• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
What happened with Spawn?
As far as I understand it, all of the leakers for Injustice were pointing towards Spawn being in, the devs themselves were teasing his inclusion, and there was some datamined info pointing towards their inclusion.

Spawn, despite all this, was never put into Injustice.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
...Why King Boo?

But everything else is solid.
Probably because of Luigi's Mansion being highly relevant again, and considering King Boo is the main antagonist and we don't have a character like him at ALL on the roster, I could see that being a pretty great fit.

D

Deleted member

Probably because of Luigi's Mansion being highly relevant again, and considering King Boo is the main antagonist and we don't have a character like him at ALL on the roster, I could see that being a pretty great fit.
It sticks out to me. We advertised all of these big third party characters to crosspromote our platforms, but don't forget to buy Luigi's Mansion 3 for your Nintendo Switch. Wouldn't be the end of the world because Banjo and Erdrick pretty much make me content for the rest of Ultimate's life cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Because if you notice closely when Joker’s gameplay video was revealed yesterday, there was a date of when the 1st fighters pass will most likely end and that’s February 2020. It would be too soon to reveal two characters at E3 if they are expecting to be done with all DLC by February 2020. Now granted that’s a tentative date, but considering we didn’t even get Joker released until April. It’s seems very unlikely that Nintendo would reveal two DLC characters at the same time. We have to consider that just because Smash 4 DLC showed two at the same time does not mean that Smash Ultimate will follow same pattern.

Edit: Also let’s consider this, E3 is only 8 weeks away. Considering how long it took for us to get Joker released. Does it really make sense for Nintendo to all of sudden start speeding up their time table by showing off not one, but two DLC characters when they have been so slow before? From a time standpoint it makes more sense they would want to space out the reveals and not put them all together. Especially if the two reveals are 3rd party characters.
The content release schedule so far has been every 2 months. The game launched in December, Plant (almost) came out in February & Joker came out in April. It only felt longer because the hype for Joker was significantly higher than Plant.

Going by this pattern, the next character should be out in June. So an E3 reveal makes perfect sense. Maybe an additional reveal if the next character is Erdrick; since DQ is vastly more popular in the East, it wouldn’t make sense to come to THE American game show with a character that’s primarily for a different audience. Ridley was revealed at E3 for similar reasons.

The February 2020 date just seems like a placeholder to me. They have it there just Incase there’s any major delays for some reason.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

How would people feel if this was the final roster?

Reminds me of the pairing of Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve, and Doomguy. There's a reason why I never bought the Fighter Pass. It's a $25 blind bag where all five slots could potentially be filled with characters from games I never played, or have no connection with.

There are two characters that would make me buy the Fighter Pass without me giving a damn of who else is in it, and one of them is dismissed in favor of Erdrick, and the other goes against the fandom's absolute attitudes towards character speculation.

At least Joker has some catchy music.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

If this was the final lineup, I would be really disappointed! There's no one exciting after Joker, aside from Banjo and Jill! Erdrick, is almost so expected at this point, I wouldn't be to beat up about it, but if this ends up being another Spawn situation for Smash and we get someone else completely from Square then I'm for that too. King Boo is completely random and after Piranah Plant, you'd have to think how people would feel/react to that. I honestly don't think we're getting another Piranah Plant situation with King Boo and I don't think the Smash community wants to go through that again!

Banjo you guys already know that people would be ecstatic if that ends up being a reality! After so long, the bear and bird would be back to where they belonged and should've been in since Melee.

Why Jill? I mean, if Resident Evil were to get someone I would say it would be Leon. I'm actually kind of surprised that people are sleeping on Resident Evil or the possibility of Capcom getting another character. They are one of the more cooperative companies when it comes to Smash and they have so many options for characters. So, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they REALLY do get somebody else! I would say the options for them are Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Phoenix Wright seem to be the frontunners for another Capcom character.

But, yeah this would honestly be disappointing, the only ones I would willingly buy after Joker would be, Banjo and Jill if this were it!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Well, can’t complain if Erdrick is in.
Funny that we’d be having 4 characters who appeared in MvC2.

King Boo is the real headscratcher here. After PP I don’t think were getting another Mario character.

Oh, but I’d be cool with it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I liked this yesterday, but never gave my opinions, so:

I'd personally replace Erdrick with Geno, but DQ seems cool so it wouldn't bug me; either way I guess. I'd put Steve/a Creeper in there, but I feel we'll only get one Microsoft character so I'll keep Banjo-Kazooie because I love them as well. King Boo would be awesome. I've never played RE but Jill seems like she could be cool (basically how I feel with Joker and Erdrick, though I'm interested in Dragon Quest).

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wouldn’t hate that roster (infact, I really want Banjo & Jill), but I’m not too big on King Boo. I think it’d be really weird to add him before Waluigi or Captain Toad.

If we get another Nintendo character, I’d like another Zelda rep. Zelda desperately needs a character that’s not a Link, Zelda or Ganon. My vote is for Impa with a moveset based off of Hyrule Warriors.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t hate that roster (infact, I really want Banjo & Jill), but I’m not too big on King Boo. I think it’d be really weird to add him before Waluigi or Captain Toad.

If we get another Nintendo character, I’d like another Zelda rep. Zelda desperately needs a character that’s not a Link, Zelda or Ganon. My vote is for Impa with a moveset based off of Hyrule Warriors.
My vote for a new Nintendo rep would go to Black Shadow or Mach Rider.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
the response to helloiamhere helloiamhere roster's made me realize that no one is gonna be happy about the final dlc selection so **** it, bring on the surprise, never-saw-it-coming choices and let the salt flow.
Eh, I don't think it's possible for them to make everyone happy, especially with the limitation of only five slots (well, four more, rather, given Joker is out and no longer a mystery). If those datamined slots get filled, then the chance of a very complacent consumer base, both casual and hardcore, will be a lot greater, but I'm not about to put my chips on it. At least I only have two characters I'd really kill to have — Banjo and Geno — so that gives me four, and if the rest are used, fourteen chances. Not too shabby!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
the response to helloiamhere helloiamhere roster's made me realize that no one is gonna be happy about the final dlc selection so **** it, bring on the surprise, never-saw-it-coming choices and let the salt flow.
I don't think the core Smash fanbase will be happy with the DLC characters as a whole (It's not being made for them after all). It's also particularly why I don't think AAA Mainstream games will get a rep either. I think each character that will be included in this pass are going to be from a Persona level franchise, at least as seen from the west.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don't think the core Smash fanbase will be happy with the DLC characters as a whole (It's not being made for them after all). It's also particularly why I don't think AAA Mainstream games will get a rep either. I think each character that will be included in this pass are going to be from a Persona level franchise, at least as seen from the west.
I agree to some degree. A big franchise would be great for all third parties but not necessarily as seen in the west. As seen ala Dragon Quest

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Square thread, I know that you all are big RPG fans, what do you think of USgamers top 25 RPGs of all time? They have been working on this for a year and have had a podcast dedicated for each selection. Below is a link explaining each choice in a short write up.

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  11. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
  12. Knights of the Old Republic
  13. Fallout: New Vegas
  14. Pokemon Gold and Silver
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  20. Divinity: Original Sin
  21. World of Warcraft
  22. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  23. Nethack
  24. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  25. Final Fantasy 5
For me, I was never a fan of combining WRPGs with JRPGs but it's a good list with some variety. Final Fantasy V is a great game but probably doesn't belong imo. There are some snubs like Final Fantasy VII.

Here's my top 10 RPGs, both WRPG and JRPG.

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
4. Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
7.Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (I'm a casual sorry)
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Square thread, I know that you all are big RPG fans, what do you think of USgamers top 25 RPGs of all time? They have been working on this for a year and have had a podcast dedicated for each selection. Below is a link explaining each choice in a short write up.

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5
For me, I was never a fan of combining WRPGs with JRPGs but it's a good list with some variety. Final Fantasy V is a great game but probably doesn't belong imo. There are some snubs like Final Fantasy VII.

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia
Pretty nice line-up, but that's kinda sad that none of the Mario RPGs made it on there. I think the original Paper Mario and Bowser's Inside Story are great contenders for being one of the 25 best.

As for my personal top ten, uh... I'd have to get back to ya on that one, I'm afraid!

D

Deleted member

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia
FF5 being on the list, above every other game in the series (besides 6 obviously) is odd but I welcome it, it's very overlooked compared to other FF games. Though... I actually haven't played too many of those games, mostly cause I just haven't played many western RPGs.
Out of the games I have played on there though it's a great selection. Chrono Trigger at the top is absolutely deserved, it's a total miracle of a game.
And, if we're sharing lists:
In no particular order, because I'm indecisive:
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Final Fantasy XII
-Dragon Quest XI
-Dragon Quest V
-EarthBound
-Pokemon HG/SS
-Xenogears
-Chrono Trigger
-Paper Mario
-Mega Man Battle Network
Honorable mentions:
-Super Mario RPG
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Final Fantasy V
-Dragon Quest VIII

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I'd be perfectly happy with this roster. Banjo Kazooie is one of my most wanted characters at this point and one of the few I've allowed myself to really have any optimism towards this DLC cycle due to lots of little factors. I have always contended that Dragon Quest deserved a rep in Smash and I have no issue with Erdrick being that rep, especially if his moveset is done well and the entire series receives as much as Persona just did with Joker. Resident Evil isn't my first Capcom pick (Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu (Never happening despite my love), and Dante would probably all come first), but it's also a series that makes complete sense to include and I don't necessarily have a huge preference as to which character, so Jill's fine.

And King Boo is quite possibly the best advertisement first party Nintendo character we could get out of upcoming games (Unless we got a Tom Nook somewhere), so I'd be ecstatic to see him if there needs to be such an advertisement pick for Ultimate. He'd be interesting to see how Sakurai makes him unique, I love Luigi's Mansion, and he's leagues personally favorable to a Pokemon or Fire Emblem rep (Neither of which I dislike mind you).

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

Blank template if anyone wants to use it ( NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ). Credit goes to resetera user CapuKappu. Use Source Sans Variable font to get them lined up with Jokers font.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Chrono Trigger being number is is unsurprising, but deserving nonetheless. It's great to see Earthbound, FFV and FFVI there too, though I find the lack of FFVII, disturbing.

if I had a list, I'd probably include Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Undertale.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Blank template if anyone wants to use it ( NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ). Credit goes to resetera user CapuKappu. Use Source Sans Variable font to get them lined up with Jokers font.
While I am far too lazy to open up Photoshop and use the template right now, I'll still list my ideal pass:

CHALLENGER PACK #1: JOKER
Not even going into detail because we all already know this guy and what he's got.

CHALLENGER PACK #2: ERDRICK
Come on, the fans have been so hopeful this cycle. Let them have their guy. DQ is so freaking overdue in Smash anyway. Give DQ like... at least six music tracks, like. Just give it more than poor Final Fantasy, holy moly? Throw in some Enix-based Mii outfits, too, like DQ ones, a Slime Hat, and maybe one or two Chrono Trigger outfits. Make his stage an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Alefgard with lots of nice cameos. Make his victory screens reference DQIII. Go all out, baybee.

CHALLENGER PACK #3: BANJO-KAZOOIE
One of my two dream picks, I can't NOT include them. For a third challenger pack, perhaps an E3 reveal alongside Erdrick (western pick with an eastern pick), they'd be so perfect. Put Mii costumes of Microsoft and Rare IPs in there. In fact, I can think of specifics I'd love to see: Gruntilda (Mii Brawler), Conker (Mii Gunner), Master Chief (Mii Gunner), Rash (Mii Brawler), Steve (Mii Swordfighter), and Fulgore (Mii Brawler?). Put Microsoft and Rare spirits in there, too, including those sweet ol' Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini spirits. Make the stage Spiral Mountain, maybe a Spiral Mountain that transitions onto the top of Gruntilda's Lair? That'd be so sick.

CHALLENGER PACK #4: FIRST-PARTY CHARACTER
I'm not entirely positive over who I'd place here. A lot of Nintendo first parties already have so many spirits. I could see Kirby squeezing in some more, as well as Pokemon and Fire Emblem. I think we've got enough rep for the latter two, so a Kirby rep would be sick. Maybe Bandana Waddle Dee? Adeleine and Ribbon? I dunno. King Boo is also an appealing idea, and his spirits could be portrait ghosts. Stages, costumes, and music depend wildly on who would be in, of course, but while I think the pass is going to be most, if not ENTIRELY third party, I could see one first party wiggle its way in. Maybe put some of the misc. third party costumes that were lost in here for sale?

CHALLENGER PACK #5: GENO
My second dream pick that I've unfortunately lost all hope for at this point. Put him in with some SMRPG tunes, some Mario RPG spirits (both SMRPG itself and the M&L + PM series), and the iconic Vista Hill, and you've got a heck of a pack here. Timed hits mechanics along with his move set potential would make him potentially different from any shooter character we have so far. Along with the other picks, it would also help in making the pass much more varied. With him, add some Square costumes (not Enix, just Squaresoft) like the return of the Chocobo costume, as well as some Final Fantasy ones (come on, throw the fans a freaking bone and give them Sephiroth and Tifa costumes). Secret of Mana and classic FF would also be nice to see here, too.

My predictions are kinda similar to what I've listed here minus poor Geno. I think instead of him, it'll be like... a Bamco rep or something. Lloyd from Tales of?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia

Any list with CT at the top is a good list.

Since we’re going for personal lists:

... it’s impossible not to make this a square-centric list so I’m going to focus on one per franchise.

1) Chrono (Trigger)
2) Dragon Quest (8)
3) Final Fantasy (7)
4) Mother (2)
5) Golden Sun (TLA)
6) Mario (& Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story)
7) Pokémon (Heart Gold/Soul Silver)
8) Phantasy Star (1)
9) Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Densetsu
10) Sega Heroes

D

Deleted member

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia
Pretty good list from USGamers, I'm surprised. Maybe I would move the placements quite a bit and no FFT (considering lets us cling together) and FFVII feels odd but understandable.

My list would be in no particular order:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. FFVI
3. FFVII
4. Vampire the Masquerade
5. Dragon Quest VII
6. Persona 4
7. Skies of Arcadia Legends
8. Deus Ex Human Revolution
9. Knights of the Old Republic 2
10. FFT

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I agree to some degree. A big franchise would be great for all third parties but not necessarily as seen in the west. As seen ala Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest I see as the "biggest" franchise to get in through DLC. The stance I'm taking on DLC prediction is "What fanbase would spend almost $400 just for a single character in a single game" ($400 = Switch + Smash + Fighters Pass). This is something that was absolutely seen with Joker and something I think will continue for the rest of the pass. Nintendo's own words are the reason for this belief of mine. They are looking to entice new demographics.

In my opinion, I simply don't see your average Resident Evil purchaser, just for example, shelling out $400 for Leon in Smash. On that note, this is also particularly why I don't view Steve as particularly likely in the grand scheme of things despite him being on my prediction list. I simply don't see Minecraft players going out in droves to spend $400 because of Steve being in Smash. (In all honesty, my Microsoft prediction is my biggest Gamble on my prediction list).

For an example of a Franchise I think fits this mold, I'll bring up Hyperdimension Neptunia. While a small series, it has a hefty following of heavily dedicated fans that will buy pretty much anything related to the series. This series also being predominantly on Sony platforms is also a reason for it to be a "new demographic". Now, I don't think Neptune is particularly likely since I'm just using it as a franchise that fits the mold of what I'm talking about.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Bless you sir!

While I am far too lazy to open up Photoshop and use the template right now, I'll still list my ideal pass:

CHALLENGER PACK #1: JOKER
Not even going into detail because we all already know this guy and what he's got.

CHALLENGER PACK #2: ERDRICK
Come on, the fans have been so hopeful this cycle. Let them have their guy. DQ is so freaking overdue in Smash anyway. Give DQ like... at least six music tracks, like. Just give it more than poor Final Fantasy, holy moly? Throw in some Enix-based Mii outfits, too, like DQ ones, a Slime Hat, and maybe one or two Chrono Trigger outfits. Make his stage an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Alefgard with lots of nice cameos. Make his victory screens reference DQIII. Go all out, baybee.

CHALLENGER PACK #3: BANJO-KAZOOIE
One of my two dream picks, I can't NOT include them. For a third challenger pack, perhaps an E3 reveal alongside Erdrick (western pick with an eastern pick), they'd be so perfect. Put Mii costumes of Microsoft and Rare IPs in there. In fact, I can think of specifics I'd love to see: Gruntilda (Mii Brawler), Conker (Mii Gunner), Master Chief (Mii Gunner), Rash (Mii Brawler), Steve (Mii Swordfighter), and Fulgore (Mii Brawler?). Put Microsoft and Rare spirits in there, too, including those sweet ol' Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini spirits. Make the stage Spiral Mountain, maybe a Spiral Mountain that transitions onto the top of Gruntilda's Lair? That'd be so sick.

CHALLENGER PACK #4: FIRST-PARTY CHARACTER
I'm not entirely positive over who I'd place here. A lot of Nintendo first parties already have so many spirits. I could see Kirby squeezing in some more, as well as Pokemon and Fire Emblem. I think we've got enough rep for the latter two, so a Kirby rep would be sick. Maybe Bandana Waddle Dee? Adeleine and Ribbon? I dunno. King Boo is also an appealing idea, and his spirits could be portrait ghosts. Stages, costumes, and music depend wildly on who would be in, of course, but while I think the pass is going to be most, if not ENTIRELY third party, I could see one first party wiggle its way in. Maybe put some of the misc. third party costumes that were lost in here for sale?

CHALLENGER PACK #5: GENO
My second dream pick that I've unfortunately lost all hope for at this point. Put him in with some SMRPG tunes, some Mario RPG spirits (both SMRPG itself and the M&L + PM series), and the iconic Vista Hill, and you've got a heck of a pack here. Timed hits mechanics along with his move set potential would make him potentially different from any shooter character we have so far. Along with the other picks, it would also help in making the pass much more varied. With him, add some Square costumes (not Enix, just Squaresoft) like the return of the Chocobo costume, as well as some Final Fantasy ones (come on, throw the fans a freaking bone and give them Sephiroth and Tifa costumes). Secret of Mana and classic FF would also be nice to see here, too.

My predictions are kinda similar to what I've listed here minus poor Geno. I think instead of him, it'll be like... a Bamco rep or something. Lloyd from Tales of?
I'd go a little differently:

Challenger Pack #4 I hope is either Doom Slayer or Dante from Devil May Cry. The former is influential to the FPS genre and the latter is responsible for the action game boom that influenced Bayonetta.

Challenger Pack #5 is basically the fan desire. Make it a character that actually doesn't have a lot of prominences, so characters like Klonoa, Geno, heck even a Suikoden character which speaking of:

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia
My top 10 (including WRPG and JRPG) is:

1. Dragon Quest 11 (everything about this game is almost perfect. I love every single character and their motivations, I like that it hits the heart strings, the fact that I found it well paced for the most part and how the game is aware of its own identity. Plus the world is absolutely gorgeous.)

2. Suikoden 2 (This game blows me away, from the story to the intense villain. Plus the rune system is incredibly fun and it knows when to get dark. Plus it's just really addictive).

3. Final Fantasy 9 (the best FF imo. The cast is lovable, the world is expansive, and it isn't trying to be a sad tale. It's supposed to be an adventure)

4. Deus Ex (My favorite WRPG, the amount of freedom in this game, the themes, it is just something that can't even be surpassed by its later titles. It's just one of a kind.)

5. Persona 5 (The game has almost everything Persona 4 had and then some. While I found the villains to be bland, the gameplay improvements, the well-rounded cast where I didn't hate everyone (screw teddie), and the improved dungeons just barely edge it out for me.)

6. Tales of the Abyss (Best Tales of game, and you quote me on that. Plus Luke is just the most well-developed protagonist I've ever had the pleasure of playing)

7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (The first xeno game I've ever actually finished, just a lot of fun)

8. Elder Scrolls Skyrim (Nostalgia aside of being the first RPG I've ever played, this game was so fun and gave me so much freedom. Even if the base content eventually starts to wane on you.)

9. Dragon Age Inquisition (This game was addictive and I dug the story a lot).

10. Fallout 3 (loved the atmosphere)

I have a lot on my backlog though, but the first few games are probably gonna stay for a long time.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Dragon Quest I see as the "biggest" franchise to get in through DLC. The stance I'm taking on DLC prediction is "What fanbase would spend almost $400 just for a single character in a single game" ($400 = Switch + Smash + Fighters Pass). This is something that was absolutely seen with Joker and something I think will continue for the rest of the pass. Nintendo's own words are the reason for this belief of mine. They are looking to entice new demographics.

In my opinion, I simply don't see your average Resident Evil purchaser, just for example, shelling out $400 for Leon in Smash. On that note, this is also particularly why I don't view Steve as particularly likely in the grand scheme of things despite him being on my prediction list. I simply don't see Minecraft players going out in droves to spend $400 because of Steve being in Smash. (In all honesty, my Microsoft prediction is my biggest Gamble on my prediction list).

For an example of a Franchise I think fits this mold, I'll bring up Hyperdimension Neptunia. While a small series, it has a hefty following of heavily dedicated fans that will buy pretty much anything related to the series. This series also being predominantly on Sony platforms is also a reason for it to be a "new demographic". Now, I don't think Neptune is particularly likely since I'm just using it as a franchise that fits the mold of what I'm talking about.
I cannot agree more.
This is the exact reason why I see Touhou could actually happen. I don't think it has higher chance though but I totally can see it at the same time.
Tales of series also fits that mold if they choose Yuri over Lloyd. He's gonna bring heaps of fangirls! And they have money.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
...Why King Boo?

But everything else is solid.
Probably because Luigi's Mansion 3 is about to come out and it will be King Boo's 3rd appearance as the main antagonist so he is becoming a slightly bigger and more important character in the grand scheme of things.

But honestly, I think we have enough Mario reps already and I think King Boo has a better shot to get into Smash 6 than he does for Ultimate's DLC cycle.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5
I actually go to USgamer as my main game news website. It's very lax compared to other game news sites, but they're also honest reviewers and won't bow down to public or corporate pressure to give games certain scores.

Anyway, I've been following this list for over a year, and have listened to each entry's podcast, as well, since I listen to lots of podcasts while driving or doing chores. This means the two women who compiled the list gave their reasons for each entry as well as their place on it.

I respect their decision to mix western and Japanese RPGs together because it's a unique perspective, most lists focus on one or the other but not both, same with RPG fans who like sticking to one style over the other. I think the distribution in terms of which game is where is very considered, even if I disagree with a few places (I think EarthBound is a top tenner, for example). Let's face it, "Top X Things" lists are always going to be subjective and the best response to any of them is to see why each entry was chosen to maybe get a new perspective on each game, everyone is different and that's okay.

You mentioned Final Fantasy 7. Their list wrap-up podcast explained that while both of them love FF7 and appreciate how it blew the door wide open for a new generation of RPG fans, they also feel that the original game is a big mess, only barely held together by its mix of ambition and unfamiliarity with these newfangled CD-ROM games, not to mention the wonky translation it got. They chose 6 over 7 because while 6 is also messy, it's much more "together" than 7 is due to Squaresoft's deep understanding and knowledge of the Super Nintendo's capabilities by the time it came out. With this reasoning, I can understand their choice, coming from someone who's a big FF7 stan.

Pretty nice line-up, but that's kinda sad that none of the Mario RPGs made it on there. I think the original Paper Mario and Bowser's Inside Story are great contenders for being one of the 25 best.

As for my personal top ten, uh... I'd have to get back to ya on that one, I'm afraid!
Funny you mention that. Nadia Oxford, one of the women who worked on the list, was sad that they couldn't get Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on it in their list wrap-up podcast, so I do want to let you know that she does love the game and did want to put a Mario RPG on the list.

Pretty good list from USGamers, I'm surprised. Maybe I would move the placements quite a bit and no FFT (considering lets us cling together) and FFVII feels odd but understandable.
They briefly discussed tactics games and felt they, for the most part, didn't belong on the list (it's the reasoning they use to exclude Fire Emblem, as well, despite their love for the series). They did want to include at least one, though, in particular one that felt like other traditional RPGs, and they decided on an Ogre Battle game over FF Tactics for various reasons.

Chrono Trigger being number is is unsurprising, but deserving nonetheless. It's great to see Earthbound, FFV and FFVI there too, though I find the lack of FFVII, disturbing.

if I had a list, I'd probably include Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Undertale.
They actually discussed Undertale, but came to the surprising conclusion that it's not really a JRPG. It's more of a turn based puzzle solving quasi bullet hell, and I understood even if I disagreed. It's worth noting the two of them love the game, though, even more than a few games on that list, even if they felt it didn't belong on it due to their criteria.

Personally, I would have chosen Mother 3 for the EarthBound series game and stuck Undertale in there somewhere.

Alright everyone, I hope, as someone who's listened to each entry's podcast, that these responses helped flesh out your view of their list.

Aaaand here's my top 10 RPGs:
  1. Mother 3
  2. Paper Mario
  3. Undertale
  4. Pokémon SoulSilver
  5. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
  6. Final Fantasy VI
  7. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  8. Chrono Trigger
  9. Persona 3
  10. Helen's Mysterious Castle
Hard to narrow it down to 10, but that's my placement off the top of my head. All are placed by sentimental value rather than "merit", so Paper Mario 1 is there but not TTYD even if the latter is supposedly better, because Paper Mario 1 was my first RPG ever and it blew me away as a kid (about as much as I imagine Super Mario RPG blew away other users on this site as kids). Chrono Trigger is an undisputed masterpiece and it was my first non-Nintendo RPG (I'd only ever played Mario RPGs and Pokémon before) but I've come to prefer all the games above it for my own reasons. Helen's Mysterious Castle is a criminally unknown gem of a game made in RPG Maker 2003 with an extremely delightful tone and a combat system that rivals the Paper Mario games in its ingenuity. Best of all, it only costs a measly $2 on Steam and will last you about 10 hours. It's stuck with me to this day and I want to encourage other people here to play it.

Honorable mentions include the other Mario RPGs, Final Fantasy VII and IV (the only other ones I've played), EarthBound (Undertale managed to supplant it for me), Persona 5, and a few other games I'm most likely forgetting.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Final Fantasy 6
  5. Suikoden 2
  6. Ultima 7
  7. Fallout
  8. Dragon Quest 5
  9. Persona 4
  10. Baldur's Gate 2
  15. Mass Effect
  16. Earthbound
  17. Deus Ex
  18. Diablo 2
  19. Phantasy Star 4
  21. World of Warcraft
  23. Nethack
  25. Final Fantasy 5

1. Mother 3
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Dragon Quest V
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Dragon Quest IV
8.Final Fantasy IV
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Symphonia
Tbh, with no surprise, I found the list to be utter garbo. :4pacman:
My list would be:
1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Mother 3
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Dragon Quest XI
6. Earthbound
7. Secret of Mana
8. Final Fantasy IX
9. Pokemon Gold
10. Paper Mario

I still need to play Persona 5. My expectations would be for it to overtake Paper Mario's spot.
If I were to include WRPGs, I would only put The Witcher 3 below DQXI

Would be pretty insane if they actually followed those colors. This could make it easier to pinpoint the character, given how Joker and P5 is associated to red. I can see Erdrick as blue and Banjo as yellow easily.
Green.... I wish I could say Mako energy and thus Seph or Tifa, but it might be too much wishful thinking. Probably I would go with Monster Hunter rep.
Purple would be the 5th rep that I'm still unsure who would it be. I guess Lloyd? Or Porky for that matter. That would fit perfectly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not good at top tens since I don't really have something I would consider better than another stuff. I can do a list of the RPGs I enjoyed the most without an order doh:

-Dragon Quest 8
-Final Fantasy 6
-Super Mario RPG
-Octopath Traveller
-Pokémon Soul Silver
-Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
-Deltarune
-Xenoblade Chronicles 1
-Dragon Quest: Monster's Jokers
-Secret Of Mana

I don't remember if Kingdom Hearts would kind of count as a RPG, but if it does it would be on this list.

D

Deleted member

But I did like the final roster. One odd character isn't going to kill four great ones, and King Boo can still be fun. Criticism does not mean the product is bad.

It's not like Corrin killed the hype for Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta back in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

But I did like the final roster. One odd character isn't going to kill four great ones, and King Boo can still be fun. Criticism does not mean the product is bad.

It's not like Corrin killed the hype for Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta back in Smash 4.
And even Corrin was for me fun to play with.

I don't mind who gets in as long as I have fun with each character.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Bayonetta almost killed mine. XD

Guys, Nazyrus Nazyrus posted some interesting news in the Sephiroth thread.

http://www.wildfaery.com/info/en/fi...x4sj3WMdFRrg2EhkTqNKZxUl-kt2jQEYH1igViTlqT9FM

S-E announced a concert dedicated solely to FFVII, to be played at the Dolby Theater 2 days before E3. KHIII had the exact same thing going on last year, so this is pretty much a confirmation that the Remake will be seen finally on June 9th.
While this may not be a confirm of anything, it's kinda interesting that Joker got in around the time of a concert themed around the series so close by.
We definitely will have the Remake at the E3. What if... just, what if... Sephiroth got a reveal to coincide with everything there?

D

Deleted member

Bayonetta almost killed mine. XD

Guys, Nazyrus Nazyrus posted some interesting news in the Sephiroth thread.

http://www.wildfaery.com/info/en/fi...x4sj3WMdFRrg2EhkTqNKZxUl-kt2jQEYH1igViTlqT9FM

S-E announced a concert dedicated solely to FFVII, to be played at the Dolby Theater 2 days before E3. KHIII had the exact same thing going on last year, so this is pretty much a confirmation that the Remake will be seen finally on June 9th.
While this may not be a confirm of anything, it's kinda interesting that Joker got in around the time of a concert themed around the series so close by.
We definitely will have the Remake at the E3. What if... just, what if... Sephiroth got a reveal to coincide with everything there?
I would prefer E3 to feature FFVII remake instead.

I really want to see more of that game.

Top Bottom