• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Lixivium

Smash Champion
All I know is that MLG Melee had some of the most amazing sets of all time (Ken vs. PC, PC vs. KoreanDJ, Ken vs. Azen, etc.) I just hope MLG Brawl matches can live up to the hype instead of being plank/scroogefests.

TP

Smash Master
MLG's ruleset should be out soon. I REALLY hope there is a solid and strict anti-stalling rule in place. Something along the lines of "If it becomes clear that you are attempting to use timing out the opponent as your primary form of winning, GTFO."

alt-F4

Smash Ace
Kyle will always be watching over us, intervening when he sees fit. He's like God, if God were from Kentucky and loved fried shrimp.
does that make steak n shake heaven... or is it uncle bill's... or IHOP... maybe they are all different manifestations of Kyle's benevolent will.

Lead me to the green pastures oh great lord.... or industrial lighted pancake/burger establishment, whichever you see fit.

Nuris

Smash Lord
Yeah... I mean, I respect people who do that if that's their thing. You know, stalling and all is just another strategy and way to win. However, I have to agree with TP because if good players decide to stall to win matches, Brawl is going to get old and boring way too fast, particularly from a spectators point of view. And with the publicity from MLG and the national tournaments they'll be hosting, spectators MATTER.

TP

Smash Master
I can't go to No Koast. :( I'm going to be getting a summer internship that day.

Which will stop me from going to other things later.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
MLG's ruleset should be out soon. I REALLY hope there is a solid and strict anti-stalling rule in place. Something along the lines of "If it becomes clear that you are attempting to use timing out the opponent as your primary form of winning, GTFO."
Unenforceable.

Watching brawl is even worse than playing brawl (which is pretty impressive).

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I love watching Brawl. Just because you don't like watching campy stuff doesn't mean others don't :p SF4 is campy and I love watching that.

Personally I hope that they don't put a bunch of stupid plank rules in that make us look like the scrubby community we are, lol.

Timing out is a legit strat in any game, if you're whining about it, you are probably bad.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I love watching Brawl. Just because you don't like watching campy stuff doesn't mean others don't :p SF4 is campy and I love watching that.

Personally I hope that they don't put a bunch of stupid plank rules in that make us look like the scrubby community we are, lol.

Timing out is a legit strat in any game, if you're whining about it, you are probably bad.
There's a difference between timing out a 1 minute match vs. an 8 minute match from the spectator's view.

I know timing out is a legit strategy. People time out football games, basketball games, etc., but nobody seriously enjoys watching those parts of games.

Bragging about how you enjoy watching paint dry is baffling.

MetalMusicMan

Bragging? lol. Anyway...

I enjoy watching people employ strategies and trying to counter those that their opponent tries to use. If it's timing out, you can counter it most of the time. I respect the test of will and patience that it takes to both play that way and combat it correctly.

Besides, generally if someone specifically tries to time people out for 8 minutes, it shouldn't be hard to get a lead on them and then maintain it so that they can't time you out. Also, once again, planking has yet to even be proven as a successful means of winning a tournament, so all of the hooplah over it "ruining MLG" is bull.

I'm also curious as to what the next SBR rule list will determine is the appropriate time for a match, and whether they will increase it or decrease it from what it is now.

There isn't really anything different about doing it in a 99 second match over an 8 minute match, except the duration of course. If you don't enjoy watching / playing it, then that's fine, but that doesn't imply that it is somehow "more broken" than other kinds of stalling out.

Again though I am interested to see if they shorten the timer in matches.

Cook

Smash Master
I agree with Lixi. Brawl may not stay on the Pro Circuit long if there aren't good rules against planking. Maybe Will likes to watch boring 8 minute matches that end with both players at two stocks, but MOST people don't. Most people like to see people FIGHT in fighting games. If people don't like watching the matches, though, then it may get taken off the Pro Circuit, because what MLG cares about is people entering tournaments AND spectators. Basketball and football have arbitrary time limits put in place to keep the game going because people get tired of watching otherwise. A video game that people are supposed to want to watch needs them, too.

Cook

Smash Master
Besides, generally if someone specifically tries to time people out for 8 minutes, it shouldn't be hard to get a lead on them and then maintain it so that they can't time you out.
Lolwut? You must be pretty good if you can always maintain the lead against anyone you play.

MetalMusicMan

Hi, I'm Cookie, all I ever do is complain about getting straw-manned, then I straw man the **** out of whoever I talk to. lol

I think it was pretty obvious that I was saying that when someone plays in a fashion meant to time you out, it's easier to get and maintain a lead. Because they're trying NOT to do anything. I wasn't saying that you just need to "be better than everyone who tries to time you out".

...but you already knew that, and just decided to make a stupid false argument as usual :p

In before you try to imply that you appeal to some kind of loftier set of standards and imply I am a douche for replying as I did to your "totally not douchey" douche statement above. lol

Anyway... I would be curious to see how Brawl would play out with 2 stocks and a shorter timer, personally.

Cook

Smash Master
I think it was pretty obvious that I was saying that when someone plays in a fashion meant to time you out, it's easier to get and maintain a lead. Because they're trying NOT to do anything. I wasn't saying that you just need to "be better than everyone who tries to time you out".
It is? So when all a person is trying to do is run away and only hit you when you make a mistake it's EASIER to hit them and maintain the lead? And that's not what I said you were saying... what I said was you ARE apparently better than everyone if you can usually maintain the lead whenever anyone planks you. LOLOLLO GET RALWAWLALAALPeD.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I think it was pretty obvious that I was saying that when someone plays in a fashion meant to time you out, it's easier to get and maintain a lead. Because they're trying NOT to do anything.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make it any easier fighting someone whose main objective is to time you out. Sure they may play campy but I wouldn't say they're "trying NOT to do anything " They obviously have the same goal as you do, gain the lead before they stall.

MetalMusicMan

Certain characters are hopeless against it, yeah. Most "good" or "decent" characters however have a very easy way to combat most stalling from the most common stall characters (projectiles, etc.). Planking might be a different story, but it's never been proven to be broken or even really successful against good players. Not once. If it ever was proven to be broken, it would only be for MK and no one else.

I still don't see how MK could ever plank Snake. Even pikachu. There's that dumb video of a bowser up-b'ing through Pika's neutral b, but the pikachu wasn't mixing anything up. Frame data doesn't really prove anything without it being proven in practice, which it never has been.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
My take: Smash Bros is a shallow franchise made for multiplayer silliness. By a number of happy accidents, Melee includes some interesting game mechanics that introduce a moderate learning curve. It's a bit frustrating at first, but once you get comfortable with the basics you can string some really cool stuff together. The back-and-forth that develops, in which the aggressor tries to anticipate his opponent's next move and the victim desperately tries to escape, is my favorite part of the game and the only reason I keep playing. I don't think N64 or Brawl have any of this tension and they are quite boring as a result. N64 feels really one-sided to me and Brawl lacks all of the speed and precision of SSBM. I really wish Brawl was a good game so we could all play together, but I just can't see why anyone would choose that sloppy mess of a game over Melee.

Done trolling.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
Jeremy, Binyan, Geno, and others that want to play can come to my house

I'm currently cooking so I can't go anywheres

Dart

Smash Lord
My take: Smash Bros is a shallow franchise made for multiplayer silliness. By a number of happy accidents, Melee includes some interesting game mechanics that introduce a moderate learning curve. It's a bit frustrating at first, but once you get comfortable with the basics you can string some really cool stuff together. The back-and-forth that develops, in which the aggressor tries to anticipate his opponent's next move and the victim desperately tries to escape, is my favorite part of the game and the only reason I keep playing. I don't think N64 or Brawl have any of this tension and they are quite boring as a result. N64 feels really one-sided to me and Brawl lacks all of the speed and precision of SSBM. I really wish Brawl was a good game so we could all play together, but I just can't see why anyone would choose that sloppy mess of a game over Melee.

Done trolling.
trolling or QFT? you be the judge. im for the latter of course.

Teh Future

Smash Master
so instead of talking about dumb things lets talk about this:

MetalMusicMan's pratice tourney!! results!!!:

1)Leg on (apply directly to the legs) :link2: :gw: :metaknight:

2)Futurewrester1 :yoshi2: :yoshi: :rob: :mario: :monkey: :metaknight: :023:

3)Kolby :025:

shoutouts:

god **** look at all those catacters Im so good

Also willloloolollollolol

Fun tourney I made dat bank 2:50 good chit to er body in da club wud *** again

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Last time I came to this thread the last post was the Fraggle Rock opening and theme song. This time it's jsut a bunch of posts by book hating brawl, by metal saying stalling is awesome to watch, and cook... okay so I still haven't figured out why cook is here. Talk about a downhill change.

HEY ST. LOUIS STOP SUCKING AT SMASHBOARDS.

I'm putting Legan in charge, sheesh.

MetalMusicMan

lol why did i do so bad at that tournament? man that whole week was ****ed up for me. i killed myself like 4 times at 0%, lmfao. oh well. :p

yeah we should do them more often like old times though. maybe i'll start recording and uploading videos again.

Nuris

Smash Lord
N64 is ****ing amazing. You're just not thinking on an overall metagame level.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
this post kept getting longer...

All I know is that MLG Melee had some of the most amazing sets of all time (Ken vs. PC, PC vs. KoreanDJ, Ken vs. Azen, etc.) I just hope MLG Brawl matches can live up to the hype instead of being plank/scroogefests.
Ken vs. KoreanDJ, MLG Vegas 2006, game 5 (Yoshi's Story)

I remember watching that live and how amazing it was. (I really did want Ken to win though :ohwell: KDJ is one of the most underrated smashers ever)

I think it's inevitable that some of the moments wills be hyped, at least for those interested in Brawl, regardless of how the game may be viewed as a whole by other people. (VC7 videos were surprisingly good)

Unenforceable.

Watching brawl is even worse than playing brawl (which is pretty impressive).
:\ multi-quoting was an awful idea, but what I was trying to get at was: it's not entirely unenforceable... (a. : there's a clear line between trying to ledge camp all day & using the ledge to burn their invincibility frames from a spawn or re-position/look for an opening for a short period, even intermittently; b. : continue readin' ) ...because if you're willing to put your tournament placing on the line for a judgment call from a ref, it's your choice to do so at some point during the match. Even if you get the better end of the deal many times, if you're willing to go 50-50 for a game's result, that means you're willing to risk potentially being DQ'd (worst case), while delaying the tournament.

When you reach the point that your play interferes with the TO's schedule, who is putting their time & effort (and probably cash) into hosting an event that they hope will be as enjoyable for you as it will be for any other player, (typically, to potentially end in a position where they can do so again in the future for the community) they reserve the right to form a set of rules that can benefit their schedule in some way, if such a case may arise. By entering a tournament, you agree to the terms and conditions set in the rules (time limit, stages, number of stock, whether or not you should end your infinite before 300%, etc), but you are not forced to enter the tournament in the first place (especially when you have access to the established rules prior to the date of).

tl;dr version: If you put somebody who's running a tournament in a position where they have to make a call based on the situation, you have put yourself at risk. A risk you have agreed to take, by entering. If the TO is willing to enforce their rules after you've agreed to them (it is their DUTY to uphold the rules every paying entrant agreed to), and they rule against you, too bad. It should have been obvious that the scenario could play out if a rule has been created concerning the possible situation beforehand (even over "stalling" or "planking", ambiguous as it can be).

example (showing why you create rules, so you can enforce them later if necessary):

MLG Orlando 2009 Winner's Semifinals Game 4 Triggers Down vs. Classic

(Prior to this event, dating back to at least 2005, there has been a rule in place that details what should happen in the event of a power failure in a gaming console. It states that "In the case of an Xbox 360/TV malfunction, the Game will be restarted from the beginning unless a Team was winning a Team King or Team Oddball Game by more than the time remaining in the Game.")

In this game (capture the flag), it was tied 4-4 (sudden death overtime) and while running the flag to score, an Xbox malfunctioned. The (Triggers Down) flag runner had been only a few seconds away from scoring (and winning the series), but as a result of the rule, the game had to be restarted. In the end, Classic won the restarted game & the 5th game to win the overall series. As a result of following their own rules, they made a lot of people angry who claimed that "it was pretty much captured" (etc) and created frustration among fans who had access to the rule for years (essentially the same rule, changed from "TV/Xbox" -> "TV/Xbox360"). Now, this was the correct decision, as it was previously stated in the rules that all of the teams had agreed to, with the assumption that they would be applied properly in the result of a problem. In fact, by avoiding this rule (and award the "almost guaranteed" win to Triggers Down), it would have (unfairly) penalized Classic. (I don't think any entrant would be pleased to find that they were screwed because the rules were ignored to make an exception for a team/player) When deciding to enter the tournament, they(both teams) agreed that if such a situation would arise (as unlikely as it was), they would allow the rules to be applied, regardless of the results (in their favor or against 'em).

early morning posts always get soooo long :\

Top Bottom