• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
btw I checked earlier

You CAN buffer Pokémon Switch.

And it was the slopes messing it up ****, you probably had just that one frame needed to switch.

Kith

Smash Ace
I just realized that we can spotdodge out of shellshift. That opens up a whole new option for people looking to attack us out of it.
I do (or "did") it a lot if I needed to exit a hydrostall. I never considered doing it out of a normal shell shift though. Good point.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
btw I checked earlier

You CAN buffer Pokémon Switch.

And it was the slopes messing it up ****, you probably had just that one frame needed to switch.
Word supreme this is good knowledge for the yoshi matchup because on YI this could get us out of the 0 to deaths which may lead to a punish but I'll take % over a stock anyday.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
which match up?

ALso I have been doing shell shift into a RARed fullhopped Dair. Its really sweet.

Also I love to grab the edge as squirtle when some one has to recover low and you let go of the edge and jump and do a dair so that your tail is right over the edge so they can not sweet spot. its really good. (just be ready to tech if needed)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
They are talking the yoshi matchup miles.

Also I love the tail portion of the hitbox on squirtle's D-air like you were talking about miles. I use it when I know MK is gonna shuttleloop or when I am directly above characters with bad u-air hitboxes

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The main reason I prefer Charizard is starting with Charizard tends to make people assume your Ivy is free... and mine is my strongest of the three pokemon. So they tend to play as if you have two stocks sometimes. And then Ivy comes out and ***** them.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
^truth thats why using different starters is so important figuring it can start mindgames on your opponent w.o you doing anything besides choosing how your gonna start.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Choosing the right starter could be the difference between winning or lossing which is what I figured out the other day when I had a PT ditto with my buddy MX (Yoshi main.)

Neither of us picked a starter since the other person didn't pick one, we ended up going random and he got Squirtle while I got Ivysaur. As the battle went on, he took out my Pokemon before I did and we ended up going Squirtle against Squirtle in the final stock. (MX had switched once) My Squirtle got fatigued quickly while his was going fine. Our battle went on for awhile since we were both fatigued and our moves were getting stale. I got a little too risky and jumped off the stage and couldn't make it back.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey so here"s a question I got for you guys, I was playing against my friend's (Problem) Snake yesterday
and when he attempted to use snake's down smash I watergunned him. Now he was close to Halberd's right site but not to close and didn't get pushed off the stage. My watergun pushed him throughout the entire animation of his down smash and when it I wasn't sure where the down smash (Claymore) was planted.

Later it turned out it was planted EXACTLY where he first started the d-smash. Any idea of wtf went on here?

EDIT: On a side note the best part was that the d-smash ended up on the small right slant when the stage is up in the air, so I managed to b-throw him into his own d-smash to take first stock :cool:

Tesh

Smash Hero
thats pretty cool. If I ever have the balls to go PT against a snake again ill keep that in mind.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you Up-B, you can turn yourself in the opposite direction of where you're facing by holding the opposite direction during the first few frames.

While that in itself is no great revelation, I found out that holding back while doing Up-B forward (as in, after holding back won't turn you around) makes you go almost straight up, which gives you more vertical distance. This also works for Charizard. PT's recovery just got a tiny bit better. :)

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I feel like this has long been discovered but, there have been times on PS1 where my Squirtle went to grab the ledge using Waterfall, and he didn't grab on but, canceled his Up-B and he could reuse Up-B and his mid-air jump as well.

T-block

B2B TST
Yep. Happens on Lylat quite a bit as well.

Super important to be aware of, as it can kill you if you don't react quickly enough.

I don't think anyone knows the cause yet.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yep. Happens on Lylat quite a bit as well.

Super important to be aware of, as it can kill you if you don't react quickly enough.

I don't think anyone knows the cause yet.
I'm pretty sure it's just coming at the ledge from a certain direction/angle.

It's like how Wolf and Falco can do it on command on any ledge with Forward-B, but this only happens on Lylat and Stadium 1 for Squirtle, as far as I can tell.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If Squirtle uses Up-B from the bottom of Battlefield, holds Up until his head reaches the bottom of the platform, and then holds Forward, his lag time is minimized a good amount.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh..yeah I figured. I meant more that nobody could reproduce it consistently.
Wolf can. At least, Semifer can do it 100% consistently, but he's amazingly tech-skilled 0_o

Overall I've found Squirtle's upB to be quite useful if it wasn't for the lag. The hitbox on it is massive, and the ability to adjust directions and reduce lag with platforms makes it all the much better. But the opponent can just SDI it and pretty much get a free punish.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there only appears to be a noticeable difference between a "Smash" Forward-B and a tilt Forward-B (as in, how you get Samus's Power Missiles and Homing Missiles, respectively) for Squirtle when you start it in the air.

That said, a Smash Forward-B somewhat close to the ground looks like it would be a useful mix-up between low aerials. Withdraw gets slower the longer it's in the air, but done directly from a short-hop, it's -slightly- faster than Charizard's run, so if we get opponents to shield, we can hit their shield and move away before they can punish us. If they shield it, and they fast enough to keep up with us, they won't be able to grab us, because dash grabs are slow and/or have bad range, so worst-case scenario, we stop Withdraw immediately off the stage with a midair jump and Up-B intact.

Also, I just found out that we can stop Withdraw on the first possible frame by holding Back. Doesn't require good timing, buffering, or anything. Just hold the direction opposite of where you're moving, and you'll get out on frame 60 of the animation. Cool beans.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
When you Up-B, you can turn yourself in the opposite direction of where you're facing by holding the opposite direction during the first few frames.

While that in itself is no great revelation, I found out that holding back while doing Up-B forward (as in, after holding back won't turn you around) makes you go almost straight up, which gives you more vertical distance. This also works for Charizard. PT's recovery just got a tiny bit better. :)

This is new unknown stuff?

I thought it was commonly known amongst PT users

Tesh

Smash Hero
Reflex, can't they just OoS your withdraw to send you crazy far off stage? That would happen to me every time I tried to withdraw MKs/Marths. For people with slow OoS options it doesn't seem really needed to withdraw at them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex, can't they just OoS your withdraw to send you crazy far off stage? That would happen to me every time I tried to withdraw MKs/Marths. For people with slow OoS options it doesn't seem really needed to withdraw at them.
Why are you using PT against Marth or Meta Knight? :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I love Zard vs Marth or MK.

But I am crazy.

Reflex that post makes me think you have given up on PT?

How do you feel about PT these days/do you use him much anymore?

(Sorry if this is know I am out of the loop)
I was joking, really. :p

Still, against characters that can Up-B out-of-shield with a strong attack (which is Mario, Bowser, Meta Knight, and Marth come to mind) it won't work, but against everyone else (like Olimar U-Smash), it just knocks you further away on the opposite side, where you hopefully have space (or why would you be doing Withdraw over there?)

Charizard does alright against Marth, but Squirtle struggles due to grab shenanigans, and Ivysaur struggles because of her fundamental design.

I've been using PT a lot lately (as in, in the last couple weeks). While using Falcon, I slacked on PT usage, but I've come back to PT in full force. You should get to see me use him well in the Midwest this weekend, because I bought incredibly cheap plane tickets to go to another scene for a few days.

Knowing how to properly Zero Switch on Lylat Cruise makes me happy, since switching around is at least fairly easy on four of the seven neutral stages.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Im still unsure about where and when to switch on Lylat. The other stages I'm okay with, just Lylat gives me some trouble.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked through Relex's guide on Zero Switching. Last time I looked at it, it wasn't finished.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Knowing how to properly Zero Switch on Lylat Cruise makes me happy, since switching around is at least fairly easy on four of the seven neutral stages.
Back when we figureed out how to Zero Switch I thought to try it on Lylatt, I only tried it a few times.

Are there any viual hints that let you know the level is going to move?

Or is it always considered moving?

Thanks again, I am out of the loop I need to get up to date.

I have been playing a lot of PT, Ganonn and Jiggs lately and it feels really good.

Especially the PT.

Feels soo right.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Back when we figureed out how to Zero Switch I thought to try it on Lylat, I only tried it a few times.

Are there any visual hints that let you know the level is going to move?

Or is it always considered moving?
There are five different backgrounds that change; you can think of it as a swaying Delfino (as the backgrounds' order is variable) that never touches down on the ground. The stage moves during various parts of each transition. Some of the tilts are very quick and require a very strict timing that could be thrown off by slight loading trouble. I only list the ones that give you a little leeway (of which there are more than a few).

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is a guide in the stage discussion forum outlining the pattern of all the tilting on lylat. Every "scene" has a scripted tilt pattern so you can tell by the background if you can switch.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbXHh9fRuQ

This makes me think that we would have a similar opportunity on Smashville. U-Tilt/short-hop U-Air -> footstool -> platform cancel -> falling sourspot N-Air/B-Air -> Jab lock.

I need to practice platform canceling.
Luis I love how everytime we see you you manage to spit out so much experimental stuff I can't even keep up :p.

This is a really interesting find and I think sourspot n-air is the better option since n-air autocancels. Squirtle's platform cancel is deffinitly the hardest out of the 3 though because the tier of platform cancels from easiest to hardest for PT is Zard, Ivy, Squirtle.

Do you think on characters that we can get early f-throw chains on we can manage to sneak in a footstool to start this also?

Top Bottom