• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
Charleston IL

probly 2.5 hours from you at most

all day (and night maybs?) smashfest. 5 dollar tourney startin at noon

also sudden death or 1 stock match will neither work

can you imagine being camped out if theres like a 100% difference and you have to go to sudden death? Also if its a 1 stock match, how does that change anything other than screw over the advantage the player with the lower percent had built up over the course of the match? whats to stop him from just camping you again? whats the time limit on the new 1 stock matches?

ITS JUST ALL SO BADDDDDDD

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
also sudden death or 1 stock match will neither work

can you imagine being camped out if theres like a 100% difference and you have to go to sudden death? Also if its a 1 stock match, how does that change anything other than screw over the advantage the player with the lower percent had built up over the course of the match? whats to stop him from just camping you again?

ITS JUST ALL SO BADDDDDDD
Gonna have to agree with you there.

whats the time limit on the new 1 stock matches?
There's no rule on it, it's not official, it's just people talking randomly.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
best way to solve the camping problem:

If timeout occurs with stocks tied in winners bracket the winner is determined by coin flip.

If timeout occurs with stocks tied in losers bracket both entrants lose.

This would discourage stalling/camping and speed up tourneys.
For some reason I find this idea very appealing.

Except you're going to have people intentionally stalling big name players just to screw them over.

Then again, if camping is a legit, beatable strategy this shouldn't be a problem right?

TP

Smash Master

If timeout occurs with stocks tied in winners bracket the winner is determined by coin flip.

I like this, except someone in winner's who is clearly gonna lose the match (like down a stock with 2 minutes left) can just run away to give themselves a 50/50 shot. I'd say that a coin flip determines who gets the "win" but then that "winner" immediately forfeits their next round. Also, raise the timer to 10 minutes.

chewyy

Smash Ace

I didn't even take this seriously. How can you have BOTH players losing AND a different outcome depending on your location in the bracket?? That doesn't even make sense??

For some reason I find this idea very appealing.

Except you're going to have people intentionally stalling big name players just to screw them over.

Then again, if camping is a legit, beatable strategy this shouldn't be a problem right?
I like this, except someone in winner's who is clearly gonna lose the match (like down a stock with 2 minutes left) can just run away to give themselves a 50/50 shot. I'd say that a coin flip determines who gets the "win" but then that "winner" immediately forfeits their next round. Also, raise the timer to 10 minutes.
You guys serious? A coin flip shouldn't decide anythingggggrgrgplx.

Nuris

Smash Lord

First of all, you copied my idea (which wasn't really serious):
How about if two people time out, the winner goes to loser's bracket and the loser get kicked out of the tournament. If it's in loser's, they get banned from the tourney for life.
That said, the good thing about the idea is that it provides incentives to finish matches.

However, like Lixi said, bad players who want to win are just going to try to get better at stalling, so in that regard, the incentive is counterproductive.

Also, determining anything by a coin flip is kinda dumb.

People's ideas are all fine and good, but if you are going to make rules to try and prevent stalling and timing out, you need to think about what they intend to do. You have to simultaneously make stalling out less appealing while making finishing the match more appealing, and do this for both players. The easiest way to do this is punish people who time out (winners and losers), or reward people who finish matches (winners and losers).

Book!

Smash Journeyman
chewwy is right, can't believe you guys are giving any credence to a coin toss idea. Player with lower percent should win. If you get timed out frequently, stop playing brawl. If that doesn't work, stop playing against Pink Shinobi.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
lol of course I was joking about a coin flip chewy!

but having both players lose in the winners bracket will create problems because where would you put them in the losers bracket? There's not enough slots for that.

having two losers in the losers bracket just creates byes which speeds stuff up and is fine.

winners bracket can just be untimed lol

Also Phil, no plagiarismo intended.

Don't be hating on the coin flip. It's an important final tiebreaker for many sports playoffs systems

Nuris

Smash Lord
lol of course I was joking about a coin flip.

but having both players lose in the winners bracket will create problems because where would you put them in the losers bracket?
You would have one go directly to losers, the other would proceed in winners but forfeit the next match.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
You would have one go directly to losers, the other would proceed in winners but forfeit the next match.
how would you decide which one loses and which one wins and then forfeits?

the one that wins and then forfeits is a little further along on the loser's bracket.

maybe that's where the coin flip would work lol

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
i carefully worded my post "with stocks tied"

M2k is not going down to the last stock with a scrub who will screw him over

Nuris

Smash Lord
how would you decide which one loses and which one wins and then forfeits?

the one that wins and then forfeits is a little further along on the loser's bracket.

maybe that's where the coin flip would work lol
You would do it by percents. Yes, he would be further in the loser's bracket, but the fact remains he would be in the loser's bracket without an opportunity to stay in the winner's bracket. That's why even the "winner" would want to avoid timing out.

I'm not endorsing this, just explaining it.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
You would do it by percents. Yes, he would be further in the loser's bracket, but the fact remains he would be in the loser's bracket without an opportunity to stay in the winner's bracket. That's why even the "winner" would want to avoid timing out.

I'm not endorsing this, just explaining it.
I assume tied % there's no problem just doing Sudden Death. If so, this could be a cool system

Nuris

Smash Lord
hey guys i dont think im going to be able to make it to viperboys which means you need another driver :(
my girlfriend is visiting so i would only be able to play this weekend for a tiny bit nearby, not all day in IL

Cook

Smash Master
You know, guys, a reason why David should probably definitely be on our crew is because I have the feeling that ICs have the potential to be one of the best crews characters, considering that it is probably easier for them to take multiple stocks without losing stocks than any other character. Maybe. Percents don't really matter. Problem is, I dunno who SHOULDN'T be on it.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
ICs go both ways though. I could 3 stock an ICs player one game, and get 3 stocked the next on the same stage.

Kill Nana= +1 stock
Get grabbed= -1 stock

Just read previous page about stalling. Nothing will stop me from timing people out. Period. (unless you play a good character)

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Yeah, this has been my whole point, If anyone should be on the crew, it's David. Not only does he play more characters at a high level than anyone in STL except maybe me (I think he beats me on overall characters probably though), he freaking PLAYS ICE CLIMBERS. ...and pwns and stuff.

You guys are simply nuts if you think David shouldn't be in crews :p

We should just decide that day based on who is doing best or who is playing in the other crews.

Legan, Kit, MetalMusicMan, Nicole, Cook, Future, QTP, Jordan if he still plays?

Any 6 of those selected would do great to represent MO.

Just read previous page about stalling. Nothing will stop me from timing people out. Period. (unless you play a good character)
Excellent! I have no problems with timing out, it's legit ^_^

Like I said, I just thought it was an interesting suggestion and was bored so I wanted to have a conversation, haha.

Teh Future

Smash Master
you act religious cause whenever someone doesn't agree with you you throw a ***** fit

:D

edit: not saying all religious people act like that :D:D:D:D:::::::::::::DD:::D:D:DD: religious people can still be cool cats

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I may not be able to go to Viperboy's thing anymore but I'd like to know what you guys' plans are regardless.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
We'll see. Is the plan to leave Saturday afternoon and come back Sunday morning?

Sounds like the party is going to be Friday night but I won't be able to go then.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
so wait? what? Viperboy's thing is on Friday now. I know for sure I cant make that.

On the odd chance that it is on Saturday (of if anyone is planning on going Saturday) who all is planning on going still

I know....

Myself
TTT
Toga
who else? Im pretty sure Chris can drive and I probably can as well, though my car sucks!

Lixivium

Smash Champion
so wait? what? Viperboy's thing is on Friday now. I know for sure I cant make that.

On the odd chance that it is on Saturday (of if anyone is planning on going Saturday) who all is planning on going still

I know....

Myself
TTT
Toga
who else? Im pretty sure Chris can drive and I probably can as well, though my car sucks!
viperboy_74 said:
want to add, id suggest coming friday night to those wanting to party. i work really early sunday, i'll be staying up decently late saturday too, but i'll probably be more drinking friday
I definitely can't go Friday night either. The only way I can go is if we leave Saturday afternoon and come back Sunday morning. Also I'd rather not drive unless somebody has a GPS device.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll take this weekend off so I'm not sick of the game by the time the tournament rolls around.

Top Bottom