• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If the Chorus Men are indeed in, I'm interested to see how Sakurai and his team can implement them.

Other than that, I am aware that Sal's tipper missed out Rosalina, maybe there could be more his tipper is missing?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I still surprised by lack of Retro in the leak. I mean personally when I think about it more and more, Duck Hunt Dog makes a ton of sense. He's from the game that uses the Zapper which is an icon item from the NES. Plus he fits in more than Takumaru I think, as he's known world wide.

Off topic: Why hasn't there been a new Duck Hunt yet?
There is no "retro quota," but I would be really surprised if we don't get at least one if any further new comers are shown. This is especially true if we do somehow get a ridiculously large roster. The 50 character Gamefaqs leak with no retro seemed extremely off partially because of it.

Wii Play on the Wii had a Duck Hunt Mini-Game, and it was awesome.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I still surprised by lack of Retro in the leak. I mean personally when I think about it more and more, Duck Hunt Dog makes a ton of sense. He's from the game that uses the Zapper which is an icon item from the NES. Plus he fits in more than Takumaru I think, as he's known world wide.

Off topic: Why hasn't there been a new Duck Hunt yet?
Well, we can assume that Sal hasn't leaked every newcomer yet due to him not mentioning Rosalina as well as not saying anything like, "that's it for newcomers" or something along those lines. Duck Hunt Dog would be pretty awesome though as well as Issac...:awesome:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
There is no "retro quota," but I would be really surprised if we don't get at least one if any further new comers are shown. This is especially true if we do somehow get a ridiculously large roster. The 50 character Gamefaqs leak with no retro seemed extremely off partially because of it.

Wii Play on the Wii had a Duck Hunt Mini-Game, and it was awesome.
Sure, and I understand that there isn't. But based off the fact it seems Sakurai want's to have fun making some move sets, DHD in my opinion would be such an original character. Plus, when I think of the NES, Duck Hunt I think is as memorable as Super Mario Bros. Heck, they even shared a combo cartridge with one another.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So.... no one has any idea on how a guy would have info on two different games being developed in two different studios by two different companies in two different cities in Japan? (Mario Kart and Smash.) Not saying I doubt it happens, it just strikes me as odd.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well, we can assume that Sal hasn't leaked every newcomer yet due to him not mentioning Rosalina as well as not saying anything like, "that's it for newcomers" or something along those lines. Duck Hunt Dog would be pretty awesome though as well as Issac...:awesome:
Also, the other thing that bothered me was having two characters in the leak whose games came out after development started. In Melee we had Roy, in Brawl I don't think we had one, so Chrom and a X/Y Pokemon? I don't really see it happening. Of course that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Also, the other thing that bothered me was having two characters in the leak whose games came out after development started. In Melee we had Roy, in Brawl I don't think we had one, so Chrom and a X/Y Pokemon? I don't really see it happening. Of course that's just my opinion.
Shulk is also a rather new character, but seeing as how most of the cast first appeared in the 80s and 90s perhaps Sakurai is using this as an opportunity to balance things out a bit with newer characters?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Isaac is all I want.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
How dare you complain about the roster at all! Sakurai is an Actual God and worked SO HARD on it. Me being a member of the fanbase means you can't have the opinion that it's a poor representation of the fanbase's desires!

Oh, and people, stop bringing up "Oh, he missed Rosalina, he could have missed other characters." The explanation is so simple...Rosalina, as well as Palutena/Shulk/Chrom/Chorus Men/Pokemon weren't on his initial list of six, then none of the confirmed characters were on his second list. We're not getting some flood of newcomers worth giving a damn about later on, just like with Brawl, there weren't unlockable characters beyond Wolf, and Mewtwo/Roy weren't added into the American version. The most simple and most disappointing outcome is almost definitely true here.
I still think Ridley and K. Rool have a good chance of being in. I mean, I really doubt Sakurai would troll for months and months about Ridley just to have him be a stage hazard in the end. That would piss off a lot of people. As for K. Rool, the direct only improved his chances. Sakurai could have just had the tikis, but he chose to have the Kremlings appear in Smash Run as well. They know how popular these two characters are, just like Little Mac and Mega Man. There's really no good reason not to have them playable.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Now, here's a question, a lot of people either hate or dismiss the Sal leak because of the new comers.... but who are people really expecting that didn't make it?
The way I see it is: Ridley and K. Rool - Dixie if K. Rool is not in - Isaac - a Retro rep (such as Takamaru or the Duck Hunt Dog.) Is that it? That really doesn't seem like a massive amount of missing characters to me.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Shulk is also a rather new character, but seeing as how most of the cast first appeared in the 80s and 90s perhaps Sakurai is using this as an opportunity to balance things out a bit with newer characters?
Maybe. When Brawl came out, I think Lucario (his game actually came out after Brawl's development began) Toon Link and Ike (His game came out right before development of Brawl) were really the only more recent characters, so it is a possibility I guess. However I would say Little Mac, Rosalina, Shulk, Palutena, Chorus Men, and Villager all had Wii/3DS games that came out before SSB4 was in development, so there are some characters in there already that come from new games. I wouldn't see the point in having two characters that came out after 4 started development.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I still think Ridley and K. Rool have a good chance of being in. I mean, I really doubt Sakurai would troll for months and months about Ridley just to have him be a stage hazard in the end. That would piss off a lot of people. As for K. Rool, the direct only improved his chances. Sakurai could have just had the tikis, but he chose to have the Kremlings appear in Smash Run as well. They know how popular these two characters are, just like Little Mac and Mega Man. There's really no good reason not to have them playable.
Dixie Kong.

also I don't think the kremlings have much. its just a acknowledgement imo and a iconic choice for enemies........just like the goombas imo or the kid Icarus monoeyes.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I just have a hard time believing Sakurai would choose the Chorus Men from Rythm Heaven. They're obscure, but unlike G&W or ROB they're not important to Nintendo's history...like, at all. Its a complete WTF choice, and we already got one of those with the Wii Fit Trainers. Something about this just feels off...
Well... whether it feels off or not, it's probably true. The inner workings of Sakurai's mind is an enigma.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, Chorus Men may very well refer to the Ouendan guys/Elite Beat Agents. They would be quite the original characters. In fact, I always thought it to be weird that the RH guys were labeled as "men" instead of kids or children or something like that, because they are CLEARLY children. Also, that would make way more sense. Not because RH should not be represented, but because the Chorus Boys are a really weird choice of a character, even to represent RH. Also, considering the fact that Sal's tipper seems to be quite oblivious (X/Y's Pokemon thing) I would really see him not knowing how to describe those japan-exclusive guys. Oh, boy, I wish that's what he means because I would LOVE those guys to be in Smash.

EDIT: come to think of it, wasn't there a leak that stated that the Ouendan guys would be playable? Actually, I think I was the one that brought it up here.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm enjoying that people forgive the Sal leak for incorrect naming and vagueness, but insist that chorus men couldn't mean Marshal only.

*eats popcorn*

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Well I'm bored of this. This thread is just about people arguing over the merits of the Sal leak, the only theoretical leak available, and arguing on why the roster if the leak is true sucks or not.

Can only take so many hundred pages of that :p.
I agree. This thread is supposed to be discussing leaks and rumors, new information, and keeping what's good, but it's all devolved down to personal opinions and character discussions.

An example is the Sal leak. Right now, it's the only leak that wasn't destroyed by the direct. But have we left it at that? No. People are using their opinions as facts to say it's inaccurate. Saying things like "(insert character here) is on it and I don't see them getting in" or "he was too generic" doesn't mean it's false. Regardless of how generic "Animal Crossing guy" and "Pokemon from X and Y" are, fact of the matter is they're both still correct. Sal's leak, no matter how vague, is still logically the only valid one.

But again, everyone seems to be throwing opinions around and roster ideas or character ideas rather than discussing any new leaks or rumors. And that's probably because the amount of them has dwindled since the direct. We all still strive to keep the conversation going, but at this point most of it feels like it's just grasping at straws and petty debates in the wrong thread.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I take a look in the "live leaks" in the topic but...
One or two are not alive at all:
--> Sakurai confirms himself (more than one time) that L.Mac has a bad recovery.
--> Gliding mechanism is out of the game (so why should Ridley use it?)
And others things-off.

Only Sal Romano still truly possible (and that unimportant leaks that claim things that aren't in the game).
But I'm starting to believe Mii's aren't in the game as playable , and K.Rool OR Dixie will appear.
So... I prefered Sal leak to be a lie. But my liking can't change nothing if it's true.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Now, here's a question, a lot of people either hate or dismiss the Sal leak because of the new comers.... but who are people really expecting that didn't make it?
The way I see it is: Ridley and K. Rool - Dixie if K. Rool is not in - Isaac - a Retro rep (such as Takamaru or the Duck Hunt Dog.) Is that it? That really doesn't seem like a massive amount of missing characters to me.
Based on previous rosters and series prominence, people were "expecting" a new Fire Emblem character, a new DK character, a new Zelda character, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Mewtwo, a new Retro character, a Namco rep, and maybe the star of one new unrepresented rpg series (Shulk or Isaac). If the MK leak AND Sal Ramano leaks are true, about half of that ends up being true depending on how you look at it, but the half that doesn't includes Ridley, K. Rool, a retro rep, and a Zelda rep, which were all some of the most popular requests:

35 slots in Brawl - 4 cuts (Definitely Ivysaur and Squirtle, maybe Snake and either Lucas or Ike) = 33 slots with Charizard taking over for Pokemon Trainer + 2 new slots for Sheik and ZSS = 35 slots just like Brawl + Rosalina = 36 characters + 11 Sal Ramano newcomers (Villager, WFT, Megaman, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Mii, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, Greninja, "Chorus Men") = 47 characters + Mewtwo = 48 characters with 36 Veterans, 12 Newcomers, and 4 cuts. In this image, I cut Lucas over Ike based solely on the fact that he's much more cloney, but it could go either way. Losing Ike or Lucas would make me sad and losing Snake will make me REALLY sad.

Assuming Sal's roster isn't complete and the MK leak is wrong, we could manage 4 more characters for a total of 52. K.Rool/Dixie (DK Slot), Ridley (Metroid Slot), Takamaru/Duck Hunt Dog (Retro Slot), Isaac (Popular Unrepresented RPG Slot), Tingle (Zelda Slot), and the return of Snake and/or Lucas/Ike are all very solid contenders for the "expected" slots that Sal's leak doesn't cover. I know Ghirahim is considered the Zelda front runner round these parts but oh please. That's 9 major contenders for four hypothetical slots. The rpg slot and retro slot are arguably filled by Shulk and Little Mac respectively, so If we were to get Ridley, K. Rool, Tingle, and Snake after all, I would be ecstatic. This is all really reaching but that's my analysis of what we expected versus what it looks like we're getting.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't think Rhythm Heaven getting some representation is that big a stretch. It's a decently successful series with three games, the last one being released on Wii recently, with reportedly around four million in total sales, which is probably more than Mother. The series also has the weight of Yoshio Sakamoto and Nintendo SPD behind it, who have developed various titles for the WarioWare and Metroid series.

All I'm curious about is how the Rhythm Heaven character (Whether it be Marshal or really the Chorus Boys) will actually play in Smash Bros. Perhaps some sort of rhythm based moveset?

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
If I were a leaker, I wouldn't have one account, I wouldn't leak every character at once, I wouldn't claim to be leaking, and I'd probably throw in some wrong choices. Just to protect myself from being caught. Lol :troll:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
If I were a leaker, I wouldn't have one account, I wouldn't leak every character at once, I wouldn't claim to be leaking, and I'd probably throw in some wrong choices. Just to protect myself from being caught. Lol :troll:
Personally, I wouldn't throw in wrong choices but if I was the director of the game I would tell people certain things that I wouldn't tell anyone else so that if something leaks I will know who it was.
For example... Say I told employee X that Palutena, Shulk, and Snake are going to be in the game, then I told employee Y that Palutena, Shulk, and Ridley was in the game. Then the next day I go on Neogaf and someone leaked that Palutena, Shulk, and Ridley are going to be in the game I would know that it was employee Y that released that information and fire his ass.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
still fake. the Mario ats are chainchomp, waluigi and I think that's it......

kamek is in the amazing smash run.(which has about 7 Mario enemies...)
That's the ATs we know of at this point in time, they didn't (as we know) show them all off at once
Waluigi is seen with the Wario logo, being taken as being from the Warioware series along with Ashley
I wasn't saying at all that every series with multiple playable characters was guaranteed an equal amount of ATs simply pointing out that most series with a fighter also get at least an AT

Regarding Mario it currently has Hammer Bro, Bullet Bill, Chain Chomp confirmed as far as I'm aware

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I wouldn't throw in wrong choices but if I was the director of the game I would tell people certain things that I wouldn't tell anyone else so that if something leaks I will know who it was.
For example... Say I told employee X that Palutena, Shulk, and Snake are going to be in the game, then I told employee Y that Palutena, Shulk, and Ridley was in the game. Then the next day I go on Neogaf and someone leaked that Palutena, Shulk, and Ridley are going to be in the game I would know that it was employee Y that released that information and fire his ***.
But how would you know if employee X and employee Y didn't talk to each other about what you told them. And whose to say someone didn't overhear them talking? A lot of variables. Let's not forget that Sakurai isn't in a room working by himself, there are multiple individuals working on it under him that know everything about it as well.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
That's the ATs we know of at this point in time, they didn't (as we know) show them all off at once
Waluigi is seen with the Wario logo, being taken as being from the Warioware series along with Ashley
I wasn't saying at all that every series with multiple playable characters was guaranteed an equal amount of ATs simply pointing out that most series with a fighter also get at least an AT

Regarding Mario it currently has Hammer Bro, Bullet Bill, Chain Chomp confirmed as far as I'm aware
Bullet Bill is an item and Hammer Bro has only been seen in Smash Run, though. ^^

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's ironic how one of the main complaints about the big Brawl leak was that most of newcomers were too old while one of the main complaints of the Gematsu "leak" is that most of the newcomers are too new. With Brawl, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link, and Olimar were the only "new" additions and with this "leak", the only "old" additions are Pac-Man, Megaman, Little Mac, and Villager (meaning only two of them actually belong to Nintendo). It could be real but I still say its weird because of who all they chose. Rosalina sticks out like a sore thumb like nobody's business, that's for sure. No offense to her fans but it seems weird that she took priority over not only a lot of Mario characters who have been waiting in line for years but a number of characters from other franchises too.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
But how would you know if employee X and employee Y didn't talk to each other about what you told them. And whose to say someone didn't overhear them talking? A lot of variables. Let's not forget that Sakurai isn't in a room working by himself, there are multiple individuals working on it under him that know everything about it as well.
huh.. that's actually an interesting point. I suppose I was under the assumption that a disclosure agreement meant that you can't talk about it at all.

Last edited:

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
There's quite a bit you could do with someone who fights with Balloons. Just because Villager has a recovery move based on it doesn't rule him out. I mean, we have 5 sword users in Brawl but we can't have 2 characters that have balloons in their moveset?

Not saying he's in, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point. Apart from Animal Crossing in Brawl we haven't ever seen a stage for a series that could have a playable character.
But the problem is them calling Villager's recovery move Balloon Trip in the Direct, that's directly referencing the Balloon series and implying the move is taken from that.... it's not like Marth has a move called Master Sword slash or anything :p

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
I think it's ironic how one of the main complaints about the big Brawl leak was that most of newcomers were too old while one of the main complaints of the Gematsu "leak" is that most of the newcomers are too new. With Brawl, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link, and Olimar were the only "new" additions and with this "leak", the only "old" additions are Pac-Man, Megaman, Little Mac, and Villager (meaning only two of them actually belong to Nintendo). It could be real but I still say its weird because of who all they chose. Rosalina sticks out like a sore thumb like nobody's business, that's for sure. No offense to her fans but it seems weird that she took priority over not only a lot of Mario characters who have been waiting in line for years but a number of characters from other franchises too.
I just assumed it was a desire to give Super Mario Galaxy some representation in the game in regards to Rosalina.

I mean they put her in Mario Kart as well.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
huh.. that's actually an interesting point. I suppose I was under the assumption that a disclosure agreement meant that you can't talk about it at all.
Yeah that's what disclosure agreements are meant for but just as people don't always follow the simplest rules, people won't always follow those either. As well as the fact that people make mistakes and might allow something to slip or you have the occasional person that wants their 15 minutes of fame and will purposely leak as much info as possible until they are reprimanded.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Well, Nintendo has been pushing Rosalina for years. She's been in multiple mario games including mario kart and 3d world(/land?). She might seem new now but give it a few years and the kids that grew up with her will consider her nostalgic. Also, the older mario characters like Daisy, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr that we consider nostalgic just never reached the popularity that some of us think they have and really they were never as important as their counterparts making them weak choices to add to the roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, Nintendo has been pushing Rosalina for years. She's been in multiple mario games including mario kart and 3d world(/land?). She might seem new now but give it a few years and the kids that grew up with her will consider her nostalgic. Also, the older mario characters like Daisy, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr that we consider nostalgic just never reached the popularity that some of us think they have and really they were never as important as their counterparts making them weak choices to add to the roster.
Explain Toad then.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I still like the theory that they actually meant the Elite Beat Agents or a rep from Ouendan/Rhythm games in general rather than any specific character.
I think that might've been me and it was more wishful thinking than a theory.

I fully expect it to be Marshal because EBA/Ouendan is a much better game.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Like who? Please don't say Daisy.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
How are we always the first ones to hear of these leaks. By us I mean American gamers in general.

If anyone was able to leak/test the game, wouldn't it be Japanese gamers?

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
I just assumed it was a desire to give Super Mario Galaxy some representation in the game in regards to Rosalina.

I mean they put her in Mario Kart as well.
and she was playable in 3D World... as well as Party Golf and Tennis latest releases as far as I'm aware

Sakurai was looking more female representation, a nod towards the Galaxy games, a unique moveset and a currently prominent character, she makes clear sense to me tbh not that I was expecting her reveal when it happened :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Explain Toad then.
If Sakurai doesn't initially find Toad feasible, and - even if he's a popular character in general - there's no overwhelming Smash-specific demand for him (especially in Japan), at least compared to the other Mario characters, there would be nothing pushing Sakurai to give Toad another look (unlike say - Ridley for example - who still seems to not be feasible in Sakurai's mind), then it doesn't really matter how hard Nintendo pushes him, unless they are willing to intervene it still comes down to Sakurai's call.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Explain Toad then.
Toad I still don't understand the support for as a fighter, love the character myself but that race has never really been anything more than a supporting character (even when playable tends to fill the extra playable character role), and being in Peach's moveset as a meat shield always made sense regarding the characters' role in other games

Waluigi is a filler character created by Camelot who fans took to, but other than a couple of stages in WarioWare (where he's treated no more highly than any other of the supporting cast), he's never appeared in a 'core' title of either Wario or Mario games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom