• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Because bubble doesn't do enough knockback. Its strength lies in its low angle and trip property - the move has never had high knockback.
The move used to go through Bowser's crouch armor though, it doesn't in this patch. It makes the MU so much harder now :(

HEADHNTR

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new to the PM universe. Just introducing myself as I've chosen to main Squirtle.

I am Western Australian :)

What's going on

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Something I noticed while practicing ledge stuff:

Squirtle can refresh ledge intangibility before losing it by instant-walljumping* from the ledge and withdrawing back onto it (cancelling the WD) on all stages in the bottom two rows except for BF, SV and Lylat. On BF he can do almost the same, but with at least 1 frame without intangibility (because the walljump starts too far up.) On YS the easier method doesn't work, but the less ideal method can still produce permanent intangibility

Also walljumping from the ledge can be used to come back onto the stage with special lower than via a ledge-hop or -jump. Could be a useful mixup. Or of course for edgeguards, but that's the obvious usage.

*Methods for instant-walljumps (or whatever they're called, the Doraki/Scar-jump terminology is confusing):
1. While on the ledge press away from the stage on the C-Stick, then instantly towards on the Control-Stick and jump. Doesn't use the double jump, but also doesn't work on BF & YS. Goes slightly lower than the other method, which is better for regrabbing the ledge via WD, but makes getting onto the stage harder.
2. Press away from the ledge on the Control-Stick and one frame later jump while holding away. Uses the double jump, but works on BF/YS.
Both don't work on SV and Lylat.

Edit: Add YS to BF's category, I must have somehow missed it before.
Edit2: You can actually stay invincible even with the second method on YS.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
What are some of Squirtle's better options for shield pressure?
Once my Mayflash comes in I'm going to look into how viable dair-grab really is framewise.

Jab is pretty good if you're like landing in front of a shield with an aerial or something.

Beyond that, the other local Squirtle here did dtilt dtilt crawl attack on my shield once, crawl attack certainly caught me off guard because I completely forget about it!

Mostly Squirtle doesn't do a lot of Fox-style shield pressure where he overwhelms the enemy shield with hitboxes--instead he uses his mobility to lure someone out of their shield (or shellshift grab if they're intent on sitting there) and deals with them on those terms.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
@ Jobes Jobes it's nothing legit, you just gotta mix up when you hit your opponent in an effort to catch them as they drop their shield and before their OoS option hits you/escapes from you. Squirtle is more zone focused, but it's not impossible with conditioning and mind gamerinos

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
@ Jobes Jobes it's nothing legit, you just gotta mix up when you hit your opponent in an effort to catch them as they drop their shield and before their OoS option hits you/escapes from you. Squirtle is more zone focused, but it's not impossible with conditioning and mind gamerinos
Once my Mayflash comes in I'm going to look into how viable dair-grab really is framewise.

Jab is pretty good if you're like landing in front of a shield with an aerial or something.

Beyond that, the other local Squirtle here did dtilt dtilt crawl attack on my shield once, crawl attack certainly caught me off guard because I completely forget about it!

Mostly Squirtle doesn't do a lot of Fox-style shield pressure where he overwhelms the enemy shield with hitboxes--instead he uses his mobility to lure someone out of their shield (or shellshift grab if they're intent on sitting there) and deals with them on those terms.
Thanks guys! I was just wondering after seeing reddit user daddytissues Squirtle guide. He says that you want your opponent in their shield since Squirtle excels at shield pressure, but he doesn't elaborate too much. The guide can be found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2cxeu3/squirtle_guide/

Player -0

Smash Hero
Squirtle excels at passive pressure where you can jump the opponent at any time but actually doing stuff on their shield is eh. You can do some safe smashes and stuff but then you give up your pressuring position.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The SH jump height reduction reduced his double aerial shield pressure options that no one utilized

SpiderMad

Smash Master
--Air mobility A 0.04 -> 0.08
--Air mobility b 0.04 -> 0.02
what does this mean?

no way this was legit, there's a ton of delay between each hitbox that you'd get hit by jc usmash or up-b oos or nair or something
Wish I had more in-match use recorded. He lost many things, If you slangshat at someone they don't expect double aerials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_29xQKspI#t=29
This was 2.6 or something, his gravity got increased in 3.0 and lost a few things but still had double aerial options, now he's a little more boned again. I don't think any of you are good at early aerials, ya'll have to prove so by completing an early aerial challenge.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oh, I need to research that aspect of characters.

Try out SH Fair WL, that's one of the hardest ones I could find for 3.5 Squirtle for you guys to test your early aerial ability

Badge

Smash Apprentice
--Air mobility A 0.04 -> 0.08
--Air mobility b 0.04 -> 0.02
what does this mean?
Most of the time your aerial acceleration is the sum of those two. ("Most of the time" including weaving with or without aerials in both directions.) I haven't been able to pinpoint any difference between them for now. BB says aerial mobility a is how fast you can maneuver and mobility b how fast you can stop in the air, but I couldn't replicate whatever difference this means.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Squirtle dittos are fun

Also what does "Side-b types were homogenized"? Like with the Fast vs Slow (Tilt vs Smash Side-b), what's the differences now? What did they change? It always feels like the Fast one is the better choice.

Also here's M2K showing how to juggle squirtle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD566WciAeU

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
@ cmart cmart / @ Zwarm Zwarm , some of us have noticed that if you do withdraw near someone (like from aqua jet range to sort of close), that we just pass through and dont hit, is this a glitch/error in hitbox entry or was it intentional?

Because bubble doesn't do enough knockback. Its strength lies in its low angle and trip property - the move has never had high knockback.
That still doesn't explain why it doesn't trip him through the crouch armor at high percent.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
What was the wall cling change to Squirtle? Is it referring to getting walljump out of wallclinh? If so, how does that affect Squirtle?
You don't get a normal jump out of wall cling anymore. Just a (bad) wall jump.

cmart

Smash Lord
That still doesn't explain why it doesn't trip him through the crouch armor at high percent.
Actually it does. As soon as it breaks his crouch armor (around 120) it trips him. It's just really weak so it takes forever to break crouch armor.

As far as the withdraw issue, that does look like a glitch or at least unintended behavior. I'll see if I can track down why that's happening.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Tap jump ftw. Or let go of wall for 1 frame then jump.
Specifically you don't regain your DJ by jumping during wallcling. Before you could DJ->wallcling->DJ, now you can't. For example here Burnsy uses his DJ for a ledgehop and gets hit off with a FAir, but then DJs again at the wall.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Actually it does. As soon as it breaks his crouch armor (around 120) it trips him. It's just really weak so it takes forever to break crouch armor.

As far as the withdraw issue, that does look like a glitch or at least unintended behavior. I'll see if I can track down why that's happening.
I knew it! I can't seem to hit withdraw starting next to someone on the ground... perhaps changes to the beginning hit detection for aquajet are working dastardly deeds upon squirtman.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So it says "Homogenized Smash and tilt speeds" for Withdraw. But it doesn't feel like they're the same now, am I crazy? @ cmart cmart
Is there only one speed now? No Strong or tilt, just the same for whatever? If not, what are the differences in all their stats?

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So it says "Homogenized Smash and tilt speeds" for Withdraw. But it doesn't feel like they're the same now, am I crazy? @ cmart cmart
Is there only one speed now? No Strong or tilt, just the same for whatever? If not, what are the differences in all their stats?
Speed is the same no matter what. But withdraw slows down like half way through the move if it's on the ground.

MACKU

Smash Rookie
Hello Squirtle Squad! I've recently picked up the character as a secondary (I primarily use OldManondorf), and I've really enjoyed what I've discovered with the character thus far. I just wanted to pop my head in and say hello.

I'm actually really happy I've come in after 3.5, mainly because I don't have many built up bad habits regarding the old withdraw or AJ. I'm sure I'll be trying to pick your brains about the character soon enough!

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
So I'm very, very slowly, starting to use hydropivoting in my game (like once a match), obviously it's an amazing tech just hard to pull off, does anybody use it on a consistent basis? Videos of it in a set maybe?

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I still think everyone should be trying to get down hydrocrawling, as forward facing hydroplanes are the bomb, as is hydroshielding. Hydro pivots have their uses, but you have more options when attempting a hydrocrawl. Not to mention you can retreat with a hydroreversal if you feel approaching just became a bad plan.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Hry guys,I'm new to Squirtle.Can you all educate me on some of the Squirt's unique techs?
These names make me draw a blank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom