• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Yes that’s true E3 has Microsoft and Nintendo each year, but this time Smash Ultimate DLC is around. The previous years had not been the case, so it does make sense if Microsoft and Nintendo had partnered up in Smash. To showcase the Microsoft rep at E3 when both parties will be there, plus it’s E3 a huge gaming event, it just make sense. Throw in the fact that Nintendo characters have been appearing on the Xbox One and with Cuphead coming to the Switch. It seems very likely that the next DLC character will be a Microsoft one. Unless Nintendo surprises everyone and shows off 2 DLC characters instead of one, this however seems very unlikely.
Considering that during Smash 4 DLC Nintendo showed 2 characters, I wonder why people think its a stretch they could show 2 again.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
We may potentially see 2 character reveals by e3.

Microsoft will probably have the biggest appearance in E3 this year. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have a few announcements that overlaps within Nintendo.

We are also kind of at a tipping point as well for the fighter pack. I believe introducing a third character around that time will be the push a lot of people need to make that decision of whether or not to invest in the fighter pack.

Unfortunately, if Erdrick is confirmed, I would be a little worried for the future of what is in store for the remaining characters. If Erdrick is picked I would say that Nintendo may be leaning towards a more promotional approach when it comes to selection. This would probably make more obscure characters like Geno less likely.

However, it also shows that these characters all come from series that have had their fair share of sequels and spin offs.Meaning there may be some historical value in the selection process as well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Unfortunately, if Erdrick is confirmed, I would be a little worried for the future of what is in store for the remaining characters. If Erdrick is picked I would say that Nintendo may be leaning towards a more promotional approach when it comes to selection. This would probably make more obscure characters like Geno less likely.
Very true. With that said, though, if someone like Banjo is picked, it'll give me hope for fan favorites again, even if mostly those with living series. The advantage Geno has is that he's from the Mario series, Nintendo's flagship. That, at the very least, gives him an edge for potential future passes or future, miscellaneous DLC. I think he's dead in the water for the Fighter's Pass we have going on now, but if and only if Nintendo decides to make more DLC, a character like Banjo would be a great sign for fan faves.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Considering that during Smash 4 DLC Nintendo showed 2 characters, I wonder why people think its a stretch they could show 2 again.

Because if you notice closely when Joker’s gameplay video was revealed yesterday, there was a date of when the 1st fighters pass will most likely end and that’s February 2020. It would be too soon to reveal two characters at E3 if they are expecting to be done with all DLC by February 2020. Now granted that’s a tentative date, but considering we didn’t even get Joker released until April. It’s seems very unlikely that Nintendo would reveal two DLC characters at the same time. We have to consider that just because Smash 4 DLC showed two at the same time does not mean that Smash Ultimate will follow same pattern.

Edit: Also let’s consider this, E3 is only 8 weeks away. Considering how long it took for us to get Joker released. Does it really make sense for Nintendo to all of sudden start speeding up their time table by showing off not one, but two DLC characters when they have been so slow before? From a time standpoint it makes more sense they would want to space out the reveals and not put them all together. Especially if the two reveals are 3rd party characters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
How that a 30 year old character is promotional?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I guess I can see the point of, "Well, it'd be to popularize DQ more in the West." Smash is one heck of a way to do it, and it'd work. That said, considering how big a deal DQ is in the east, I'd hardly call Erdrick a shill pick. He'd be promotional in part, yeah, but that wouldn't be the central intent behind him. It'd just be a bonus.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I guess Banjo could be at E3 and Erdrick later, or vice-versa. If Brave is Erdrick, it's possible they had other characters somewhat worked on as well, but just had a build with Brave and Jack in the files used as the base for an update by mistake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because if you notice closely when Joker’s gameplay video was revealed yesterday, there was a date of when the 1st fighters pass will most likely end and that’s February 2020. It would be too soon to reveal two characters at E3 if they are expecting to be done with all DLC by February 2020. Now granted that’s a tentative date, but considering we didn’t even get Joker released until April. It’s seems very unlikely that Nintendo would reveal two DLC characters at the same time. We have to consider that just because Smash 4 DLC showed two at the same time does not mean that Smash Ultimate will follow same pattern.

Edit: Also let’s consider this, E3 is only 8 weeks away. Considering how long it took for us to get Joker released. Does it really make sense for Nintendo to all of sudden start speeding up their time table by showing off not one, but two DLC characters when they have been so slow before? From a time standpoint it makes more sense they would want to space out the reveals and not put them all together. Especially if the two reveals are 3rd party characters.
The end date of february 2020 doesnt prevent for characters to be announced and released simultaneously :b

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The thing with Erdrick is, while they may be helping Square promote DQ in the West, they're also using an old character instead of a recent one so idk.
I mean even though he is old, character still has relevance to the series in general. From being in the most important game in the series from a cultural perspective, to having a live show not too long ago.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Watch Nintendo shock everyone and instead reveal the 2nd Bandai Namco rep at E3! :4pacman:

On a more serious note, I dont 100% doubt Nintendo can reveal two DLC's at E3, but I just see it as very unlikely due to how Nintendo has been spacing DLC characters so far.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Watch Nintendo shock everyone and instead reveal the 2nd Bandai Namco rep at E3! :4pacman:

On a more serious note, I dont 100% doubt Nintendo can reveal two DLC's at E3, but I just see it as very unlikely due to how Nintendo has been spacing DLC characters so far.
I don't really view it as very unlikely. As it may go along with the smash 4 dlc release dates which has so far been very similar time windows to what we've been getting so far. Also there is one Bandai Namco rep I'd want:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

How would people feel if this was the final roster?
Personally I would be kind of underwhelmed, that being said I would be happy for other people. Replace Jill with Ryu Hayabusa or a Tekken/Tales rep and id be ok with this list.

NomadLuminary NomadLuminary I suppose well just have to wait and see, good thing E3 is only 8 weeks away. So we will find out soon :), and yeah Lloyd would be a great rep. I still think Bandai Namco is definitely going to get a 2nd rep, so maybe it will be Lloyd.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

If it was just for now, I'd be A-OK with this. If this was all we were getting with no additional DLC, I'd be sad for the lack of my boy Geno, but I'd still have no complaints about this line-up, especially since FREAKING BANJO IS IN IT, HOLY MOLY.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Also... (and this is no offense to DQ fans) but if Erdrik is truly the Square rep then I would argue that they would more then likely reveal two at the same time. I have said that Erdrick won't go over so well with the majority of the Smash fanbase here, especially when they have characters like Sephiroth or Sora (speaking Square only) and I stand by that. If he is in, then they more then likely want to have something like... let say Banjo & Kazooie to ease the blow sort of like how Bethesda showed Elder Scrolls 6 in the same panel they showed the mobile game.
Maybe the Smash Fanbase should be more open-minded about Nintendo classics?

I mean, and this is no offense to Sora and Sephiroth fans, but to have such key piece of the NES era held hostage because people are aggressively demanding a character born in the PS1 / PS2... :glare:

But since things are never ideal, yes, it's obvious there will be a lot of obstinate bitterness if Erdrick gets in, which is why I think pairing Banjo and Erdrick could be a viable 'solution', a solution to what should not be a problem in the first place, but a solution nevertheless.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Personally I would be kind of underwhelmed, that being said I would be happy for other people. Replace Jill with Ryu Hayabusa or a Tekken/Tales rep and id be ok with this list.

NomadLuminary NomadLuminary I suppose well just have to wait and see, good thing E3 is only 8 weeks away. So we will find out soon :), and yeah Lloyd would be a great rep. I still think Bandai Namco is definitely going to get a 2nd rep, so maybe it will be Lloyd.
If we get a Tekken rep, I personally don't want Heihachi. Now Kazuya Mishima would be nice. And yeah I'm hyped for E3.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
He promotes DQ as a whole.

It’s an iconic art style so immediately most casual gamers are gonna recognize him as a dragon quest or dbz character anyways.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we get a Tekken rep, I personally don't want Heihachi. Now Kazuya Mishima would be nice. And yeah I'm hyped for E3.
Heihachi would ne neat but yeah a bigger fan of Kazuya. He has both Mishima style Karate and the Devil Gene, the primary focuses of the game plot and gameplay.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We've already had a lot of conversations about erdrick and all that. Things havent changed and DQ3 is still a big thing in japan, and we've gotten plenty of retro reps, including with ultimate.

Speculation is great, and i like that there's all sorts, including for tekken or anything, but it gets annoying when a character you support keeps being attacked with the same lame arguments over and over and over and over... you get it.

D

Deleted member

If I remember correctly, Square Enix had shown interest in the past about remaking DQ3.

Besides that, Erdrick wouldn’t promote so much else doh.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Erdrick being revealed alone at E3 would be weird because of the Smash fanbase not taking it well, but because most of the audience may just be like "hey he reminds me of Gohan, who is he?" since DQ is so Eastern-centric, plus E3 is very (or just) Western-centric. He could still be revealed alone, I'd just find it odd, but Nintendo doesn't make sense anyway I guess.

I still think Erdrick is coming, though, whether it's E3 or some other time.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Very true. With that said, though, if someone like Banjo is picked, it'll give me hope for fan favorites again, even if mostly those with living series. The advantage Geno has is that he's from the Mario series, Nintendo's flagship. That, at the very least, gives him an edge for potential future passes or future, miscellaneous DLC. I think he's dead in the water for the Fighter's Pass we have going on now, but if and only if Nintendo decides to make more DLC, a character like Banjo would be a great sign for fan faves.

I’m actually not worried about Geno. I believe his chances are much higher than people give him credit for. They are already able to use his likeness as we can see from the icon. How it’s all wrapped under contract is the key thing.

I think he is going to be in regardless even if we get another square rep confirmed. He will be a bonus or come through sometime next year. It’s just a hunch, but I’d say just give him time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Or... Maybe Joker took so long because they're also working on the second and third characters to have them ready to show at E3.

Would buy, but would be confused by King Boo being there, and slightly disappointed by Jill over Leon.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don't think Erdrick being revealed alone at E3 would be weird because of the Smash fanbase not taking it well, but because most of the audience may just be like "hey he reminds me of Gohan, who is he?" since DQ is so Eastern-centric, plus E3 is very (or just) Western-centric. He could still be revealed alone, I'd just find it odd, but Nintendo doesn't make sense anyway I guess.

I still think Erdrick is coming, though, whether it's E3 or some other time.
As much as I want Erdrick to get all the raving praise, it's unfortunate but I agree, Erdrick along with someone else would at least alleviate the haters at least to some degree.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
We've already had a lot of conversations about erdrick and all that. Things havent changed and DQ3 is still a big thing in japan, and we've gotten plenty of retro reps, including with ultimate.

Speculation is great, and i like that there's all sorts, including for tekken or anything, but it gets annoying when a character you support keeps being attacked with the same lame arguments over and over and over and over... you get it.
I wouldn’t take it to heart, I think the conversation is good because it does put things into perspective.

Trust me , all I want right now is to get Sora on that character selection screen. And as a Sora fan, I think we have heard every reason he wouldn’t make it. And a lot of the reasons he would be denied are valid.

But Ultimately, no one really knows until Nintendo confirms it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn’t take it to heart, I think the conversation is good because it does put things into perspective.

Trust me , all I want right now is to get Sora on that character selection screen. And as a Sora fan, I think we have heard every reason he wouldn’t make it. And a lot of the reasons he would be denied are valid.

But Ultimately, no one really knows until Nintendo confirms it.
Sora is still possible and it's all good to cheer for a character you like. I'm sure you dont need to hear all the time why someone thinks he wouldn't be able to make it in, and all that. I think it's great that we're all supporting our own SE characters, tho i will say again that i like a lot of square characters so for me it's not supposed to be a competition.

fighting 1v1 or doubles in smash can be competition ;p

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sora is still possible and it's all good to cheer for a character you like. I'm sure you dont need to hear all the time why someone thinks he wouldn't be able to make it in, and all that. I think it's great that we're all supporting our own SE characters, tho i will say again that i like a lot of square characters so for me it's not supposed to be a competition.

fighting 1v1 or doubles in smash can be competition ;p
That, or all of the Square Seven can go to the big Smash pool party to celebrate Erdrick's inclusion, and they can fight with pool noodles.

Geno's got dibs on the red ones because those are cool-lookin'.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That, or all of the Square Seven can go to the big Smash pool party to celebrate Erdrick's inclusion, and they can fight with pool noodles.

noodles in a pool? eww..
Oohhhh the squiggly things that float at pools! gotcha. sounds.. fun. :)

Even without smash, people should do more crossover fan art. It's always cool to see lots of different characters together.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
noodles in a pool? eww..
Oohhhh the squiggly things that float at pools! gotcha. sounds.. fun. :)

Even without smash, people should do more crossover fan art. It's always cool to see lots of different characters together.
Teeb we are absolutely not jumping into a pool of spaghetti

I mean

I. I hope we're not? Is Master Hand in charge of this one or Crazy Hand? Aw, crud...

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I said this in the Erdrick tab. But it would pretty funny meta wise if Erdrick gets in but hes like the nice guy that gets bullied by the "new generation" just cause.

D

Deleted member

Guys they figured out how to stop us from speculating about Brave.

You can't datamine a Patch if the servers of said Patch are broken.

Nintendo:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Maybe the Smash Fanbase should be more open-minded about Nintendo classics?

I mean, and this is no offense to Sora and Sephiroth fans, but to have such key piece of the NES era held hostage because people are aggressively demanding a character born in the PS1 / PS2... :glare:

But since things are never ideal, yes, it's obvious there will be a lot of obstinate bitterness if Erdrick gets in, which is why I think pairing Banjo and Erdrick could be a viable 'solution', a solution to what should not be a problem in the first place, but a solution nevertheless.
While I'm with you that they should be more openminded, asking that the general Smash fanbase to be more open-minded is impossible. I say that from the perspective of someone that has interacted with Smash fans through tournaments or meeting them at places like Gamestop that I have worked t from time to time. You people over here as some of the few exceptions of being open-minded. Aggressively demanding or not, Sora is a phenomenon worldwide and Sephiroth is a poster boy of iconic villains. Yes, Incineroar and the Plant got a lot of slack first. But that was mostly because of the whole Grinch leak. I'm with people that they should not be the final base reveal but I digress.

For you Dragon Quest fans, I hope I'm wrong and would be glad if I was so. But knowing what I know about the fanbase, and all that jazz I seriously doubt that I am, Sure, I'm still skeptical that there is even a Square rep at all because A) The first one was someone that leakers never saw coming (overused joke I know) B) it has been rumored for MONTHS yet we have nothing C) Spawn in Injustice debacle. But that doesn't mean I hope for insert character X here would get slack when revealed.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

Disappointed. Out of the 5 I only wanted Joker and would be happy to see Banjo.
And why Jill when Leon is more popular? You don't need a to add a female just to fill an imaginary quota and Nintendo/Sakurai should be aware of that.

While I'm with you that they should be more openminded, asking that the general Smash fanbase to be more open-minded is impossible. I say that from the perspective of someone that has interacted with Smash fans through tournaments or meeting them at places like Gamestop that I have worked t from time to time. You people over here as some of the few exceptions of being open-minded. Aggressively demanding or not, Sora is a phenomenon worldwide and Sephiroth is a poster boy of iconic villains. Yes, Incineroar and the Plant got a lot of slack first. But that was mostly because of the whole Grinch leak. I'm with people that they should not be the final base reveal but I digress.

For you Dragon Quest fans, I hope I'm wrong and would be glad if I was so. But knowing what I know about the fanbase, and all that jazz I seriously doubt that I am, Sure, I'm still skeptical that there is even a Square rep at all because A) The first one was someone that leakers never saw coming (overused joke I know) B) it has been rumored for MONTHS yet we have nothing C) Spawn in Injustice debacle. But that doesn't mean I hope for insert character X here would get slack when revealed.
What happened with Spawn?

Top Bottom