• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh I just remembered.

What about explaining ledge tactics? Like ledge-drop, ledge hop, ledge get-u, and ledge roll + the ledge attacks. Things related like "ledgesnap" or sweetspotting the ledge could probably go in there too. Ledgehog, whatever you could possibly think of.

If I can, I'll probably edit this post unless somebody makes a new one.

:093:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yes, Yoshi can drop through platforms while shielding too.

a lot explanation are too long and too detailed imo
you used a lot of Terms I've never heard and a lot of terms that are totally wrong.

shield daze
shield blast

shield jump (It's mainly called Jump OoS) and lol
"Cancelling your shield into a jump by tapping up on the analogue stick."
I hope you see the mistake you did here.

Shield Tilting is called Shield Angling actually. "to angle the shield"
Shield Pushback is the used word

Pummel is also called "Grab Attack"

and don't always say "Z". Grab is it's own order.

"struggle inputs"

while I know what the sense of this term is, I don't really like it because I'm not struggeling while doing it xDD

It's actually called "Grab Release" parted in "Ground Release" and "Air Release".
if Yoshi Ground releases his opponent it's called "ground break" because you need to break out in orde to this happen.

and whats with that "Blanked term" ?

SDI (Smash Directional Influence) [Universal] - Tapping directions on the analogue stick while in hitlag to move a short distance in the tapped direction. A variation of this is TDI, Tap Directional Influence, which is done with the C-Stick.

this hurts, TDI doesn't exist and the actually use of the term TDI was of some random guy that tries to explain DI overall and he uses it do describes Smash DI done with Controlstick.
but pls forget the term overall, it's just "Smash DI".

ASDI (Automatic Smash Directional Influence) [Universal] - Holding or tapping a direction on the analogue stick on the last frame of a multi-hit move's hitlag, to be translated in a similar fashion to that of Smash Directional Influence, although only half the distance.

ASDI occures on the first frame of knockback, not the last frame of hitlag and works with every move.
where did you get that "half distance" from? Is that just guessing?

ADI (Aerial Directional Influence) [Universal] - See: Drifting[/indent]

pls drop this term ._.

Momentum Cancel/Momentum Cancelling [Universal] - An action or series of actions that serve to cancel or reduce knockback. All characters have some method to cancel or reduce knockback. The most common are aerials, fastfalling, a second jump, and air dodging.

Air dodge after the aerial have no effect on momentum canceling.

like I said, a lot of explanation aren't really awesome (too long and stuff) but it's nice that you gave us a guideline. We could work on that ^-^

I would rather like that you use more actions than specific stuff like..
"You do a pummel by pressing A or Z"
in
"You do a pummel by doing "Attack" while grabbing"

or something like that.

I don't know what I should think about the use of "offensive collision". In such explanations it just sounds weird..

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
For Ledgesnaps, make sure you include Half Circle Ledgesnap Vs. Drifting Ledgesnap (like how Snake can't drifting Ledgesnap, but he can QC Ledgesnap)

Add (Mashing) for Struggle Inputs. I personally think Struggle Inputs is a good term for what we want.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't think iJeans meant to say "Airdodge after aerial" He meant to say it as in some characters have airdodges that are faster than even their quickest aerial; and in that regard it would be more optimal for them to airdodge as opposed to using an aerial for MCing.

I believe that applies to Ike & Snake. It may or may not be either of those two, and there may or may not be other characters it applies to, but that's the gist of it methinks.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I see a lot of Snakes airdodge to momentum cancel, so I think it does apply to him.

Oh I just remembered.

What about explaining ledge tactics? Like ledge-drop, ledge hop, ledge get-u, and ledge roll + the ledge attacks. Things related like "ledgesnap" or sweetspotting the ledge could probably go in there too. Ledgehog, whatever you could possibly think of.

If I can, I'll probably edit this post unless somebody makes a new one.

I think we've got those done. Check the second post.

Yes, Yoshi can drop through platforms while shielding too.

Ah, okay. Thanks

a lot explanation are too long and too detailed imo
you used a lot of Terms I've never heard and a lot of terms that are totally wrong.

shield daze
shield blast

Idk what else to call the daze you're in after a shield break. Lol. Never heard a term for it actually. Also I originally had "Shield Blast" as "Shield Jump" because that's what I've heard it called. rPSI told me to change it, and I had no idea what to call it, so I just pulled that out of my ***.

shield jump (It's mainly called Jump OoS) and lol
"Cancelling your shield into a jump by tapping up on the analogue stick."
I hope you see the mistake you did here.

I'm sure we can reach a compromise on the name. I'm thinking of putting Jump OoS as the main name and in parenthesis Shield Jump. Yeah? Also, I don't.:c Please enlighten me.

Shield Tilting is called Shield Angling actually. "to angle the shield"

All the same to me.

Shield Pushback is the used word

Again, never really heard it, I've heard Shield Push more, but I'll add Pushback in parenthesis.

Pummel is also called "Grab Attack"

K.

I'm not understanding you.

"struggle inputs"

while I know what the sense of this term is, I don't really like it because I'm not struggeling while doing it xDD

Yes, but you're struggling to free yourself.:bee:

It's actually called "Grab Release" parted in "Ground Release" and "Air Release".
if Yoshi Ground releases his opponent it's called "ground break" because you need to break out in orde to this happen.

Again, not quite catching your drift.

and whats with that "Blanked term" ?

People will use DI just as a very general term when talking about, well, DI'ing a hit. They don't always mean regular DI. So seeing how it's used, I made it a point to note that out.

SDI (Smash Directional Influence) [Universal] - Tapping directions on the analogue stick while in hitlag to move a short distance in the tapped direction. A variation of this is TDI, Tap Directional Influence, which is done with the C-Stick.

this hurts, TDI doesn't exist and the actually use of the term TDI was of some random guy that tries to explain DI overall and he uses it do describes Smash DI done with Controlstick.
but pls forget the term overall, it's just "Smash DI".

I see no problem with the inclusion of it. I didn't even add it underneath, just gave it a small mention within the definition. I want to get other members' thoughts on this before I take it out/w/e.

ASDI (Automatic Smash Directional Influence) [Universal] - Holding or tapping a direction on the analogue stick on the last frame of a multi-hit move's hitlag, to be translated in a similar fashion to that of Smash Directional Influence, although only half the distance.

ASDI occures on the first frame of knockback, not the last frame of hitlag and works with every move.
where did you get that "half distance" from? Is that just guessing?

Okay, well, I'll take your word for it. My knowledge on general DI is sub-par. So could you elaborate on what differentiates ASDI from just standard DI? On the "half-distance" thing, it's just one of those bits of data that you hear floating around. I just put it in there for good measure.

ADI (Aerial Directional Influence) [Universal] - See: Drifting[/indent]

pls drop this term ._.

ADI has been discussed before in the IRC. It seems it really is used a bit, so I see no harm in that little section.

Momentum Cancel/Momentum Cancelling [Universal] - An action or series of actions that serve to cancel or reduce knockback. All characters have some method to cancel or reduce knockback. The most common are aerials, fastfalling, a second jump, and air dodging.

Air dodge after the aerial have no effect on momentum canceling.

See Kinzer's quote.

like I said, a lot of explanation aren't really awesome (too long and stuff) but it's nice that you gave us a guideline. We could work on that ^-^

I would rather like that you use more actions than specific stuff like..
"You do a pummel by pressing A or Z"
in
"You do a pummel by doing "Attack" while grabbing"

or something like that.

I don't know what I should think about the use of "offensive collision". In such explanations it just sounds weird..

All of that is just for, you know, officialness.
Responses in bold.

For Ledgesnaps, make sure you include Half Circle Ledgesnap Vs. Drifting Ledgesnap (like how Snake can't drifting Ledgesnap, but he can QC Ledgesnap)

Add (Mashing) for Struggle Inputs. I personally think Struggle Inputs is a good term for what we want.
I know what QC ledgesnapping is, but I don't know what drifting ledgesnap is. Tell me more?

Also, consider it done.

I don't think iJeans meant to say "Airdodge after aerial" He meant to say it as in some characters have airdodges that are faster than even their quickest aerial; and in that regard it would be more optimal for them to airdodge as opposed to using an aerial for MCing.

I believe that applies to Ike & Snake. It may or may not be either of those two, and there may or may not be other characters it applies to, but that's the gist of it methinks.

Yep. Airdodge for some characters gives them quicker access to the rest of their options.

Hitbox and Hurtbox should be added. (random passing term thought)
Alright.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ledge-drop ain't there though Jeans. :<

It should be worthy to mention, since some characters love to drop from the ledge, attack with an aerial that passes through the stage, and then hug the ledge again.

I won't even bother going into how I love to ledgedrop jump-canceled reverse SpinDash to Bair.

Also, let me see if I can answer this for rPSI. Drifting ledgesnap is just simply getting to the ledge by conventional means. Like not using a recovery type move, or "edgehogging"

Yikarur

Smash Master
We dropped ADI at the IRC chat because we agreed it isn't a true term.

"

I'm not understanding you.
"

"Grab" is it's own input. It isn't called "Z", Z is the button that is used to "Grab".

So could you elaborate on what differentiates ASDI from just standard DI?

DI is changing your knockback angle. ASDI is a small warp like SDI on the first frame of knockback, it's was allows you to collide with the floor when you got hit in air. I was supposed to do a write-up about it but I'm so lazy and I'm so stressed and meeeeeeh >_<

"Shield Tilting is called Shield Angling actually. "to angle the shield""

All the same to me.

To you doesn't mean to people :p

and about grab release..
Grab Release = the overall term
Ground Release = Grab Releasing grounded
Air Release = Grab Releasing in Air.
Ground Break = A Term Yoshi uses because he actually always air releases but if you mash when he instant pummels in the first frame of the grab you can Ground BReak out of his grab.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
ADI is stupid and should be dropped. Make sure to keep a note of that in the Drift section that it is sometime confused as ADI and should be corrected as Drifting. It shouldn't have it's own section in the DI section.

Ledgesnaps come from teetering position first of all. So from there the drifting ledgesnap is simply holding away from the stage than towards it, not making a full half-circle. Characters like Sonic or Snake can't do that technique and must do Half-circle ledgesnap.

The Hurtbox definition should be appended with: It usually refers to the part of a character that can be hit like their body, rather than a sword.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Alright guys, I want everyone to read one well written guide anywhere on SWF (usually something like a character guide and find the stuff that the newbie wouldn't understand and make a list and post it here (unless we already have the def. up wand what not.)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
gimp
combo
string
traction
hill-related traction
blastzone
stage spike
match-up
absorb (Lucas+Ness)
reflect
projectile
priority
jab-lock
destructable ground hitbox extension?
stutter-step
reverse stutter-step
jab cancel

I did a quick skim of the Lucas guide and these words popped out to me; sorry if we already had them defined.

I'll hop on it tomorrow, can't be bothered to do so at 10:30 on a phone.
Got grounded from the comp for leaving a bowl of sliced melon on the desk olol:urg:

Also, I for one kinda wanted to keep the ADI thing for completion, but I guess when the list is structured for release, if drifting comes before the DI section, it can work.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ground Break = A Term Yoshi uses because he actually always air releases but if you mash when he instant pummels in the first frame of the grab you can Ground BReak out of his grab.
Why/when did that become specific to Yoshi? Last time I checked, it's more universal on the premises that any character that grabs another character whose feet do not touch the ground will always air-release unless the grabber pummels the victim in the time the victim would normally jump-release.

It just so happens that every opponent is in side Yoshi's mouth when he gets a grab on anybody so of course their feet won't be touching the floor.

Ledgesnaps come from teetering position first of all. So from there the drifting ledgesnap is simply holding away from the stage than towards it, not making a full half-circle. Characters like Sonic or Snake can't do that technique and must do Half-circle ledgesnap.
I always thought of this as ledgehogging, and ledgesnap being the term used to sweetspot the ledge with a recovery, like Marth grabbing the Ledge with Dolphin Slash at the apex. Characters like Ike, Kirby, Sonic, and Snake can't really do this since the apex of their "recovery moves" are capable of passing through the ledge at any given height.

I also manage to do the "ledgehog" with Sonic by just casually drifting offstage, then fastfalling, and then taking the D-Pad off the 6 o' clock position. Your character won't snap to the ledge if you're holding down on the D-Pad, and it's that same mechanic that allows me to wall-jump off the ledge of FD if I place myself properly.

*Words.*

*Suggestion.*
Don't even get me started on Sonic's "alphabet soup." I rather let individual Researchers define Character-Specific terms (in guides or individual threads, get it up somewhere) and leave the universal terms/advanced techniques in another place with the collaberation of many/all Researchers. Sonic is afterall the only one who can "shield-cancel" the aerial variant of his Spin Dash "roll," which was a term coined a long, long time ago. If Lucas somehow manages to find a way to Shield-cancel his FTilt, I'd call it "Shield-Canceled FTilt," but until then "Shield-cancel" is not something you see in every sub-forum/character board.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's not about the specific terms in there, it's about what kind of terms you'd have to know to understand it (it can also be something like a MU guide).

And what you're doing with Sonic is the Half-Circle Ledgesnap

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh.

That should either be covered another time, or now that things are getting done now, it couldn't hurt to go over something like this:

Matchup - Defines the ratio of one character winning or losing against another character. Usually out of 100, or word-specific such as "neutral, advantage/disavantage, and slight/heavy dis/advantages."

Kind of rugged, but hopefully it gets the point across.

Err, wait. What?

Is there any other way to go about it?

Anymore inputs seems redundant/something different altogether.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Matchup is pretty biased so it doesn't really have to be a good definition.

How about:
Match-Up [Universal] - A review of a how an ideal match of top level players between two characters should play out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Err, wait. What?

Is there any other way to go about it?

Anymore inputs seems redundant/something different altogether.

Forget me not. ;_;

I am really not aware of how any other character would do it, if they can/if there's any different input for the same thing, yada yada yada.

Also, that was just an example/quick sketch. If you wanted/needed me to do those terms right here right now, I can.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Indigo, do you want to come further here or would you allow me to take ownership of this thread? o: (or make an entirely new one)
I want to finish that project soon.
We're so slooooow~

Okay, I want to say I'm sorry for letting this go dead again for such a long time. But now that we're this close to completion, I'm not going to let it happen again. This time I'm going to persevere till the end.

In light of that, I did a reading of the ROB guide too, and here's what I got-

Wall of Pain
Blastzone/Blastlines
Damageable stage element/damaging stage element
Blindspot
stale
fresh
frame data
IASA
hitbox out/in
gimp
disjoint
Super Robo Burner
Wobble (ROB's gyro)
Lock
Ground/Air game
Starter/Counterpick/Banned stages

Should we get defining?

Meh, I guess I'll start. In no particular order-

Gimp [universal] - An action or series of actions that results in the usually offstage KO of a player. Gimps are not necessarily performed only by other characters; stage elements may gimp a player as well.

Wall of Pain [certain characters] - A string of continuous, connecting aerial attacks. Examples of this are Donkey Kong and Jigglypuff's Back-Aerial Walls of Pain.

Blastlines [Universal] - set boundaries around a stage which will KO a character that goes past them. All stages have blastlines of different distances from the center of the stage, and while the most familiar blastlines are around island stages, that is not always the case. Blastlines can be under water and may also be connected to a stage through terrestrial means. Blastlines are usually static, but they can be dynamic as well, such as in transforming stages. A stage can have a maximum of four blastlines at any given transformation. The area past blastlines is referred to as the blast zone. Because there can only be a maximum of four blastlines, the net blast zone of all stages is a quadrilateral.
---Walk-off [certain stages] - The term used to refer to the property of a stage where a blastline may be reached by terrestrial movement.

Disjoint [certain moves] - The property of a move where if the hurtbox connected with the move of character A is hit by hitbox B, the character will suffer no ill effects.

Traction [universal] - the property of a character that determines to what extent an opposing force or natural decay affects their grounded momentum.

Staling, Stale [Universal] - a mechanism in the game that weakens an attack by a set amount each time it is executed consecutively, until a certain point. "Staling", as a verb or noun, is not used very often, but "stale" as an adjective is used frequently. An attack that has been affected by staling usually has "stale" appended to the beginning of its name. Example: "Stale back-aerial."

Fresh, refresh [universal] - Used to describe an attack that has not yet been affected by staling. "To refresh" is the term used to describe the staling of one move to refresh others.

Blindspot [idk] - the area near a character from where they are vulnerable due to lacking a move that will cover them from there. A character may have more than one blindpsot Blindspots may be dynamic, depending on the context in which the term is being used, but it is usually used to refer to a character's blindspots in a "normal" situation.

Frame [universal] - the basic unit of time in Brawl. One frame is equal to about ¹/₆₀ᵗʰ of a second.

Brawl Distance Unit (BDU) [Universal] - the basic unit of distance in Brawl. One Brawl Distance Unit is equal to about ¹/₂₀ᵗʰ of a Stage Builder block.

Hitbox Out/In (Hitbox End) [Universal] - The terms used in reference to the frame a hitbox is created and the frame a hitbox is destroyed, respectively. This data is a staple in frame data.

Combo [Certain Characters] - a series of actions that result in the opponent being affected by hitboxes consecutively. For a series of actions to be a true combo, it must be inescapable, meaning that, frame-wise, the one being combo-ed has no chance of escape if it is executed correctly. Brawl has nearly no combos, due to its characteristic lack of attacker-advantage hitstun. Combos that loop or can be made to loop for extended periods of time are called Locks.
---Zero-Death (0-Death) [Certain Characters] - a combo that can be made to end with the opponent being KO-ed.

String [Certain characters] - a series of actions that result in the opponent being affected by hitboxes consecutively. A series of actions is a string if it is escapable by any means frame-wise.

Lock [Certain Characters] - The term used in reference to a series of actions that create an inescapable, or very difficult to escape from, string or combo. "Lock" is usually appended after a move's name to describe the lock, and if the lock consists of more than one move, it is added to the dominant move's name. Example: "Down-Tilt Lock." Locks loop for a very long time, or even indefinitely.

Frame Data [Universal] - Information that describes actions in terms of frames. Examples: How long a hitbox lasts, how many frames it take for an animation to loop, on what frame an action can be inputted for a specific result to occur, etc.

---

Ugh, this was done quickly and messily because I have errands I need to run. Look over this and tell me what you think, like last time. I finish once I'm done with my duties.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Gimp [universal] - An action or series of actions that results in the usually offstage KO of a player. Gimps are not necessarily performed only by other characters; stage elements may gimp a player as well.
Badly written definition; any KO is an "offstage" KO. I was under the impression that a gimp is more like "an action(s) or event that KOs an opponent at a far lower percentage than expected, such as semi-spikes or recovery interruptions".
Blastlines
I'm used to seeing this as "blast lines" (with a space). Then again I'm on SmashWiki more than here.
Walk-off [certain stages] - The term used to refer to the property of a stage where a blastline may be reached by terrestrial movement.
Something like "A term used to refer to stages or parts of stages where a stationary platform crosses a side blast line and thus KOs characters that, for example, walk too far along it." would be easier to understand.
Disjoint [certain moves] - The property of a move where if the hurtbox connected with the move of character A is hit by hitbox B, the character will suffer no ill effects.
This doesn't seem to be the right definition. It's saying "okay, you can hit me in the arm while I'm punching, but I won't feel it". That's more like the arm being intangible than the attack being disjointed. I think it should be saying "okay, you can try to hit me in the arm, but my hitbox is so big you need an equally-big hitbox or intangibility to do so".

Yikarur

Smash Master
Blast lines sounds so awful, since when are we using blast lines? I've never heard that, it's always refered a "Blastzones"

Toomai

Smash Ace
I don't see why we can't have both. Some people only call it one thing, others only call it the other. The terms are similar enough there won't be any confusion.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I've seen them both. Blastline = line past which you'll die. Blastzone = zone in which you'll die.

Ex: launched past the blastline vs. launched into the blastzone.

*shrug* I like blastzone better tho.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Search stats:

"Blast line": 458 topics (31.7%)
"Blastline": 126 topics (8.7%)
"Blast zone": 417 topics (28.6%)
"Blastzone": 445 topics (30.8%)

While "zone" is more popular in general, "line" still has a 40% share of the population.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Is there a term to describe when a hitbox duration is extended? The most notable example I can think of right now is using Ike's fully charged Eruption on the Castle Siege statues on the second transformation.

Badly written definition; any KO is an "offstage" KO. I was under the impression that a gimp is more like "an action(s) or event that KOs an opponent at a far lower percentage than expected, such as semi-spikes or recovery interruptions".

Yeah, this is true. I'm leaning towards your definition.

I'm used to seeing this as "blast lines" (with a space). Then again I'm on SmashWiki more than here.

Idk, I have a tendency to stick words together in smashtalk, but blast lines looks more formal.

Something like "A term used to refer to stages or parts of stages where a stationary platform crosses a side blast line and thus KOs characters that, for example, walk too far along it." would be easier to understand.

True.

This doesn't seem to be the right definition. It's saying "okay, you can hit me in the arm while I'm punching, but I won't feel it". That's more like the arm being intangible than the attack being disjointed. I think it should be saying "okay, you can try to hit me in the arm, but my hitbox is so big you need an equally-big hitbox or intangibility to do so".

Now on this one, I'm not too sure about this though. I always thought it just meant that during the attack, whatever bone it was didn't pass on ill effects to the character.
Replies in bold.

Search stats:

"Blast line": 458 topics (31.7%)
"Blastline": 126 topics (8.7%)
"Blast zone": 417 topics (28.6%)
"Blastzone": 445 topics (30.8%)

While "zone" is more popular in general, "line" still has a 40% share of the population.
This... I was going to do this, but you now... Thanks though. In light of the info, however, I'm all for instead defining "blast zone" and mentioning blast lines, seeing as blast zone is used slightly more.

Also guys, I still can't shake off my doubt that the ROB boards planted in me concerning ASDI. I'm going to chat more with the brawl boards in general and come back here with my results, because I don't want us looking like fools if ASDI turns out to not legitimately exist in Brawl.

Yikarur

Smash Master
of course ASDI does exist. I already proved that and was actually going to do a write out but I didn't have time for a long time ~.~

Okay Yika, I trust you, but I'd like if you did do a write up about it, or at least tell me how to conclusively test for it myself to ease my anxieties, so that we and the rest of the ASDI-doubters can be on the same page.

Yikarur

Smash Master
okay to see ASDI yourself use frame advance and get hit once and hold a direction, on the first frame of knockback you will warp in that direction, that is called "ASDI" because it does happen automatically aka you ASDI always if you DI. (it was more special in melee because you could ASDI with the C-Stick while normal DIing with the Controlstick)
You can ASDI Multihit moves with this (hold in one direction while getting hit).
If you get daired by Yoshi you can hold up and SDI automatically upwards, I think ASDI is also effected by the modifiers for SDI.

now the important thing, you probably know that you can't SDI down if you are on the ground.
So because ASDI is on the first frame of knockback you can crash into the floor with it unlike normal SDI.
if you get hit in the air close to the ground and you are as close to the ground as possible you can DI down and crash into the floor due ASDI.

important for that is that the first frame of knockback and the ASDI distance contradict each other.
if ASDI Distance > first frame of knockback Distance and you are as close to the ground as possible but being hit in air(with SDI as example) you crash into the floor.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Now on this one, I'm not too sure about this though. I always thought it just meant that during the attack, whatever bone it was didn't pass on ill effects to the character.
Well, it kind of depends. Most moves that people say are disjointed are things like swords and hammers and Snake's u-tilt, and they obviously fit any sensible definition of "disjointed". But then you have attacks like Bowser's tilts, where the hitboxes are attached to his arms and don't have that much range, but those arms are intangible while the hitboxes are out. Is an attack disjointed just because a character's body part is temporarily nonexistant? My opinion is no.

Yikarur

Smash Master
disjointness describes a hitbox that isn't part of the hurtbox.
if the hands of Bowser are intangible while doing uptilt then the uptilt is disjointed in some way.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Have we found a concrete definition for "frame trap"? I see a potential misuse often when people call a frame trap "a move or series of moves that cover several options of the opponent in a given circumstance (like "catching landings" even if the opponent air dodges). Is there a better word for this, because iirc this isn't really a "frame trap".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom