• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Is FSmash really ever useful?

I've only ever used it once well and that was to armor through a waft which otherwise I couldn't get away from.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
You can't jab lock of trips Geen.....they just stand right back up and Tesh your deff right about trips into smashes it doesnt ever really connect unless they don't input ANYTHING. Thats why I was saying reading the way they roll out of a trip to u-smash is always sexy :)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol STOP WITH THAT.....its nice having activity and getting corrected shouldnt make you not wanna post lol. It's no big deal tho tbh I thought you could trip into jab lock for quite a while also.

Tesh

Smash Hero
can u imagine how broken dtilt spam with mk would be if that worked. :/

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hey guys I've got a question.
Is hydrograb to fthrow to utilt legit at very low %?
It works everytime but I'm not sure if it's true...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hey guys I've got a question.
Is hydrograb to fthrow to utilt legit at very low %?
It works everytime but I'm not sure if it's true...
If you keep your momentum while/after you're throwing, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Is FSmash really ever useful?

I've only ever used it once well and that was to armor through a waft which otherwise I couldn't get away from.
I use it when Meta Knight players try to use Mach Tornado from the ledge, and it's had moderate success. Because of how Squirtle shifts his body forward all at once, it's a pretty good option near the ledge if you can read a ledgehopped attack. Super armor is satisfying.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Thanks for your answer!

Another question : I can hydrojab and crawl to get a slide if I pivot to the right, but I can't do it on the other direction. Is it possible?

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I think it is possible, but I honestly don't know so it's pretty much a wild guess. I myself can do all the hydroplane moves better from left to right but I can't do them as effectively from right to left.

T-block

B2B TST
As far as I know, there's nothing that's direction specific. If it can be done one way, it can be done in the other - it's just a matter of getting the feeling for it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I know I have an easier time hydrojabbing to the right than I do to the left; I think it's just that some people are better at getting the correct angle for one direction than the other.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I've been sparring against a computer PT, and I've been wondering; What are the match-ups of Squirtle against the other Pokemon? I'm pretty sure that Squirtle just destroys Charizard, but how does he fair against Ivy?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Squirtle can juggle the mess out of both Ivysaur and Charizard, but shieldgrabbing and pivot grabbing with both Charizard and Ivysaur is rather effective.

I honestly don't know much about the matchup. I never have another PT to play against.

T-block

B2B TST
Squirtle wrecks Ivysaur hard.

Slight advantage over Charizard imo, but Charizard still has some say in the flow of the matchup. It's doable kinda in the same way DK fights Squirtle.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I know I have an easier time hydrojabbing to the right than I do to the left; I think it's just that some people are better at getting the correct angle for one direction than the other.
next time I see you I'm going to Body you in PT dittos =]

you going to Apex bro?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea Squirtle has the ground mobility and air mobility to really over power Ivy and Zard, the prob is that Squirt can get grab released by both of them. So while Ivy does not have any real options out of grab release, Zard deff can follow it up and hurt the lil guy.

BTW I think there should be an APEX thread to see all of us that are going to APEX because I'm almost 100% that Aposl, Reflex, Supreme, Killanator, Myself and quite a few other PT's are making it out. Which deff means we all gotta meet up finally!!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hahaha aww making me sound like I'm half decent LOL
Well, even if I may be the best PT, I don't have all the answers. I'm confident that there are individual things we can learn from every committed PT player. He's such a varied character that he lends himself to new ideas on a regular basis.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That seems pretty obvious, but I'll admit that I never really thought about it. Confirmed knowledge is always nice to have.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
TBH I found that kinda surprising figuring our jab isn't changing, I just imagined getting the spacing right on that would be rather difficult.

Kith

Smash Ace
I think he was implying that you can't hydrojab repeatedly to lock someone.
Yeah, sorry lol. Let's say someone was in a position to be jab locked. Instead of just jabbing, you hydrojab, and the hydrojab the other way, and repeat. Coulda been an infinite lol, but it takes just a little too long to do

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok that much I deffinitly can understand because the whole turn around squirtle has to go through in order to hydroplane would take to long, in other word UNDERSTOOD!

The more you know!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey guys so in the vid I posted up I was getting grab released by yoshi on Yoshi's story(Brawl) and I managed to pokeswitch after I was released before he could regrab me. I don't know if it was frame perfect or the stage or if this is in fact legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpHGkUKf9Q

If you watch from 1:45 to 1:49 and pause the video you clearly see Yoshi's tongue has not even extended half way for the regrab and I managed to down b out of it. I have rewatched to check the Yoshi's regrab timing and it looks just fine. So guys what happened because I am almost 100% you can't buffer a down B.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Oh wow it was because yoshi was on the slopes but I was air released on a non sloped portion I thought.

Edit: Just rewatched it and I landed on flat ground

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I just realized that we can spotdodge out of shellshift. That opens up a whole new option for people looking to attack us out of it.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea luis I noticed this after I noticed we could shield out of shellshift thus making the MK v. Squirtle matchup a bit more fun for us!!

Top Bottom