerial Landing Lag.

for Landing Lag penalty: I know there is a list of the exact frames for each character, where do I finde these? I'll list that in the compatible area.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Land Cancelling would be the act of landing with an aerial while the aerial cannot be autocancelled.

Yikarur

Smash Master
but you don't cancel your land, where did you get that term from? it's really useless imo.

Sieguest

Smash Master
You don't cancel the land, but you cancel the rest of the aerial.

The result of landcanceling an aerial is experiencing Aerial landing lag.

Methinks the reason rPSI would want to include it is that "landcanceling" an aerial is sometimes more beneficial than waiting for the beginning of the autocancel frames to come. What comes to my mind is Marth F-air(???). Or more likely it is just for the sake of being able to differentiate between landing during an aerial prematurely and landing when an aerial is able to be autocanceled at the time.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
for Landing Lag penalty: I know there is a list of the exact frames for each character, where do I finde these? I'll list that in the compatible area.
It's in Google Docs, the newbrawlattributedata sheet. Columns CD-CI.

DeLux

Z Aerial - Grab Aerial compromise. When listing inputs, stay away from buttons but in game names. So inputs is "shield + attack" rather than "shield + A". Or instead of "Z" replace with "Grab". Every abbreviated form of "Zair" should read fully as Grab Aerial.

Tether - replace last sentence: The following list gives characters with their respective tethers.

Jump OoS - you don't need to use the analogue stick to do it

Should we define "Shield Drop" and/or "Shield Slide"?

For the Dash/Run section, should it be mention that shield also cancels along with the other options?

Grab - Stay away from button inputs. Hot key for ground "shield + attack". There is stuff about Grab Armor here. Should it have its own term?

Pummel - Stay away from button inputs

Throws - You don't need "while in your grasp"

Hit lag- QCDI is just another form of SDI

SHIELD DI - People call this ISSDI. Are we dropping that as acceptable?

Offensive Collision - It would make sense to make this "Hit Box". It compares with Hurt Box, and the community calls it that on precedent (not to steal a line of logic from the Zair camp)

Yikarur

Smash Master
I don't care what you write this time because the whole second part is written by Indigo, I wanted to finish what is in the first part first.

Yikarur

Smash Master
OP updated, still need to rewrite the whole jab part though but I'm at a tournament the whole weekend so see ya :p

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Taping should be Tapping, lol.
And use input rather than order. I've never seen someone call it a "grab order", as order has a different used meaning. Input is generally what most people call it. :p
Indent the sections for Up/Down Angled F-tilts and F-smashes as they are a type of F-smash.
Specials are also not defined.

Toomai

Smash Ace
You know what would be awesome, actually? If we could get someone to translate the SSB64 website. That way we might find official names for sex kick, fastfalling, angling, clang, and maybe even L-cancelling.

There's some fascinating stuff there that can be glimpsed with Google Translate. Yeah, okay, it's not specifically Brawl-related, but if meteor smashes were known as such way back then, chances are other things haven't changed either.

DeLux

For symbolic reasons, I would like for us to get this out on Sunday :)

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Specials, Sexkick, that's it then?

We still need to proofread over to see if everything's clear. Why Sunday again?

DeLux

Easter

It's the Resurrection
of the Smash Lab

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
w/e lol

Angled Ftilt/Fsmash characters need to be done too

DeLux

There's an error in the Grab Order description. You say attack is for only one frame, but this is not the case. I charge smashes using the grab button routinely which couldn't happen if attack were held for one frame only.

Yikarur

Smash Master
hey guys! I have spring break and I'm on my way a looot so I'm not at home and blahblah

^
Yeah you're right. I thought about that too, I'll correct anything soon ._.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I have spring break and mainly not at home thats why I didn't advanced a lot with the List overall. Just be patient :3

DeLux

You should just copy and paste the word document in the skype chat and let rPSI, Bionic, or me finish it if you're busy. It's no big deal. We just want to get things cracking. We're already past the resurrection date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom