• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Radium88

Smash Lord
Anybody want to go to Ohio with me Jan 27-29?? Partying with Y.b.M. and Infern and other Ohio ppl for their last weekend in Ohio. Planning on going to Ohayocon (anime convention) on Saturday tho and entry is $55 :\

What is HD? if they are those tournaments you hosted back in 2010 (not sure when) then I still lived in Cincinnati. I live in Lexington KY now and ST Louis is more of a straight shot out.

Just know that if you build it, they will come.
Yeah, it was back in 2010. Well maybe but really don't have the heart to do it anymore.

I liked the HD tourneys, they were about the biggest tourneys I could go to without having to leave MO
:D thanks

Tmacc

Smash Lord
anybody want to go to ohio with me jan 27-29?? Partying with y.b.m. And infern and other ohio ppl for their last weekend in ohio. Planning on going to ohayocon (anime convention) on saturday tho and entry is $55 :\
maybeeeeeeeeee

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Yeah, Rauleen did a great job with the HD series. Mostly though I attribute the numbers to her doing the Kirby dance in front of the venue, it was quality advertising! lawlthatdidn'thappenjaykay

Anyway STL Brawl isn't what I'd call "dead", I would still go to a local tournament and I think most of us would as well. But like Rauleen said, I just really don't have my heart in it anymore since it's better for me to focus on other games. I still like Brawl and love you guys though, and a tourney every now and then would be great and I'd definitely be down for some Ogres or something if we would want to set that up at some point.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
All I hear is that there's still a little life in the scene and if there was a tournament, y'all would come as well as some other states maybe.

<---has an agenda now.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Hmm, if Nebraska is in state, no excuse for you guys who say you will go to in state tournaments to not come to the next Nebraska tournament.

Radium88

Smash Lord
All I hear is that there's still a little life in the scene and if there was a tournament, y'all would come as well as some other states maybe.

<---has an agenda now.
Are you semi back in StL?? I figured you were still in Tejas.

Yeah, Rauleen did a great job with the HD series. Mostly though I attribute the numbers to her doing the Kirby dance in front of the venue, it was quality advertising! lawlthatdidn'thappenjaykay

Anyway STL Brawl isn't what I'd call "dead", I would still go to a local tournament and I think most of us would as well. But like Rauleen said, I just really don't have my heart in it anymore since it's better for me to focus on other games. I still like Brawl and love you guys though, and a tourney every now and then would be great and I'd definitely be down for some Ogres or something if we would want to set that up at some point.
Lol thx, but I just ignited it. I'm pretty sure everybody advertised it plus you made awesome sig banners (and if I do one, I'll probably ask for your help again :3) and you helped out with the projector, David and Jordan helped out with seeding and writing out pools.

Rauleen a one day pass is less than $55
Awesome sauce! I thought that was a one day pass but I guess that's a 3-day one. I was thinking at work it seemed high bec even Acen wasn't that much for one day.

Hmm, if Nebraska is in state, no excuse for you guys who say you will go to in state tournaments to not come to the next Nebraska tournament.
I haven't been to NE...maybe but I don't like driving anymore...

I have been considering doing another tournament but I want to find a free venue so that I can use it as a fundraising tournament. Also, prooooobbaaabbblllyy not a MK ban tournament. Sorry for those who are proban :awesome: As much as I don't like him, I don't think he needs to be banned.

Binyan: I thought Bert and someone else...Strongbad? were going to start HD melee? They asked if they could use "HD"

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm moving this summer, but I have one last tournament planned. I'll be speaking to Blake about it soon.
Well, I would prefer to keep him illegal, but we have some..out of country interest in this tournament, so I think it's perhaps a little better to make him legal?
Also, that is going to be a part of the KS/IA/MO circuit, right?

If so, you can't really BAN MK when 3 of the top 9 players (m2k, Domo, clel) are all MK mains and MJG and a few others on that list ALT MK. Banning MK would be the most unethical thing ever.

When Nebraska has the circuit event, MK will be legal. After that, we'll see what happens, but the next tournament that I will be hosting MK will be legal as well.
Kirby characters gonna get banned tho

If we had a KI tournament I would love that.
You people can't accept change.... STOP CATERING TO TOP PLAYERS!! Who cares if they won't be at your tournament. Joker had Ally came without any incentives. "Oh, we have to keep MK around because I want M2K or any other top player at my tournament." That's not even a guarantee that they would show up. You guys actually like to see results with :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:? With this day and age with the new rules, if you have MK at your tournament, I feel like you would lose attendance. For the people that abide to the new rules, I respect you because now you can work on a whole lot of other match-ups rather than pondering all the time, "How can I beat MK without playing MK himself?" Stay free America.
All that I'm saying is that if you have an established rules set for a circuit, you either have to

A. Stop the circuit and payout the winners now and start a new circuit with MK banned.
or
B. Keep MK legal until the circuit is over.

It isn't like banning a stage, banning an entire character completely changes everything. Not even for M2K, what about Domo and Clel, kansas guys.
I didn't even know a Circuit is going on right now, but why not change the rules? The players that use MK wouldn't just come then. Its their fault they don't know how to use other characters when they knew of this ban a long time ago.
Well, the reason you can't do that (in an ethical sense) is that the people who place in the top 8 get paid extra money, called the "Circuit Bonus". If you get rid of the character that they use, and they are currently at the top, that is completely unfair for them and is basically just screwing them out of money.

I'm fine with MK banned/legal tournaments, I will attend either. I might even do Kirby banned tournaments where you can't play as Kirby/MK/D3. That sounds way more fair than just banning 1 character when dedede is obviously the most broken character in the game. :p
So you're saying TO's would do the same for you and me? The only reason people wouldn't do it is they are afraid of "pros" would get mad at them and they would fix it because they are "top players." Pretty messed up if you asked me for the people who don't have the power to influence Tournament Organizers.
^You're straw manning here. It may be gay to cater excessively to top players to get them to come, but that's not what Rob is saying at all. He's saying it's not fair to LOCAL players who did well in a circuit if you take away their character because it makes them less likely to win the circuit, even if they were winning before. You can't just say they should have learned a new character when the ban was announced. First off, they aren't going to be as good with a character they've played for just a few months as opposed to one they've maybe played for years. Second, there was no reason to learn new characters for the circuit because initially there was no indication that MK would be banned.
I agree and if I run another circuit event, it would be MK legal to honor my obligations to consistent rules throughout the circuit.

tldr; Radium, if you are throwing a circuit event, you can't really ban MK anyway because banning a character midway through the circuit is unethical.

MJG

Smash Hero
If you are running a tournament for the circuit, the tournament has to be "MK legal". This has already been stated by the person running the circuit. Any MK banned tournaments will not be apart of the MWW Circuit.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Rob my tournament isn't circuit related at all. -_- Did I mention that somewhere? I don't think I did.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Depending on who is going, who is driving, how long we'd be staying, and my money situation, I'd want to go.

It's unlikely though I suppose.

Cook

Smash Master
I'm going, I'm driving, we'd either come back Saturday night or Sunday morning (probably the first), and you'll have infinite money!

Cook

Smash Master
Idk. Like $25, maybe? But you'll have to drive to Columbia on your own! If you come, though, I'll give you a deal on gas! Maybe I'll see if TP wants to go, too, since he lives in Columbia now.

Cook

Smash Master
Well, Lux's is the 28th, and Joker's is the 4th. I'm going to both, so you can go to whichever one is not on your pal's birthday!

Radium88

Smash Lord
tldr; Radium, if you are throwing a circuit event, you can't really ban MK anyway because banning a character midway through the circuit is unethical.
Ah, well I wasn't planning on being part of the circuit. I didn't even think there was one. I want to have an MK legal tournament bec I wasn't really pro-ban and being at APEX reinstated that.

Anyone feel like going to Joker's on Feb. 4???
*raises hand* I don't think I'm going/doing anything that weekend especially since I quit Gamestop so I have a M-F 8-4 job now. But I deeeffiinntteelllyy do not want to drive to IA. I has gas money and that's all I want to offer.

Depending on who is going, who is driving, how long we'd be staying, and my money situation, I'd want to go.

It's unlikely though I suppose.
You can ride with me to CoMO if you wants. I don't know Jordan's plans. (Todd: this applies to you too if you decide to go)

@ Will: I love the "Pit" scene XD

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@Radium, If gas for the trip gets cheaper (because we'll have a full car) then I might actually be able to go :D. It'd be nice to see all of you and your ugly mugs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will go if I dont have too much schoolwork/work.

Osric

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys. I'm interested in going to either of these, but one of you will have to be a saint to get me there.

I'm at SLU without a car and I left my controller at home (not really thinking I would get to play this semester). So I would need to carpool and to borrow a controller.

I may also have some unexpected amount of **** to do that weekend for school, but I can probably work around that.

In exchange I can give you my eternal gratitude. And probably some gas money.

Anyway, totally get it if that's too much to ask, but thought I would throw it out there.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey, guys. I'm interested in going to either of these, but one of you will have to be a saint to get me there.

I'm at SLU without a car and I left my controller at home (not really thinking I would get to play this semester). So I would need to carpool and to borrow a controller.

I may also have some unexpected amount of **** to do that weekend for school, but I can probably work around that.

In exchange I can give you my eternal gratitude. And probably some gas money.

Anyway, totally get it if that's too much to ask, but thought I would throw it out there.
That's not really too much to ask, the only problem is we might have a full car. If we don't we can probably grab you.

Cook

Smash Master
Well, it will be me, then possibly Rauleen, Hylian, Tmacc, and Jowii. That's the maxI can fit. So if one of the possibles doesn't go, we should be able to fit you.

Radium88

Smash Lord
Well, it will be me, then possibly Rauleen, Hylian, Tmacc, and Jowii. That's the maxI can fit. So if one of the possibles doesn't go, we should be able to fit you.
We can use my car if need be.....I just don't want to drive.....

What is this...I don't even...and to hell he doesn't! (No judging or anything but come on, look at what some of the dolls are wearing)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
We can use my car if need be.....I just don't want to drive.....

What is this...I don't even...and to hell he doesn't! (No judging or anything but come on, look at what some of the dolls are wearing)
David wtf lol

And turns out I may be able to go now :D :D

Also, Will, I love that video. I laughed at it so hard earlier today when someone posted it...

Top Bottom