• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm starting hate being a TO.
Nobody complains, they just don't go and don't say if it is because of the scehdule, the venue, the prices, the rules, or anything.
I even feel they just don't like me....

That's what I thought too, that's it's just because it's not played often. Virtually all the elements of the stage are present on other legal stages.
And adding onto this, it's not like all the elements combined are too much for competitive Brawl either. The water is always present, but everything else is about as frequent as a PS1/PS2 transformation. The transformations themselves aren't even a big deal either.

Competitively awkward didn't stop Frigate, Halberd, or Delfino from being legal, I don't see why Pirate Ship should be an exception to this.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I didn't say I got wrecked by him ;)

We're close to even if I use MK; he beats my Puff though... However, I haven't tried a campier style against him, and I'll probably be using ROB next tourney so we'll see how that goes aha
Does he still use ZSS? She might be hard to camp with ROB.

Twinkie- They also said the hazards are too powerful. But I agree with you that the stage being legalized.

:phone:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You could always ask.
I would not want to look as an annoyance for them...

Competitively awkward didn't stop Frigate, Halberd, or Delfino from being legal, I don't see why Pirate Ship should be an exception to this.
Competitively awkward never stopped them, scrubs ranting did.

Does he still use ZSS? She might be hard to camp with ROB.

Twinkie- They also said the hazards are too powerful. But I agree with you that the stage being legalized.

I feel like testing how strong the bombs are in comparison to Halberd's bombs.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I feel like testing how strong the bombs are in comparison to Halberd's bombs.
Halberd has bombs? I'm guessing you just mean the hazards.

Grim Tuesday, it appears you have a 'grim' view of the Australian stage mentality.

T-block

B2B TST
from memory, so this might not be completely accurate:

the pirate ship bombs have two hitboxes. a "direct" hit has high knockback and will kill at mid-high percents, doing ~50%. a weaker hit has decent knockback, but has low knockback growth, so it likely won't kill even at very high percents. that hit does 30%.

halberd's bomb in terms of knockback is in between the two hits, and it does much less damage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Just played some Balanced Brawl. I almost forgot how fun is Ganondorf there.
imo, ZSS is top tier material as her paralizer stuns opponents a little more and has an useful Fsmash; so is Wolf because of his godlike mobility.
DDD would need some rework if projec hadn't died a long while ago, I hate relying on techchases...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
T- Block that's interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can only take a direct hit if you're grounded (or in the water) because they don't explode in the air.

T-block

B2B TST
T- Block that's interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can only take a direct hit if you're grounded (or in the water) because they don't explode in the air.

i don't think there's a need to be grounded (not in the way charizard's d-smash only hits grounded opponents anyways)

pretty sure you can still be hit by the strong hit if you're in the air, as long as you're close enough to the point of impact

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How big is the sweetspot then? Surely you'd have to be pretty close to the ground.

Also, seeing as bombs always explode on the ground or water, will they target chars in the air?

I just sat around Pirate Ship with Jigglypuff and Bowser.

Apparently the splash damage hitbox on the bombs do 35%. Getting hit directly deals 55%.

If you get hit by a direct hit at around 50%, you're pretty much dead no matter where or who you are. If you get hit with by the splash damage hitbox only, you should not be dying at all.

To compare, the bomb on Halberd does 20% (claw does 10% and a full laser does 43%).
Bowser got hit by a bomb at around 120% and didn't get close to dying.

I guess the hazard in Pirate Ship IS pretty strong lol.

--

They won't target the air. They'll always target a surface and cause a collision/explosion either with the water, the boats, or the platforms. The splash damage hitbox is pretty big, but it doesn't have much knockback at all. You should only be worried if you're very near to the blastline.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
To be near the blast line you'd have to be in the water. If you're in the water at high percents you're in a bad position to begin with.

Twinkie do you know how big the the sweetspot hitbox is? Do you have to get hit by the actual bomb or is there a certain blast radius?

I'd say the sweetspot is the bomb itself. I'd have to get hit by the bomb a few more times though (it takes time).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm pretty sure the sweetspot is just the bomb too. Tink can avoid the sweetspot by short hopping, so whilst the opponent doesn't techincally need to be grounded to be sweetspotted, they still have to be pretty close.

Also, in all of the bomb phases I endured, only one bomb of the 4-5 was aimed directly at a character.

Not aimed the same way each time, that's for sure.

I think it would be interesting to find some sort of distribution pattern, like a, "3 in the water, 2 on the boat each time" sort of thing.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If you guys don't know, it's Ganondorf's best stage.

One of the (many, MANY) gimmicks he has there involves planking the left edge and flamechoking someone through the bow, and into the bottom of the boat. They get spiked, he lives.

Ivysaur has a forbidden technique as well. Use up-B from the maximum distance on the left side of the boat. Just do it.

(Pirate Ship is my favourite stage period and I would legit play again if it became legal)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That Ivy technique breaks the game big times...

Also, I believe Norfair was Ganondorf's best stage?
It is obvious why he'd like Pirate Ship, though.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
During the transition into the boulder phase if you run into the wedge where the ship and the rock meet (before it has fully completed the transition) you'll take a little bit of damage and hitstun.

On the boulder phase, Tink's dair is virtually unpunishable at the top of the ship because he slides all the way down.

The water defuses Tink's bombs, but not his boomerang.

You can't drop through the bow at the front of the ship but you can go through it from below.

If hanging from the bow's edge, many characters can wall jump off the ship through the bow and land on the stage.

That's all I got (other than my bomb stuff). Not that impressive I know.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That could happen on any "fighting" game including characters with a decent projectile game (I've seen it countless times in SF and KOF, and more rarely on Blazblue, Skullgirls, and even Melee).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
SF, KoF, and other traditional fighting games do not have matches that drag on for 8 minutes.

Top Bottom