• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Next, Street Fighter V is coming to Switch as a port in April.
Never will I get why most o' these fake leakers shoot themselves in the foot with stuff like this.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Deltarune isn't even confirmed to continue past it's initial FREE first episode.

Fake.
Yeah, Deltarune pretty much deconfirms it. That makes no sense. Then there's the absurd amount of the announcements. Like jeez. Isn't Splatoon not getting updates anymore anyways? Also Pikmin 4 loooooool

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
That IGN leak everyone is mentioning now is 100% fake. I went through the replies and the OP said this:

Screenshot_20190103-040103_Chrome.jpg

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Honestly, Why is everyone trusting leakers again? Honestly I don't think Erdrick is gonna happen because A. No new info for a while. B. The whole "Erdrick reveal at Jump Festa" was complete bologna. C. How much work it would take to get him. D. The fact that Nintendo probably won't want to associate with the composer for Dragon Quest because of you know why.
nobody said he was going to be revealed at Jump Fiesta, they said to keep an eye just in case because DQXIS showcasing was going to have a special guest.
that's it
also @liquidmetalslime, it doesn't matter at all because nobody said there will be a Erdrick reveal at Jump Fiesta aside keeping an eye for anything in case.

D

Deleted member

if a modern DQ3 remake does happen, i really wanna see more female Priest fanart
(and i hope they leave the old designs as it was too)
Yeah for DQ1-3 I like the NES designs WAYYYY more than the modern designs.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Never will I get why most o' these fake leakers shoot themselves in the foot with stuff like this.
Well, real leakers shoot themselves in the chest by, well, being leakers.

Needless to say, real leakers are exceedingly rare.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On the topic of Nintendo Directs, it's about damn time. We haven't heard anything from Nintendo outside of Smash news in some time now and their 2019 could be amazing, or just another year. We haven't seen Fire Emblem Three Houses since E3 (Somehow), haven't heard a peep out of Metroid since E3 2017, haven't heard jack about Bayonetta 3 since TGAs 2017. Animal Crossing was a teaser trailer in the September Direct. So many of their bigger titles are still waiting for a more proper reveal or at least big updates. We've got Yoshi and Luigi's Mansion with solid gameplay, and I suspect both are small enough titles to meet a 2019 release even with potential bumps along the road. I'll admit, if I hadn't cared about Smash, 2018 would have been a super disappointing year from Nintendo. I understand they went all out for 2017, but with Smash out, they need to have another big title take the spotlight. Or at the very least, just show off a ton of games.

Anyways, back on our topic, I think if they intend to do a Western release of Dragon Quest 11 S or whatever they're calling it, having that be a big reveal alongside a Dragon Quest character reveal could make a lot of sense. If they want to make a nice push, pairing a Smash character with that game's release could go a long way. I'm also just kind of hoping they do release the game in the states because, as I've said before, I'm much less inclined to play long RPGs on the big screen, and Switch makes things just so much more palpable.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
if a modern DQ3 remake does happen, i really wanna see more female Priest fanart
(and i hope they leave the old designs as it was too)
They do have her exact design from III recreated in Dragon Quest XI as an NPC. She shows up with her sorceress buddy here and there. But you can run into her and her friend the first time when you go to Gondolia, where both are eating food.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Perhaps this has already been brought up, but I ran across someone quoting another post from this Tansut fellow. He says that DQ isn't terribly far along and not to expect a reveal soon.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ultimate-destiny.84900/page-366#post-16422301

Sorta disappointing, but it would seem that he's pretty confident it's happening at least. What do you guys think?
Just adds more evidence that Erdrick was probably planned for base and something went hilariously wrong. Like we talked about yesterday, the character has been known to some degree for almost 6 months so if they're still "not very far along", that's definitely not a good sign as Sakurai has stated that characters take roughly 10 months to a year to develop. Ultimate went platinum nearly two months ago too meaning the resources are definitely there but they're either stalling or something's wrong.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Just adds more evidence that Erdrick was probably planned for base and something went hilariously wrong. Like we talked about yesterday, the character has been known to some degree for almost 6 months so if they're still "not very far along", that's definitely not a good sign as Sakurai has stated that characters take roughly 10 months to a year to develop. Ultimate went platinum nearly two months ago too meaning the resources are definitely there but they're either stalling or something's wrong.
Well since DQ 11 still isn't out on switch probably stalling

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
...Because that's not what they're known for. No, bosses are known for being visible in the castles. Honestly, I don't think you're reading what I actually mean here whatsoever.
If this isn't a prime example of a pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is. Okay, so keep in mind, this is what you said: "it didn't make sense for Dragon Quest monsters to appear on stages because of what the series is known for".
So again: The Castlevania Smash bros. stage has monsters, or bosses in this case, randomly appearing as harmless cameos. Now with a stage like this existing for bosses, why wouldn't it work for DQ enemies on a DQ stage? Especially when DQ is well known for random enemy encounters?

No, that's not what I mean. Are they known for showing up on the battlefield in Bayonetta as well? Because that's what I was confused by. I don't get the example because you didn't explain how it applies similarly in representing how the demons show up in Bayonetta itself.
Again, you could easily look this up on Youtube, but yes.
I didn't realize that a FF game, which did not set up things to come, is the same as DQ, which did. No, doesn't work that way. You can't use examples and say they apply when they blatantly don't. FF isn't being represented that way nor has random enemies show up just for the sake of it. That's not what Midgar is. What happens is monster that are Summons only get Summoned. Just like the actual series. It's only an example if you're talking about being hard faithful.
You say this isn't a proper example unless we're talking about this stage being "hard faithful", and yet you were the person saying that random enemy appearances wouldn't make sense unless there was an RNG mechanic added to it. This isn't hard. The example makes sense given the context that you think that random enemy encounters will only make sense if an RNG mechanic is included. Which means that you are arguing for this to be "hard faithful" and thus, makes this a very accurate example! FF doesn't need to be the first turn-based RPG for this to make sense! It's was faithfully a turn-based RPG using RNG before and long after the release of FF7, that's what the series was known for. The fact that none of that was ever represented shows how little it mattered when making the shift to a fighting game and that means a lot since FF is a far more popular series than DQ. Just dismissing that just because it wasn't the first is completely ridiculous.

Yeah, at this point you aren't even trying to understand the argument in any way.

Those dungeons in Dragon Quest specifically only have the Bosses visible. I feel, due to the fact that Bosses are always visible, they should be the stage hazards because they actually work that way. While saving Monsters for stuff like Spirits and AT's. The reason why is this is something very specific that the Dragon Quest series created as a design. Also, the reason your FF doesn't work is that they aren't even representing any random FF stage or game. They're explicitly representing FFVII and only one stage, Midgar, that only has monsters appear in a very specific fashion. That's exactly how I think it should be, an accurate depiction of the first few Dragon Quest games for the stage. There's not actually a lot of easy Monster choices. But if you only use the bosses, you have a very strong selection of excellent stage hazards that you would see in these kind of castles visually in your typical DQ game. The later games just aren't as well known, so it makes sense for the stage to be based upon the older more iconic games that have had a huge gaming impact.
DQ enemies are only visible during combat. So in a hypothetical DQ stage where combat is constantly happening, it would still properly represent the series if enemies to randomly appeared! Enemies still randomly appear in dungeons, as opposed to the bosses, so it would still properly represent the series if monsters randomly appeared in stages. Whether or not it's as harmless cameos! Midgar still has enemies and is easily the most iconic area in FF7. RNG mechanics are still heavily incorporated in that area (during story-related missions, of course). But the fact that it isn't featured shows that it doesn't matter here. Enemies do not need RNG mechanics to in order for random enemy appearances to represent the DQ series well. I don't think I'm the one having a hard time understanding the point here.

I never once suggested it was the most likely to happen. Which is why that's not even remotely related to my argument. You can keep comparing them to other 3rd party stages, but that's an extreme generalization that ignores the actual argument being made and frankly doesn't explain why they chose them that way. Thus? I don't see the argument as valid because it doesn't do anything to invalidate why Bosses from DQ, who are important to the series respectively, don't make good stage hazards. You haven't given an actual reasoning why it wouldn't work at all. "It doesn't because other 3rd party stages don't do it" isn't real reasoning. Following patterns for the sake of it isn't a great idea. Besides that, all those stages work differently. Some strictly use bosses. Some strictly don't use either enemies or bosses. Some don't use either. They don't share the same narrative for the 3rd party stages. The cameos they have all vary because tons of thought was put into it.

And I put tons of thoughts into why I believe bosses are a good way to represent a Dragon Quest stage for hazards. Agree to disagree, but you're still trying to dismiss the entire thing while using really poor examples of why things aren't as simple as you make it.
1. I never said you thought it was most likely to happen. "What you want vs. what's most likely to happen" meant that you're reasoning is solely based on your preference and nothing more!

2. My comparisons to other third party stages are literally to support the fact that random enemy cameos for the sake of cameos are a thing! Just like the Castlevania and Bayonetta stages! Both of which don't have cameos that attack you, despite whatever you say about how you think a cameo is done!

3. Out of the both of us, it was only ever you who said that an idea would never fit for a DQ stage. If this wasn't clear before then I will say this in a manner that can easily be understood: I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DRAGON QUEST STAGE! Remember, my first response to you was to show you that: "Yes, enemy cameos can happen for the sake of having a cameo. It IS a thing". And ever since you dragged me into this argument, my point has always been "Enemy cameo appearances can easily and properly represent the DQ series. Whether as harmless cameos or stage hazards! Other stages are representing their franchise just fine with doing that, and there is literally nothing that legitimately proves that it doesn't!"

4. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you've actually said to me was "No, enemy cameos are stupid! That's not what DQ is about". As far as I'm concerned you said that the summons in the Midgar stage is how cameos should be done, despite the fact that you contradicted yourself before that by saying that The Castlevania Cameos, who are just there for the sake of having cameos, properly represents the action-adventure Castlevania series to you! The same cameos that you fight as bosses in their original games! You may have put thought into why you want stage boss stage hazards, but you have not put anywhere near as much thought or consideration towards our argument.

All in all, I think I've made my point clear here. Random enemy appearances make total sense for a DQ stage. With or without an RNG mechanic, Hazard or harmless cameo, it would still properly represents the franchise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well since DQ 11 still isn't out on switch probably stalling
That's largely what I'm thinking but it's quickly become kind of an awkward situation because it's now a vague TBA 2019 for Japan and uh... eventually? for everywhere else. I will be genuinely surprised if DQ XI S is released by Q3 at this rate especially with how often Square delays games. It's technically almost two years late already. They might as well be called Squared because that's basically what they do when it comes to the development time for games.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That's largely what I'm thinking but it's quickly become kind of an awkward situation because it's now a vague TBA 2019 for Japan and uh... eventually? for everywhere else. I will be genuinely surprised if DQ XI S is released by Q3 at this rate especially with how often Square delays games. It's technically almost two years late already. They might as well be called Squared because that's basically what they do when it comes to the development time for games.
I say they might as well just release erdrick anyways at this point get it over with we know dragon quest is coming but meh if they wanna take there time. those other characters better be good at distracting us.

Calane

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think you could be right about that. I certainly hope nothing's gone wrong, though. That would break my heart.

To me, it sounds like Erdrick was one of the first DLC characters decided upon, but even though some basic details about him were already planned out pretty early on, he didn't actually start being developed until sometime more recently. Obviously, I have no inside information, but that's what all of this sounds like when I try to put it all together. Well, if all of this information is even true.

In any case, the DLC roster has been finalized, so if Tansut's post is to be believed, Erdrick at least started development even if he's still in an early state.

They could probably make an animated trailer for him and show it off alongside a confirmation of DQXI S's western release. Or maybe with the supposed DQ ports that Vergeben's heard about? Boy, my hopes are starting to get a little bit too high. Better reel it back a bit, lol.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
If this isn't a prime example of a pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is. Okay, so keep in mind, this is what you said: "it didn't make sense for Dragon Quest monsters to appear on stages because of what the series is known for".
So again: The Castlevania Smash bros. stage has monsters, or bosses in this case, randomly appearing as harmless cameos. Now with a stage like this existing for bosses, why wouldn't it work for DQ enemies on a DQ stage? Especially when DQ is well known for random enemy encounters?

Again, you could easily look this up on Youtube, but yes.

You say this isn't a proper example unless we're talking about this stage being "hard faithful", and yet you were the person saying that random enemy appearances wouldn't make sense unless there was an RNG mechanic added to it. This isn't hard. The example makes sense given the context that you think that random enemy encounters will only make sense if an RNG mechanic is included. Which means that you are arguing for this to be "hard faithful" and thus, makes this a very accurate example! FF doesn't need to be the first turn-based RPG for this to make sense! It's was faithfully a turn-based RPG using RNG before and long after the release of FF7, that's what the series was known for. The fact that none of that was ever represented shows how little it mattered when making the shift to a fighting game and that means a lot since FF is a far more popular series than DQ. Just dismissing that just because it wasn't the first is completely ridiculous.

DQ enemies are only visible during combat. So in a hypothetical DQ stage where combat is constantly happening, it would still properly represent the series if enemies to randomly appeared! Enemies still randomly appear in dungeons, as opposed to the bosses, so it would still properly represent the series if monsters randomly appeared in stages. Whether or not it's as harmless cameos! Midgar still has enemies and is easily the most iconic area in FF7. RNG mechanics are still heavily incorporated in that area (during story-related missions, of course). But the fact that it isn't featured shows that it doesn't matter here. Enemies do not need RNG mechanics to in order for random enemy appearances to represent the DQ series well. I don't think I'm the one having a hard time understanding the point here.

1. I never said you thought it was most likely to happen. "What you want vs. what's most likely to happen" meant that you're reasoning is solely based on your preference and nothing more!

2. My comparisons to other third party stages are literally to support the fact that random enemy cameos for the sake of cameos are a thing! Just like the Castlevania and Bayonetta stages! Both of which don't have cameos that attack you, despite whatever you say about how you think a cameo is done!

3. Out of the both of us, it was only ever you who said that an idea would never fit for a DQ stage. If this wasn't clear before then I will say this in a manner that can easily be understood: I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DRAGON QUEST STAGE! Remember, my first response to you was to show you that: "Yes, enemy cameos can happen for the sake of having a cameo. It IS a thing". And ever since you dragged me into this argument, my point has always been "Enemy cameo appearances can easily and properly represent the DQ series. Whether as harmless cameos or stage hazards! Other stages are representing their franchise just fine with doing that, and there is literally nothing that legitimately proves that it doesn't!"

4. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you've actually said to me was "No, enemy cameos are stupid! That's not what DQ is about". As far as I'm concerned you said that the summons in the Midgar stage is how cameos should be done, despite the fact that you contradicted yourself before that by saying that The Castlevania Cameos, who are just there for the sake of having cameos, properly represents the action-adventure Castlevania series to you! The same cameos that you fight as bosses in their original games! You may have put thought into why you want stage boss stage hazards, but you have not put anywhere near as much thought or consideration towards our argument.

All in all, I think I've made my point clear here. Random enemy appearances make total sense for a DQ stage. With or without an RNG mechanic, Hazard or harmless cameo, it would still properly represents the franchise.
There's a lot of things to talk about here, but I just want to say that "DQ enemies are only visible during combat" is incorrect if you meant every single game is like that in the main series.
One of the big changes in Dragon Quest XI is that you can see all the enemies roamin' around now. You have the choice to trigger battle with them or not by walking into or pre-emptive striking them.
However, if you're not higher level than the certain enemy types that are aggressive, they'll spot then run towards you to try and start battle by chasing after you.
They did this so you can choose who you actually want to fight, whether you want to, and if there are enemies you specifically want to farm on.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Perhaps this has already been brought up, but I ran across someone quoting another post from this Tansut fellow. He says that DQ isn't terribly far along and not to expect a reveal soon.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ultimate-destiny.84900/page-366#post-16422301

Sorta disappointing, but it would seem that he's pretty confident it's happening at least. What do you guys think?
If DQ is in Smash, then with this info, I simply don't expect Erdrick to be the second dlc pack. Could just be someone else, like Adeleine, Phoenix Wright, Tap Trial Rhythm Girl, someone else basically.

We've had nothing suggesting that a Square rep would be next after Joker anyway people.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know that Square being Square is always a possibility (or a given) but DQXIs shouldn't have to be delayed un the west if we already have English voice acting in the PS4/PC version they can use, what could possibly stop them from an international release?

And supposedly, western version will keep optional Japanese voice acting so... Whybnot just make it the same game?

(Well one thing do comes to mind. Censorship regarding revealing outfits, most likely).

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I know that Square being Square is always a possibility (or a given) but DQXIs shouldn't have to be delayed un the west if we already have English voice acting in the PS4/PC version they can use, what could possibly stop them from an international release?

And supposedly, western version will keep optional Japanese voice acting so... Whybnot just make it the same game?

(Well one thing do comes to mind. Censorship regarding revealing outfits, most likely).
is there anything major to censor? (also off topic but like your profile pic it feels like yours and mine are looking at something and are both equally disgusted)

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
is there anything major to censor? (also off topic but like your profile pic it feels like yours and mine are looking at something and are both equally disgusted)
On Switch? Nah. Sony's the censor-happy company nowadays and nothin' was "risque" or whatever to the point that anything would need to be censored specifically for the Switch version.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
On Switch? Nah. Sony's the censor-happy company nowadays and nothin' was "risque" or whatever to the point that anything would need to be censored specifically for the Switch version.
Cool I'm happy with that then all though DQ doesn't seem like the series that needs to be censor heavy

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
>around 20 announcements
>Pikmin 4
>F-Zero
>Jet Set Mother****ing Radio

He didn't even try to make it believable lmao

LaxChris is gonna believe it anyways, isn't he?
>Overwatch for Switch

This will never happen considering Nintendo will never create their own dedicated servers. Plus the demand for that game is pretty much gone.

These kind of things add a shroud of doubt that Erdrick is even 100% our guy. We know Cloud was wanted for DLC again, which given the fact they wanted to fight tooth and nail to have him out of the game, what makes us so certain they were already looking into getting an entirely new and complex IP into the game during that time.

I am all for the Square Enix character being a massive white elephant due to this scenario and it just never came to be. Erdrick is your Gematsu character in this case.

However, I don't doubt for a second that we would have knowledge of a SE character for over half a year and also say 'well it hasn't been worked on'

Planned is one thing, but saying it is for sure happening is a completely different thing. I just wouldn't count out the other 4 characters on this list.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Square is notoriously difficult to deal with. Look at Cloud and how little Square gave in his regard. I have little faith that Nintendo will work on getting another Square character.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Square is notoriously difficult to deal with. Look at Cloud and how little Square gave in his regard. I have little faith that Nintendo will work on getting another Square character.
The only possible one I could see Nintendo willing to work for is Geno just due to demand and how the process for approving his likeness in the game is basically completed. For all we know, Geno could have been the one planned for base but due to the Cloud controversy, it was placed on the back burner to satisfy their relationship with Square Enix.

Do you think through all this time of just wanting to get Cloud in the base roster, they would spend it trying to work out the extra work to introduce Dragon Quest into the game? We have our doubts with Sora, but I am certain most of the arguments against Sora can be applied to Erdrick, Slime and others.

I also stand by my claim that if we are getting 'Erdrick is the most common name' passed around inside Square Enix, then that should raise some flags. It isn't Square Enix who is working on DLC for Smash Bros. That would be Nintendo. And there has only been one name mentioned inside of Nintendo of America.
Geno

D

Deleted member

Honestly if the second character revealed isn’t a Square character, put me on team “there isn’t a square character”.

Top Bottom